Random stats, PFF info, Opinions, and more from the Dolphin beatdown

Einstein

Context: For those who don't know, PFF grading is not on a typical 0 to 100 scale like you are used to. With PFF grades, a 60 is "average".

Coaching

- Sometimes change is good. Even when you have a good coach (Frazier), sometimes changing to a different coach is what you need...

Offense/Defense

- The Bills starting defense has allowed points on only 9 drives this year. That's 4th in the NFL.

- The Bills offense has scored on 57% of their possessions. Which is #1 in the NFL.

- The Bills defense has forced a turnover on 26% of opponents drives. Think about that. 

Individual Players

- DaQuan Jones was, by far, the highest graded Bills defensive player yesterday.

- After 4 weeks, the Bills have the highest graded Pass Blocking o-line in the NFL. 

- Off-topic (sorry), but how teams allowed Jalen Carter to fall to Philly is beyond me. The guy is an absolute menace. Instant superstar. 21 pressures in only 4 games, Tied for first place, and T-2nd in DPR. 

- I thought the stiff-arm "get off me" throw of the defender by Knox in the 1st or 2nd quarter was a real tone setter. Perhaps demoralized the Dolphins defense a bit.

- Cook is better, and significantly more versatile, than Singletary ever was.

- Floyd was the most underrated signing of the entire NFL offseason.

- Josh Allen is the only QB in the NFL to have an 80+ PFF Grade in 3 games this season.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

DaQuan Jones was, by far, the highest graded Bills defensive player yesterday.

I don't know if his wife yelled at him before the game or something, but that man was an absolute menace yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Context: For those who don't know, PFF grading is not on a typical 0 to 100 scale like you are used to. With PFF grades, a 60 is "average".

Coaching

- Sometimes change is good. Even when you have a good coach (Frazier), sometimes changing to a different coach is what you need...

Offense/Defense

- The Bills starting defense has allowed points on only 9 drives this year. That's 4th in the NFL.

- The Bills offense has scored on 57% of their possessions. Which is #1 in the NFL.

- The Bills defense has forced a turnover on 26% of opponents drives. Think about that. 

Individual Players

- DaQuan Jones was, by far, the highest graded Bills defensive player yesterday.

- After 4 weeks, the Bills have the highest graded Pass Blocking o-line in the NFL. 

- Off-topic (sorry), but how teams allowed Jalen Carter to fall to Philly is beyond me. The guy is an absolute menace. Instant superstar. 21 pressures in only 4 games, Tied for first place, and T-2nd in DPR. 

- I thought the stiff-arm "get off me" throw of the defender by Knox in the 1st or 2nd quarter was a real tone setter. Perhaps demoralized the Dolphins defense a bit.

- Josh Allen is the only QB in the NFL to have an 80+ PFF Grade in 3 games this season.

The only one that might be an unsustainable stat in there is t/o essentially every 4 drives. That’s tough. The way these boys are playing, they might just pull it off given our best situational pass rusher is not seeing the field.  

Floyd has been an absolute tear of a bargain, thankful for Von as I am sure that played a part. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Coaching

Offense/Defense

Individual Players

I was nervous of no Frazier but the D look's so much better imo. 

Agreed about the Floyd signing, have to give Von Miller credit for that,  And the Knox Stiff arm, reminded me of the Knox stiff arms/violent run versus the Bengals a few years ago.  That play energized a lethargic Bills team the responded by taking the lead and winning the game.

Jalen Carter falling, that was inevitable due to the car crash.

Agree with you on Cook vs Singletary but I have watched Singletary on the Texans and his is having success.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't know if his wife yelled at him before the game or something, but that man was an absolute menace yesterday.

Been a Stud all year.  (Along with Oliver).  Almost like he is on the final year of a contract????   OOOO Wait

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

The only one that might be an unsustainable stat in there is t/o essentially every 4 drives. That’s tough. The way these boys are playing, they might just pull it off given our best situational pass rusher is not seeing the field.  

Floyd has been an absolute tear of a bargain, thankful for Von as I am sure that played a part. 

It is, but teams go on rushes like that over the course of a season. It's the exact kind of opportunity that you need to combine with elite talent to win a championship.

• Like (+1) 1

Which grades did I miss?

You gave zero grades. You did mention Allen was above 80, but didn't show his exact grade. You mentioned Jones graded high, but did not give his grade, etc.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

You gave zero grades. You did mention Allen was above 80, but didn't show his exact grade. You mentioned Jones graded high, but did not give his grade, etc.

Oh. Apologies. I was trying to give easily digestible info (some peoples eyes gloss over with too many numbers.

- Jones has a 90.5 overall defensive grade for the season. That is elite.

- Allen had a 91.1 rating against Miami, 82.3 against Washington and 82.7 against Vegas. Against the Jets it was 49.7

- For the season, Spencer Brown has given up 25% of Allen's pressures. Torrence, Dawkins and McGovern are all at 15%. Morse is at 22.5%.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

DaQuan Jones is a must re-sign.

Absolutely.

The Bills have given contract extensions during their bye week before, let's see if this happens for Jones.

I'd be shocked if they didn't keep him around for a few more years.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

- For the season, Spencer Brown has given up 25% of Allen's pressures. Torrence, Dawkins and McGovern are all at 15%. Morse is at 22.5%.

Since there are 5 Offensive Lineman, I assume the average should be 20% for each OL. So brown is not that much higher than the others.

On 3/27/2023 at 2:20 PM, Einstein said:

Carolina buddy who had McD as a DC for half of a decade says "that Bills defense is Mcdermotts defense". 

I wouldnt expect much change, considering its always been McD's defense.

I told you so…. 😉 

McD taking over the defense made a huge impact on its performance.  

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Coaching

Offense/Defense

Individual Players

Thanks for these tidbits.  I enjoy them on a weekly basis. 

Floyd has helped McD transform the defense.  Easily our best signing and possibly the best signing in the entire league based on the salary and the return.  I really hope he’s a bill longer than this season, but I bet an AFC team will back up the brinks truck for him.  

4 hours ago, Simon said:

I don't know why, but I never remember to watch him in games.  I hear how great he is and have no reason to not believe it.  He just doesn't show up on the stat sheet or make the big plays.  But you can tell he frees up everyone around him to have big games.

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

I'm sure the rate will probably go down that WTF game was nuts, but even in this Dolphins game there were missed opportunities. This defense gets a ton of pressure on the QB and is relentless after the ball. The crazy number might go down but I bet it's still going to be high.

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't know why, but I never remember to watch him in games.  I hear how great he is and have no reason to not believe it.  He just doesn't show up on the stat sheet or make the big plays.  But you can tell he frees up everyone around him to have big games.

I mean he does have 2.5 sacks, 3 TFLs, and 5 QB hits I have no idea why he is somehow an invisible man.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting stat - through 4 games, Bills are averaging 15 more offensive snaps p/gm than their opponents.

Bills O has 273 snaps, D has only played 213.  One would think that's gotta wear out the opposing defense.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I told you so…. 😉 

Schematically there is not much of a difference. But there are definitely some nuanced changes there. 

39 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

Since there are 5 Offensive Lineman, I assume the average should be 20% for each OL. So brown is not that much higher than the others.

Three of the 5 are at 15% and the average of the other 4 is 16.9%.

Brown is nearly 10 percentage points higher.

What’s crazy about the defensive line was that as great as D Jones was Groot and Ed Oliver “caught my eye” just as much and Floyd was also making plays. All 4 of those guys have been menacing and the “rotational” players like AJE, J Phillips, Settle and Shaw Lawson all make plays here and there esp AJE whose probably having the best season from the backups. 

I think the additions of Torrence and McGovern have completely changed the complexion of the offensive line. Dawkins playing a lot better (he wasn’t bad last season but he has been very good this season) and Brown being much less of a liability (he was downright awful last season this year he is maybe below average to average at times) have also massively contributed to the improved performance of the unit.

I just looked at the PFF grades for this game. Any time I want to start giving PFF more credence I just can't do it, some of the grades they give out are too goofy. In this one they rated Ed Oliver with a 52.4, Taron Johnson with a 55.9, and Terrel Bernard with a 56.4. All below average grades. I'm sorry but that doesn't remotely match up with what I watched yesterday. I have seen players criticize PFF for failing to consider the players' jobs on a snap to snap basis. This appears to be a good example of that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I wish we could get an honest answer. Is McD dialing up better calls? Or is this the Floyd, healthy Rousseau,  healthy Oliver, healthy Hyde, healthy White(gulp), and more instinctive Bernard cumulative effects? Was Frazier held back by Edmunds lack of play making?

Frazier had statistically good defenses but they never felt this aggressive. McD is rarely bringing more than 4 guys. 

7 hours ago, BBFL said:

It does not matter.  A punt is as good as a turnover for us.  Are expected scoring value does not change much if we start at our 20, our 40, or their 40. 

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I just looked at the PFF grades for this game. Any time I want to start giving PFF more credence I just can't do it, some of the grades they give out are too goofy. In this one they rated Ed Oliver with a 52.4, Taron Johnson with a 55.9, and Terrel Bernard with a 56.4. All below average grades. I'm sorry but that doesn't remotely match up with what I watched yesterday. I have seen players criticize PFF for failing to consider the players' jobs on a snap to snap basis. This appears to be a good example of that.

Not defending or criticizing the PFF grades.  But the Dolphins drove the field with ease for TDs the first two drives, and put up good offensive numbers for the game. The Dolphins had a lot of "plus plays".  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.