Dolphins @ Bills Postgame thread

djp14150

5 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Their offense is gimmicky.

Ā 

Disrupt the timing, no answersĀ 

It's not a gimmicky offense at all and saying so kind of down plays how well we were able to play it. Everything the Dolphins do is designed to get defensive players eyes in the wrong spots and create numerical advantages through movement. This much motion is the future of offensive football.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, HoofHearted said:

It's not a gimmicky offense at all and saying so kind of down plays how well we were able to play it. Everything the Dolphins do is designed to get defensive players eyes in the wrong spots and create numerical advantages through movement. This much motion is the future of offensive football.

It's literally a one read offense. That's the definition of gimmicky.

Ā 

Take away the first read it's over for tuaĀ 

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It's literally a one read offense. That's the definition of gimmicky.

Ā 

Take away the first read it's over for tuaĀ 

Kind of, so much of it relies on Tua's pre-snap reads on the defense.Ā  McD just happens to be the best in the biz at disguising coverage.Ā 

20 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Don't believe me? Listen to an actual dolphin fanatic

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Oh good, I'll listen to some other fan who doesn't know squat about football lol. Does Miami run a ton of full field reads? No. Neither does the majority of the NFL. Welcome to the modern passing game my man. Half field reads - reading single defenders who you're scheming to put into conflict so they can't be right regardless of where they go. Which makes what we were able to do all that more impressive.

Ā 

EDIT: By the way I lost interest when buddy said we switched to playing almost exclusively man coverage in the middle of the 2nd Quarter lol.

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

I think we are the first team that wised up to using the motion to help us jump the snap count for whatever reason. Ā the DL was all over the throwing lanes right off the snap like they were getting shot out of cannons. There seems to be a disadvantage to the way the dolphins use motion that wasnā€™t really capitalized on until this week. Ā 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think we are the first team that wised up to using the motion to help us jump the snap count for whatever reason. Ā the DL was all over the throwing lanes right off the snap. There seems to be a disadvantage to the way the dolphins use motion that wasnā€™t really capitalized on until this week. Ā 

DL wouldn't be able to see it. All the short motion outside is completely out of their view. It's possible an off-ball rusher could time those, but it turns into the same type of situation with the New England FG block that everyone was enamored with - as long as there is variation in it offensively it's not something you can time up.

22 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

It's not, but if that's what helps you sleep at night... sure.

Iā€™m with you that itā€™s not a gimmick offence as Miami will cause problems all season.

Ā 

But Miami is a timing based offence and Tua is an 80 percent first read thrower.

Ā 

It seemed like the bills caused a lot of issues disrupting that first read which caused problems for Tua

Ā 

Do you think teams can replicate that?Ā 

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Shoutout to Daquan Jones, Ed Oliver, Micah Hyde, Oā€™Cyrus Torrence and Dawson Knox for unheralded yet necessary contributions to the win.

Ā 

Wilkins was noticeably quiet thanks to the rookie!!

Ā 

Heā€™s a future All Pro in the making!

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Iā€™m with you that itā€™s not a gimmick offence as Miami will cause problems all season.

Ā 

But Miami is a timing based offence and Tua is an 80 percent first read thrower.

Ā 

It seemed like the bills caused a lot of issues disrupting that first read which caused problems for Tua

Ā 

Do you think teams can replicate that?Ā 

All offenses are timing based to one degree or another. Miami is a half field read team. They design concepts that read at most two defenders, and create movement that pulls players out of position (i.e. Milano getting thrown over on the Y pop early in the game). They do a really good job at creating numerical advantages with their motions as well as putting your force defender in conflict. Add all this to the fact that they make their money on attacking conflict defenders - of course he's an 80% first read thrower - it's a product of the play design. That is what offensive coordinators strive for - their first read to be open every time lol. To call that a gimmick is amusing - it's just well designed and executed play calling.

Ā 

The Bills did a really good job of mixing up coverages and switching off who the force defender was. That's what led to the muddied reads.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Taylor Rapp. I don't think I've seen it discussed in this thread how he played. Many were concerned about losing Poyer but I think the results speak volumes about the secondary in general, including Rapp.

Anyone with a specific evaluation about how Rapp played? Seems like a very smart signing by Beane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Ā 

Particularly defense. How much of the 'soft' attitude of the past stemmed from the leadership of Frazier and the example of Edmunds? They both were the sort to just hang on and hope the other guy makes enough mistakes. With them out of the way, the beating heart of the defense is now 58 and 43: fast, smart, agressive, looking to impose their will on the offense instead of the eternal bend-and-don't-break-till-the-playoffs. I'd add Oliver in there too. If anything he's been even more ornery and arriving at ball-carriers in a truculent mood since scoring his contract, which is absolutely an anomaly in the league.

Indeed ss the first impression he made after getting drafted.Ā  Was rubbing his hands tigergerclujevhe knew he was gettingbpaid. And just after the college coat on sidelines fiasco just gave off the entitled athlete vibe.Ā  Glad to see he's out earning his contract after signing that's nice change to see a player elevate hisĀ  plaĆ½ to match contract he got.

48 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Shoutout to Daquan Jones, Ed Oliver, Micah Hyde, Oā€™Cyrus Torrence and Dawson Knox for unheralded yet necessary contributions to the win.

The Torrence pick finally got some mention on the broadcast talking about the improved run game.

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

Bummer disclaimer.

Ā 

Anybody wanna talk about how impactful Miami's offensive line injuries were today? From being down their starting OC at kickoff, to losing their LT in-game...

Ā 

That progression of o-line unavailability no doubt helped the Bills tremendously. Armstead left the game late in the 2nd quarter, right around the time the Bills defense was absolutely locking down the Dolphins offense.

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Bummer disclaimer.

Ā 

Anybody wanna talk about how impactful Miami's offensive line injuries were today? From being down their starting OC at kickoff, to losing their LT in-game...

Ā 

That progression of o-line unavailability no doubt helped the Bills tremendously. Armstead left the game late in the 2nd quarter, right around the time the Bills defense was absolutely locking down the Dolphins offense.

Ā 

Von's out, Poyer's out, Benford got dinged, Tre went down. Every team has injuries.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Being able to zero in on some plays while rewatching various series, Milano was looking like Luke Kuechly out there. He was an absolute beast today and him and Bernard were responsible for getting Tua off his first read on many occasions today. That tandem is putting together a solid season early on.Ā 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Bummer disclaimer.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Meh, it's not like Armstead is a pillar of stability for them. Ā  He missed 14 games his past two seasons entirely and exited seemingly every other one in between for parts of those games. Ā  Ā He missed the first two games of this season as well.

Re-watching the game, and Tony Romo said two very stupid things(shocker) in the first quarter:

Ā 

ā€Vic Fangio May be the one guy who can slow down Josh Allen.ā€

Ā 

ā€I see now that the Dolphins game plan is to take Diggs out of the game.ā€

Ā 

Josh Allen 300+ yards and five total TDā€™s

Ā 

Diggs 6 catches 120 yards 3 TDā€™s

Ā 

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Ā 

Ā 

Also, on the James Cook TD run, Oā€™Cyrus Torrence just pancaked Christian Wilkins into the turf....love it!!!!

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 7

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

Von's out, Poyer's out, Benford got dinged, Tre went down. Every team has injuries.

For sure injuries are an inevitability for every team, to varying degrees.Ā 

Ā 

My suggestion was simply that Armstead going out roughly coincides in the game with when the Bills defense starts to really clamp down (2nd half of 2nd quarter). It sorta tracks, circumstantially.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

As someone who lives 500+ miles from Buffalo, I greatly appreciate being able to stay close to team news, talk, and opinion via places like TBD and WGR radio. I know WGR gets a bad wrap from many locals, but for me itā€™s a great lifeline especially in game day and for postgame talkā€¦but holy crap do Shoop (or whatever his name is) and the Bulldog have a way of sucking the life out of a great win. Condescending and Crotchety are a couple of apt C-words for these two (thereā€™s probably another one too, but I donā€™t want to get banned ).

Ā 

Despite those two, this was a helluva statement victory!Ā 

After a big win it used to be enjoyable basking in the afterglow of the victory by listening to the post game commentary and callers. But, I canā€™t handle much of those 2 guys who now do that show. I canā€™t tell you exactly what it is about them that rubs me the wrong way. I guess to my ears they sound like the know-it-all jerks at the end of the bar who never shut up and act like their opinions are gospel. About 5 minutes is all I can handle.Ā 
Side note: anyone who goes by a moniker like ā€˜The Bulldogā€™ I immediately assume is an A Hole.Ā 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.