OT…Have sports debate shows run their course?

78thealltimegreat

16 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t watch any ESPN unless they have a game I want to see. A bunch of guys all talking/yelling over each other at the same time has ZERO appeal to me. 

I find Dan Patrick to be the best option in terms of that type of entertainment. He didn’t do the same flawed formula, and I appreciate that. 

I don’t even watch pre-game shows anymore. It’s just a waste of time.

• Agree 3

NFL Live is decent, but that's mainly because Dan Orlovsky and Mina Kimes know what they're talking about and the cast has good chemistry.

I think that's the only show on ESPN that I can stomach.  Everything else is hot takes and nonsense.  

GMFB is on every day at my office and is decent for what it is, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a debate show. 

This is an interesting question. To discuss it I'm joined by two guests, Stephen A and Stephen B.

What do you guys think?

Stephen A: brahhhhhhh blahhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh y'all brahhhhhhh blahhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh homies!

Interesting. Stephen B?

Stephen B: rrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, burahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you crazy hooooooodddddddddooooooooooooo whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks guys. Coming up next, Josh Allen told Hyde he loves him. Is Josh Allen gay and is this reason his relationship fell apart?

• Haha (+1) 1

You will get much more team specific details from YouTube fan vids or podcasts. When we play a team I check YouTube for videos from the other team, whether they are fans or their local media.

I think what you will see more and more is podcasts from the players themselves. The Kelsey Bros have one of the most successful podcasts going right now. Bussin with the Boys is big and they were doing it while they were playing but both guys now retired. Do we really need Sal Cappuccino asking generic questions and players giving canned responses when you can see them let loose on their own podcast?

• Like (+1) 2

For me, ditching Colin Cowherd last year has been a load off my mind. 

His show has disintegrated into the same 3 topics everyday. 

But as others have said, Dan Patrick - YAWN - yeah Pauly, yeah Fritzy, yeah McLovin, yeah - all show long, 

You've got guys all over media that have been there for 20 years now - and they won't get out of the way. So it's the same voices, rearranged differently on the mainstream. 

For instance, listen to Brady Quinn, Lavar Arrington and Jonas Knox on the FOX morning show. It inevitiably ends up being Arrington and Quinn talking about their career, and Penn State, Notre Dame. 

All of the national shows are generic commentary. They'll say something like Mahomes is really good, Allen isn't as consistent. The topic de-jour today is ripping Deshaun Watson apart. But none of it is specific to the play calls, the actual reads on plays, drops, offensive line play, etc. 

That's why PFF, PFT, QB Confidential, QB School on Youtube have all given people a new path that didn't exist 5 years ago. Actual tape broken down by real experts, not fans with a microphone. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To me sports media is very fractured at this point.

Major networks like ESPN have moved away from what we liked with sportscenter to be quasi talk shows because enough people care more about the drama then the sports. But everyone copies that so you just have redundancy and no originality either.

Factor in then that there is superb media options with podcasts or streamed shows like Pat McCaffee or PFT or work from people at the athletic and its has eroded the pie where I don't think you ever see one dominant program again or network.

I personally ignore the Steve As or Skip or Colin because their all the same. It is for clicks and viewers not the truth or anything remotely of substance.

Can't watch them.... won't watch them.  Nick Wright is the apotheosis of bad sports reporting.  He has taken Cowherd's approach and went 10x with it.  He's the king of hot takes and all of his content is designed to incite anarchy.  He wants to be infamous and generate the most clicks possible.  If you're into that sort of thing.... great.  But if you're looking for detailed and accurate information without bias, I suggest looking somewhere else.  You can lump most "big" names into this category, but Nick is the worst.  Cowherd, Kellerman, Stephen A, Skip, etc.

They're really just entertainers with an act or schtick, no real substance. 

3 hours ago, UConn James said:

I don’t even watch pre-game shows anymore. It’s just a waste of time.

I don't watch pregame or post game.  Most of the time I watch the game on mute or try to sync up the Bills radio broadcast.

I’ve said on this board for a long time, I just don’t watch those shows.  As an overall assertion, I don’t see real analysis with objective facts.  It’s hot take city and waste of my time.

if I’m on vacation I might catch GMFB for a couple of minutes, but I’m working during most of these shows.  

I like matchup on Sunday mornings with Greg Cosell as they do their he, breakdown opponents and can back up their claims.  That provides value as they point to things to watch that day with two opponents.

I do enjoy Movin The Chains on NFLR as they are relatively objective, not filled with hit takes and have good analysis of teams.  If you have an hour to kill waiting on hold can be fun to chat with the guys for a couple of minutes.

Theres always some good podcasts, but the shows you’re referring to are a bunch of idiots trying to overreact to everything week to week.

The sports reporters was the best panel show in ESPN's tenure.  They weren't about BS, they had 4 guys who knew sports come together to thoroughly discuss sports stories without making it a spectacle

Miss that show - whatever we watch now is just terrible.  And any individual who has a decent mind and wants to be honest gets caught up in the competition of podcasts and has to speak out to stay relevant.  Or, they go to a big company and have to play a part to get airtime.

On 9/21/2023 at 9:38 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

All of the national shows are generic commentary. They'll say something like Mahomes is really good, Allen isn't as consistent. The topic de-jour today is ripping Deshaun Watson apart. But none of it is specific to the play calls, the actual reads on plays, drops, offensive line play, etc. 

That's why PFF, PFT, QB Confidential, QB School on Youtube have all given people a new path that didn't exist 5 years ago. Actual tape broken down by real experts, not fans with a microphone. 

This.  I'd much rather spend my free time watching/listening to real football insight than fake-ass media turds.

Another one on YouTube that I've been enjoying is The DB Room with Glover Quin.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.