The biggest non play Monday night

Billever76

It's 4th and 2,we have just knocked Rodgers out of the game. The entire stadium was flat and in disbelief what just happened...the MOMENTUM was screaming come and take me....womp womp womp McDermott trots out Tyler bass for a chip shot FG and a 3 point lead...what a gutless Coaching decision

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 18
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, MJS said:

In a defensive struggle where your offense is scratching and clawing for every yard? You take the points there. It was the right call.

It was the beginning of the game....Rodgers was just taken out...we had drove down the field and had a dagger ready to stab all momentum out of the entire stadium.... McDermott chose a pillow over the dagger

• Disagree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You take the points. You have zack wilson coming in with a poor offensive line in front of him. Should be a cake walk...................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

McDermott makes some head-scratchers, isn’t wasn’t one of them.

More upset over the 3 & out play call in OT

Gotta think he knows his players and at that point he knew Josh was in a sugar induced coma throwing up ducks hoping for a miracle.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Ramza86 said:

You take the points. You have zack wilson coming in with a poor offensive line in front of him. Should be a cake walk...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Would Andy Reid take the points? That's what separates good coaches from the greats...football is about momentum..early in the game we pick up that 4th and go in to score a TD the jets NEVER RECOVER

1 minute ago, AuntieEm said:

Gotta think he knows his players and at that point he knew Josh was in a sugar induced coma throwing up ducks hoping for a miracle.

Except josh gave no indication he was sugar rush at that point lol...he was efficient and taking what the defense left open...nah that screams I don't trust my guys to pick up 2 yards 

• Disagree 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

Hè maybe should have pulled Josh for a bit after 3rd int.  Give him a reality check not pleasant but anyone here think  that would snap Josh out of thinking too much.  The shock would certainly get his attention.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Would Andy Reid take the points? That's what separates good coaches from the greats...football is about momentum..early in the game we pick up that 4th and go in to score a TD the jets NEVER RECOVER

Except josh gave no indication he was sugar rush at that point lol...he was efficient and taking what the defense left open...nah that screams I don't trust my guys to pick up 2 yards 

I was responding to the point someone said they were more concerned about the 3 and out in it.  By then everyone knew Josh was  in a comatose state.  I would not even have questioned if McDermott let Kyle play the ot . Talk about hammering home the take what they give game if  Kyle pulled the game out in ot doing just that.  It would have caused a media  sideshow though that could derail the whole team into a divided  group.    But it certainly is possible that would have been a correct  call.  But it is only 1st game so it isn't quite that desperate as te.  As a coach I'd tell Jish if he keeps getting into these fun thatvwill happen.  Just letting him know he'd do that might prevent Josh from Fallin into the chasm in future games.

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

McD is statistically one of the most aggressive coaches in the league. This was discussed some time ago.

im fine with points there in the situation that we were in

Wonder why he is labeled ultra conservative then....he shrinks in big moments and regardless what anyone thinks that moment was HUGE

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The worse call was declining the penalty and letting Jets kick the 45 yarder. Should have pushed them back 10 and maybe you get a sack or turnover. They were very unlikely to convert a 3 and 25. 

Yea for a defensive coach to not give his defense a chance to be the heroes of game seemed rather gutless. It is one reason I'm kinda leaning that the team decided they'd sacrifice the game to kind of drive home the point that players play coaches call the plays. As well being we are the only NY team let the NYC area have a happy outcome to alleviate some of the tragic memories that 9/11  bring back.  As it is the Jets season kinda came crashing down when Aaron Rodgers was hurt for the year in just 4 snaps as Jets QlB.

Edited by AuntieEm

23 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

It was the beginning of the game....Rodgers was just taken out...we had drove down the field and had a dagger ready to stab all momentum out of the entire stadium.... McDermott chose a pillow over the dagger

Going for it on fourth and 2 against on the second drive is a dagger? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

It's 4th and 2,we have just knocked Rodgers out of the game. The entire stadium was flat and in disbelief what just happened...the MOMENTUM was screaming come and take me....womp womp womp McDermott trots out Tyler bass for a chip shot FG and a 3 point lead...what a gutless Coaching decision

My exact text from when the FG unit came out: "McD taking his foot off the gas instead of going for the throat. We'll let them hang around all game now"

This was right after Rodgers went down and they were at their most vulnerable. A TD there is an absolute dagger. A FG gives them a moral victory to rally around.

It's the same lack of cut-throat attitude that keeps us soft in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Going for it on fourth and 2 against on the second drive is a dagger? 

In that situation, yep

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea for a defensive coach to not give his defense a chance to be the heroes of game seemed rather gutless. It is one reason I'm kinda leaning that the team decided they'd sacrifice the game to kind of drive home the point that players play coaches call the plays. As well being we are the only NY team let the NYC area have a happy outcome to alleviate some of the tragic memories that 9/11  bring back.  As it is the Jets season kinda came crashing down when Aaron Rodgers was hurt for the year in just 4 snaps as Jets QlB.

just lol let's go with that

McD felt so bad for the NY Jets after Aaron Rogers got hurt that he threw the game to keep everyone's spirits up

If we're ever going to evolve into a more tender, caring people, this should must become the norm!

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

We get it. You feel McDermott is soft. You'd rather Dan Campbell be our coach, yes?

Good comparison. It was interesting on Thursday Night when the Lions got the ball back before halftime. 34 seconds left, down 14-7.

They could have just kneeled it and gone to the locker room. Instead they managed to run 7 plays and get to midfield before stalling and running out of time.

But it was pointed out what a deliberate move it was to decide to run real plays instead of just conceding the half. Showed the team that they are going to fight for every inch in every second they were given.

The Lions kept fighting and came back and won.

We took the soft way, showed the team we could "settle", and allowed the Jets to come back and win.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My exact text from when the FG unit came out: "McD taking his foot off the gas instead of going for the throat. We'll let them hang around all game now"

This was right after Rodgers went down and they were at their most vulnerable. A TD there is an absolute dagger. A FG gives them a moral victory to rally around.

It's the same lack of cut-throat attitude that keeps us soft in the playoffs.

In that situation, yep

Indeed.  Everyone wants to compare football to a battle in a war.  Never been in combat as a woman I likely would not have been on any frontline but  even I know in war you don't give your enemy any respite when you can deal more damage.   Heck you throw in two grenades if possible into any bunker you find to be sure it can't be reused once u get it behind you.

• Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

He absolutely would have.  He's one of the most conservative coaches in the game when it comes to 4th downs.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Good comparison. It was interesting on Thursday Night when the Lions got the ball back before halftime. 34 seconds left, down 14-7.

They could have just kneeled it and gone to the locker room. Instead they managed to run 7 plays and get to midfield before stalling and running out of time.

But it was pointed out what a deliberate move it was to decide to run real plays instead of just conceding the half. Showed the team that they are going to fight for every inch in every second they were given.

The Lions kept fighting and came back and won.

We took the soft way, showed the team we could "settle", and allowed the Jets to come back and win.

Imagine this buffalo bills team getting 7 plays off in 34 seconds

just picture it

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

just lol let's go with that

McD felt so bad for the NY Jets after Aaron Rogers got hurt that he threw the game to keep everyone's spirits up

If we're ever going to evolve into a more tender, caring people, this should must become the norm!

Well it's a positive take.  And I already suspect there's alot of decisions that are made  by refs ètc that certainly are mind boggling unless there's a agenda that's being filled.   I tend to think much is scripted and I have yet to see any concrete proof that it isnt.   

Edited by AuntieEm

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

He absolutely would have.  He's one of the most conservative coaches in the game when it comes to 4th downs.  

In that moment he absolutely would not 😂...he wouldn't call a 4-5-2 soft coverage flooding the sidelines and leaving the middle open with 13s  and 3 point lead with the opposing team having all 3 timeouts either

12 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I was responding to the point someone said they were more concerned about the 3 and out in it.  By then everyone knew Josh was  in a comatose state.  I would not even have questioned if McDermott let Kyle play the ot . Talk about hammering home the take what they give game if  Kyle pulled the game out in ot doing just that.  It would have caused a media  sideshow though that could derail the whole team into a divided  group.    But it certainly is possible that would have been a correct  call.  But it is only 1st game so it isn't quite that desperate as te.  As a coach I'd tell Jish if he keeps getting into these fun thatvwill happen.  Just letting him know he'd do that might prevent Josh from Fallin into the chasm in future games.

Thats not entirely fair. Josh had just drove the field to get a last second FG to tie the game. He wasn’t completely comatose.  I agree with others, the draw play on OT on 2nd down right into the teeth of stout line is a cute play that rarely works.   Hell, I woulda preferred a josh designed run over that!  Any thing really. 

And there was nothing wrong with the FG on the first drive. The sure points, against a team that probably wont score a lot is not a bad decision.  However, I will say, overall, they did seem to have a rather timid game plan. It felt like the Jets were dictating the game and the Bills were reacting.  

12 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Thats not entirely fair. Josh had just drove the field to get a last second FG to tie the game. He wasn’t completely comatose.  I agree with others, the draw play on OT on 2nd down right into the teeth of stout line is a cute play that rarely works.   Hell, I woulda preferred a josh designed run over that!  Any thing really. 

And there was nothing wrong with the FG on the first drive. The sure points, against a team that probably wont score a lot is not a bad decision.  However, I will say, overall, they did seem to have a rather timid game plan. It felt like the Jets were dictating the game and the Bills were reacting.  

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Wasn't the first drive it was our second drive and all momentum was just begging to be seized as Rodgers was just knocked out the game 😂...it was a defining moment early on...defining moments don't always present themselves late in games..sometimes they are early

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

I had no issue taking the fg.  Heck next time if it's a do or die situation I'd have Bass throw a td or for fd as a trick play that would really stab the opponent in the same circumstances.  Unlikely to ģet that situation again.  

But that would certainly have been a better killshot.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.