Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ok, so Florio says he believes if they miss the playoffs either McDermott or Beane or both are out. And he says it with such conviction.

This is the most solid proof yet that neither are going anywhere.  

I would love to hear from Terry Pegula even though I know that won't happen. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Gregg said:

We might hear from him after the season. Hearing from him right now, I don't think he'd be saying anything concrete anyway. Be a lot of "Well this isn't going how we thought this year." that would just lead everyone into reading whatever their own preconceived notions was prior. Would do more harm then good...and especially because Terry isn't a very good public speaker lol.

My personal feeling is we will hear from Terry IF there is a GM or HC change. Otherwise it will just be Beane at the season ending presser talking about the injuries and being tight against the cap.

• Agree 4

talking heads saying anything these days is just insane. there are so many just talking that you can easily find your confirmation bias. i am 100% sure i can find a news source of reputable knowledge saying with conviction there is no way Beane or McDermott will be fired.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, boyst said:

talking heads saying anything these days is just insane. there are so many just talking that you can easily find your confirmation bias. i am 100% sure i can find a news source of reputable knowledge saying with conviction there is no way Beane or McDermott will be fired.

True. A lot of what is out there is BS. It's not like Florio is some scrub hack with 10 followers on twitter. I am sure he has legit connections in the league. That doesn't mean McDermott is getting fired either. We will see how the season plays out and if anything happens it will be once the games are over.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

What’s hard for me with all of this is just trying to set the bar if he does return. What is it? Super Bowl or bust? Surely another failed playoff attempt wouldn’t be deemed successful. Seems like a pretty bad situation for all involved.

This. 

No more "championship caliber" banners when you miss the playoffs

Time to get a coach in here who promotes that thinking without it being on a banner in a practice facility.

Edited by ClemsonBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I’d like to keep Beane.  While not perfect this roster is pretty darn good.   I trust him to bring in the right coach.

If someone told me 6-6 with this roster, before the season, I’d have assumed Allen missed 4 games and we went 0-4 without him 

Edited by peterpan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Gregg said:

1) The Bills extended McDermott and Beane  before the season 

2) The fans are disappointed in the results this season 

3) to the best of my knowledge Mr. Pegula, Mr. Beane and Mr. MCDermott have made no statements that they are similarly disappointed 

4) is it possible that the Senior team knew the defense was old and washed, and felt as they needed the season to evaluate Dorsey, and that the results so far are in line with their expectations 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Absolutely right on.  No playoffs and he needs to go.  Hit the nail on the head it is all about Allen and Pegula needs to understand that.

Then there's just terrible in game decisions and a Defensive minded coach, whose defense can't make the stop when counted on.

How can it be acceptable in any universe that McDermott doesn’t get canned if they miss the playoffs. This is a playoff roster and Pegula has got to hold his coach accountable. If not the precedent is set for it to be ok with not getting results. That will trickle down through the whole team all the way to the waterboys. But then again this world with its narratives doesn’t function on reality anymore so who knows.

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

1) The Bills extended McDermott and Beane  before the season 

2) The fans are disappointed in the results this season 

3) to the best of my knowledge Mr. Pegula, Mr. Beane and Mr. MCDermott have made no statements that they are similarly disappointed 

4) is it possible that the Senior team knew the defense was old and washed, and felt as they needed the season to evaluate Dorsey, and that the results so far are in line with their expectations 

Or not…, that they were extended means virtually nothing, lots of coaches and GMs over time collecting pay checks sitting on their couches. 

Edited by Don Otreply

If we miss the playoffs and McDermott doesn't get fired after this season, we're completely out of any shot at a Super Bowl and in the end Beane will not survive in the end. 2024 will be a lot of the same and nobody will want to remain on a rebuilding team, period. 

Do we REALLY want to be another L.A. Chargers and wait too long to pull the trigger??!? I don't want to be. Josh Allen is CLEARLY a better talent than Herbert, but he's older and has less time left in prime years. Retaining a head coach who is so confident (bordering on arrogant) in his defensive coaching abilities that he couldn't keep Jim Schwartz around and let Leslie Frasier leave and took over the DC duties AND STILL FAILS to put his defense in the best position to succeed is a terrible decision. ENOUGH WITH THIS "THE MEDIA NARRATIVE" BS... MCDERMOTT HAS GOT TO GO. 

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

True. A lot of what is out there is BS. It's not like Florio is some scrub hack with 10 followers on twitter. I am sure he has legit connections in the league. That doesn't mean McDermott is getting fired either. We will see how the season plays out and if anything happens it will be once the games are over.

The devil, as always is in the details. Notice he says he thinks, not he's hearing. In other words, it's what he would do and it sets him up for next season very well to keep scorching McDermott should the Bills keep him. Nothing to do with connections.

IMO, the people to watch right now are the local guys.Watch their tone when it comes to McDermott over the next few weeks. It's almost like some get their talking points directly from the Bills. Like this week, many of the local guys are already floating excuses out there saying McDermott has done a solid job but the injuries have mounted and there's nothing he can do. It's almost like they are testing the waters to see what fans will take as an excuse.

An example of this is early this season. Right after the Miami game local media was full praise and love for Ken Dorsey. They had put up 38, 37 and 48 over the last 3 games. Fast forward just 2 weeks and they are asking McDermott if Dorsey should have play calling duties removed. And we saw where that led. 

• Like (+1) 1

After this season's weird events,  I was ready for Sean to empty his desk after the Denver debacle.  Then we have more weirdness in the Philly game with the kneel down, and McD's defense failing TWICE to close out the game at the end of regulation and OT.  Basically it's run the table, or time to leave.

For the rest of his career in Buffalo, Josh Allen needs an offensive head coach who he is in total sync with...not a revolving door of offensive coordinators.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

An example of this is early this season. Right after the Miami game local media was full praise and love for Ken Dorsey. They had put up 38, 37 and 48 over the last 3 games. Fast forward just 2 weeks and they are asking McDermott if Dorsey should have play calling duties removed. And we saw where that led. 

Just look at what is going on in Dallas right now... everyone is singing the praises of Mike McCarthy and Dak because they are beating up on bad teams. Soon they will be hitting the tough part of their schedule, and I bet in 3 weeks people will be once again jump right on McCarthy and Dak for their pitiful performances.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The devil, as always is in the details. Notice he says he thinks, not he's hearing. In other words, it's what he would do and it sets him up for next season very well to keep scorching McDermott should the Bills keep him. Nothing to do with connections.

IMO, the people to watch right now are the local guys.Watch their tone when it comes to McDermott over the next few weeks. It's almost like some get their talking points directly from the Bills. Like this week, many of the local guys are already floating excuses out there saying McDermott has done a solid job but the injuries have mounted and there's nothing he can do. It's almost like they are testing the waters to see what fans will take as an excuse.

If by local guys you the propaganda on “One Bills Drive. That team-run show is the only place where he is defended, the rest of the Buffalo wants him gone

• Like (+1) 1

I can see them cleaning house if they don't make the playoffs. The team needs a successful season next year to drive ticket sales for the new stadium. Coming back with the same regime and most likely a retool as lot of defensive guys are older will be a tough sell for casual fans. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

If by local guys you the propaganda on “One Bills Drive. That team-run show is the only place where he is defended, the rest of the Buffalo wants him gone

Nope that's not what I mean. That's the obvious.

Look at the articles written this week by the "independent" local guys. They are mostly all supportive of McDermott right now. 

By the "rest of Buffalo" you mean the podcasts and fans then, yes you would be correct.

9 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Just look at what is going on in Dallas right now... everyone is singing the praises of Mike McCarthy and Dak because they are beating up on bad teams. Soon they will be hitting the tough part of their schedule, and I bet in 3 weeks people will be once again jump right on McCarthy and Dak for their pitiful performances.

And was the same way when the Bills too beat up on bad teams (exception being the Bills are a better team).

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Gregg said:

this is true and while he is connected like about 50-100 others he is still in need of generating discussion to sell ads for his show. without anything to talk about he has no show which is why finding anything to discuss is important. i am sure they discussed a-aron rodgers at least 3 times, for example.

these guys open their mouth just to make money. they're no different than a crack ***** [wage earning adult physical performance entertainer of men]. the more they open their filthy mouth the more they make money.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And was the same way when the Bills too beat up on bad teams (exception being the Bills are a better team).

True, and I just said that who DOESNT score 30+ against the Commanders?!?! These chuckleheads on ESPN are actually talking about Dak playing better than Hurts... I mean it's so bad. Hurts has beaten the Dolphins, Chiefs and Bills while Dak puts up 12 TDs against weak teams. Zero context. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Nope that's not what I mean. That's the obvious.

Look at the articles written this week by the "independent" local guys. They are mostly all supportive of McDermott right now. 

By the "rest of Buffalo" you mean the podcasts and fans then, yes you would be correct.

Find me one article that's supportive of McDermott

25 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Bulldog on WGR was absolutely disgusted after the Eagles game.  Said he was done with McD.  Schopp said nothing to counter Bulldog's rant.  

I don't see given the Bills history, where it was prior to McD & Beane's hiring & where this team has come to how you fire either of them this season .

Do we think if the team was completely healthy this year that their record would be the same ? I think it would be much different ! Even despite Dorsey not doing better with the talent he had at his disposal .

In the last 2 seasons the injuries hit these players - Millano, Tre, Von, Daquan, Phillips, Hyde, Poyer, Gabe, Knox, Rousseau, Oliver, Brown, Morris, Harris, & Josh to some extent . These aren't second string players these are all starters & yes next man up but dam you have to be a genius to make this work .

Has there ever been another team with this many injuries to starters in a season that has ever made it to the play offs let alone win a SB ??  

And for the amount of injury's they have had this season especially to who has been injured on the defensive side of the ball it's a wonder they aren't getting blown out every game & for the most part the loses have come due to the offense not being able to put up enough points to help the D out in some games .

Then there is the thing about having a bit of luck on your side which helps at least every now & then .

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Bulldog on WGR was absolutely disgusted after the Eagles game.  Said he was done with McD.  Schopp said nothing to counter Bulldog's rant.  

Yes, they are honest, Schoop has been done with him for a while & this was Bulldogs breaking point. I was talking about Chris Brown, Steve Tasker & Maddy Glab.

• Like (+1) 1

Even in business, companies are growing or slowly dying.  Nothing stays stagnant.  We had a great run with McD.  Maybe he has one more amazing run in him.  It's not likely though.  Not making the playoffs should be a 100% guaranteed head coach change.

• Agree 2

I posted this in another thread but very relevant here:

McDermott (and beane) are very very involved in the design of the new stadium. Specifically any area the players will be (locker room, warm up areas, training areas, etc). So it’s no coincidence they are both signed through the new stadium opening. So those of you wishing McDermott gets let go due to the team’s record are wishful thinking. However, the absolute number 1 priority of ownership is the new stadium and the finances related to it. This includes ensuring there are $0 of overruns(team is responsible) and most importantly, recouping Terry’s investment through the sale of PSLs. Legends sold the Bills on the fact that they will be able to sell PSLs in the Buffalo market to get Terry’s investment back. 

This is the billsmafia’s chance to make a statement about McDermott. The only chance the fans have of a head coaching change is if it poses a risk to the team being able to sell PSLs. The fans have leverage! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

I’d like to keep Beane.  While not perfect this roster is pretty darn good.   I trust him to bring in the right coach.

If someone told me 6-6 with this roster, before the season, I’d have assumed Allen missed 4 games and we went 0-4 without him 

In a way, that's exactly what happened. Josh's head wasn't in at least four of those losses.

Agree on keeping Beane. I'm on the fence with McD.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 1BD_mailman said:

McDermott (and beane) are very very involved in the design of the new stadium. Specifically any area the players will be (locker room, warm up areas, training areas, etc). So it’s no coincidence they are both signed through the new stadium opening. So those of you wishing McDermott gets let go due to the team’s record are wishful thinking. However, the absolute number 1 priority of ownership is the new stadium and the finances related to it. This includes ensuring there are $0 of overruns(team is responsible) and most importantly, recouping Terry’s investment through the sale of PSLs. Legends sold the Bills on the fact that they will be able to sell PSLs in the Buffalo market to get Terry’s investment back. 

This is the billsmafia’s chance to make a statement about McDermott. The only chance the fans have of a head coaching change is if it poses a risk to the team being able to sell PSLs. The fans have leverage! 

PSL's were a disaster with the Jets/Giants and that is in the big market NYC area with tons of corporate support. At Giants Stadium both teams had waiting lists for season tickets. At MetLife both teams advertise purchasing season and individual tickets. I would imagine it will be the same in small market Buffalo. The new stadium will hold around 60,000 so they know they are going to price many fans out from going to games.

18 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Yes, they are honest, Schoop has been done with him for a while & this was Bulldogs breaking point. I was talking about Chris Brown, Steve Tasker & Maddy Glab.

Those 3 are defacto bills employees so it's not surprising to me at all.  They are not objective and it's understandable.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 1BD_mailman said:

Well I hope the 2 of them build a really nice stadium because if McDermott is still around it will be empty. 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, T master said:

I don't see given the Bills history, where it was prior to McD & Beane's hiring & where this team has come to how you fire either of them this season .

Do we think if the team was completely healthy this year that their record would be the same ? I think it would be much different ! Even despite Dorsey not doing better with the talent he had at his disposal .

In the last 2 seasons the injuries hit these players - Millano, Tre, Von, Daquan, Phillips, Hyde, Poyer, Gabe, Knox, Rousseau, Oliver, Brown, Morris, Harris, & Josh to some extent . These aren't second string players these are all starters & yes next man up but dam you have to be a genius to make this work .

Has there ever been another team with this many injuries to starters in a season that has ever made it to the play offs let alone win a SB ??  

And for the amount of injury's they have had this season especially to who has been injured on the defensive side of the ball it's a wonder they aren't getting blown out every game & for the most part the loses have come due to the offense not being able to put up enough points to help the D out in some games .

Then there is the thing about having a bit of luck on your side which helps at least every now & then .

That’s fair. But this season the offense has been mostly healthy and has woefully underperformed outside the Miami game under Dorsey. That’s McD’s fault IMO not making a move sooner. Tbh, I was hoping McD would fire Dorsey after last year. The second half of the season showed me Dorsey wasn’t it. Couldn’t adjust, couldn’t scheme anything up. Basically asked josh to go out there and make it happen. 

yes the eagles game was another defensive let down. But all the other letdowns were also a product because the offense couldn’t relieve pressure off the defense. Of course the defense is decimated, but if we had leads in a lot of those games we could have forced the other team out of their game plan and not left the margin for error so slim for us 

• Like (+1) 1

To me, it's pretty simple. 

BIlls make the playoffs and McD will be back.

Bills go golfing and McD is gone with a possibility Beane follows him out the door.

I really doubt that Terry is going to buy the injury excuse given that we've lost so many close games. 

7 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

To me, it's pretty simple. 

BIlls make the playoffs and McD will be back.

Bills go golfing and McD is gone with a possibility Beane follows him out the door.

I really doubt that Terry is going to buy the injury excuse given that we've lost so many close games. 

Not only lost close but blown leads in the 2nd half and late in the 4th quarter. Imagine if the Giants pulled out the win or Tampa Bay got the hail mary at the end. We could have been looking at 4-8 instead of 6-6.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Listening to Joe Marino yesterday on WGR, he stated he believes that b/c the Pegulas have "too much on their plate", he's afraid McDermott will be retained unless there is an internal revolt led by the team leaders. He did not offer a caveat as to whether he'd move off that opinion should the Bills make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Listening to Joe Marino yesterday on WGR, he stated he believes that b/c the Pegulas have "too much on their plate", he's afraid McDermott will be retained unless there is an internal revolt led by the team leaders. He did not offer a caveat as to whether he'd move off that opinion should the Bills make the playoffs.

I agree.  I get feeling that Pegula-land is in disarray and that a major organizational change is too much to handle right now.  Barring a total, locker room-losing collapse, McDermott will return next year to blow more close games.