Will the opener be blacked out by Spectrum and espy

Liberal Bob

On 9/4/2023 at 1:36 PM, LabattBlue said:

I’m interested to know how much of a credit I will receive for each day this nonsense continues?

Take the amount you pay per month for cable: $100(?)

Divide that by 30 days in the month = $3.33/day

Divide $3.33 by the 200 channels your cable service provides = $0.016

That is your per day credit for missing a channel.

28 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well then, they are being very generous with their $15 credit. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sling TV. $50 a month. You'll never look back

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Not for local people in WNY or NYC it won't no matter what happens.

Not true.  The game is on the NY ABC station, WABC, which is owned by Disney & Spectrum will black it out.  The NYC viewing area is going to have to program their TVs to over the air & attach a digital antenna if they are with Spectrum.   

15 hours ago, SoTier said:

Don't sweat it.   Brain farts happen to the best of us ... I speak from experience!

There's another point I'd like to make here that may be helpful: Spectrum in my area, the Mid-Hudson Valley, has the two ABCs and CBSs, but only the NYC one is in HD when you're using the box. However, Spectrum's streaming app has both WRGB and WTEN in HD. 

Here in Cleveland they have all the ESPN channels blocked out. It is Disney not Spectrum that is blocking the signal. 

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

The game is scheduled to be on ESPN and ABC. As long as your ABC affiliate is not being blocked, you can watch the game.

Is that just Buffalo or across the whole country?

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Here in Cleveland they have all the ESPN channels blocked out. It is Disney not Spectrum that is blocking the signal. 

Yes.  If you can watch your ABC station via Spectrum today, you can watch the game on Monday on Spectrum.   Your local ABC affiliate isn't owned by Disney.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/4/2023 at 1:35 PM, HOUSE said:

Thank you for calling Spectrum, your call is very important to us.

Our staff is dedicated to your satisfaction and our technicians are currently working on your problem , we appreciate your patience 

Please select one of the following 

Press one for Billing

Press two for installation 

Press three to re play this message 

Thank you, Good bye.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/5/2023 at 2:35 PM, Big Turk said:

always local

I mean, I don’t know what channel you think is going to have the game…it’s only on ESPN and abc. Both are blacked out. I just scanned through the guide it’s not going to exist on another channel.  Unless I’m missing something. I have occasionally seen upn pick up some giants games but there’s nothing for this

12 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

According to what it says in the ESPN app, it should be on ABC across the entire country.

20 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I mean, I don’t know what channel you think is going to have the game…it’s only on ESPN and abc. Both are blacked out. I just scanned through the guide it’s not going to exist on another channel.  Unless I’m missing something. I have occasionally seen upn pick up some giants games but there’s nothing for this

In Buffalo, well, speaking for myself, I still have ABC, and it's not blacked out.

There are 8 ABC affiliates owned by Disney. WABC in NYC, KABC in LA, WLS in Chicago, WPVI in Phila, KGO in San Fran area, KTRK in Houston, WTVD in Raleigh-Durham, and KFSN in Fresno that are being blacked out on Charter/Spectrum along with the ESPN channels. If you are presently seeing ABC, you will see the game Monday night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

In Buffalo, well, speaking for myself, I still have ABC, and it's not blacked out.

Yeah I’m technically in the jets market, we don’t have abc. Completely ridiculous. I have hated every minute of direct TV losing Sunday ticket and then just switching to this POS spectrum after 15 years of DTV…just making it worse by the day.

• Like (+1) 1

ABC affiliate also blacked out in my area - went on Amazon and got an HDTV antenna for 20 bucks so now I have the local ABC broadcast over air and am set for Mon

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

so a station, you literally get for free is blacked out?  How does that happen?

Edited by Big Turk

One thing ESPN did over the weekend while I still had Spectrum (has since gone to YoutubeTV, love it), they flipped the Coco and Pegula double match from ESPN Plus to ESPN 3, which now made it impossible for me to watch because I pay extra for ESPN plus, but ESPN 3 was tied to my cable provider, who was Spectrum at the time.

Wondering how many events Disney will be doing this with to make it even tougher on Charter.  How many events that were going to be on ABC are now going to be on ESPN only?

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

ABC is out on spectrum in NYC ish area….idk how it’s not also up there. It’s the same thing as ESPN 

There is this thing called an antenna that all TVs can use that will get you ABC and like 50 other stations now for free. Been around for a while...might have heard of it?  Perhaps try that?

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Makes you wonder about the timing as well.  More leverage.

Disney needs it's TV/streaming business to make more money.  

They certainly aren't the first content provider to demand more from the cable companies.  Some deal gets worked out.  Disney can't afford to lose viewers or refund subscriptions.

On 9/4/2023 at 7:00 PM, Gugny said:

Fubo is good. I pay a little extra for the sports package so I can get SNY to see Mets games. 

As far as Bills games, there’s no difference. If it’s not a nationally televised game, then I’m at the mercy of the local fox/cbs affiliate … just like I was with Spectrum. 

Between Internet service and Cable, I’m spending about $80 less/month with Fubo vs. Spectrum. 

Not having the Travel Channel is my only  minor gripe. 

So you’re not in the WNY local market?

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

ABC is out on spectrum in NYC ish area….idk how it’s not also up there. It’s the same thing as ESPN 

Not all ABC affiliated stations are owned by Disney...NYC's channel 7 is; Buffalo's channel 7 and Rochester's channel 13 are not.  That's why they're still available in the Buffalo and Rochester markets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

There is this thing called an antenna that all TVs can use that will get you ABC and like 50 other stations now for free. Been around for a while...might have heard of it?  Perhaps try that?

I’ll find a way around it. Probably YouTube tv…yeah I have heard of an antenna but it’s 2023, prob will just use an idea that is relevant 

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’ll find a way around it. Probably YouTube tv…yeah I have heard of an antenna but it’s 2023, prob will just use an idea that is relevant 

How it it not relevant?  Gives you network TV, which most of the games are on and it's free and always has been. Plus powered antennas can have a range of like 200+ miles and pick up a crazy amount of channels, all for free. It's actually comical that cable companies have convinced people you need to pay for something that's free and then like the people aren't able to actually just plug in an antenna and get the same station for Zero dollars.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

How it it not relevant?  Gives you network TV, which most of the games are on and it's free and always has been. Plus powered antennas can have a range of like 200+ miles and pick up a crazy amount of channels, all for free. It's actually comical that cable companies have convinced people you need to pay for something that's free and then like the people aren't able to actually just plug in an antenna and get the same station for Zero dollars.

I pick up way better channels over the air than they provide on cable. AND over the air is true 1080p HD, far higher quality than what you get on cable.

We get 115 channels. Most of them garbage, but can say the same for cable. I whittle it down to about 20 really good channels.

And it's free. The "COMET TV" channel is worth it alone.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You mean like when I had to use the tin foil and stand there and keep moving around until dad told me he had a picture.  ABC, NBC, CBS, CBC, and Ch. 29.  Loved the Star Trek, Gillian’s island reruns.

im breaking ranks as in Tampa, and using one of my sons tuition for the YouTube student discount and pay $115 for that and red zone.  Need to get done before Monday.  I can’t do the bar thing on a school night.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You mean like when I had to use the tin foil and stand there and keep moving around until dad told me he had a picture.  ABC, NBC, CBS, CBC, and Ch. 29.  Loved the Star Trek, Gillian’s island reruns.

im breaking ranks as in Tampa, and using one of my sons tuition for the YouTube student discount and pay $115 for that and red zone.  Need to get done before Monday.  I can’t do the bar thing on a school night.

Are you saying you are getting Sunday Ticket a la carte w/o Youtube TV subscription - or the full Youtube TV + ST, bc you won't get the game on Monday with just ST, you'll need ESPN or ABC.

i ended up buying an HDTV antenna off Amazon for 20 bucks and so now have the local ABC affiliate off airwave for Monday.

Edited by stevewin

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I pick up way better channels over the air than they provide on cable. AND over the air is true 1080p HD, far higher quality than what you get on cable.

We get 115 channels. Most of them garbage, but can say the same for cable. I whittle it down to about 20 really good channels.

And it's free. The "COMET TV" channel is worth it alone.

Yeah, got my Dad a high range powered antenna and in the WNY area and he picks up like 55 channels or something...I was like WTF??  I remember growing up when there were like 3 channels.  Now there are like 5 channel 2's alone 😂

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yeah, except now you pick up like 55-110 channels all in HD for free instead of like 5. And there are also plenty of free streams that are pretty great quality as well.

Edited by Big Turk

Many people have said that Spectrum is telling people who call to switch to a streaming service, which I think is an interesting window into the future. 

IMO this is the future of cable. They know that in order to stream you need a fast internet connection, and for the vast majority of people that means using cable. There isn't going to be real competition in this area in terms of wires/cables due to the enormous cost. Cable is already there in most cities, towns and villages. Someone new coming in would have to invest billions to get up and running, and it's not worth it most of the time. There are little pockets here and there of fiber optic, but that's way too expensive to ever take over. 

So, if you're the cable company, simply switch your business model.

Your cables are installed in every American city, town and village, and even some rural areas. So just become a broadband provider and up the cost of that product while cutting ties with all the networks that hold you up every couple of years with carriage disputes. You can massively downsize your company in terms of workforce, focus on broadband, a product you control completely and is necessary for any streaming to work.

Starlink could shake things up, but we'll see. The speed needs to work well for streaming. 

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Many people have said that Spectrum is telling people who call to switch to a streaming service, which I think is an interesting window into the future. 

IMO this is the future of cable. They know that in order to stream you need a fast internet connection, and for the vast majority of people that means using cable. There isn't going to be real competition in this area in terms of wires/cables due to the enormous cost. Cable is already there in most cities, towns and villages. Someone new coming in would have to invest billions to get up and running, and it's not worth it most of the time. There are little pockets here and there of fiber optic, but that's way too expensive to ever take over. 

Your cables are installed in every American city, town and village, and even some rural areas. So just become a broadband provider and up the cost of that product while cutting ties with all the networks that hold you up every couple of years with carriage disputes. You can massively downsize your company in terms of workforce, focus on broadband, a product you control completely and is necessary for any streaming to work.

Starlink could shake things up, but we'll see. The speed needs to work well for streaming. 

This is really incorrect.  Switch from Spectrum to Verizon 5g.  Speed is 3x as fast and way more reliable.  Added it to my already nice verizon cell phone package 45 dollars a month.  Was paying double for Spectrum at 1/3 the speed.

Verizon and T-mobile and are expanding 5g at crazy speed.  Charter is considered the malls of shopping.

43 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm in Product at one of the large cable companies and you absolutely nailed our future.

Video is dying, Voice is dying, all of the business services are declining. They're complicated and expensive to run, support, and upgrade. But we do Internet really well.

The writing is already on the wall that we will be looking to offload our over the top services to 3rd party providers and just focus on increasing speeds on HFC and dropping more fiber. Go back to simply being a transport company and get paid residuals buy the 3rd party companies we refer customers to.

We already know HFC (coax cable) is looked at as the new DSL. People dont want coax anymore, they want fiber. Even if they dont need it, because speeds and quality are actually really good on coax nowadays as protocols evolve.

But whether it's coax or fiber, your point still stands. Cable companies will soon (10 years) be merely ISPs.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.