Dorsey’s preparation…

eball

Great article on the front page this morning, detailing how Dorsey spends his week during the season.  Wow.  The amount of preparation, collaboration, and attention to detail is amazing.  I love reading things like this because most fans don’t understand the effort and dedication some guys put in.  Joe 6-pack who works maybe 40 hours a week sits on his couch and critiques the play-calling.  It’s absurd.

Not every play works.  Not every game plan is perfect.  Players make mistakes, and other teams make great plays.  But I will never claim that Dorsey “doesn’t have a clue” or hasn’t done his homework.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I assume you are referencing the local paper in Buffalo.

What was something specific you found interesting that Dorsey does in his preparations?

Whether a player, head coach, or coordinator, these guys have an impressive but also insane level work ethic.

Let's hope the preparation leads to an even bigger jump in consistency, creativity, and maximizing all the pieces available in this offense.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, eball said:

Great article on the front page this morning, detailing how Dorsey spends his week during the season.  Wow.  The amount of preparation, collaboration, and attention to detail is amazing.  I love reading things like this because most fans don’t understand the effort and dedication some guys put in.  Joe 6-pack who works maybe 40 hours a week sits on his couch and critiques the play-calling.  It’s absurd.

Not every play works.  Not every game plan is perfect.  Players make mistakes, and other teams make great plays.  But I will never claim that Dorsey “doesn’t have a clue” or hasn’t done his homework.

I heard, like Josh, he is lazy!!

Ps sarcasm

• Haha (+1) 1

There’s a lot of valid criticism to level at Dorsey but facts are he called a top 3 offense as a first year play caller. Having Josh Allen at QB was certainly a boon, but I’m hopeful he’ll only get better with experience. 

Shame about it is if he does get better, he gonna get scooped up as a HC lightning quick. I’d prefer it if next time we look for a proven OC who’s already flamed out as a HC… less learning curve and more likely chance they stick around even after success. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

honestly, a large volume of work does not mean he is creating the proper output

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The third ranked offense last season suggests that he is creating the proper output. 

he may be. I wasn’t arguing he was or wasn’t with that statement. Simply that he works a ton doesn’t mean he’s actually succeeding. The OP spent a lot of words on saying more hours means he can’t be questioned. 

If you want to shift the topic to measuring successes, do you think there are more than 2 other people in the league that could get more success from this group? I’d say absolutely. Which means 3rd ranked is somewhere in the passable but not elite output category. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Where was the article!?!?!? LOL

In regard to Dorsey, Tim Graham made some interesting points how he could could be set up better for success this season.

The fact that McDermott has taken over some defensive play calling duties takes a little pressure off Dorsey and maybe gives him a little more space/freedom - as more of McDermott’s time will be spend on defense.  

Every position in 2023 is stronger than 2022, which should open more possibilities and give him a stronger counterpunch.  

Dorsey will have a year’s worth of experience as OC which should help him next season.  

20 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The third ranked offense last season suggests that he is creating the proper output. 

Yes and no.  Numbers can be a little deceiving.  The Bills offense was largely boom or bust last season, especially toward the final few weeks.   You also saw more games where turnovers or bad drives allowed teams to crawl back into games - such as the wildcard playoff game.  

The good news, is I feel a lot of this was derived from the fact that the Bills had a liability at LG and RT last season, as well as some limitations with what the available weapons could do.  

Hopefully the new additions help take care of this.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he may be. I wasn’t arguing he was or wasn’t with that statement. Simply that he works a ton doesn’t mean he’s actually succeeding. The OP spent a lot of words on saying more hours means he can’t be questioned. 

If you want to shift the topic to measuring successes, do you think there are more than 2 other people in the league that could get more success from this group? I’d say absolutely. Which means 3rd ranked is somewhere in the passable but not elite output category. 

So with this argument, Dorsey will never be elite and only stuck in passable. 

13 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Just establish a run and play action game where JA17 starts from under center. 

That 3rd ranked offense stuff was bc JA17 was doing everything on earth possible last year. (Hence the increase in turnovers). Please take some pressure off of him for once.

If the last preseason game is any indicator, you saw a lot of quick passes to Hardy to move the chains and an improved running game.  I think this is definitely going to be part of their game next season.  

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

honestly, a large volume of work does not mean he is creating the proper output

Yeah, true.   I am sure Nate Hackett worked has azzoff to be a great HC in Denver too.   I am probably something of a Dorsey apologist to this point myself........having made liberal note last season of the fact that a 1st year OC hasn't won a SB since the 1980's.  

But let's be clear what this thread is about..........@eball is just ALWAYS looking for an angle to insult the Bills fan base for their "relative-results-based" analysis of players/coaches.

His takes were always bad but ever since he quit on his season tickets in frustration with the Pegula's when the Bills hired McDermott he's been on a mission to make up for his lack of unconditional support by attacking the average Bills fan........apparently to make up for his betrayal.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

Daboll put a lot of work in too….

• Like (+1) 1

This thread made me think of the sign in the Bills’ field house. I think it was a doug marrone mantra? For the record I am optimistic Dorsey will evolve this year and the offense will flourish again. And it is amazing the effort these guys put in.

IMG_0137.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.