Beanes drafts rate very highly

78thealltimegreat

On 8/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

How is he #2 in round 3? Love the Knox pick but he has not been that great(only good by Bills TE historical perspective). Moss was terrible.  Singletary just average. Phillips was not good but did get a second contract for the Vikings. Jury is still very much out on Brown. 

Wait until Bernard is out of the league next year and he will drop.

Or Bernard could develop nicely to where we all call him that helpful dog. ST BERNARD.  Hey it could happen our team is full of Dawgs!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

You’re kidding, right?  I think most fans in general, of any team, are idiots.  It’s not a Bills thing.

I'm into the Bills mafia being a Band of Brothers.

Though I have to say I stuck by the Bills from John Rouch (7-20), Harvey Johnson (1-13), Jim Ringo (3-20) and so on, up through Rex Ryan.  That's probably not a good testimonial to my own intellect.  

43 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm into the Bills mafia being a Band of Brothers.

Though I have to say I stuck by the Bills from John Rouch (7-20), Harvey Johnson (1-13), Jim Ringo (3-20) and so on, up through Rex Ryan.  That's probably not a good testimonial to my own intellect.  

Fan is short for fanatic.  None of us are sane.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Lost said:

Just imagine how we would be evaluating Beane's draft history if they had taken WRONG Josh in 2018.   It would change the perspective of everything.  Beane may not even be GM here in that case, nor McD HC still.   We probably woulda had 2 more top 10 picks in the last few years though.  

This is what I've felt for years now ever since they've been exposed so to speak. Beane got stupid lucky with JA17 and rarely do these 'boom/bust' guys pan out, luckily for Bills nation it did and more importantly current regime.

And I've seen a lot of posters say this is true for most HC/GM in the league whose success is tied to their starting QB, but remember a couple of former Bills head coaches had just the same, if not more success with marginal starting QB's (i.e. Marrone in Jax with Blake Bortles = 1 AFFCG that they were leading until Brady magic struck in 4th quarter, similar deal with Rex Ryan who took the Jets to back to back AFCCG with Mark Sanchez).

Beane and McD still have a chance to defy years of historical data but odds are against them and clock is ticking...

hopefully the re-evaluation of round 2 strategy started this year with Torrance.

it always seemed like to me he used round 2 as a throw away /home run/ take a chance pick on guys with measurables they could coach up instead of drafting 'football players' that fit our scheme -which he does in the other rounds. 

Tremaine was a second pick in that draft and fits the measurables but no football instincts pattern after drafting Josh

13 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

hopefully the re-evaluation of round 2 strategy started this year with Torrance.

it always seemed like to me he used round 2 as a throw away /home run/ take a chance pick on guys with measurables they could coach up instead of drafting 'football players' that fit our scheme -which he does in the other rounds. 

Tremaine was a second pick in that draft and fits the measurables but no football instincts pattern after drafting Josh

Yea be totally okay if he uses 2nd round picks to draft pore olineman where they are needed guard. Tackle center until we have a top oline. After that he can do whatever he wants.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/30/2023 at 11:30 AM, FilthyBeast said:

The issue still remains though that if you subtract JA17 from the equation, both Beane and McD are no different that every other failed GM/HC that's come through Buffalo since 2000 and that's what a lot of Bills mafia doesn't seem to understand or want to acknowledge.

It’s hard to acknowledge such a dumb premise and post. Subtract Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes and those teams are in the same boat. We can do this with every team’s “hits” in the draft. 

It’s not hard to understand this notion, based on my examples above, but, except for the same group here, Bills fans acknowledge that Beane DID pick Josh. He didn’t just fall to us, as Beane traded up to get him. If you’re going to complain, at least complain about something real. Not this fake 💩the same mob comes up with. Drafting Allen was not luck and shouldn’t be minimized to fit a “false “ narrative. Beane is respected around the league for building a SB contender, by people who know more than we do here. Complain, if you all want. It’s what you all do best. But this “ if he hadn’t drafted Allen” crap is ridiculous. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for doing this, but the mob has no shame. Whatever “fits” the narrative. False or not. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I think the exact opposite tbh

Outside Cook who to me was just a complete head scratcher and must have been a value pick, the other second rounders are Epenesa, Basham, Ford, and Torrence...who imo all kind of fit the high floor mold. To me at least it seems like Beane takes his chances in the first round and uses the second as insurance

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I think the exact opposite tbh

Outside Cook who to me was just a complete head scratcher and must have been a value pick, the other second rounders are Epenesa, Basham, Ford, and Torrence...who imo all kind of fit the high floor mold. To me at least it seems like Beane takes his chances in the first round and uses the second as insurance

Fair enough but-  Basham was a throwaway when creed Humphrey was sitting right there. He didn't  need to take Basham who was projected later.  He needed to take the 10 year center we needed. Not the backup/safety pick in case groot didn't work out.  He Out thought himself because Mc clappy wNted pash rush

Some of you may have heard this either today or yesterday morning on WGR, but the Bills have 16 players claimed off waivers meaning they go on another teams active roster.  That’s #1 in the NFL during the McBeane era.

Second, we are at the top along with the Bengals returning the most players from 22 to 23.  These are objective data points, not opinions.

He was named GM of the year two years ago by his peers on the GM side, and now has been rated by agents as one of the most trustworthy GM’s to work with in the league.

For some, nothing is ever good enough and want to only cherry pick whatever agenda they are pushing to support their biases.

• Like (+1) 5

On 8/30/2023 at 8:06 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/?sh=4409eada7495

1) Correlation between Draft Position and "Starter Status"

Using Pro Football Reference as a resource, I looked at all players who were classified as starters at the beginning of the 2014 season to determine what round they were drafted in upon entering the league.  Of the 595 players designated as such, the results reveal the following:

-          Nearly 30% of all starters were 1st round draft picks when drafted into the league;

-          Roughly 30% were taken in either the 2nd or 3rd round;

-          Roughly 26% were taken in either rounds 4 through 7;

-          Undrafted players (14%) were the 3rd most likely group to comprise 2014’s starters…only behind 1st round (30%) and 2nd round (18%) picks.

I knew it was around starting games…..

Not alot of statistically valid methods exist and I’m not counting this as one of them. Plenty of reasons exist why a draft pick could start. The team can be poorly assembled, lacking talent in key areas. They could be more committed to starting draft picks. 

It’s pretty obvious ranking Beane 2nd doesn’t exactly pass the sniff test. At the same time ranking him near last as some would have you believe doesn’t jive either. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think these stats are heavily skewed by Josh Allen. With some credit going to positional value and roster weaknesses.  

In 2019 we used a 3rd round pick on a guy that was a day 1 starter and started for 4 years. Would anyone here say that Devin Singletary was a great pick for those reasons? I think, at best, he met expectations. When you draft an RB that high they are supposed to be a multi year starter. 

Another example is Spencer Brown. A 3rd round selection that's been a starter since almost day 1. Was he a good pick because of that ? Or did Beane fail to bring in competition and was forced to start one of the worst RTs in the league ? 

Another example is Tyler Bass. We drafted a day 1 multi year starter in the 6th round! Too bad he's a kicker and we could've had almost the same production from a UFA off the street. 

Was Wyatt Teller a great draft pick ? Obviously getting an all pro in the 5th round is incredible but we traded him for next to nothing. 

All that being said I do think Beane is a good GM. Maybe top 5 but certainly not 2nd best. Getting the Josh Allen pick right counts for a lot

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/30/2023 at 10:34 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Singletary, Phillips and Knox all played a lot.  Most 3rd rounders do not start and are mostly back ups. 

Facts, especially on a loaded roster and that rd 2 grade will bump up with Cook n Ocyrus

Edited by JerseyBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.