Von to start season on PUP list

Big Blitz

Smart move.

Re-injury of ACLs is a real risk for players that rush back too quickly. 

Protect Von from himself. We need him November, December, and January (and hopefully February), not September and October.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Smart move.

Protect Von from himself. We need him November, December, and January (and hopefully February), not September and October.

It is a smart move but at some point Miller has to be viewed as The Boy Who Cried Wolf”.  He is constantly giving rosy pictures of every situation and he is wrong approximately 100% of the time.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

It is a smart move but at some point Miller has to be viewed as The Boy Who Cried Wolf”.  He is constantly giving rosy pictures of every situation and he is wrong approximately 100% of the time.

Von Miller is a relentlessly optimistic person. He is far more optimistic than he is realistic.

Anyone who still gives credence to his predictions and proclamations -- whether it be his own returns from injuries or the Bills' signing of players -- is setting themselves up for disappointment.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Smart move.

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I think it’s the best move. Need him in December and January a lot more than September. 

I get the sentiment but wins in September and October count too and saving someone for the playoffs won't matter much if they don't even qualify.

Hopefully it works out and the DEs can hold down the fort until he is ready to go but just assuming that will be the case is also risky.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If he gets hurt again, he's done, and where does that leave us if he wants to come back again instead of retire?

I'm all for caution and am not a Chicken Little, but I'm sick and tired of the positive BS spun over injuries only to find out it was all a mirage and additional weeks are needed for healing. We have way too much money invested in a player that hasn't made a significant impact when it counts, and I am so hoping that this is all worth it in the end.... 

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

You can get by the Raiders and Commanders without him. You can beat the Dolphins at home too. I don't want him playing on the Jets field anyway so this is expected and preferred. I would be fine with him sitting out in London too. 

This is also where Floyd steps up. You're in a better place than you were last year. 

Make sure he's fully healthy and up to speed in January and ride him to the Super Bowl

Edited by stlbills13
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I'm confused did fans think he was going to play week 1?

they basically have been saying all offseason/summer they will play cautious with him.

I thought he was going to play 100% of the snaps in last weeks pre season game

What a bust he needs to be cut 

1 minute ago, stlbills13 said:

You can get by the Raiders and Commanders without him. You can beat the Dolphins at home too. I don't want him playing on the Jets field anyway so this is expected and preferred. I would be fine with him sitting out in London too. 

MetLife had the turf replaced this past offseason. It has been getting good reviews from the players who have played on it so far.

Just now, Metal Man said:

I get the sentiment but wins in September and October count too and saving someone for the playoffs won't matter much if they don't even qualify.

Hopefully it works out and the DEs can hold down the fort until he is ready to go but just assuming that will be the case is also risky.

If this veteran team can’t hold it together to start the season because Von is out they don’t deserve to be in the playoffs imo 

The games are important but they’ve invested as heavy if not heavier than anyone else in the league on the D line over the years. They should be able to play at a high enough level 

• Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

Smart move.

Agreed. He was signed to be Playoff Von. That’s what we need most. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

they basically have been saying all offseason/summer they will play cautious with him.

Beane basically said on air there was a 50/50 chance he'd be off the PUP list before 4:00 today.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

No but if he wasnt on the PUP list he can still practice and come back at some point in the first 4 week. Now he cant even practice for the first 4 games. After that it will likely be 1-2 weeks before he plays. This move sets his timeline more or less to miss 6 games.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Need Rousseau and/or Floyd to play above their level the first 4 games of the season.

Two "good" edge rushes and two "quality" backups are how mediocre pass-rushing teams look.

Can't argue with this.

Hopefully McDermott dials up some pressure as DC, but we really need Rousseau to make the jump this year if we want to have a strong pass rush without Von.

Leonard Floyd is really good, but not a top dog pass rusher.  If Rousseau is also just really good... we'll have a good/not great pass rush.  Mainly because Ed Oliver has not shown that he can be that dude from the DT position.  

The potential is there for this to be an elite pass rush, even without Von, but it's dependent upon Rousseau and Oliver.  

Just now, jletha said:

No but if he wasnt on the PUP list he can still practice and come back at some point in the first 4 week. Now he cant even practice for the first 4 games. After that it will likely be 1-2 weeks before he plays. This move sets his timeline more or less to miss 6 games.

Yep.

that seems totally fine to me.  If he was able to practice then he is going to want to play right away and then you have an issue.  this took that out of the equation and he can get himself completely ready.  

rolling into november with a healthy and ready to go Miller who has a few games under his belt is ideal to me.

They learned their lesson with Tre last year - they wasted a roster spot with him, when he should have been on the PUP list to start the season too.

- CORRECTION: I'm an idiot and botched this hot take by misremembering recent history.  My children are ashamed and I am remorseful.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was always under the impression that an October return would be amazingly early. So this is good news as it fits right into that

Sucks he misses games against both the Jets and Dolphins tho.

Yeah missing the two divisional games sucks. I still think a Super Bowl contending team beats the Dolphins at home without him so hopefully that is the case here. And you never know what will happen in the first game of the season on MNF. The Jets and their fans will be hyped but Rodgers has laid an egg early in the season a few times in his career for whatever reason.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DasNootz said:

They learned their lesson with Tre last year - they wasted a roster spot with him, when he should have been on the PUP list to start the season too.

He was on PUP to stary the season. They just brought him off to practice and he took a roster spot for like 3 games or something.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If this veteran team can’t hold it together to start the season because Von is out they don’t deserve to be in the playoffs imo 

The games are important but they’ve invested as heavy if not heavier than anyone else in the league on the D line over the years. They should be able to play at a high enough level 

Agreed, and if they can hold the line they will be all the better with a fresh Von coming from the reserves.

Just a little concerned based on the pass rush being 💩 after Thanksgiving last year.

Hopefully the addition of Floyd helps to make the difference this time around.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.