What do you all think of games being canceled?

Miyagi-Do Karate

The players union should fight to cancel all preseason games 

As for canceling then due to injury, unless it is truly life and death life Hamlin I'm afraid you just need to resume playing. They've never cancelled games in the past for head and neck injuries.  The reality is in a 17 game schedule there is just no opportunity to cancel a game and make it fair. NBA, NHL, or MLB maybe but not NFL. Just too few games. 

3 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Fires, hurricanes, snowstorms, etc.. will have a big effect on games this year. Then we have serious injuries which are becoming too common, unfortunately. Then add in the new variant "scare" for covid and this fall is going to be epic. I just hope the NFL doesn't screw with us too much. 

I really don't think covid has any effect at all at this point. If anything at all just maybe mask inside. 

2 hours ago, julian said:

It’s getting out of hand but they won’t be canceling any regular season games outside of dying on the field.

It's getting out of hand? There's been like 2 games canceled, 1 regular season game and 1 preseason game. Don't know if I'd say "it's getting out of hand" just yet.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The players union should fight to cancel all preseason games 

As for canceling then due to injury, unless it is truly life and death life Hamlin I'm afraid you just need to resume playing. They've never cancelled games in the past for head and neck injuries.  The reality is in a 17 game schedule there is just no opportunity to cancel a game and make it fair. NBA, NHL, or MLB maybe but not NFL. Just too few games. 

the Union needs preseason as a showcase for about half its members 

that said, I doubt teams walk off the field during the regular season short of just about a death. I don’t think this dynamic changed at all, despite the preseason games 

Yes it would need to be such a horrendous injury that it is very traumatic to everyone who sees it.  I can imagine a few situ a tions which I pray stay as just a horrible imaginative scenario.  

The damar Hamlin situation was just so traumatic because he did die albeit they successfully perform reviving techniques that were successful.   These guys have been playing long enough plus we're fans as youngsters no doubt to have already witnessed many serious injuries so it takes alot to traumatized them.   I still don't like seeing the video of when Theismann had his leg snap in a game.  Fairly gruesome imagery there.  And I'm sure there's plenty bad injuries on film that I won't look for but rather I'd avoid.

Edited by AuntieEm

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I really don't think covid has any effect at all at this point. If anything at all just maybe mask inside. 

It's getting out of hand? There's been like 2 games canceled, 1 regular season game and 1 preseason game. Don't know if I'd say "it's getting out of hand" just yet.

I thought there’s been 2 preseason games, and if that’s the case I stand by my opinion.

There’s no need to suspend or cancel games due to injuries.

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We have seen now three NFL games that have been canceled recently. The Bills/Bengals game due to Damar’s injury. And then two preseason games where a player suffered potentially serious injuries where stretchers were called. 

what are your thoughts on this?

I definitely get the cancelation of the Bills/Bengals game, since that was so unprecedented and really a life or death situation.

I am less sure how I feel about the other games, and I wonder whether we will see more of these team-initiated cancelations during the regular season. There are obviously major scheduling impacts, but also there is some real decency and humanity to halting games when someone gets seriously injured. Pretty tricky situation.

You're right, the Hamlin event was rare and unprecedented. You must cancel that immediately. I realize our insatiable lust for football but in the other 2 games I'm leaning towards decency & humanity. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, julian said:

I thought there’s been 2 preseason games, and if that’s the case I stand by my opinion.

There’s no need to suspend or cancel games due to injuries.

That was canceled? Not that I'm aware....

Ony ones that comes to mind is the recent Fins game as far as preseason....

2 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

That was canceled? Not that I'm aware....

Ony ones that comes to mind is the recent Fins game as far as preseason....

Then I stand corrected, but let’s hope this doesn’t become the norm, injuries are part of contact sport unfortunately.

I am good with preseason but concerned this will happen in the regular season.  There are always these situations that come up with concussions and neck injuries that almost always turn out ok.  The damar Hamlin thing was exceptional and I don’t want to see regular season games stopped except I rare occurrence.  

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think an additional week between playoffs for all teams would help.  It would allow all teams to have a bye and play their best in playoffs.

IF NFL could find a schedule which worked they would do it but they are already pushing schedule further into February and do not want to start regular season until after Labor Day. Imagine regular season games in Mijami fish tank in August.

In 2001, they suspended Week 2 in the aftermath of 9/11, and pushed those games to the end of the season. That was early enough that they could move the Super Bowl a week later and keep the standard playoff format. I like the automatic bye before the playoffs; rescheduled games can use that slot if necessary.

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I never understood that quote.  If he thinks humans should not play it, why is he making a career in it?  

I think he said that humans weren't designed to play football, not that they shouldn't.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think we’re heading to no preseason games very shortly. It’s how the league will grow revenue. 20 week seasons. 18 games, 2 byes on the way.

Teams get 20 games per season from their players.    

That's not changing.

The owners will cut a preseason game in exchange for an 18th game and the players will get compensated with more money..........but there is absolutely no way the owner's aren't getting those 20 games.     

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’ll add more rest for players. More importantly more money.

Rest won’t just be an extra bye but less offseason workouts, OTAs, and mini camps.

The funny part is the NFLPA wants to increase player safety but don't want to increase the amount of rostered players. This would take a portion of the money away from the vets, opportunities for veterans to be on teams since team will field more wildcard younger guys, and ultimately make the whole thing harder for a vested player.

It's amazing they were able to increase the practice squad size. 

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Cancelling these preseason games?  No problem whatsoever.  During the season if it’s life threatening like Damar no problem either.

How early did they cancel the MIA-JAX game? (I really don't know.) If it was early that would suck for people who bought tickets.

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We have seen now three NFL games that have been canceled recently. The Bills/Bengals game due to Damar’s injury. And then two preseason games where a player suffered potentially serious injuries where stretchers were called. 

what are your thoughts on this?

I definitely get the cancelation of the Bills/Bengals game, since that was so unprecedented and really a life or death situation.

I am less sure how I feel about the other games, and I wonder whether we will see more of these team-initiated cancelations during the regular season. There are obviously major scheduling impacts, but also there is some real decency and humanity to halting games when someone gets seriously injured. Pretty tricky situation.

Remember the Romans vs the lions or the Gladiators?   Drag ‘’em off and throw someone else in there.

14 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I never understood that quote.  If he thinks humans should not play it, why is he making a career in it?  

It pays well.

4 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Remember the Romans vs the lions or the Gladiators?   Drag ‘’em off and throw someone else in there.

Good god.  How old are you?

Whenever someone needs life saving measures on the field like Hamlin did, obviously the game should not go on. Seeing a teammate or opposing player die on the field is not what these players signed up for.

Now, here’s where I am going to sound insensitive.

When it is a spinal or head injury, players are very aware that these are much more common and they all have accepted that as a possible fate of their playing football. The game should go on in those cases.

Pre-season? Don’t care if they cancel those games with nobody being hurt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.