Nuggets of Infor From Bills Practice 8/22

BuffaloBillyG

40 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Serious question here. What are the different ways *NFL* HCs handle things like undisciplined penalties from players?

-Can't fine them, don't know that'd be a good option even if you could

-There's running laps. Pretty universal, but many would think that's soft. (Runs small risk of belittling players, i.e. Urban Meyer)

-Can obviously reduce playing time especially RBs WRs, but what about OL? Hard to bench (and a bit nuclear this early) a DDawk for a series, cutting of nose to spite face.

-Position coach/Hc can call them out during film

I know each situation calls for different options, but am I missing anything? How do players get held accountable? Anybody a little more in the know have some nuance to add?

At this point I'm just as curious from an overall league perspective, not just Buffalo

Kitchen Patrol (KP) Duty - After normal duty hours. Literally serve up the “slop” to your own teammates.  That should teach’em. 

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Good, old Thad 

Not sure if I would rather have his news or no news

Could be he is the source  Stephen A Smith is alluding to. He certainly seems to be trying to sell a controversy.  Must have some major income off his clicks to be fishing so wantonly for more.

53 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Belichick created a culture of fear, respect and brutal levels of hard work.

That method worked well (at the time), because he also had Tom Brady and a team with a winning reputation.

I'm not sure that style fits McDermott's personality, or if it would go over in this particular locker room.

As an outside fan, something does seem to be off mentally with this team.  It's August and you can already sense the frustration and lack of focus.  Maybe it's bleed-over from the way last season ended.  Maybe it's somehow related to all the Stefon Diggs drama.  Maybe it's something with the coaching staff.  Maybe Josh Allen really is too distracted with the rise to fame.  I just don't know.  

But if this team doesn't get its head on straight quickly, the Jets are going to punch them in the mouth Week 1.  

13 seconds (with no explanation ever given to the players), plus all of the catastrophe from last year, the offseason drama this year, and being continually told to just "trust the process" ... has worn very thin on a lot of the core players.  Like constantly being 10 months pregnant with a coaching staff that doesn't know how to deliver babies lol (in my "mentally off" opinion lol).  They don't trust trusting anymore because it's like an ongoing empty promise, but everyone wants to win so bad that it gets twisted because they know they're close

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, leonbus23 said:

It would seem that there would be an educational approach that would involve something technical in terms of execution that would be practiced repeatedly, rather than basic physical discipline. 

How did Belechick do it? Or any coach that had/has very few penalties? 

Belechick pointed at the bench and that's where they sat until Belichick wasn't mad anymore.

You can't have a guy out on the field who constantly hurts you with penalties.

25 minutes ago, drummernut74 said:

13 seconds (with no explanation ever given to the players), plus all of the catastrophe from last year, the offseason drama this year, and being continually told to just "trust the process" ... has worn very thin on a lot of the core players.  Like constantly being 10 months pregnant with a coaching staff that doesn't know how to deliver babies lol (in my "mentally off" opinion lol).  They don't trust trusting anymore because it's like an ongoing empty promise, but everyone wants to win so bad that it gets twisted because they know they're close

Makes a lot of sense.  We have a lot of good players.  They may not feel that the coaching staff is good enough relative to the roster we have.  So they are tuning the coaching staff out.  There is a big difference between taking a bad team, and making it competitive like the Lions did last year.  And making a good team a championship team.  McDermott has not done that yet.  And the guys who know him best, his players, may not see that greatness in him leading them to the promised land.  

We will see soon enough as the season unfolds.  If Josh Allen plays well, we will have a chance.  If Josh Allen plays spectacular week in and week out especially late in the season and into the playoffs we will be playing for the Lombardi.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, drummernut74 said:

I agree with this. I think the infamous 13 Seconds, the Buffalo shooting, the heartbreaking Miami loss with 11 starters down and the rest slowly dying of dehydration, Von going down in December, >30 dead in a Buffalo blizzard, playing a home game in Detroit, the Hamlin disaster/game nullification, and Diggs causing drama at select moments and press putting cameras in their faces asking them to explain each of these situations, has absolutely gotten in heads. It's not one thing, it's the body of work.

The team needs a relatively normal season to put this crap as far behind them as possible, mentally reset, and remember how good they are. And for God's sake the key players need to survive until the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

These reports are as disappointing as the game on Saturday. Get it together offense!

It's just practice,  It's just pre-season,  It's just regular season, it's just a reset year,  it's just Josh's career

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Makes a lot of sense.  We have a lot of good players.  They may not feel that the coaching staff is good enough relative to the roster we have.  So they are tuning the coaching staff out.  There is a big difference between taking a bad team, and making it competitive like the Lions did last year.  And making a good team a championship team.  McDermott has not done that yet.  And the guys who know him best, his players, may not see that greatness in him leading them to the promised land.  

We will see soon enough as the season unfolds.  If Josh Allen plays well, we will have a chance.  If Josh Allen plays spectacular week in and week out especially late in the season and into the playoffs we will be playing for the Lombardi.  

How many years before A. Reid won anything.

59 minutes ago, drummernut74 said:

This is such a weak take.  There is absolutely no evidence to support any of this.  All in your head apparently.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, billykay said:

How many years before A. Reid won anything.

I don't like this example because he had to move to another team and get the greatest quarterback of all time in order to do it. It doesn't mesh when you're trying to make the point of having patience with McDermott in his first coaching job and with a QB who is one of the best of his era but not the goat.

12 minutes ago, Lost said:

It's just practice,  It's just pre-season,  It's just regular season, it's just a reset year,  it's just Josh's career

Let’s all just kill ourselves and save ourselves the grief, right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.