Nuggets of Infor From Bills Practice 8/22

BuffaloBillyG

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Serious question here. What are the different ways *NFL* HCs handle things like undisciplined penalties from players?

-Can't fine them, don't know that'd be a good option even if you could

-There's running laps. Pretty universal, but many would think that's soft. (Runs small risk of belittling players, i.e. Urban Meyer)

-Can obviously reduce playing time especially RBs WRs, but what about OL? Hard to bench (and a bit nuclear this early) a DDawk for a series, cutting of nose to spite face.

-Position coach/Hc can call them out during film

I know each situation calls for different options, but am I missing anything? How do players get held accountable? Anybody a little more in the know have some nuance to add?

At this point I'm just as curious from an overall league perspective, not just Buffalo

You don’t. You teach and preach fundamentals. These are grown men not 12 year olds.
Does Josh get benched when he throws an interception ? 
The only true thing a coach can do is reduce playing time which is almost always the wrong move.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Serious question here. What are the different ways *NFL* HCs handle things like undisciplined penalties from players?

-Can't fine them, don't know that'd be a good option even if you could

-There's running laps. Pretty universal, but many would think that's soft. (Runs small risk of belittling players, i.e. Urban Meyer)

-Can obviously reduce playing time especially RBs WRs, but what about OL? Hard to bench (and a bit nuclear this early) a DDawk for a series, cutting of nose to spite face.

-Position coach/Hc can call them out during film

I know each situation calls for different options, but am I missing anything? How do players get held accountable? Anybody a little more in the know have some nuance to add?

At this point I'm just as curious from an overall league perspective, not just Buffalo

If anyone commits a penalty, you have the entire team run laps.  Eventually the code reds will start.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Belichick created a culture of fear, respect and brutal levels of hard work.

That method worked well (at the time), because he also had Tom Brady and a team with a winning reputation.

I'm not sure that style fits McDermott's personality, or if it would go over in this particular locker room.

As an outside fan, something does seem to be off mentally with this team.  It's August and you can already sense the frustration and lack of focus.  Maybe it's bleed-over from the way last season ended.  Maybe it's somehow related to all the Stefon Diggs drama.  Maybe it's something with the coaching staff.  Maybe Josh Allen really is too distracted with the rise to fame.  I just don't know.  

But if this team doesn't get its head on straight quickly, the Jets are going to punch them in the mouth Week 1.  

I agree. But aside from "a culture of fear, respect and brutal levels of hard work", there must also have been training and education, i.e., coaching the technical aspects of the game that prevents presnap and other bonehead penalties. 

Perhaps there is a mental aspect that's affecting the team. I guess I would want a group of players who are so well trained that mental errors that stem from a lack of focus or being frustrated, etc., would be rare.

Thank God for the non-vocal majority of Bills fans who don’t tweet or post on this board. Otherwise you’d think what was once the best fan base in all of the league had devolved into an anxiety ridden, whining, entitled bunch of sky-is-falling Pats* fans. 

Here’s a reality check - the Tops shooting did not impact the play on the field. Kim Pegula’s cardiac arrest did not affect the play on the field. Losing to Miami in the heat did not affect the play on the field later in the season. Hamlin affected the play, Josh’s injury affected the play, Roger Saffold and Brown sucking affected the play. Getting out coached in every aspect by Cinci affected the play. 

This team did not handle the pressure of being crowned SB favorites. The vocal fan base is so anxiety ridden, so desperate for a SB win that it’s severely impacting the discourse to the point that every single practice snap is over analyzed to death. 

Talk to me after the first quarter of the season. Then I’ll be able to form an opinion on what this version of the Bills looks like and make a prediction on their future which will likely be completely wrong. 

Even if we had the consensus best team by every clown “analyst” out there we’d still have less than a 25% chance to win it all because no one wants to think about the role LUCK plays in getting there. Does the ball bounce your way in an important game? Do the refs blow a call in your favor at a crucial moment? Does your normally reliable RB cough up the ball (Thurman) at the most inopportune time? So much luck comes into play but we can’t quantify it so we ignore it. That does not mean getting clearly outcoached, which happened last year against Cinci, isn’t a valid complaint or concern.

I feel bad for those who feel in their hearts that if the team doesn’t win the Super Bowl then everything before that was a failure. They miss out on so much great football and fun because “the regular season doesn’t matter”. 

My heart gets ripped out every Sunday when they lose but a Thad Brown tweet about a mid August practice doesn’t have an impact.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 10

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Good, old Thad 

Not sure if I would rather have his news or no news

He has been channeling his inner Sully recently.

3 hours ago, boyst said:

not to be that guy but i remember a coach in middle school penalizing us for penalties after we lost a tough game by 1 point because we choked and just stunk. it was our first game.

he made us do bear crawls up and own the field the entire practice for an hour.

we didn't lose a game after that.

Did wonders for RB sneaking under opposing defense linemen.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Puking on Thad, not you.  Not sure how he keeps his position when probably 90% of the fans can't stand him.  His smug, entitled attitude ruins the local pre-game TV show for me.  He will never lose his pre draft opinion of Josh.  He should just go cover the Jests, that fan base would love him!

Edited by stosh64
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

Let’s all just kill ourselves and save ourselves the grief, right?

Should we meet up somewhere for beers first ?

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

If anyone commits a penalty, you have the entire team run laps.  Eventually the code reds will start.  

yep

include the Coaches please

• Haha (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Puking on Thad, not you.  Not sure how he keeps his position when probably 90% of the fans can't stand him.  His smug, entitled attitude ruins the local pre-game TV show for me.  He will never lose his pre draft opinion of Josh.  He should just go cover the Jests, that fan base would love him!

Thad is pretty open about the fact he is a lifelong jets fan must be weird for him to cover the bills.

5 hours ago, boyst said:

not to be that guy but i remember a coach in middle school penalizing us for penalties after we lost a tough game by 1 point because we choked and just stunk. it was our first game.

he made us do bear crawls up and own the field the entire practice for an hour.

we didn't lose a game after that.

Im guessing that now we all understand why that dude was a junior high football coach

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Although I know that any judgement on the Oline is best determined a ways into the season, it's not encouraging how often we hear about OL issues.

I think I can recall not many times that it was mentioned that Oline had looked good.

Edited by Patrick Duffy

Penalties before the snap should never happen that is on the player not paying attention to detail. 
How the Bills or any team can have presnap penalties on the oline is beyond me.
They know Josh uses a hard count to pickup cheap yards on the dline trying to anticipate the count.
Almost like they don’t even practice. 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Penalties before the snap should never happen that is on the player not paying attention to detail. 
How the Bills or any team can have presnap penalties on the oline is beyond me.
They know Josh uses a hard count to pickup cheap yards on the dline trying to anticipate the count.
Almost like they don’t even practice. 

Like josh doesn't tell the team was Count the snap is on 😆

Of course its there fault 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.