When did Steve Tasker become such a homer?

Mister Defense

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

On One Bills Live Tasker refuses to give or agree with any criticism whatsover as  to how Ken Dorsey has done as an offensive coordinator. By his reactions, you can often tell that Chris Brown is not on the same page, though he often defers to Tasker overall.  Someone like Maddy Glab seems to imply she has her doubts about Dorsey, expecting to see some big changes this year.

I am posting this because of Tasker's comments on OBL Monday 8-21, related to the Bills' offense horrendous performance against Pittsburgh.  I was curious to see if Tasker was going to level any criticism at all on the coaching staff for how un-disciplined and un-prepared the Bills looked. After all, the buck stops at the top.

But right on cue, and immediately, he made almost shocking excuses for the Bills performance, letting all off the hook.  He said that the Bills just want to play the Jets in the opener and didn't seem interested in this pre season game at all.  He said that over and over, couldn't get that out fast enough to open the show. But not as a criticism at all, but as a valid excuse.

Then he took the next step, and said that this successful veteran team is focused on the winning playoff games, indicating that a game like this had almost no importance to them; so why bother?  But again, he wasn't being critical at all, just offering a lame and strange excuse.

Of course in his hyper-homer like analysis he offered even more damning criticism of the Bills.  As without the mindset that all games, all plays, are important, there is no way this Bills team can contend for a championship. In response, Brown said something like this meekly at one point.

Tasker is one my favorite players in my decades of being a Bills fan, a vital cog in the best teams I have ever seen play in Buffalo, and smart, with great character. I also appreciated his work as a color commentator, as he was objective,  clear, and didn't overdo it, didn't speak just to hear himself talk (see: Kirk Herbstreet, the opposite).

But repeatedly saying the Bills are going to be a "wrecking crew" this year, and not seeing the problems most saw as the season progressed last year, and now in this pre-season, has me losing respect for his opinion. Then, his almost comical response to the Pittsburgh fiasco showed me how far down the rabbit hole he has burrowed.

I think that objective, honest analysis is the most helpful, and Tasker's  has become lacking in both respects, in my opinion.

You’re kidding, right? Not only was Tasker a Bill, he still works for the Bills. It’s how he has to do his job if he wants to keep his gig as a preseason color commentator for them - well as any other perks or jobs that come his way because of his relationship with the Bills (like local commercials for auto dealers, etc.)

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Many former players aren’t negative like a fan base because they’ve been through it.  They know that the fans don’t know everything that happened or want to understand it.  They know there are good days and bad days.

Tasker does say some confusing stuff and things I don’t agree with.  Oh well. Makes me roll my eyes but it doesn’t bother me like some of you.  Not saying this to the OP, just in general.  It seems to bother some fans when radio hosts/commentators/ex-players aren’t as vocally critical as them.  It genuinely makes some of you angry which is very odd to me.

The negativity on this board is toxic. Only 1 team can win the Super Bowl each year. We had an amazing season last year. We’ve been on a heck of a run the last few years. For once we have stability in the FO and at HC. We have a franchise QB. 

Yet, people just keep clamoring for everyone to be fired. Everyone’s name has been mentioned at some point - Dorsey, McD, Beane. No one is spared on here. 

It has to be a reflection of the self. How miserable must some people’s existence be that they can’t find joy in anything? Its sad. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

Mega penalties and almost no good plays from their starting unit against Pittsburgh's should concern all. 

I'm very concerned we can't win the preseason with this level of buy-in.  And not sure we have won any if our off seasons since the Bills let Rex go with a few years left on his contract.  So at best this season we can win the reg season to be 1-2 for the year offseason preseason  reg season so even if we win the post season leaves the year at an unimpressive 2-2 record.  Hope Terry is letting them know that is unacceptable and that continued employment will only be in their futures if they fix the off and pre seasons  going forward.  

2 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

On One Bills Live Tasker refuses to give or agree with any criticism whatsover as  to how Ken Dorsey has done as an offensive coordinator. By his reactions, you can often tell that Chris Brown is not on the same page, though he often defers to Tasker overall.  Someone like Maddy Glab seems to imply she has her doubts about Dorsey, expecting to see some big changes this year.

I am posting this because of Tasker's comments on OBL Monday 8-21, related to the Bills' offense horrendous performance against Pittsburgh.  I was curious to see if Tasker was going to level any criticism at all on the coaching staff for how un-disciplined and un-prepared the Bills looked. After all, the buck stops at the top.

But right on cue, and immediately, he made almost shocking excuses for the Bills performance, letting all off the hook.  He said that the Bills just want to play the Jets in the opener and didn't seem interested in this pre season game at all.  He said that over and over, couldn't get that out fast enough to open the show. But not as a criticism at all, but as a valid excuse.

Then he took the next step, and said that this successful veteran team is focused on the winning playoff games, indicating that a game like this had almost no importance to them; so why bother?  But again, he wasn't being critical at all, just offering a lame and strange excuse.

Of course in his hyper-homer like analysis he offered even more damning criticism of the Bills.  As without the mindset that all games, all plays, are important, there is no way this Bills team can contend for a championship. In response, Brown said something like this meekly at one point.

Tasker is one my favorite players in my decades of being a Bills fan, a vital cog in the best teams I have ever seen play in Buffalo, and smart, with great character. I also appreciated his work as a color commentator, as he was objective,  clear, and didn't overdo it, didn't speak just to hear himself talk (see: Kirk Herbstreet, the opposite).

But repeatedly saying the Bills are going to be a "wrecking crew" this year, and not seeing the problems most saw as the season progressed last year, and now in this pre-season, has me losing respect for his opinion. Then, his almost comical response to the Pittsburgh fiasco showed me how far down the rabbit hole he has burrowed.

I think that objective, honest analysis is the most helpful, and Tasker's  has become lacking in both respects, in my opinion.

A few years ago I called his show and offered my opinion on Wyatt Teller. I said that I think the kid has promise and all Tasker said was, "he's just another guy" and probably won't be on the roster come cut down day. He just blew off my opinion and kind of chuckled after he hung up.  I stopped listening to him after that. He's a homer 100% and will never criticize the coaches or the upper management. He is very hard to listen to on tv when he's doing the Bill's games. His analysis is awful! It's no wonder the networks got rid of him. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

A few years ago I called his show and offered my opinion on Wyatt Teller. I said that I think the kid has promise and all Tasker said was, "he's just another guy" and probably won't be on the roster come cut down day. He just blew off my opinion and kind of chuckled after he hung up.  I stopped listening to him after that. He's a homer 100% and will never criticize the coaches or the upper management. He is very hard to listen to on tv when he's doing the Bill's games. His analysis is awful! It's no wonder the networks got rid of him. 

Because he's too busy chugging soda's one after the other, and taking his glasses off and on every 5 seconds 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

Sampling WGR 550's reaction: basically nothing to worry about. 

1. Bills don't game plan

2. Bills don't play a 3-4 defense 

3. Bills are in the elite club, so they don't care much about preseason

4. If you go play by play it's not that bad

5. The starters only played two series so can't take anything from that (where have we heard that before, oh yeah, Bengals Monday Night, the Playoff game didn't look any different than that did it)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Maynard said:

Tasker is a company man. It’s his source of income these days I’d imagine. 

"Well now I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy
Before you point the finger
You should know that I'm the man
I'm the man and you're the man
And he's the man as well
So you can point that fu****' finger up your a**"

😁

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

The negativity on this board is toxic. Only 1 team can win the Super Bowl each year. We had an amazing season last year. We’ve been on a heck of a run the last few years. For once we have stability in the FO and at HC. We have a franchise QB. 

Yet, people just keep clamoring for everyone to be fired. Everyone’s name has been mentioned at some point - Dorsey, McD, Beane. No one is spared on here. 

It has to be a reflection of the self. How miserable must some people’s existence be that they can’t find joy in anything? Its sad. 

To a certain degree, a "reflection of the self."  I think to a larger degree it's a manifestation of history. From the futility of the 70s and 80s (with a couple of sparks in there), to the SB years of the 90s, dwindling into the drought. For all the folks that have lived through all that sh...shtuff, they know how fleeting these opportunities can be. And in the grand scheme, 8-10 years is somewhat fleeting. Yes, we have a franchise QB and stop staff that could continue for several years. But we've sensed it is our time for the past couple of years, and sh...shtuff keeps happening. Frustration is a real thing.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

To a certain degree, a "reflection of the self."  I think to a larger degree it's a manifestation of history. From the futility of the 70s and 80s (with a couple of sparks in there), to the SB years of the 90s, dwindling into the drought. For all the folks that have lived through all that sh...shtuff, they know how fleeting these opportunities can be. And in the grand scheme, 8-10 years is somewhat fleeting. Yes, we have a franchise QB and stop staff that could continue for several years. But we've sensed it is our time for the past couple of years, and sh...shtuff keeps happening. Frustration is a real thing.

This is the most honest and correct response in a while. I have thought since 13 seconds manyyy fans believed that was our "title (even though we still needed to beat the Bengals who did beat us at home and than actually win the SB) and last year was the built up of that feeling that it was our time or owed. Once it didn't happen everything you brought up came out all at once and is what keeps being exhibited any time things are remotely not great over the last bunch of months. I think more fans frankly need to just do what you did and have the honest convo of this is annoying and I wish we could break through. 

4 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

He works for the team. I mean, you can't expect too much.

Not everyone needs to be so glass half empty. 
The season has not started. Yet there’s a majority of fans being extremely negative and prepping for the demise of the franchise. 
I would not expect someone like Tasker to fuel that or criticize the team and especially not at this stage of the preseason, this is basically a glorified practice for most of the vet players. 

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Kf some of you guys are expecting objective reporting with a critical eye from employees of the Pegulas, you might want to rethink you’re POV.

Herss a question.  If you work for. Fortune 500 company, are you outwardly critical of your employer and their leadership decisions.  That’s a quick drive to “You’re fired”!

Well find someone else says the employer.  The guy is probably 60 and needs to work.  I expect the advertisement when I listen to OBL.

I doubt he needs to work, but he probably enjoys working and would like to keep his football job, lol.

12 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I doubt he needs to work, but he probably enjoys working and would like to keep his football job, lol.

Possibly, but players who are STers didn’t make a lot of $ back in the 80-90’s.   Granted CBS was probably a good gig for 20 years, but he probably wants to have that sunset career to wrap into a ful retirement, and they only are on air for 2 and in season 3 hrs one day a week.  I’m sure they do some preproduction stuff, but I don’t see tons of prep before their daily shows.

My point was simply you’re not going to air a bunch of criticisms about you’re team when in essence your eemplyed by the owners.

You get more fair balance from the morning and extra point shows.  I refuse to listen to the shirt show that’s in at 3-7pm.  I’d much rather listen when in the car to Movin the Chains on NFLR.

I don’t want to mislead in that I know what I get with Tasker and Brown.  I listen when time, but I make no mistake they are a biased pro Bills show.  I have adequate expectations.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.