When did Steve Tasker become such a homer?

Mister Defense

20 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

It is not Tasker’s job to be objective or critical of the team.

For any reporter that has a genuine critique of the Bills’ organization at any level, good luck maintaining your access to the best sources.

??

Not his job to be objective or critical?

Come on!!

20 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

After preseason game #1, Tasker explained Kyle Allen’s poor performance as “what QB is going to look good when on the same team as Josh Allen”. 

😂😂😂

Yeah, that is the point--he does this with almost everything now, especially related to the offense. He did not used to be like this, so I wonder what the change is.  Maybe he was told to be less objective and critical by the Bills at some point and so has  become someone with a lame, often bizarre, excuse for all that goes bad.

I cannot imagine any Bills fans being very  interested in that perspective.

20 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Kf some of you guys are expecting objective reporting with a critical eye from employees of the Pegulas, you might want to rethink you’re POV.

Herss a question.  If you work for. Fortune 500 company, are you outwardly critical of your employer and their leadership decisions.  That’s a quick drive to “You’re fired”!

Well find someone else says the employer.  The guy is probably 60 and needs to work.  I expect the advertisement when I listen to OBL.

But sports are different to me, as the games are right out there for all to see. And it is a game. It  seems absurd when those analyzing it seemed to have watched a different game and really diminishes their credibility. 

Edited by Mister Defense

8 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I get it. But maybe after 17 years of bad Buffalo football there's a part of him that wants to believe this is a great team.

I don't look to him for objective takes but I don't mind listening to the radio show either once in a while; Tasker does occasionally offer insight I find interesting. And hell, with all the doom and gloom here, I don't mind some positivity once in a while — even if it may not be always accurate.

I agree, think that Tasker is a much better football analyst than seems to be the common wisdom here. He can be direct, cut through the BS, and very clear, insigtful.  However, when it comes to the Bills though, especially the offense, this is almost non-existent for him. 

But listen to see how blunt and honest he can be, and often is, when talking about other teams.

To me that is a problem, undermining his credibility.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Sure, Cook is early in his rookie deal but Taylor is a proven commodity. He's averaged over 100 yards per game from scrimmage in his career. Unless the game plan is to continuously recycle RB's every 3 years through the draft or FA I don't understand why you wouldn't lock up a 24 year old superstar. I know its a position that's not as valued as it once was, but as far as difference makers are concerned I think I would've gave Taylor 14-15 per instead of paying Oliver 17 per. 

Well as you probably know I would not have paid Oliver either but that is a different issue.

And yes what you describe is exactly what you do with running backs. That's why they hate the current system. They are easy to replace and there is little upside to signing them to a big second contract. Perhaps the exception is McCaffrey but the jury is still out if he can stay healthy.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

??

Not his job to be objective or critical?

Come on!!

Yeah, that is the point--he does this with almost everything now, especially related to the offense. He did not used to be like this, so I wonder what the change is.  Maybe he was told to be less objective and critical by the Bills at some point and so has  become someone with a lame, often bizarre, excuse for all that goes bad.

I cannot imagine any Bills fans being very  interested in that perspective.

37 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

But sports are different to me, as the games are right out there for all to see. And it is a game. It  seems absurd when those analyzing it seemed to have watched a different game and really diminishes their credibility. 

24 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I agree, think that Tasker is a much better football analyst than seems to be the common wisdom here. He can be direct, cut through the BS, and very clear, insigtful.  However, when it comes to the Bills though, especially the offense, this is almost non-existent for him. 

But listen to see how blunt and honest he can be, and often is, when talking about other teams.

To me that is a problem, undermining his credibility.

You seem to be spiraling on this, when it shouldnt be much of a shock to anyone who understands what Steve Tasker's job truly is.

He is NOT an independent journalist trying to give us scoops. He is NOT an outside analyst trying to give objective breakdowns.

He IS hired and paid BY THE BILLS to promote and market their team. He does his radio show from the Bills' offices.

It's on you the listener to understand his motives and keep a proper frame of mind when listening to his entertainment show.

Also, understand that ALL sports media at its very core is nothing more than marketing arms of the professional sports leagues.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

You seem to be spiraling on this, when it shouldnt be much of a shock to anyone who understands what Steve Tasker's job truly is.

He is NOT an independent journalist trying to give us scoops. He is NOT an outside analyst trying to give objective breakdowns.

He IS hired and paid BY THE BILLS to promote and market their team. He does his radio show from the Bills' offices.

It's on you the listener to understand his motives and keep a proper frame of mind when listening to his entertainment show.

Also, understand that ALL sports media at its very core is nothing more than marketing arms of the professional sports leagues.

I don't agree at all with that assessment of what their role should be as Bills's employees, to whitewash and praise, and to always put the team in the best light as possible. That, to me, is  a very cynical and negative view.  It is like saying the  the coaching staff, trainers, or the GM should also simply market and praise the team and not to be objective.. 

For example,  I think that Beane and McDermott are frequently blunt and objective when speaking of the Bills' performance and team's strengths--and areas in need of improvement.

If they can be objective, I expect that same objectivity from all working for the Bills, including the broadcasters. It is not their job to "promote and market their team".  If it was then that would make them illegitimate broadcasters in my view and in general, based on what the role of broadcasters should be and is.

12 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I don't agree at all with that assessment of what their role should be as Bills's employees, to whitewash and praise, and to always put the team in the best light as possible. That, to me, is  a very cynical and negative view.  It is like saying the  the coaching staff, trainers, or the GM should also simply market and praise the team and not to be objective.. 

For example,  I think that Beane and McDermott are frequently blunt and objective when speaking of the Bills' performance and team's strengths--and areas in need of improvement.

If they can be objective, I expect that same objectivity from all working for the Bills, including the broadcasters. It is not their job to "promote and market their team".  If it was then that would make them illegitimate broadcasters in my view and in general, based on what the role of broadcasters should be and is.

Ok, you can "disagree" with it all you want. But short of writing a letter to Tasker and the Bills about his job description and duties, it is what it is whether you agree with it or not.

I expect that same objectivity from all working for the Bills

Prepare to be disappointed. Those are YOUR expectations.

It is not their job to "promote and market their team".

Yes it is.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes it is.

It is not their job to promote and praise the organization.  They are broadcasters, whose job is to provide, clear, honest and objective information and analysis.

Like I said, your take is very cynical--and not accurate either.  A cynical and negative take, saying. "that is what they all do..."

Not true and not accurate, especially for the good broadcasters.  I think all would agree with that.

• Disagree 2

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In my brief first career as a sports journalist I worked as a regular freelancer for the radio network that had exclusive rights to the Manchester United commentaries. I asked Sir Alex Ferguson which of his two (distinctly average, not that I said this) goalkeepers - one being former USMNT legend Tim Howard - he was going to pick for a League Cup Semi-Final vs Blackburn and got sworn at in a presser. I was only covering the presser because their usual Man U correspondent was off sick. You better believe I got an almighty dressing down by the Deputy Station Manager when I got back to the office. I'd done nothing more than ask "who is going to play in goal tomorrow night?"

"GunnerBill, Two Bills Drive."

image.png.f0377ca2ea650219977643f3b83bf450.png

18 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

It is not their job to promote and praise the organization.  They are broadcasters, whose job is to provide, clear, honest and objective information and analysis.

Like I said, your take is very cynical--and not accurate either.  A cynical and negative take, saying. "that is what they all do..."

Not true and not accurate, especially for the good broadcasters.  I think all would agree with that.

Not on OBL it isn't. That is paid for state propaganda. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

It's not a cynical take. It's the realistic take given who signs their paychecks. Your understanding and expectations of this specific person and situation are inaccurate.

You are lumping all "broadcasters" together as equals. They are not.

4 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Defense, I work I. Rare disease orphan drug sales and our corporate decisions are very easy to see the ramifications of choices, but I am very careful as to what I say and even more what I write about my company.  It’s the way of the world.

It’s why you get some criticism from the WGR analysts, but not OBL.  They work for the Pegulas.  

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Maybe you aren't sure who the OBL "analysts" work for?

Pointing out the answer to that isn't really "cynical".

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe you aren't sure who the OBL "analysts" work for?

Pointing out the answer to that isn't really "cynical".

Good broadcasters, and I think both Tasker and Brown have that ability, are honest  and objective. Period. Or almost no one will end up caring what they have to say.

We see what is happening in our country when so many citizens believe the objective truth can easily be replaced with conspiracy theories, the facts be damned.

Bean is one of the most blunt NFL GMs I have witnessed, and if you ask him he will tell you, I am sure, he wants the same from Tasker and Brown.

The answer to that question does not mean that they throw away their integrity for a paycheck and make things up, ignore the facts.

12 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Good broadcasters, and I think both Tasker and Brown have that ability, are honest  and objective. Period. Or almost no one will end up caring what they have to say.

We see what is happening in our country when so many citizens believe the objective truth can easily be replaced with conspiracy theories, the facts be damned.

Bean is one of the most blunt NFL GMs I have witnessed, and if you ask him he will tell you, I am sure, he wants the same from Tasker and Brown.

The answer to that question does not mean that they throw away their integrity for a paycheck and make things up, ignore the facts.

Beane doesn’t pay or supervise Tasker.

people who tune into OBL regularly doesn’t want objectivity.  They are fans listening to what they want to hear. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Looking for the guy who works for the team to be objective isn’t realistic nor should it be. Look at what happened to the guy who works for the Baltimore Orioles as an example of why these guys aren’t overly critical of the teams they work for-guy got suspended just because he said the team hadn’t played well against the Rays for the last couple of years! Tasker is critical of the team and players at times, but do you honestly think that’s what he was hired to do? 

Even the national broadcast guys have their open biases-hello Chris Collinsworth! 

Tasker is a Buffalo Bill through and through.

I think in his early years of broadcasting Bills games he tried to overcompensate for his "homerism" and probably came across as overly negative about the team. I also think that during the drought he probably (like many fans, including myself) fell into the "oh no, here we go again -- what can go wrong now?" mindset. I know when I watch games, especially with folks that are NOT Bills fans, I sometimes come across as negative because of the pessimism that has been ingrained over the last 20 years.

With the drought over, I do find myself more optimistic (although the pessimism still creeps in from time to time). I would not be surprised if Tasker's evolution has been somewhat similar.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/22/2023 at 11:17 AM, Mister Defense said:

On One Bills Live Tasker refuses to give or agree with any criticism whatsover as  to how Ken Dorsey has done as an offensive coordinator. By his reactions, you can often tell that Chris Brown is not on the same page, though he often defers to Tasker overall.  Someone like Maddy Glab seems to imply she has her doubts about Dorsey, expecting to see some big changes this year.

I am posting this because of Tasker's comments on OBL Monday 8-21, related to the Bills' offense horrendous performance against Pittsburgh.  I was curious to see if Tasker was going to level any criticism at all on the coaching staff for how un-disciplined and un-prepared the Bills looked. After all, the buck stops at the top.

But right on cue, and immediately, he made almost shocking excuses for the Bills performance, letting all off the hook.  He said that the Bills just want to play the Jets in the opener and didn't seem interested in this pre season game at all.  He said that over and over, couldn't get that out fast enough to open the show. But not as a criticism at all, but as a valid excuse.

Then he took the next step, and said that this successful veteran team is focused on the winning playoff games, indicating that a game like this had almost no importance to them; so why bother?  But again, he wasn't being critical at all, just offering a lame and strange excuse.

Of course in his hyper-homer like analysis he offered even more damning criticism of the Bills.  As without the mindset that all games, all plays, are important, there is no way this Bills team can contend for a championship. In response, Brown said something like this meekly at one point.

Tasker is one my favorite players in my decades of being a Bills fan, a vital cog in the best teams I have ever seen play in Buffalo, and smart, with great character. I also appreciated his work as a color commentator, as he was objective,  clear, and didn't overdo it, didn't speak just to hear himself talk (see: Kirk Herbstreet, the opposite).

But repeatedly saying the Bills are going to be a "wrecking crew" this year, and not seeing the problems most saw as the season progressed last year, and now in this pre-season, has me losing respect for his opinion. Then, his almost comical response to the Pittsburgh fiasco showed me how far down the rabbit hole he has burrowed.

I think that objective, honest analysis is the most helpful, and Tasker's  has become lacking in both respects, in my opinion.

When did water become wet?

• Haha (+1) 1

Tasker was absolutely not a homer. The reason I disliked his early commentating is because he didn't even slightly lean towards homer-ism. During the drought, you'd think he hated the team for how critical he was. It wasn't until someone asked him directly why he was so down on the team and he said something like "I'll tell you they're good when they're actually good." 

That being said, he's come around too much with the current roster. He's not wrong in saying that this roster could have won the Super Bowl for the past few years. But both he and Chris Brown's have bought in 100% where even die-hard optimists have concerns i.e. Spencer Brown & MLB. That plus their endorsement of the Delayed Onset Emotional Exhaustion excuse for absolutely everything--even roster construction--is disappointing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.