When did Steve Tasker become such a homer?

Mister Defense

Tasker is employed by the Bills and ex player. I have found players tend to be less critical then outsiders who never played as they know the preparation and work that goes into everything. Additionally I think he as invested in the Bills winning a title finally as the team itself because if they finally get a ring it kind of closes the door and heals the job they couldn't finish. Tasker is at times a good listen and other times state radio, but I attribute much of that to the fact he was an ex-player and the vast majority of us have never seen .001% of what he has in terms of locker room and the game itself. Also remember Chris Brown has gotten in trouble for being critical a few times past the normal line, so in sense they do play off each other.

On the flipside to kind of defend Tasker I have found fans this entire off season from the moment the clock went 0:00 against CIN to be overly harsh, pessimistic, and unwilling to consider some doses of reality that last years team was in fact quite good, the offense while being up and down in the back half was also quite good, and having a teammate nearly die after a world wind of obstacles throughout may finally have just hit the team at the worst possible moment. I do not think anyone on the team coach or player would say the CIN loss was acceptable or make an excuse or deny areas they could improve. Also the Bengals are a very good team, good teams beat good teams believe it or not despite what most fans want to believe. The freak-out over a preseason game vs PIT that means nothing, in a game they didn't game plan for, and more or less just working different personnel through has bordered on the point of comical.

I will say this the Dorsey criticism is misguided at him and to me goes to McD. Heading into 2022 they said no excuses even though it was year 1 for Dorsey and virtually no 1st year 1st time OC has made a SB. Then after the season it turned into he will grow from year 1 and be so much better. I buy he will grow, but their basically covering themselves by now saying he was new.

• Like (+1) 3

I somewhat agree with the OP on Tasker. Yes...it was a preseason game and didn't mean a lot. But as far as the ridiculous amount of penalties, he said numerous times that the "players" did not come prepared. I was going to call in to challenge him on this. Isn't it the "coaches" job to prepare and motivate the players? Tasker never seems to call out the coaching staff or Beane. Yes, he can be a homer to a fault at times.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One Bills Live is state sponsored broadcasting.

Yeah, and every team in North American sports has this. I realize this is different in European soccer/football coverage where everything is negative all the time. But here what's remarkable is if a broadcaster employed by a team is not a homer. Here in Cincinnati, Marty Brenneman had an open love/hate relationship with the Reds for 4 decades. He was the most negative play-by-play guy in MLB for his entire career. It did get annoying to listen to sometimes. Also, how is it that this forum currently has a huge thread memorializing the king of the homers pinned to the top and also a number of threads complaining about Tasker and other Bills homers in the local media? Do hockey homers get a pass? 

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's always been a homer.

And he is correct. 

Bills starters should not have been in this game. Zero upside. Only injury risk. I'd like to blame McDermott but almost all the coaches make the same bad decision.  

Agree with not playing starters, but woof, did they look just as lackadaisical and awful as they did in Cincy.  That's bad, and Brown in particular is a cause for concern.  It's like we fixed the IOL and the OTs suddenly became a bigger liability.  OL wack-a-mole.  

And wtf is Tasker talking about playoffs for?  Playoffs?  Yeah, those went really well the last 2 years.  

So many excuses for not winning by some of these guys.  I could care less about the regular season stats for Dorsey, et. al.  Winning in the playoffs is what matters.  We can't seem to figure that out.  Hopefully this year with the vet additions, particularly on D, and McD taking over with hopefully more aggressive play calling, we can do that.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Well, if true, that is too bad.  I expect my Bills heroes to be above the fray..

everyone know those people at work that tell it like it is…. They are usually the first names up when it’s RIF time… 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Yeah, and every team in North American sports has this. I realize this is different in European soccer/football coverage where everything is negative all the time. But here what's remarkable is if a broadcaster employed by a team is not a homer. Here in Cincinnati, Marty Brenneman had an open love/hate relationship with the Reds for 4 decades. He was the most negative play-by-play guy in MLB for his entire career. It did get annoying to listen to sometimes. Also, how is it that this forum currently has a huge thread memorializing the king of the homers pinned to the top and also a number of threads complaining about Tasker and other Bills homers in the local media? Do hockey homers get a pass? 

Oh we have it to. In my brief first career as a sports journalist I worked as a regular freelancer for the radio network that had exclusive rights to the Manchester United commentaries. I asked Sir Alex Ferguson which of his two (distinctly average, not that I said this) goalkeepers - one being former USMNT legend Tim Howard - he was going to pick for a League Cup Semi-Final vs Blackburn and got sworn at in a presser. I was only covering the presser because their usual Man U correspondent was off sick. You better believe I got an almighty dressing down by the Deputy Station Manager when I got back to the office. I'd done nothing more than ask "who is going to play in goal tomorrow night?"

I'm not complaining about Tasker either btw. I'm just wondering why people get exercised about what is said on OBL..... because it is team sponsored homerism. You can't expect it to be objective. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

He was making excuses for the Bills and said "they didn't want to be there" (playing a meaningless preseason game).

He did like the fact that McD threw out the field glasses though.  

Since it was a meaningless preseason game let's move on already......

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

Tasker is a company man. It’s his source of income these days I’d imagine. 

Kf some of you guys are expecting objective reporting with a critical eye from employees of the Pegulas, you might want to rethink you’re POV.

Herss a question.  If you work for. Fortune 500 company, are you outwardly critical of your employer and their leadership decisions.  That’s a quick drive to “You’re fired”!

Well find someone else says the employer.  The guy is probably 60 and needs to work.  I expect the advertisement when I listen to OBL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.