Wk 1 - Bills -1.5 vs Jets - who you picking - how much can we over analyze this over the next 3 wks?

Chaos

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

This… also offense looked sloppy as *****… was a theme for several games last season. Hopefully corrected by week one.

Almost feels like the Bills are limping into the Monday night game vs the Jets. 

Under the McD regime, the Bills have won a lot of pre season games and played pretty well. Felt like he wanted to instill winning, playing hard, and executing in these games. 

This year seems completely different. Like let's not get hurt and play ultra conservative. Maybe that's a good thing? Just feels a bit strange. 

Certainly, had me wondering if other teams especially in the division have closed the gap. 

This season seems pivotal to the direction on the Bills going forward. 

As a side note, look out for Diggs if things start going south. He will 100 percent be a problem. Hopefully, that doesn't happen. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

McD has got to be focused and in turn get the guys focused as well.  Environmental factors work against the Bills but they can quiet the crowd with a couple quick scores.

Alternatively, McD chokes in big game on national stage, media declares Bills run over, and Jets in ascendance.

Either way i just put some coin on Bills -1.5

Anyone have flashbacks of opening day vs Pitt a couple of years ago? 

McD didn't have the team ready to play at all. 

It is possible the Bills players are still suffering from the turbulence of last season. Suffering from PTSD? Have they moved on? Can they focus on football? 

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't see the Bills putting up 31 points vs that Jets D. 

I think the Jets Dline dominants the Bills Oline. That's the more likely outcome than vice versa. Quinton Williams will be dominant. 

I have to agree with you here, on the road facing a division rival in their home opener against a pretty strong Jets defense that likely will improve from last year. That by itself 31 points may be a tall task.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It is possible the Bills players are still suffering from the turbulence of last season. Suffering from PTSD? Have they moved on? Can they focus on football? 

Yeah that's my worry too and why I only put my kid's college fund on the game, and not the balance in my HELOC account

Just kidding, i put the HELOC on it too

In all seriousness, if the Bills come out flat and just mail it in, we're going to have to start questioning the coaching

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Yeah that's my worry too and why I only put my kid's college fund on the game, and not the balance in my HELOC account

In all seriousness, if the Bills come out flat and just mail it in, we're going to have to start questioning the coaching

If the Bills players come out flat I'm questioning the players first coaches can only do so much to prepare the players but it's on them to get the work done.  If they can't get focused to play a primetime game to start the season they don't belong in the league let alone on one of the top teams.  

1 minute ago, AuntieEm said:

If the Bills players come out flat I'm questioning the players first coaches can only do so much to prepare the players but it's on them to get the work done.  If they can't get focused to play a primetime game to start the season they don't belong in the league let alone on one of the top teams.  

It's a whole lot easier to replace 1 guy than 53

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know where else to post this, so I'll put it here - Elam has a broken rib per my usual source. It apparently won't be a major issue for the regular season though.

Sorry I just realized I typed the wrong name. SHAKIR has the broken rib, not Elam. I had a brain fart.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I'm already there. I started questioning the coaching shortly after 13 seconds. 

Since McD has arrived, I've watched the Bills lose winnable playoff games and get out coached numerous times. 

He's not a poor or horrible coach but I think he's overrated. I welcome a change to an offensive minded coach . 

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm already there. I started questioning the coaching shortly after 13 seconds. 

Since McD has arrived, I've watched the Bills lose winnable playoff games and get out coached numerous times. 

He's not a poor or horrible coach but I think he's overrated. I welcome a change to an offensive minded coach . 

Someone like Lions OC Ben Johnson. If they have a good season like many predict I could see him being a good candidate for any openings after the season.

22 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea,  but then you aren't  fixing what is the problem.  If I have a limo and it breaks down won't run replacing the driver isn't gonna make a difference.  

You're assuming that the whole team is the problem and not the coach.  That's not generally how things work.  It's the coaches job to figure out how to get the most out of the team he has.   Put it this way, do you think that McD would have won the same number of games with another team?

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

You're assuming that the whole team is the problem and not the coach.  That's not generally how things work.  It's the coaches job to figure out how to get the most out of the team he has.   Put it this way, do you think that McD would have won the same number of games with another team?

It depends which team.  He's going to be around .500 if he had the Pats.

He would be in the 11-14 win area with the Bengals and Chiefs.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It depends which team.  He's going to be around .500 if he had the Pats.

He would be in the 11-14 win area with the Bengals and Chiefs.

Then put coach Belichick or Reid on the Bills, what happens?

The key to the game will be which D line can take advantage of the opposing O line.  In the playoff game against the Bengals, the Bills supposedly had the edge because of the poor O line of the Bengals.  But our D line failed to show up, and Burrow carved up our injury depleted D backfield.  

The Bills D backfield is in better shape now, but the immense hole at MLB is going to make Rodgers fat and happy unless our D line finally plays well.  

The Jets D line is very good but its strength is mostly in the middle, where the Bills finally seem to have found some answers.  The Bills have a good chance to win if our OTs can play at even an average level.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Obviously if we lose to the Jets (and decisively) there will be many story lines coming out of the game.

I do think similar to the 13 seconds debacle 2 years ago, this team must now shake off the Bengals playoff game loss and refocus heading into the new season. Not many folks picking the Bills to be a legit SB contender anymore so at least the weight of the media pressure is off their shoulders, although it seems like they played a like a team that reads their own press clippings in Pittsburgh.

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Obviously if we lose to the Jets (and decisively) there will be many story lines coming out of the game.

I do think similar to the 13 seconds debacle 2 years ago, this team must now shake off the Bengals playoff game loss and refocus heading into the new season. Not many folks picking the Bills to be a legit SB contender anymore so at least the weight of the media pressure is off their shoulders, although it seems like they played a like a team that reads their own press clippings in Pittsburgh.

It's starting to look like Buffalo was and is a solid playoff team that presumably falls short year after year. 

At the very least, it applies until proven false. 

50 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Someone like Lions OC Ben Johnson. If they have a good season like many predict I could see him being a good candidate for any openings after the season.

Frankly, I wanted him as the Bills coach this year. I think he would have given the team a huge spark, new identity, and even more dangerous on the offensive side of the ball. 

Frankly, I just can't get excited about coach McD anymore. His time has run out in my mind. He's best to go rebuild another team. 

I know that's the minority view. I get it. 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It's starting to look like Buffalo was and is a solid playoff team that presumably falls short year after year. 

At the very least, it applies until proven false. 

Frankly, I wanted him as the Bills coach this year. I think he would have given the team a huge spark, new identity, and even more dangerous on the offensive side of the ball. 

Frankly, I just can't get excited about coach McD anymore. His time has run out in my mind. He's best to go rebuild another team. 

I know that's the minority view. I get it. 

The playoff failures are getting old, however. I wonder if this team really ever recovered from 13 seconds. If the Bills fail again this year, then the heat should be turned up on McDermott's job security in Buffalo. I am sure it will by the fans and media but will it by Terry P is the big question. 

Edited by Gregg

33 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't know.  Belichick hasn't won without Brady and Reid hasn't won without Mahomes.  Belichick is about 10 games below .500 without Brady.

He may not have won a SB but he won lots of games making post season on a regular basis for period of time and also made a SB appearance. Belichick I can get, but Reid has had success with different QBs. 

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

He may not have won a SB but he won lots of games making post season on a regular basis for period of time and also made a SB appearance. Belichick I can get, but Reid has had success with different QBs. 

Belichick went to 9 Super Bowls and won 6 of them with Brady. If he is coaching the Bills with Allen as his QB then a Super Bowl championship is coming to Buffalo. I have no doubt about that.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Belichick went to 9 Super Bowls and won 6 of them with Brady. If he is coaching the Bills with Allen as his QB then a Super Bowl championship is coming to Buffalo. I have no doubt about that.

If there was ever a remote possibility that Belichik leaves the Patriots organization after this year I think the Pegulas would be foolish not to jump all over it especially if this ends up being a down season in Buffalo or even another trip to the playoffs and early exit.

Only real challenge would be how quickly he could dump the current defensive scheme and transition to his style defense especially with the current roster on defense side.

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Like the Jets in this one… suspect the refs help em out bit time and our line struggles to block the Jets upfront. 

Season didn’t even start yet but are ready to roll !!!

• Like (+1) 1

Jets will win this game, our OL is still a work in progress and we just lost Doyle for the entire year and the next man up process will not go well against the Jets DL.  I seriously have doubts McD will be able to pull off his dual coaching responsibility this year.  Too much responsibility on his plate, and he is already known for his bad game day management.  He has not done well having his team ready to play when it matters.  This season is going to be sink or swim because they failed to bring in a outside DC, IMO.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Jets will win this game, our OL is still a work in progress and we just lost Doyle for the entire year and the next man up process will not go well against the Jets DL.  I seriously have doubts McD will be able to pull off his dual coaching responsibility this year.  Too much responsibility on his plate, and he is already known for his bad game day management.  He has not done well having his team ready to play when it matters.  This season is going to be sink or swim because they failed to bring in a outside DC, IMO.

Doyle was probably the 5th tackle on the depth chart. Mayyyybe 4th. You're assuming both Bills tackles get injured during the Jets game? 

And if you're wrong, and the Bills win, you should promise to not post again until the season is over, because we are all beyond sick of declarative opinions presented as "just the uncomfortable truth you homers can't stand" 

• Vomit 1

51 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Definitely would be no surprise if Jets win...but to your comment about the OL, that's why it's such a toss up to me. Just like the Bills they have questions at OL 

12 hours ago, arcane said:

Doyle was probably the 5th tackle on the depth chart. Mayyyybe 4th. You're assuming both Bills tackles get injured during the Jets game? 

And if you're wrong, and the Bills win, you should promise to not post again until the season is over, because we are all beyond sick of declarative opinions presented as "just the uncomfortable truth you homers can't stand" 

No it is the fact that this team constantly makes bone headed mistakes, with coaching, team preparedness, and game planning when it matters most.  Also the fact that the Jets got a lot better when we did not.  That's not being a homer that's being brutally honest.  Maybe that's something you should consider and spare us your short sightedness.

Wait until you see what Dalvin Cook does for this jets team on Monday night.

We had home field against Cincinnati last year in the playoffs and everything to play for and this team had no game plan, desire or intensity, and was one of the worst performances I have watched in quite some time for a team that always wanted home field advantage in the playoffs.  This is all on the coaching and the GM.

Dude get real.....

Edited by Toyo321
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

So odd that Tommy Doyle’s injury hasn’t moved the betting line.  Vegas is asleep at the wheel.

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

We're losing to the Jets because we lost our third string tackle.

Absolutely brilliant.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If he wins one more in the next 2 years, I would say he's in the conversation.

Until he gets 5-6 he ain't the sith lord

BB is the best gameplanner and masker of talent I've ever seen

Reid is feasting on the AFC post goat

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Process said:

Absolutely brilliant.

The fact is that our OL is still a mess, we are losing OL linemen even before the season starts.  You  can only pull so many rabbits out of the hat to fix your OL and now the depth chart is already in decline, And Beane is signing USFL players for potential roster spot depth.

What does that tell you,  enough said

things-that-make-you-go-bluh-ron-white.g

Edited by Toyo321
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

No it is the fact that this team constantly makes bone headed mistakes, with coaching, team preparedness, and game planning when it matters most.  Also the fact that the Jets got a lot better when we did not.  That's not being a homer that's being brutally honest.  Maybe that something you should consider and spare us your short sightedness.

Wait until you see what Dalvin Cook does for this jets team on Monday night.

We had home field against Cincinnati last year in the playoffs and everything to play for and this team had no game plan, desire or intensity, and was one of the worst performances I have watched in quite some time for a team that always wanted home field advantage in the playoffs.  This is all on the coaching and the GM.

Dude get real.....

Home run!

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

Absolutely brilliant.

No, the Bills are losing to the Jets because they will dominant the battle in the trenches. The Bills are still weak there. 

The Jets are more physical and it's a bad match up for the Bills. Think Pittsburg and Tennessee if you will. 

The difference maker last year was mostly the QB position. The Jets closed the gap tremendously. Rodgers won't be asked to be Superman in NY. Delvin Cook broke off a huge run last year and another wouldn't surprise me especially because the Jets like to pound the rock. Likely Cook will be extra motivated. 

It's a  opening Monday night game on September 11th in NY. What a frenzy and home field advantage the Jets have. HUGE!!! How can the refs not favor the Jets! We all should get prepared for a ref fuc#ing. 

The team looks to be limping into this game. The offense and defense looks somewhat  unenthusiastic, unmotivated, or perhaps floundering. I know many we revert to it being preseason and no need to be alarmed. I get that. However, it doesn't bode confidence in my mind. 

Lastly, you have to keep in mind the coaching factor. McD has a lot on his plate and who knows how Dorsey responds under serve duress. Perhaps another tablet is DOA. 

I don't see the Bills offense consistently moving the ball in the Jets. Their defense matches up well with Buffalo. The Bills oline is a work in progress. Nowhere near refined or cohesive. Their dline will win more battles than they lose. Not to mention they have one of the best secondaries in the league. Besides Diggs the Bills have a bunch of fill ins. Don't believe the Gabe Davis hype. 

The Bills are experience and have Allen. That alone should keep the game somewhat close. 

In the end, the Bills have too much to overcome. No Von, home field advantage, poor ref calls, McD first game as coach and DC, Dorsey?, no MLB, and a oline that is a work in progress. This is the Jets Superbowl sort of speak. 

Bills lose by 10. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

You guys think our OL is bad? They do not have backup Calibur Tackles let alone starting tackles on that line. Defensive battle but we got the better offensive line then them by far.

This game is won in the trenches. we win by 6

Sir, the Bills couldn't do anything vs Cincinnati three oline back ups. The same theme was fermented day after day until the game started. To boot, the Bengals running game thrashed the defense too.

Do you really have confidence that the Bills can generate a solid pass rush? I don't! Can they stop the run? 

The Bills don't have the advantage in the trenches. They are a finesse team that lacks strength and relays on speed. The Jets will likely out muscle the smaller Bills players. Remember, the Zach Wilson game where they pounded the ball like 10 to 15 times straight and ran out the clock for the win. They know how to run block well and they added a dangerous and motivated Delvin Cook. 

In short, don't get enamored with the weak oline of the Jets. The Bills pass rush is unlikely to take advantage of it and Rodgers knows how to handle pressure. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:24 PM, Chaos said:

What are your picks?
What is your over analysis of the game? 

Being sane, naturally I’m concerned…. On offense it’s our tackles and our seemingly inability to install a short passing game. That’s a horrible mix. 

On defense it’s a lot of things. No matter how many DL we pay, they, seemingly, underachieve no matter who we get.

Then we have to worry about the huge hole at MLB and finally we have to worry why the secondary doesn’t look very good at all this preseason. I was expecting our D to challenge every sort of pass and we really haven’t seen that at all….

Our best bet is that McD really decided to hold back this preseason more than in the past and that this really rubbed off on the team and everyone is moving half speed waiting for week one.

The jets have an excellent roster.

Hopefully, so do we. Hopefully this roster still Billieve in itself and fight tooth and nail on every single play for a full 60 minutes.

We can win, but we have to play like we haven’t seen since early in the 2022 season.

Go Bills!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.