Training Camp - 8/3 - 9:45am

The Wiz

40 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Milano plays over 90% of the snaps on defense so unless he has to miss time due to injury then Williams might not get his number called much. Secondly, didn’t they draft Bernard last year to be depth behind Milano? 

Seems like drafting Bernard and Williams in the 3rd round and consecutive years is redundant.

Sigh, every draft / season changes the team dynamics…,  constant tweaking of positions is a constant, it is a thing that happens league wide, not every position has a Josh Allen level player doing the job,  Sure it can be frustrating when we aren’t in the conversation as to why things happen, but that’s the life of a fan, 

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Think that's the first time I've heard him running with the second team (at least reported).

I heard he's been playing with the 1st and sometimes 2nds and scarcely coming off for a sip of water. 

They seem to be pushing to get him all the reps they safely can (and maybe more than, though Rochester is a relatively good environment for moderate heat/humidity

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, eball said:

As nice as it is to hear good things about Ray, I refuse to allow myself to be baited into believing he will make this team.  His path is simply unprecedented.  If it happens, I’ll gladly enjoy the rewards…but right now I’m a “I’ll believe it when I see it” guy in this respect.

He's perfect for the practice squad though. He can have a shot that way

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

And this is where we sit with Shakir.  He's not a bad player, but depending upon him as our #3 (just like depending upon Davis as our #2) puts the Bills at a stark disadvantage at WR vs a handful of teams with 2 or even 3 top WR.  

The only guy on the team last season who could consistently make that "ooohs" and "aaaahs" catch was Diggs.  Hopefully Kincaid joins him.

• Disagree 1

52 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Milano plays over 90% of the snaps on defense so unless he has to miss time due to injury then Williams might not get his number called much. Secondly, didn’t they draft Bernard last year to be depth behind Milano? 

Seems like drafting Bernard and Williams in the 3rd round and consecutive years is redundant.

Milano has missed time with injuries, and no they drafted Bernard to play potentially at MLB as well.  

Again, I think you missed the point of the rest of my previous response where the focal point is that it’s way too early right now to conclude any long term plans for him.  They are looking at guys who have some experience first and trying not force the rookie to learn 2 positions right now.  He very much was drafted as a potential MLB as well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sounds like Elam and Jackson are both having excellent days today. Good problem to have.

I think when the dust settles, and barring any long term injury (knock on wood), the Bills will have the best secondary in football this season.

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Thad is such a turd

He's not wrong though.  Josh was forcing in those throws to Davis last season, resulting in Davis leading the league in INT per target on throws to him

He had 6, and he's the only WR with less than 100 targets and that many INT on throws to him.

There might be one or two of those Davis should have come back for or contested more aggressively, but mostly they're Josh's fault, and he needs to change what he's seeing/doing a bit.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Ah, the gripes that have already been addressed resurface each and every practice day here at TBD as if they are brand new!

- Elam is very skilled at sticky man coverage and is still picking up his technique playing in zone scheme. No, he is not better than Tre, that was last year while Tre was still working back to 100%. Yes he is more talented than Dane of course, but RIGHT NOW Dane can play the full scheme steadily. Elam will still get plenty of time on the field and hopefully put it all together this season and take the 2 spot.

- Williams is a talented player, but probably overwhelmed on having to make all the D calls right now. That's why he is growing behind Milano for the time being. Not a wasted pick... What's wrong is to count on a 3rd rd draft pick to come right in and do all that. Does it happen? Yes. Not with any certainty though. 

All NFL teams have areas they aren't elite in. There's a salary cap. The last closest thing to a team without flaws was the 2011 Pats, 2007 Pats and 1991 Redskins. They are extreme outliers. The 2023 Bills have an elite roster as compared to their peers.

Our and my point is we are not elite at OT, DT, and DE. With limited resources as you said you can't waste 3rd round picks on project players at positions that are not of need. They play 2 LBs the vast majority of the time. Whoever is not the starting MLB has traditionally been the backup for both LB spots. 

Best case scenario, Milano stays healthy all year and the kid sits all year. 

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not the worst thing for a WR5 - 2nd year RD5 pick, but he's starting to come across as an ok depth WR.  Can get open at a decent clip, but just doesn't make the big play.  

Had a chance to make a huge play in the playoffs... dropped it.   Similar themes recurring in camp. 

Hope he can get over the hump, but the reports I'm reading, don't give me a ton of confidence in Shakir as starting slot.  

Harty has elite speed.  Sherfield is an elite blocker. 

Shakir comes across as the Devin Singletary of WR's so far...

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He's not wrong though.  Josh was forcing in those throws to Davis last season, resulting in Davis leading the league in INT per target on throws to him

He had 6, and he's the only WR with less than 100 targets and that many INT on throws to him.

There might be one or two of those Davis should have come back for or contested more aggressively, but mostly they're Josh's fault, and he needs to change what he's seeing/doing a bit.

Yeh but Josh in reality needs to stop throwing to Gabe as much as he does. Gabe is just a JAG with no real redeeming qualities 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Kincaid really should not even be blocking. That's what Knox and Gilliam/Morris/Sternberger are for

He has to be able to block, somewhat, otherwise he's just a really big, slow slot WR.   Now maybe he's so good that he's Travis Kelce-esque in the slot and it  doesn't matter if teams treat him as such... but I think the conversation Jeremy White had yesterday about the failure of Ertz/Goedert in Philly is at least a worthwhile discussion.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Kincaid really should not even be blocking. That's what Knox and Gilliam/Morris/Sternberger are for

The Bills expect all their WR and TE to block, if nothing else downfield or on bubble screens.

One reason we struggled with those is that Beasley didn't (well), and his first couple years Knox wasn't so good at them either.

Kincaid needs to learn to block.  Doesn't mean the Bills will be using him in-line as a 6th OLman, but he needs to be able to block, it's part of the job.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Trade Diggs and get all the assets you can now👌

I hope this isn't a serious post 

Just now, HappyDays said:

Uh oh...

I feel bad for him.  Brandon Shell or Richard Gouriage should start.  It would make sense to have the 2 Gators grow next to each other on the line if he can earn it 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeh but Josh in reality needs to stop throwing to Gabe as much as he does. Gabe is just a JAG with no real redeeming qualities 

That's a shallow take. 

JAG with no redeeming qualities don't collect 200 yds on 8 receptions in a playoff game vs KC or even 85 on 4 (but all critical, high DOD shoestrings)

The issue with Gabe is that his play shows a very high ceiling, but it's inconsistent.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Uh oh...

Welp..  Glad I like our OL at the other 4 spots, because RT is looking like an adventure.  

Not a good sign, and sad because it sounds like he was pretty good today too.

Even if Beane wanted to give Spencer another shot, when you have a guy who both 1- has been absolutely terrible for two years and 2- has a history with back issues, you should probably at least have a good back up plan in place. 

Don't love the idea of Q starting. Wish they added somebody, even if planned on having Spencer start the season. 

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sounds like Elam and Jackson are both having excellent days today. Good problem to have.

Elam plays physical, he was always going to begin to shine more once pads went on, which is why some of the concern and panic people had that he wasn't the official CB2 yet didn't really make a lot of sense to me.  

If I had to guess, I would think Elam wins the job just because I think he has the most overall talent.  That being said, Dane and Benford can play too, so it won't just be given to Elam either and both those guys could win the job themselves too.  But I do think now that pads are on, Elam is going to start to stand out more.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.