Training Camp - 8/3 - 9:45am

The Wiz

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Our and my point is we are not elite at OT, DT, and DE. With limited resources as you said you can't waste 3rd round picks on project players at positions that are not of need. They play 2 LBs the vast majority of the time. Whoever is not the starting MLB has traditionally been the backup for both LB spots. 

Best case scenario, Milano stays healthy all year and the kid sits all year. 

One training camp, 7 practices in and you've already determined Williams a waste.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He's not wrong though.  Josh was forcing in those throws to Davis last season, resulting in Davis leading the league in INT per target on throws to him

He had 6, and he's the only WR with less than 100 targets and that many INT on throws to him.

There might be one or two of those Davis should have come back for or contested more aggressively, but mostly they're Josh's fault, and he needs to change what he's seeing/doing a bit.

One can be right now and then and still be a turd. That's Thad.

Just now, nucci said:

TE shouldn't block? ...what about WRs...Diggs and Davis block on running plays

I wasn't being serious. I'm just weary that this staff will see his below average blocking skills as a reason not to trust him....and then he won't be on the field as often as he should be considering his talent level 

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Are you freaking kidding me.  

Nothing against Spencer......Shell is a better OT 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Awesome 3rd round pick on a guy that will probably be a healthy scratch the entire year. What a waste. Should have been a DE, DT, or OT. 

With as talented as our roster is, the odds of a 3rd round draft pick starting, or even contributing outside of ST, is low any way.  I trust that Beane and McDermott have a development plan for Williams, and in my opinion, they have earned patience.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

One training camp, 7 practices in and you've already determined Williams a waste.  

I said 3 minutes after Dorian was picked that this will be Milano’s backup and I’m good with that.  That’s his floor.  Best case maybe he goes to MLB.  

But we need someone behind Milano and if they liked this kid as the late 3rd rounder he was then fine.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Uh oh...

This is what worried me about Brown more than if he would take a step forward or not. Back problems for guys that big are often reoccurring. Hopefully, Shell or Doyle can step in if Brown misses time...but Spencer being healthy and taking steps forward is the hope.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not the worst thing for a WR5 - 2nd year RD5 pick, but he's starting to come across as an ok depth WR.  Can get open at a decent clip, but just doesn't make the big play.  

Had a chance to make a huge play in the playoffs... dropped it.   Similar themes recurring in camp. 

Hope he can get over the hump, but the reports I'm reading, don't give me a ton of confidence in Shakir as starting slot.  

Harty has elite speed.  Sherfield is an elite blocker. 

Shakir comes across as the Devin Singletary of WR's so far...

No disrespect, but this narrative needs to go away.  He did not drop that ball, there is a big difference in a "drop" and a ball that slightly moved on a diving catch 60 yards down field on a rope from Allen laying out to make the play.  

People keep saying "drop" as if he flat out muffed it, but that was not the case and this was not an easy catch to make and maintain control.  Ball traveled 60+ yards on a rope from Allen where he layed out on a diving catch where he made the catch but on the impact the ball slightly moved and as he rolled after hitting the ground the tip of the ball touched the turf.  He never lost the ball and by all accounts it seemed like a clear catch until one angle showed the tip of the ball knick the ground and had to be over turned on replay.  

Too much is made of this play as if the ball hit him in the hands and he just dropped it.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's a shallow take. 

JAG with no redeeming qualities don't collect 200 yds on 8 receptions in a playoff game vs KC or even 85 on 4 (but all critical, high DOD shoestrings)

The issue with Gabe is that his play shows a very high ceiling, but it's inconsistent.

He’s terrible way too inconsistent a number 2 receiver for a Super Bowl contender 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Uh oh...

Sounds like he might have slipped a disc a little.  I had back surgery in November of 2021 and quick sudden movements can just throw it out easily.

I can train at the gym hard....completely good.  Then I can drop my wallet on the ground and when I go down to reach it....out.  Now I'm walking around like I have to poop all day.

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We spent ANOTHER 3rd round pick on an undersized LB that isn't ready to play the middle....where we really need someone 

Bernard is competing for the MLB spot.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but this narrative needs to go away.  He did not drop that ball, there is a big difference in a "drop" and a ball that slightly moved on a diving catch 60 yards down field on a rope from Allen laying out to make the play.  

People keep saying "drop" as if he flat out muffed it, but that was not the case and this was not an easy catch to make and maintain control.  Ball traveled 60+ yards on a rope from Allen where he layed out on a diving catch where he made the catch but on the impact the ball slightly moved and as he rolled after hitting the ground the tip of the ball touched the turf.  He never lost the ball and by all accounts it seemed like a clear catch until one angle showed the tip of the ball knick the ground and had to be over turned on replay.  

Too much is made of this play as if the ball hit him in the hands and he just dropped it.  

He didn't catch it.  Doesn't matter if he spazzed on it or it moved slightly and hit the ground... he didn't make the play. 

He's a RD5 draft pick that doesn't have any elite qualities.. If he wants to be anything more than a depth WR/fringe roster player.. he has to make those plays - both in games and in practice.  

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Milano has missed time with injuries, and no they drafted Bernard to play potentially at MLB as well.  

Again, I think you missed the point of the rest of my previous response where the focal point is that it’s way too early right now to conclude any long term plans for him.  They are looking at guys who have some experience first and trying not force the rookie to learn 2 positions right now.  He very much was drafted as a potential MLB as well.

It’s tough to envision Bernard sticking around at MLB. Obviously he’s there now but that seems more because it’s slim pickings at the position. The depth there is probably why people are even entertaining the idea of Williams playing the position. We’re throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. I anticipate Williams having a Bernard-esque rookie year. Beyond that, I don’t see where he actually fits in.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We spent ANOTHER 3rd round pick on an undersized LB that isn't ready to play the middle....where we really need someone 

If we spent 2 3rds on a starter this year it wouldn't be a waste at all. I think people are suggesting you wait a little bit before taking extreme opinions. Might just be me though lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s terrible way too inconsistent a number 2 receiver for a Super Bowl contender 

OK. 

Barring Tee Higgins, DeVanta Parker, Jaylen Waddle, and maybe Tyler Lockett, who you want to trade him for, straight up?

Don't say OBJ or DeAndre Hopkins, we'll see about them. 

Someone who was more productive LAST YEAR in terms of receiving yards/game and had a better catch % than Davis.

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

disagree...ball hit him right in the hands in stride and he just never squeezed it.

it was a bad drop

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Are you at TC or did you see a replay of this somewhere?  Linky if the latter.  More news, please, if the former.

If it's as you described, that's very very tough and sounds like it should have been a catch.  I don't think "the tip of the ball touched the ground" should overturn unless it is clear that happened first, before he got his hands on it.  If it just touched the ground as he rolled, that should be a catch.

Just now, Beck Water said:

OK. 

Barring Tee Higgins, DeVanta Parker, Jaylen Waddle, and maybe Tyler Lockett, who you want to trade him for, straight up?

Don't say OBJ or DeAndre Hopkins, we'll see about them. 

Someone who was more productive LAST YEAR in terms of receiving yards/game and had a better catch % than Davis.

Brandon Aiyuk/Chris Godwin/Mike Williams for sure

there are others that are close

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.