Training Camp - 8/3 - 9:45am

The Wiz

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That pick was a waste for this season then 

It's great when a rookie can come in and contribute lots of reps, or even start.  It shouldn't be a shock when a rookie is not ready to see the field a great deal.  It happens a lot on every team.  I'm not at all disappointed with Dorian Williams, not yet at least.  While if would have been nice if he'd been able to step in at MLB, Beane said shortly after the draft that the Bills were planning on playing him as an OLB.  MLB is the position that has been in the news because everybody has been looking for Tremaine Edmund's replacement.  With Matt Milano as the undisputed starter at OLB Dorian with get reps as a backup only, and that's not going to garner many eyes looking at him.  He has a chance to learn the pro game and the Bills' defense.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some reps in the season in relief of Milano, but in the meantime, I think he'll get a lot of play on special teams.  With his speed and size, he might be deadly on punt coverage.  If Buffalo doesn't end up with a MLB they're happy with this season, I imagine Dorian Williams will have a chance to win the spot next year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Seems like they’ve already given up on him playing MLB. Tough to see him getting much playing time behind Milano. Makes you wonder if they even had a plan for him when he was drafted.

Right after he was picked Beane said he'd be playing outside this year. So the plan is and always has been to play him there. 

9 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Right after he was picked Beane said he'd be playing outside this year. So the plan is and always has been to play him there. 

They tried him at MLB in the spring.  Guess they didn’t like what they saw/heard.  Maybe next year.  

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He gets reps every day in training camp.  Every day.  First team reps and second team reps.   It's exactly the same as JV football in high school, varsity, college.  The best players get the first team reps, because the coach wants the first team to play together.  

Coaches essentially never play the second best guy to give him reps.  That would be like saying sit Davis and give Shorter the first team reps.   Coaches don't do that.  When Shorter shows he may be better than another guy, he'll start sharing reps with that guy.   That is exactly where Elam is.

You don't play because you have potential. You play when you do your job better than the guy ahead of you.  

you are arguing something completely different from what me a fisker where jawing about. you'd have to flow through the entire conversation to see what I saw which was no clarity in his comments

You selected a quote out of context... Yes he gets his reps, but I took Fiskers comment at face value when he said we needed to sit Elam till he learns. Which without any context added to that, meant he wanted Elam benched now in training camp. Which he says thats not what he meant and thats where the confusion lies and really could of been dealt with in a single post/reply but for some reason he kept insinuating that I should of read what he wrote and deduced his meaning... Which my reply was basically I've seen to many knee jerk posts making statements that have no basi9s in relaity but I'm supposed to take understand he meant something different

17 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Which brings me back to my original point. He isn’t going to get much time with Milano signed through 2026. At best he’s a depth piece that might play if there’s an injury. 

• Agree 1

Random observations today's practice

- Rain stopped right before practice turned out to be perfect weather once again

- Shorter once again doing JUGS early - this time practicing low throws by knees - then 30 yd over the shoulder.  Never seen someone do so many diff types of catches on a JUGS 

- Refs today

- McD no bucket hat today - not sure I've ever seen him w/o it at camp

- Before stretches, period of half-speed hurry-up (oxymoron) for 1st, 2nd 3rd team from 20

- During this drill coaches were on sidelines with headsets - first time have seen that this camp

- Dawkins, Josh and Diggs were laughing it up entire time 2nd and 3rd team was out there

- Barkley has been 'stout' for a while, but might want to start mixing in a salad or two with his turkey burgers

- Trainer with Josh again working on his arm beginning of stretch - think officially this is just part of his warm-up now

- Diggs and Davis doing the 'Everybody clap your hands' dance during warm-up - Diggs kept it going after Davis quit was having a great time

- Josh not much competition in QB races I've seen this camp

- D goes to other field, offense doing play walkthroughs, ST drills

- D has gone to the side field a LOT the days I've seen this week - maybe they are working on some new aggressive plays :)

- Diggs throwing ball again to far stands working kids into a frenzy

- Talley sighting on sidelines - dude looks GREAT - fit and trim.  Labors a bit walking tho

- Kid behind me after 23 mins "I'm bored!  I'm bored!"

- After family of bored kid leaves, two guys come to sit behind me to replace them.  It was like a Bills-specific SNL skit - for 10 mins these guys blather on literally wrong/stupid on everything they say "So Keenum is still the backup right"  "Yeah Barkley retired" "Who's number 9?"  "Oh that's Keenum" "Where's the new guy Kincaid - he's number 83 right?" "Where's Knox - I don't see Knox - number 87 right?"  "Singetary's gone - went to Cleveland"  "That Shakir guy has a shot at making the team" "'We got that Harris guy from NE' 'Yeah- and we got their RB too'" on and on....

- Once again during WR blocking drill - 2WR vs 2DB with RB behind - McD extremely intent on each rep.  I realized he might actually be more interested on the Dbacks getting off the blocks that the blocking and the RB making right read

- 11-11 O vs D run plays

- WRs running some routes near goal line against air.  One route is a juke then comback to GL pylon.  Diggs running it looks like no other - such precision and grace

- WR/DB 1-1s goal line

- Neal PBU against Shakir

- Elam flagged

- Harty slips

- Sherfield v Kyron Brown catch oob

- Tre vs Diggs Tre perfect coverage knocks ball down back of EZ

- Elam tight coverage Sherfield pbu

- 2-2, Johnson bros shut it down

- 2-2, Alex Austin burned

- 2-2, Tre/Elam vs Diggs/Davis - Elam pbu quick slant Diggs

- Shakir win beautiful contested catch vs Ingram goal line

- Austin good pbu vs Shorter

- Diggs burns Tre on the same comeback to pylon they were practicing earlier

- Ateman beats Ingram

- Shakir vs Taron inc - couldn't tell if Taron got a piece looked like it bounced off Shakir's helmet

- Sherfied beats Austin perfect pass from Josh to corner

- Shavers nice contested catch

- D back to side field - Offense play walk thru

- WR more routes against air - OL drills

- 11-11 from 25 

- Josh to Knox TD corner EZ perfect pass from Josh

- Josh dump to Cook - Floyd coming like a windman

- Floyd is fun to watch - so tall and athletic and plays with his hair on fire when I've noticed him

- Diggs goes in motion, Hyde has to match up and Diggs beats him easily for TD

- Knox end-around stuffed by Milano and friends

- 3 wide Josh fires to Diggs at pylon couldn't hold on

- Sack Floyd coming like a wild man

- 2nd team - K Allen scramble 5 yds, 35 can't hold onto short pass could have been thrown better, Murray up middle

- 3rd team - offside, Barkley nice throw, run up middle nothing,Jalen Wayne catch down to 2, run for TD

- 1st team - Cook gets outside for 5yds, AJ knocks down pass, Josh can't handle shotgun snap, Kincaid nice pass and catch in middle 10 yds, Beautiful TD throw to Davis back of EZ got behind Elam and Hyde

- RB Davis up mid for 5, Dane blanket Shakir pbu back of EZ, 

- 2nd team (Barkley) - Murray nice 10 yd run middle, Kincaid 10 yds, Jalen Wade 10 yds middle (sometimes they seemed to reset the spot), "Johnathon" Kingsly Johnathon knocks pass down, Patmon TD

- 1st team - Allen to Kincad slant too easy, Harty catch stopped at 1

- During this time Milano laid on the ground trainer looked to be working on his right leg - little after Milano was up trainer put a wrap high around his right leg - he was shaking his leg didn't actually notice if he went back in

- Off line and some extraneous people to side field, ST drills main 

- Poona looks small standing next to other Dline - Settle and even Basham

- 1st team 11-11 from own 25

- TE screen to Knox flag, Cook shifty run up middle for 5, beautiful sideline pass Davis 15, quick out kincaid, Josh scramble left Dane int - one Josh would want back for sure

- 1st team 11-11 from 40

- Long incompletion Davis Elam coverage, Elam int 

- Left before last few mins of practice

- In general offense seemed to have a little more room to breathe today - weren't just geting engulfed by D as much as they were previous 2 days - D might have dialed back some of their pressures/stunts or Oline better or combination.  The ints at end took a little shine off to me a better offensive showing than previous days

- FWIW Morris has caught everything I've seen thrown to him last three practices

- Was looking didn't see Mariucci or NFL network setup

- Turned out to be a good practice esp after the dreary weather start to the day

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 13

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Random observations today's practice

- Rain stopped right before practice turned out to be perfect weather once again

- Shorter once again doing JUGS early - this time practicing low throws by knees - then 30 yd over the shoulder.  Never seen someone do so many diff types of catches on a JUGS 

- Refs today

- McD no bucket hat today - not sure I've ever seen him w/o it at camp

- Before stretches, period of half-speed hurry-up (oxymoron) for 1st, 2nd 3rd team from 20

- During this drill coaches were on sidelines with headsets - first time have seen that this camp

- Dawkins, Josh and Diggs were lauhgin it up entire time 2nd and 3rd team was out there

- Barkley has been 'stout' for a while, but might want to start mixing in a salad or two with his turkey burgers

- Trainer with Josh again working on his arm beginning of stretch - think officially this is just part of his warm-up now

- Diggs and Davis doing the 'Everybody clap your hands' dance during warm-up - Diggs kept it going after Davis quit was having a great time

- Josh not much competition in QB races I've seen this camp

- D goes to other field, offense doing play walkthroughs, ST drills

- D has gone to the side field a LOT the days I've seen this week - maybe they are working on some new aggressive plays :)

- Diggs throwing ball again to far stands working kids into a frenzy

- Talley sighting on sidelines - dude looks GREAT - fit and trim.  Labors a bit walking tho

- Kid behind me after 23 mins "I'm bored!  I'm bored!"

- After family of bored kid leaves, two guys come to sit behind me to replace them.  It was like a Bills-specific SNL skit - for 10 mins these guys blather on literally wrong/stupid on everything they say "So Keenum is still the backup right"  "Yeah Barkley retired" "Who's number 9?"  "Oh that's Keenum" "Where's the new guy Kincaid - he's number 83 right?" "Where's Knox - I don't see Knox - number 87 right?"  "Singetary's gone - went to Cleveland"  "That Shakir guy has a shot at making the team" "'We got that Harris guy from NE' 'Yeah- and we got their RB too'" on and on....

- Once again during WR blocking drill - 2WR vs 2DB with RB behind - McD extremely intent on each rep.  I realized he might actually be more interested more on the Dbacks getting off the blocks that the blocking and the RB making right read

- 11-11 O vs D run plays

- WRs running some routes near goal line against air.  One route is a juke then comback to GL pylon.  Diggs running it looks like no other - such precision and grace

- WR/DB 1-1s goal line

- Neal PBU against Shakir

- Elam flagged

- Harty slips

- Sherfield v Kyron Brown catch oob

- Tre vs Diggs Tre perfect coverage knocks ball down back of EZ

- Elam tight coverage Sherfield pbu

- 2-2, Johson bros shut it down

- 2-2, Alex Austin burned

- 2-2, Tre/Elam vs Diggs/Davis - Elam pbu quick slant Diggs

- Shakir win beautiful contested catch vs Ingram goal line

- Austin good pbu vs Shorter

- Diggs burns Tre on the same comeback to pylon they were practicing earlier

- Ateman beats Ingram

- Shakir vs Taron inc - couldn't tell if Taron got a piece looked like it bounced off Shakir's helmet

- Sherfied beats Austin perfect pass from Josh to corner

- Shavers nice contested catch

- D back to side field - Offense play walk thru

- WR more routes against air - OL drills

- 11-11 from 25 

- Josh to Knox TD corner EZ perfect pass from Josh

- Josh dump to Cook - Floyd coming like a windman

- Floyd is fun to watch - so tall and athletic and plays with his hair on fire when I've noticed him

- Diggs goes in motion, Hyde hs to match up and Diggs beats him easily for TD

- Knox end-around stuffed by Milano and friends

- 3 wide Josh fires to Diggs at pylon couldn't hold on

- Sack Floyd coming like a wild man

- 2nd team - K Allen scramble 5 yds, 35 can't hold onto short pass could have been thrown better, Murray up middle

- 3rd team - offside, Barkley nice throw, run up middle nothing,Jalen Wayne catch down to 2, run for TD

- 1st team - Cook gets outside for 5yds, AJ knocks down pass, Josh can't handle shotgun snap, Kincaid nice pass and catch in middle 10 yds, Beautiful TD throw to Davis back of EZ got behind Elam and Hyde

- RB Davis up mid for 5, Dane blanket Shakir pbu back of EZ, 

- 2nd team (Barkley) - Murray nice 10 yd run middle, Kincaid 10 yds, Jalen Wade 10 yds middle (sometimes they seemed to reset the spot), Johnathon Kingsly Johnathon knocks pass down, Patmon TD

- 1st team - Allen to Kincad slant too easy, Harty catch stopped at 1

- During this time Milano laid on the ground trainer looked to be working on his right leg - little after after Milano was up trainer put a wrap high around his right leg 

- Off line and some extraneous people to side field, ST drills main 

- Poona looks small standing next to other Dline - Settle and even Basham

- 1st team 11-11 from own 25

- TE screen to Knox flag, Cook shifty run up middle for 5, beautiful sideline pass Davis 15, quick out kincaid, Josh scramble left Dane int - one Josh would want back for sure

- 1st team 11-11 from 40

- Long incompletion Davis Elam coverage, Elam int 

- Left before last few mins of practice

- In general offense seemed to have a little more room to breathe today - weren't just geting engulfed by D as much as they were previous 2 days - D might have dialed back some of their pressures/stunts or Oline better or combination

- FWIW Morris has caught everything I've seen thrown to him last three practices

- Was looking didn't see Mariucci or NFL network setup

- Turned out to be a good practice esp after the dreary weather start to the day

ty for these

• Agree 1

Intriguing to see how the LB position plays out in the preseason games. I wonder if Beane will try to pick up a vet during roster cuts? Pure speculation but could the Bills look to trade a future draft pick or a DE or CB to address the LB position if needed. Outside of Milano our LB experience and skills are lacking. We better hope Milano stays healthy all year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Which brings me back to my original point. He isn’t going to get much time with Milano signed through 2026. At best he’s a depth piece that might play if there’s an injury. 

Of course, that's providing there isn't a shift on defensive philosophy this or next year as well.  Taron Johnson is (I believe) a FA next year. I could see a scenario where the Bills aren't able to resign him and he walks. 

If that happens do they stay a 4-2 team? Chances are McDermott will either continue to call defense next year, but if they do bring someone in...what will they want to run? We already have reason to believe the defense mindset and play style will adapt without Edmunds in there. What does life look like without Johnson in there due to moving on...or even injury this year? 

It's always nice to have pieces in place before you need them.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.