Do you golf?

EmotionallyUnstable

3 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s interesting. Golf has rules?  

😋

I honestly don’t know them well. Someone with me is almost always a friggin’ expert, but I’ve never been charged with anything. So far. 

As far as you know.

play for money.  $5 a nine changes everything.  2 years away from the gold tee's depending on whether they're on my team then I get to play them.  Everything is a negotiation.

Edited by redtail hawk

7 hours ago, Steve O said:

This is the best way to get better, go back 60 years and take it up at a younger age.

As for me, used to play softball 4-5 days a week and golf once or twice. When I hit 60 the softball had to go, golf 4-5 days a week now. With the exception of tournaments, I always walk. Belong to a private club that gets privileges at a public course( preferred tee times, tournaments, etc.) Also belong to a private club. Kind of an enigma, both a trunk slammin' muni-player and a country club snob.

I played hyde park in NF growing up.  loved it but once got into a money game with a bunch of Mafiosa's.  Was losing badly at the turn and had no money.  The guy on my team bought me lunch at the turn and told me not to sweat it.  He had my back.  I think it was like $20 he covered but priceless.

• Like (+1) 1

I've only been out once this year. I'm a slacker. 

My wife is playing a charity tournament at Transit Valley on Monday. Color me jealous. 

I can see the 14th green of Bob O Link from my front yard. And Harvest Hill is just a short drive down Transit. I have no excuses, yet here I sit...

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I hold myself to one rule: You can suck, but you cannot be slow. 

I buy used golf balls on line. I think there were 80 Bridgestones in the last order. If the ball isn’t easily found and played, I drop and move on. 

Speaking of which - the most fruse26?trating thing in golf: the ball you know you hit down the middle of the fairway, but it can’t be found. Am I the only one this has happened to?  GRRR! 

i buy bridgestones when i'm serious.  E11's?  don't know exactly.  been buying from the kids who find them. They're excellent balls at a great price point.

edit: last dozen i bought:  https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/balls/e-series0/e12-contact

Edited by redtail hawk

10 hours ago, Steve O said:

This is the best way to get better, go back 60 years and take it up at a younger age.

As for me, used to play softball 4-5 days a week and golf once or twice. When I hit 60 the softball had to go, golf 4-5 days a week now. With the exception of tournaments, I always walk. Belong to a private club that gets privileges at a public course( preferred tee times, tournaments, etc.) Also belong to a private club. Kind of an enigma, both a trunk slammin' muni-player and a country club snob.

I can't go back 60 years 😂😂I'd be -23

I buy Kirkland balls from Costco

Price is right and they're so similar to the ProV1s Titleist took them to court 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I buy Kirkland balls from Costco

Price is right and they're so similar to the ProV1s Titleist took them to court 

Problem is, whenever you're putting on the green, a Costco representative runs up and wants to see your receipt before your holing out. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

For the Buffalo area golfers in here what are your favorite courses to play?

As broke college students, my buddies and I used to sneak on to Grover Cleveland.  The last time I played there I got injured.  Broke my leg falling off the ball washer.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Irv said:

As broke college students, my buddies and I used to sneak on to Grover Cleveland.  The last time I played there I got injured.  Broke my leg falling off the ball washer.  

I've played Grover Cleveland once, always wanted to play it because of the history...don't see myself ever going back there though haha!  Was in pretty rough shape

For what it is, I do like Delaware Park as a nice practice course though 

21 hours ago, Augie said:

How did they decide on 18 holes? I find that when I finish 9 holes I still have some interest, but generally by the 12th hole or so I’m just looking for the beer cart lady. 🍺 I think 12 is a good number! 

While legend has it that there are 18 shots in a bottle of whiskey, there is no truth to that.

Originally, St. Andrews was 12 holes, 10 were usually played twice so a normal round was 22 holes. This was based on the lay of the landscape. In 1764 St Andrews combined the first 4 into 2 holes so there were now 10 holes, 8 of which were usually played twice. Other early 18th and 19th century courses were also built according to the landscape and were anywhere from 5 to 12 holes. As golf gained in popularity throughout the 19th century some uniformity was needed. St. Andrews began building double greens until it eventually became 18 separate holes rather than playing some holes twice. 1842 was the first time 18 holes was mentioned as the official round by the R&A. Gradually other courses followed suit, by the 1930's virtually all courses were some version of 18 holes, though it wasn't until 1950 when all governing bodies made 18 the official round. Short answer is everyone followed St. Andrews lead.

Apologies if this was a rhetorical question.

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 1

I like to take a bucket of balls to the beach and hit them into the ocean.

On an unrelated note, I've been seeing a lot of beached whales lately. Maybe I should bring my friend, the marine biologist.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

https://www.niagaraparks.com/visit-niagara-parks/golf/book-tee-times/

This was always a treat to play in the area.  just over the bridge, tricky, beautiful and fair green fees.  haven't played it in many years tho.

That looks very nice. And maybe it’s not too blazing hot there? We lived in a country club community in Florida that was all about golf. The roads were named for Gary Player (original designer of one of the two courses), Albert Tillinghast, Donald Ross, Dick Wilson (our street), etc. We were just tennis/social members but during the summer they offered us golf for cart fees only, like $15. SUPER affordable for two high level courses that had been redesigned by some of the big names (but I forget which ones). I was an idiot and rarely took advantage of it.

The people who could afford to be somewhere cooler were gone, and the people still in town didn’t want to endure the heat. They just wanted people out there buying beer and balls, lunch, etc. It was a helluva deal for what you got. It was a far cry from the slightly improved pasture I remember as Audubon Golf on Maple Rd. I just looked it up and apparently it’s all par 3 now, but I don’t remember it that way. Either it has changed, or my mind has failed me…..again. 

4 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Im waiting for Paige Spirinac to call and play around with her.   Till then the sticks stay in the basement.  😁

Well sure...

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

That looks very nice. And maybe it’s not too blazing hot there? We lived in a country club community in Florida that was all about golf. The roads were named for Gary Player (original designer of one of the two courses), Albert Tillinghast, Donald Ross, Dick Wilson (our street), etc. We were just tennis/social members but during the summer they offered us golf for cart fees only, like $15. SUPER affordable for two high level courses that had been redesigned by some of the big names (but I forget which ones). I was an idiot and rarely took advantage of it.

The people who could afford to be somewhere cooler were gone, and the people still in town didn’t want to endure the heat. They just wanted people out there buying beer and balls, lunch, etc. It was a helluva deal for what you got. It was a far cry from the slightly improved pasture I remember as Audubon Golf on Maple Rd. I just looked it up and apparently it’s all par 3 now, but I don’t remember it that way. Either it has changed, or my mind has failed me…..again. 

Niagara parks does an amazing job.  They also have a great little par 3 in NF.  It's in the lawn of an old mansion I think.  Played in Fla in the summer on an afternoon.  walked 9.  Don't know what I was thinking.  Felt horrible and they had no water on the course.  A worker gave me some of his.  When I complained in the clubhouse they told me i should have bought water before going out.  Not looking to play in Fla again.

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I like to take a bucket of balls to the beach and hit them into the ocean.

On an unrelated note, I've been seeing a lot of beached whales lately. Maybe I should bring my friend, the marine biologist.

Art Vandelay?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

A man with many and varied specialities. Remarkable, really. Right up there with Michelangelo and Doogie Howser in my book.  

Agree.  But he's no Lloyd Braun.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Im right down the road from Rothlands in Akron so I generally play there. Decent play, on the cheaper side. 27 holes makes for different combos of 18

I've played Rothland a couple times, I like Arrowhead across the street better though but I know it's a bit more expensive 

I’ve played hundreds of courses all over and Sheridan park is one of my favorite. You never see a muni with a design like that. The first hole slaps you in the face and Holes like 12, 14, others are zany but great. It hosted the Usga public links once, well deserved. What a golf course.  Kings Forest in Hamilton favorite out of 20+ Ontario courses played. 

I suck but have some friends that are pretty to very good. I wish I played more but always too busy. Do like it a lot when I get to, and probably would like to get more serious about it as I get older.

We plan on joining a country club that is less than a mile from our house within a couple years and I will probably play a lot more at that point. I’ll never be great but with more regular play I know I could shave 10 stokes easily (I’m a mid 90s on a good day type player). I’ve gotten pretty good off the tee which makes it all so much more fun even if I don’t score. I feel like I’m at least playing what golf is supposed to be when I’m putting for par regularly. 

I’ve played a few great courses but my career highlight is an ace on #1 at “The Cradle” (Pinehurst) in front of a large audience. Didn’t just ace it either, completely drained it from 102. This after an intensive round of substance abuse the day & night before as well as morning of. We played #2 in the morning (partying the whole way while it kicked my ass) then took a couple hour beer / lunch break, and then played the cradle. For whatever reason it was the perfect combo because after the ace and celebration i stepped up to the second hole and stuck one a few inches away. It looked like it had a chance the whole way. -3 after 2 holes was uncharted territory. Ended up finishing even which was a miracle considering my state. Even though it’s just a par 3 course, I’ll always be pretty proud of the entire sequence 😂

• Like (+1) 1

I love golf.  It’s a pursuit that can never be perfected and provides endless challenges, but is also extremely rewarding.

I did not grow up playing golf and have only taken a sporadic handful of lessons.  We joined a country club five years ago primarily so I could spend more time playing.  I have a great group of friends I play with regularly.  I play 9 holes in a Tuesday night league, and my regular outing is 18 on Sunday mornings.  When the weather is good I walk.  My wife plays a bit and we enter couples tournaments at the club.

I have a decent amount of natural athletic ability and have managed to keep a 15 handicap despite rarely practicing.  I hit the ball a long way but lack consistency.  I recently decided I will devote some legitimate time to practice in an effort to get my handicap to 10.  My best round is a 79, but my “usual” round these days is anywhere from 85 to 94.

Edit:  I love @billsfanmiamioh’s story about the Cradle.  That is such a fun course.  I was just down there a week ago when we took our Sunday group on a “road trip” to play Pinehurst #1, have lunch, and then finish with the Cradle.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/17/2023 at 11:24 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Miniature or full 18?

walk or ride?

Frequency?

Handicap?

Favorite course(s)

Usually 9 but 18 as much as possible

Walk

3 times a week

12 from senior tees

When living in WNY grew up playing Brighton and Sheridan.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Any advice on new clubs?

I'm still using a set from the 90's.

Yes...definitely get some new ones.  Technology is so far advanced from clubs in the 90s.  You should notice some improvement from just getting new clubs alone 

Go to your local golf shop and get fitted for them

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed.

I love my Taylor made irons. I have Taylor Made M4s, plus the M4 driver. Love them all. Used to have a Ping G-20 driver, which was also great. Got it used and was probably my favorite driver. 

I left my bag behind my car and my wife decided to take it one day.  Everything was fine x the Ping's graphite shaft broke 1st hole next round.  Head went flying further than the ball.  Oh well, they have screw in  shafts.  But they're $100!!!  Never do that again.  I have older Taylor mades that I bought used but they're with me until they start breaking or I lose more of them.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I left my bag behind my car and my wife decided to take it one day.  Everything was fine x the Ping's graphite shaft broke 1st hole next round.  Head went flying further than the ball.  Oh well, they have screw in  shafts.  But they're $100!!!  Never do that again.  I have older Taylor mades that I bought used but they're with me until they start breaking or I lose more of them.

Many years ago I was golfing with a guy from work. On the first hole, a short but tricky par four, he pulls out a 3 iron. He is decidedly NOT athletic in ANY way. He tees it up, hits it fat enough that I think the divot knocked the ball off the tee.  Snaps the head off and on it flies into the lagoon we have to cross. Wow! 

So he pulls out another 3 iron. Who carries two 3 irons??? He swings and……the grip unravels and turns to dust and the rest of the club does that helicopter thing into the same lagoon. Well, I’ve never seen anything like THAT! I haven’t even hit a ball yet! 

So now Keith turns to me and asks “can I borrow your 3 iron?”   😂 

• Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.