Why is Tyrod Taylor not more revered in the Bills fan base?

19 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

Because Tyrod Taylor wasn’t here very long with the Buffalo Bills. Let’s not act like Tyrod Taylor was like Joe Ferguson who was here for over a decade and is all but forgotten about by a lot of today’s Buffalo Bills fans over shadowed by Jim Kelly era. Which I understand why that is but just saying Tyrod Taylor forget about him. I don’t understand why Joe Ferguson is basically ignored by this Buffalo Bills fans and the Bills franchise today. Is it really that hard to just retire Joe Ferguson number 12 it’s not like the Buffalo Bills are using the number anyway because it’s retired for Jim Kelly. Same Tom Barrasso’s number 30 not like the Buffalo Sabres are using it anyway Ryan Miller.

The Buffalo Sabres Rene Robert is more revered than Buffalo Bills Joe Ferguson. I was a fan of both but Rene Robert has his number retired really didn’t do all that much more than Joe Ferguson in professional sports in Buffalo. I think Joe Ferguson was overshadowed by the Electric Company with OJ. Then in the early 1980’s Joe Ferguson was in his prime that main problem was Ralph Wilson’s cheap ness not paying coaches and players to stay together. Joe Ferguson was always getting use to new coaches and players because Ralph Wilson didn’t want to pay to keep the team together until the 1990’s. When Ralph Wilson was older and I think realized I can’t take the money with me so Ralph Wilson had a change of heart and started spending more money on retaining his talent. But we wasted those early 1980’s teams. If Chuck Knox was kept there is no way the Bills are 2-14 in 1984 and 1985 in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I loved those teams … butler, Lewis, cribbs … on defense Ben Williams, Sherman white, Jeff Nixon and bill simpson.  Their playoff loss to the chargers was my first of many bills heartbreaks 

12 hours ago, Gregg said:

Tyrod was meh. He had his moments, but he was just another average "at best" Bills QB. In the Bills history there are only 4 QB's worth mentioning. In order of their time in Buffalo. It's Kemp, Ferguson, Kelly, and Allen. That's it. Lamonica could have been on the list, but he made his mark as a Raider. Bledsoe was at the end of his career when he came here, and Flutie was only a Bill for about 5 minutes.

You forgot Bruce mathison and Joe dufek 😂

On 6/29/2023 at 5:28 PM, Mynamemike said:

I don’t ever see much hate for Tyrod.  Good dude, decent qb who didn’t take risks but wouldn’t lose you games with boneheaded plays.  He had the physical tools to be great imo but seemed hesitant to take risks to win games.  Just my two cents.  One of the better qbs we had during the drought

It's not hate but he's definitely under appreciated.   He was qb when we broke the drought.   Maybe he shouldn't be revered but just given some props, despite flaws.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Why must he be compared to Joe Ferguson ?

fine. Compare him to his peer QBs then….all done?  He’s still not good bro. He was never good.

Jesus this is an odd take to die on. You’re wrong in your analysis of TT and you’re way wrong questioning why he doesn’t get more accolades. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

It's not hate but he's definitely under appreciated.   He was qb when we broke the drought.   Maybe he shouldn't be revered but just given some props, despite flaws.

Despite having my top WR traded for peanuts after training with him through the off season.

Hate it when that happens...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:14 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I never ever understood the hate for Tyrod Taylor. He was a dynamic athlete that defenses had to properly game plan against and played a big role in breaking the 17 year drought. I think he is one of the better dual threats of all time and it’s cool seeing the contrast between TT and Allen as runners. Why is he not a bigger part of Bills’ lore? He got done what a **** load of previous QBs couldn’t. It’s not like Losman, Bledsoe, or Fitz didn’t have good defenses too. So I really don’t wanna hear how the defense alone propelled us there. It was also Tyrod’s legs and low turnover rate + big play ability as well. 

giphy.gif

For what?

Basically if he didn't have an early lead the team lost because he wasn't bringing them back.

Had some high scoring offenses but mostly did damage against bad teams. Looked inept far too often for a starting QB. I mean 50 yards passing in the 4th quarter with him was a thing against good teams.

If the Bills got down more than 10 points, the game was essentially over.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

He was 22 and 20 as a Bills starter.  

43-37-1 overall. A winning record is a winning record. I think TT was coached to play super conservative so they could ride Shady & the D and eek their way into the playoffs.  I don’t think he was necessarily gun shy. 

On 6/29/2023 at 4:14 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I never ever understood the hate for Tyrod Taylor. He was a dynamic athlete that defenses had to properly game plan against and played a big role in breaking the 17 year drought. I think he is one of the better dual threats of all time and it’s cool seeing the contrast between TT and Allen as runners. Why is he not a bigger part of Bills’ lore? He got done what a **** load of previous QBs couldn’t. It’s not like Losman, Bledsoe, or Fitz didn’t have good defenses too. So I really don’t wanna hear how the defense alone propelled us there. It was also Tyrod’s legs and low turnover rate + big play ability as well. 

Without reading every post in this long thread, I’ll sum it up for you:

He was a RB trying to play QB. This is a passing league.

11 minutes ago, McBean said:

Without reading every post in this long thread, I’ll sum it up for you:

He was a RB trying to play QB. This is a passing league.

I Disagree, when he got outside the pocket he was on the money, he had the arm.

But as I'm typing this out I remember he was atrocious in the picket from every aspect, so yeah probably more of a RB with an arm? Lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

43-37-1 overall. A winning record is a winning record. I think TT was coached to play super conservative so they could ride Shady & the D and eek their way into the playoffs.  I don’t think he was necessarily gun shy. 

I have hours and hours of time invested watching him that refutes this point completely. 

Run, run, pass. Run, run, pass. One third of his drives were clearly passing plays with 5 to 8 yards needed. Dude wouldn’t let it go until the last second and that was to a guy no one was covering because he wasn’t beyond the first down marker. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.