McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

I laughed when I heard the news for all the people telling me Terry has McDermott on a short leash since the season ended.  The guy grew up a Steelers fan.  He sees first hand the way patience and stability in an organization eventually produces results.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I guess I have a bit of a problem with the "not good enough" part.  The Bills are now a perennial contender -- isn't that all anyone can realistically hope for in this league?

If you are going to say that only a Super Bowl victory defines success, I guess that's one perspective...I just don't look at it that way.

I would disagree. If you have an elite QB and can't win a SB, to me that is not a successful outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

Our standard as fans back in the '90s was a lot different.  

The drought era took its toll on the fans here.  Now a good regular season record and simply "making the playoffs" is good enough.  

I remember being massively dejected with every Super Bowl loss except for the Skins one, which I kind of expected.  Lead foot Rypien had the best or one of the best OLs in NFL history.  

I’m glad you don’t let bad memories from 30 years ago cloud your judgement.  I experienced all that too but our perception of Levy greatly changes if Norwood makes that kick.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it shows the seat is a LOT cooler than a lot of fans want it to be and the media have speculated it is. 

I see almost no way this regime doesn't remain into 2024 at the very least. And the likelihood is the rope is a fair bit longer. Part of the reason why is surely that Terry knows he isn't great at these appointments. For all that McD and Beane ain't perfect and there are legit holes you can pick in both, they are overwhelmingly the two best hires that Pegs has made across multiple attempts for two franchises. 

Terry also struck gold with Kevyn Adams and Don Granato with the Sabres. Of course the lacrosse Bandits are champions again.

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'd rather have a coach that's proven he can at least be above average w/o a franchise QB.  Belichick doesn't even have a winning record.  

He's 77-87 w/o Brady, two playoff appearances, got killed in both losses, and therefore has one playoff win, over the Bledsoe-led Pats, in the WC Round while he was at Cleveland.  

Like McD, he's lucky he lucked into Brady.  He can thank Mo Lewis for that.  He was stuck on Bledsoe like McD was stuck on Peterman.  

He did get the Pats into the playoffs with Jones. Of course, the Bills kicked their ass. With Belichick they don't lose that 16-0 lead at Houston. 13 seconds wouldn't happen. Last year against the Bengals would have probably been a better game. Bill is not only a better HC then Sean, but he is also a better DC. He would have made in game adjustments that would have slowed the Bengals down. He actually did that last year in the Bengals-Pats game. The Bengals jumped out to a huge lead, but the Pats fought their way back and almost won it in the end. If I remember correctly, they fumbled inside the Bengals 5. The Pats aren't nearly as good as the Bills.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I’m glad you don’t let bad memories from 30 years ago cloud your judgement.  I experienced all that too but our perception of Levy greatly changes if Norwood makes that kick.

True, but also entirely not the point.  

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Our standard as fans back in the '90s was a lot different.  

The drought era took its toll on the fans here.  Now a good regular season record and simply "making the playoffs" is good enough.  

I remember being massively dejected with every Super Bowl loss except for the Skins one, which I kind of expected.  Lead foot Rypien had the best or one of the best OLs in NFL history.  

I've been around since the AFL days. Drought actually makes me enjoy this team more. Those Super Bowl losses were tough but I still got to watch a great team. I like football for the game . I would rather have consistent winner year to year than just one year run to the championship. Point is is the championship all we want. Of course we want a ring  but all is not lost if we don't get it either.

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

I don't think unpopular, it's ignorant and not even the size of an atom as far as possibilities.  

Cole Beasley is white and stirred the pot.  Unless you don't think Beasley is white because he raps.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Players sign with the Bills become they think they will win a ring. Anyone remember what free agency was like doing the playoff drought? I do.

You mean when we thought a backup TE from Washington (Robert Royal) was going to be a difference maker here? Or that getting an injured Shawne Merriman was a solution to finding a pass rusher?

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He did get the Pats into the playoffs with Jones. Of course, the Bills kicked their ass. With Belichick they don't lose that 16-0 lead at Houston. 13 seconds wouldn't happen. Last year against the Bengals would have probably been a better game. Bill is not only a better HC then Sean, but he is also a better DC. He would have made in game adjustments that would have slowed the Bengals down. He actually did that last year in the Bengals-Pats game. The Bengals jumped out to a huge lead, but the Pats fought their way back and almost won it in the end. If I remember correctly, they fumbled inside the Bengals 5. The Pats aren't nearly as good as the Bills.

Like McD in 2017 & 2019, Belichick got in on an easy schedule with 8 of his wins coming from non-playoff teams and 7 of them coming from mostly the worst teams all with losing records.  As with any coach, I'm not going to hand out particularly credit for capitalizing on an easy schedule, the "you can only play who's on the schedule" rap aside.  That's true, but it does not alter things one iota.  He got obliterated in those playoffs too, which says more than beating 8 easy teams en route to 10 wins.  

Anyway, no interest in debating McD v. BB, or even BB otherwise.  The fact stands, that in 10 other seasons without Brady, Belichick's track record as a head coach wouldn't have gotten him anything else other than another DC job.  Meanwhile, Brady went on to win another SB with a relatively average on a good day head coach, while leading the Bucs to a 32-18 record otherwise, something that that franchise has never achieved in its entire existence.  

8 minutes ago, Radar said:

I've been around since the AFL days. Drought actually makes me enjoy this team more. Those Super Bowl losses were tough but I still got to watch a great team. I like football for the game . I would rather have consistent winner year to year than just one year run to the championship. Point is is the championship all we want. Of course we want a ring  but all is not lost if we don't get it either.

Again, not really the point.  

The question remains, is the talent on this team being optimized?  

it'd be a great poll question.  Go ahead and pose it.  

32 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's not. It's also met so many times with "well do you want to go back to the drought years???" As if these are the only two options. 

With a decline in playoff success the last two years while the coach on his side of the ball has been given an elite level of resources and has failed us tremendously every single year in the playoffs. 

I understand what you're saying but I do think it's more complicated than that. There is an expectation of going all the way when you have an elite QB. 

Do you think the Pegulas and the rest of the organization don’t have that expectation as well? Should they just fire a coach with the third best record over the last five years and expect the new coach to immediately win it all? An initial regression is more likely. You and others think McBeane can’t get us there and that’s understandable, but Pegula choosing to reward them for establishing a winning tradition after years of misery is also every bit as understandable.  

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Players sign with the Bills become they think they will win a ring. Anyone remember what free agency was like doing the playoff drought? I do.

Yeah we remember that you were always telling us how good we all had it during the drought and that we should be ashamed of expecting any actual success.

True story.

The drought was your baby now you are calling it ugly.  For shame! :beer:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, eball said:

I guess I have a bit of a problem with the "not good enough" part.  The Bills are now a perennial contender -- isn't that all anyone can realistically hope for in this league?

If you are going to say that only a Super Bowl victory defines success, I guess that's one perspective...I just don't look at it that way.

I think forward progress is all I’m looking for. 

As Allen has gotten more experienced, and gotten more/better weapons at his disposal, my expectation was - at the very least - additional AFCCG appearances. 

The Bills have been going in the other direction. 

Speaking only for myself, this is what concerns me. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Excuse me? Leave your f***ing racist remarks somewhere else you giant sack of horse manure.

I was born in Buffalo and lived here most of my 45+ years. My father is from Turkey. And yes, he did it the right way, with a green card and is now a naturalized citizen if you need to know before you start trying to hunt him down for being an illegal and call ICE, I thought I'd save you the trouble.

Lol.lil sensitive aren't ya? Well how are you such a football dunce unless just learning? All walks of life outside the states have the same knowledge.. isn't about race

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Terry also struck gold with Kevyn Adams and Don Granato with the Sabres. Of course the lacrosse Bandits are champions again.

I know nothing about hockey, but I would say before you can declare him having struck gold they at least need to make the playoffs. I get it the Sabres looked like they were heading in the right direction, but before you can even begin to put those two in the conversation with McD and Beane they need some success beyond just stop the team being a perennial laughing stock. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.