Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

22 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Oh I know - McDermott handled it badly and I am not waving that away.

20 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

McDermott shouldn’t have made it public

I think his answer was an intentional choice. Why did he handle it badly? A reporter asked him how concerning it was that Diggs wasn't there and he answered truthfully. Of course it is a big concern. If McDermott hadn't said anything it would still be a big story.

The bigger issue is that this represents a trend. It isn't like Milano not showing up out of the blue. The last time we saw Diggs he made a spectacle on the sideline of a game, he left the facility without even saying goodbye to teammates, and then he did a whole media circuit where he made not so subtle jabs at the direction of the team. Then he skipped OTAs, and yes he was well within his rights to do so, but he has made no attempt to calm some of the unease around his recent actions at any point this offseason. On the contrary, he has inflamed the unease.

We've crossed a line here. I thought everyone would agree that mandatory minicamp was the final straw in this whole saga. I'm surprised some fans are still trying to pretend it isn't a concern. "I don't care until September" I mean come on. The offseason is still part of the journey. What happens now matters.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

IMO Something is up with Diggs' and Allen's relationship. No inside information, but a plausible conclusion based upon facts as I see them. FACTS: Today at his Presser Josh said about Diggs' absence, "I know internally, we are working on some things, not football related." FACTS: as early as week 11 verses the browns in Detroit, Diggs was displaying dissatisfaction with the offense. FACTS: early in the Cinci playoff game, Allen missed Diggs on a pass, the first miss to Diggs of the day, and Diggs was already throwing his hands in the air. FACTS: At the end of the Cinci game, Diggs blew up at Josh on the sideline. FACTS: Diggs was asked if he was upset by multiple media personal during Superbowl week. One answer he repeated in different ways, "I want the people around me to work as hard as I do." FACTS: Diggs mentioned that around week 9, the offense changed and became less effective. FACTS: Josh has said multiple times that he has refocused this off season and is more committed to winning than ever before. FACTS: Conspicuously, McDermott has said the same thing: "Josh is more focussed than ever." FACTS: In the press conference today, Josh indicated that the issue Diggs has goes beyond football and is partly personal. FACTS: Josh and his long-time girlfriend broke up after the season. FACTS: Money, the most common cause of Wide receiver diva behavior, doesn't appear to be an issue, because of how much he is being paid and the ironclad nature of the contract. SPECULATION: Josh dealt with personal drama during the 2022 season, that began around Week 9, and continued to season's end, somehow led Diggs to believe Josh was distracted. Josh has bridges to mend. Will we ever know for sure? NO. But, bros before... girlfriends.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'd add, Coach lies/downplays responses to media questions ALOT.  This was a calculated comment, time will tell if it backfires or helps.

McDermott is straight up not smart enough to be playing this type of Machiavellian politics.

He'll get burned in the end.  He already looks bad today, IMO.

• Disagree 1

Just now, SirAndrew said:

Lots of speculation here, but hasn’t Josh himself said that he and Diggs are working out some “not football related stuff”? I used the search function but couldn’t find it mentioned here. 

Not non football.  Stuff related to football.

The wording was weird but it kind of sounds like coaching decisions is what he meant.

30 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Based on the interviews from Josh, Sean and Von. This makes the most sense. Itll explain the reasoning when Josh Allen says its not all about football and teamwork/communcation should be better. Itll explain why Sean is a little peeved as he doesnt want player putting their input into his coaching staff. I think Stefon Diggs just wants some input in the team direction and especially when it effects him personally. The WR coach was also involved in the meeting.

I dont think it has anything to do with Dorsey... but feel maybe we ignored Diggs request of a WR coach or maybe wasnt even asked at all.

Your franchise QB knows everything going on in the organization. Your WR1 gets consulted on something’s but not everything. 

While I understand Diggs frustration, he’s also been consulted on which WR enter the WR room, like OBJ and Nuke. Not being treated like a franchise QB is something he is going to have to get used to. 

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Not non football.  Stuff related to football.

The wording was weird but it kind of sounds like coaching decisions is what he meant.

Is that what Josh in audio/video of pressers said or what articles say? Every article I read quotes Josh as saying “not football related”. I know people do get misquoted. That’s why I ask. 

16 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Ill say the physical and mental preparation of attending mini camp is near completely meaningless for diggs 

I generally agree with your point but I don't necessarily agree that reps are near meaningless right now. Every rep matters. Mahomes is at camp throwing the ball to Kelce right now so that by the time they get to training camp all the rust will already be shaken off. As far as I can tell Allen hasn't thrown a single ball to Diggs since the division loss. Our rivals are getting a head start. The preparation never really stops.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The Texans went through this with Watson with respect to perception... you can't ignore a coaching consult with Diggs and take a coaching consult with Allen... players will see that as racial and that's pretty serious. That sort of perceived double standard can rip a team apart, so let's just see what develops.

Hold on stop.  One guy is in and around the team all offseason.  The other showed up for the first time 24 hours ago.  If he is wanting more input you have to be available.  I dont think its a chicken or the egg thing.  I really hope this is not the case.  It looks stupid to want to be able to do your own thing to prepare for the season but be involved in managerial decisions while your away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, teef said:

This is the hill you’re trying to die on?  That fans are just ok with the playoffs and not a Super Bowl?  It’s absurd.  

As one poster just responded:

I know I am. I lived through most of this team's history. I'd rather be in the tournament every year than not be. For 90% of the Bills existence, we complained about not earning a wild card berth. And here we are agonizing over no Super Bowl.

My take isn't absurd.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Is that what Josh in audio/video of pressers said or what articles say? Every article I read quotes Josh as saying “not football related”. I know people do get misquoted. That’s why I ask. 

Here is the full comment.  Both parts together is why it's strange.  Makes it sound like it's not about them but someone else.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It's not panic time, but the events of today are DEFINITELY concerning, wouldn't you agree?

Agree, its definitely not panic time.  Fans are obviously doing that, this thread is evidence of that (not all fans, but alot).

Absolutely concerning.  Which is why I appreciate Coach's response.  We are a group of a well educated fans, mostly, and I'd be more upset if Coach downplayed what is happening.  That has been what I was responding to.

That said, I mentioned earlier that I'm confident this gets worked out before camp.  It's coming to a head today, it will get better more these discussions occur.  Too many smart leaders, players and staff/coaches. to let something "non football related" (Josh's words), get in the way of a potential SB run...I'd honestly be more concerned if this was $$$/contract related.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

continuing this line of inquiry, and incorporating today's stuff [i havent thought this to conclusion yet.  but it seems fertile ground]:

Does Diggs think / believe / know that JA has a substance problem and isnt getting the treatment that JA promised Diggs he would get?

Why is Diggs not out with tweets or medie leaks that he also LOVES JA?

Doesnt JA sound apologetic, a bit?  Doeth he protest too much?

Doesnt JA sound like Favre used to (when he was addicted to painkillers) a bit?  Big, Broad, He-Man statements with zero substance.

Is that why Diggs showed up, saw all he needed to see, and broke out?

Does this explain why Diggs has not asked for more money and has not asked to be traded?  Diggs wants to WIN.  this place is perfect.  As long as QB1 is all in.

Is this why McD sounded defensive and/or angry.  That he doesnt want stuff about JA to get out there?  Or that McD is Also annoyed at JA but prefers to handle it in house.  Diggs sees that McD's 'handling' isnt working

Is this why JA's girlfriend left?

7 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

IMO Something is up with Diggs' and Allen's relationship. No inside information, but a plausible conclusion based upon facts as I see them. FACTS: Today at his Presser Josh said about Diggs' absence, "I know internally, we are working on some things, not football related." FACTS: as early as week 11 verses the browns in Detroit, Diggs was displaying dissatisfaction with the offense. FACTS: early in the Cinci playoff game, Allen missed Diggs on a pass, the first miss to Diggs of the day, and Diggs was already throwing his hands in the air. FACTS: At the end of the Cinci game, Diggs blew up at Josh on the sideline. FACTS: Diggs was asked if he was upset by multiple media personal during Superbowl week. One answer he repeated in different ways, "I want the people around me to work as hard as I do." FACTS: Diggs mentioned that around week 9, the offense changed and became less effective. FACTS: Josh has said multiple times that he has refocused this off season and is more committed to winning than ever before. FACTS: Conspicuously, McDermott has said the same thing: "Josh is more focussed than ever." FACTS: In the press conference today, Josh indicated that the issue Diggs has goes beyond football and is partly personal. FACTS: Josh and his long-time girlfriend broke up after the season. FACTS: Money, the most common cause of Wide receiver diva behavior, doesn't appear to be an issue, because of how much he is being paid and the ironclad nature of the contract. SPECULATION: Josh dealt with personal drama during the 2022 season, that began around Week 9, and continued to season's end, somehow led Diggs to believe Josh was distracted. Josh has bridges to mend. Will we ever know for sure? NO. But, bros before... girlfriends.

This is a well-thought out post, with a lot of logic behind it.  We attributed the drop in Allen's performance to injury, as it was stark and immediate.  But they claimed he could play through it, and the injury wasn't a contributing factor.

His relationship failing certainly would make sense as a distraction, and one that would upset Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.