2022 WR class open vs man coverage

BarleyNY

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0eb843f179f8bcb50f01824bf110b054.jpeg

Shakir looking good in limited reps. It’ll be interesting to see how he does with more opportunities this season. 

So of those 34 times he was open, how many times did he get the ball?

I know QB1 is beloved and basically untouchable here but since we slag on the WRs constantly it seems fair to ask if they were actually open and the ball was being delivered to the wrong place.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3

Some (if not many) of the WRs listed were #1 or #2 wide receivers in their respective offenses and may have faced better quality CBs as compared to Shakir who likely was being covered by the #3 or #4 CB on the defense that the Bills were playing against.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

How would you know that unless you know the WR assignments on every play including audibles?

Because I DO know the WR assignments on every play including audibles!

And if I recall correctly, these details came from one of the press conferences where either a coach or Shakir himself acknowledged that he didn't know his assignment on some plays.  

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

It truly is a mystery

Why did they not give him more burn instead of bringing back and old Cole Beasley?

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I believe he ran a few incorrect routes and found himself in the doghouse.  

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct

I think it’s simply because he only caught 50% of his targets and had multiple huge drops. Just wasn’t consistent when the ball actually came his way.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0eb843f179f8bcb50f01824bf110b054.jpeg

Shakir looking good in limited reps. It’ll be interesting to see how he does with more opportunities this season. 

Since I don't think we will add Hopkins or someone like him.. I'm hoping for big things from Shakir. Might be a sleeper?

I know this thread is referencing Shakir.... I don't care who steps up in the WR department but I sincerely hope more than 1 rises to the occasion. I personally think Kincaid's addition can be the catalyst that allows other WR's to have more room to operate

really hoping at least one our newer larger WR's turns out to be the diamond in the rough that re-found their game here in Buffalo. Whatever and whomever can keep the chains moving works for me

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

How would you know that unless you know the WR assignments on every play including audibles?

You can tell a lot from watching the All 22. Most incorrect run routes have less to do with the shape of the route than it does with the depth and timing of the route. That may seem like a little thing, but you’d be surprised how often depth and timing impact things. Like when a receiver runs coverage into areas meant for someone else, for instance. 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Because I DO know the WR assignments on every play including audibles!

And if I recall correctly, these details came from one of the press conferences where either a coach or Shakir himself acknowledged that he didn't know his assignment on some plays.  

Wow… Shakir trying to Billy Joe Hobert himself

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It truly is a mystery

Why did they not give him more burn instead of bringing back and old Cole Beasley?

I don't think it's a mystery at all. Shakir just wasn't ready. Yes, he looked great in the preseason and had some flash plays during the season... especially later on in the year. 

However, the fact they didn't give him snaps over the corpse of Beasley and McKenzie who they have actively tried to replace for 2 seasons speaks volumes. Kid was a 5th round pick and was taken there for a reason. 

That said , I do expect him to take some steps forward and get meaningful snaps this year. Some guys just need a bit longer to learn what to do. He'll be fine though, IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.