Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

9 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

The 2nd half of Green Bay was instructive to Salah. That laid the blueprint for the Jets game, and ultimately Allen's elbow. I tend to believe that they would have come through all of that better had Daboll still been the OC. It's also a strong likelihood that our offensive line was ill-equipped to cope with the kind of aggressive techniques needed to be a heavier run offense. 

Didn't Allen hurt his arm in the first Jets game at MetLife before they played GB.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:27 PM, Einstein said:

They had one of the best drafts in recent memory (for ANY team) last season. Their first pick is already an All-Pro. Their second pick was great even with Zach Wilson and I believe will be an All-Pro by next year. Their 3rd pick was better at DE in his first season that Rousseou was in his second season, and had a top PFF ranking.  Their 4th pick was a top 10 player at his position before he got hurt last season. 

They just NAILED that draft.

As I wrote, they MAY have had a good draft. wait for three years to see if they can maintain.  Vince Young was offensive rookie of the year and all pro then was out of the league in a few years, we will see how wonderful their draft was in a few years.  I for one think Sauce Gardner was wildly overrated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

To be clear, i’m not saying losing Von didn’t hurt.

I’m just acknowledging that we were spiraling (and showing huge empty spots in our armor), before he went down.

We’re we the first 13-3 team that ever “spiraled”?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think he's a low end 2. I know you and Shaw and various others judge differently. At best, he is adequate and I don't think he's consistent enough to merit that ascription. He would thrive as a third option who catches the long ball.

I think he's a tad higher than low end. One of the biggest issues with his play last year is that a lot of his routes were ones that take time to develop. When you couple that with immediate pressure up the middle on many of Allen's passes last year it causes him to have to break that off and it becomes a bit of "backyard ball"...just get open and be ready. That isn't Davis's strong suit. He plays very well when things go to plan. When Allen has protection and Davis can get through his whole route he usually does very well. This is why I had issue with Dorsey not adjusting the offense a bit to a quicker fast attacking short to mid route gameplan. 

With the Bills focusing on shoring up that IOL this year with McGovern, who is very strong at pass blocking, Edwards and Torrence I expect Davis to be able to run those deeper routes that Dorsey likes to run. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

836 yards. 7 TDs. 15 games. Those are solid #2 numbers. Does need to be more consistent. Does need to haul in more passes thrown his way. But I can cherry pick a stat or 2 as well. 

I usually don't like cherry picked stats but to me, it's absolutely a concern if only 1 out of 2 balls are hauled in. 

His career is at 54% and averages about 40 catches a season after 3 years.  Those aren't solid #2 numbers.

He doesn't offer anything after the catch and has big drops.

He offers something great...downfield big plays.  Let him get those few big chunk plays. 

But not someone you can count on on an every game basis.

He had 9 games with 3 catches or less last year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:59 PM, 1ManRaid said:

So what you're saying is that DHop is a cancer who destroyed both the Texans and Cardinals.  Go ahead, sign with the Jets then lol.

DHop was not a cancer at all in Houston, the cancer was in Bill O Brien as GM and Jack Easterby.  I have no idea what his issue is with Arizona besides it is a dysfunctional organization with a terrible roster,

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I usually don't like cherry picked stats but to me, it's absolutely a concern if only 1 out of 2 balls are hauled in. 

His career is at 54% and averages about 40 catches a season after 3 years.  Those aren't solid #2 numbers.

He doesn't offer anything after the catch and has big drops.

He offers something great...downfield big plays.  Let him get those few big chunk plays. 

But not someone you can count on on an every game basis.

He had 9 games with 3 catches or less last year.

I want to like Gabe Davis, sometimes I do. He's been on the field all the time, blocking as well.

But, his ankles get injured every season and he always seems to be hobbling around on routes.  His hands got worse last season

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

DHop was not a cancer at all in Houston, the cancer was in Bill O Brien as GM and Jack Easterby.  I have no idea what his issue is with Arizona besides it is a dysfunctional organization with a terrible roster,

For the record, it was a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

That was the single best game Dorsey called all year. Singletary had his highest amount of carries all season.

Where did that Offensive Coordinator go the rest of the season when it mattered more

oh and Singletary is a Texan now. :(  gee I wonder why

Because we got both Damien Harris and Latavius Murray (who are both better than Devin)  for less $ than what the Houston Texans gave him

47 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

836 yards. 7 TDs. 15 games. Those are solid #2 numbers. Does need to be more consistent. Does need to haul in more passes thrown his way. But I can cherry pick a stat or 2 as well. 

It has to be at least a little concerning that over 20% of that production came in one game

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

One of the biggest issues with his play last year is that a lot of his routes were ones that take time to develop.

You don't think it's a problem that our supposedly #2 WR can only run long developing routes?

55 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is a great example of where stats can be very misleading.  The Bills have had a very good & consistent regular season defense that mostly padded its stats at the expense of bad QB's and weak offenses. In contrast the Defense has mostly struggled against good offenses in the regular season and particularly in the playoffs. 

I'm pretty sure that's how it works with defenses.  They perform better against the bad offenses than they do against the good ones. Why would this be a reason to discount the defensive stats?

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think he's a tad higher than low end. One of the biggest issues with his play last year is that a lot of his routes were ones that take time to develop. When you couple that with immediate pressure up the middle on many of Allen's passes last year it causes him to have to break that off and it becomes a bit of "backyard ball"...just get open and be ready. That isn't Davis's strong suit. He plays very well when things go to plan. When Allen has protection and Davis can get through his whole route he usually does very well. This is why I had issue with Dorsey not adjusting the offense a bit to a quicker fast attacking short to mid route gameplan. 

With the Bills focusing on shoring up that IOL this year with McGovern, who is very strong at pass blocking, Edwards and Torrence I expect Davis to be able to run those deeper routes that Dorsey likes to run. 

Gabe Davis, playing in one of the 2 most prolific offenses in the NFL over his 3 year career only has 3 total 100 yard career games (1 each year).  In 7 playoff games, he has just 2 big games.  The issue is he is more myth than fact.  He got the "Big Game" moniker to go with his name because of the KC playoff game essentially.  But the reality is "Big Game Davis" is more like 1 big game a year, a couple solid games, several games where he made game hurting mistakes, and a whole lot of games where you don't remember if he even played.  

I was really high on Davis last offseason, thought he was entering the season ready to break out, especially with the heavy attention Diggs get.  But, not only did he struggle to catch the ball, but he struggled with concentration, confidence, separation, etc.  

I like Gabe and would love to see a bounce back, but I have started asking myself what am I expecting him to bounce back to?  His drops are a career long issue.  His limited route tree is a career long issue.  His lack of consistent separation is a career long issue.  I am not sure it is realistic to expect much more than last year because not only was it his best statistical year, all the negative aspects of his game were not exactly anomalies and on par with is 3 year career.  And that makes me think that it is more "what we see is what we get" with him and he is just a lower tier WR2 who is better suited to be a very good WR3.  

I will continue to root for him, I like him, I am just now at a point where I find myself less optimistic than in the past and more concerned about his reliability.  

PS:  All that being said, I don't feel we "must" sign Hopkins because this team is reloaded on new weapons and feel like Allen no longer has to be so heavy dependent on Diggs and Davis.  However, I still would love to sign Hopkins as he would be a significant upgrade to Davis and make this offense almost certainly the #1 offense this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not that it's at all likely to happen, but if the Bills were to trade Ed Oliver, it would be before June 1st.  All of his 10.8 million would come off our books 

I had this thought yesterday.  I’m

not advocating for it.  But if they want to get beefier and free up some money … it’s not the worst outcome.  

They probably have an extra DT hanging around now, anyway, and they gave guaranteed money to Settle, so there’s a good chance he sticks.  And he’s probably the worst of the top 5.  So maybe you’re on to something. 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You don't think it's a problem that our supposedly #2 WR can only run long developing routes?

Couple comments here:

1. agree he isn't Dhop, but Gabe can run the underneath routes.  Josh himself said the offense should be incorporating more throws to him underneath.  This is a chicken/egg argument, because Dorsey hardly used him in that role (is that bc he "can't do it" like you said, OR bc he's our best deep ball threat and it clears out more for other guys?)

2.  Even if Gabe is used primarily as a deep ball threat, who cares.  This offense has been top 5 for multiple seasons.  Our offense isn't the reason we've lost jn the playoffs.  Cincy game, yes, offense was bad and so was defense.

Bottom line, is it's been overdue to address the OL and slot position; which is where I agree we needed to get better (underneath/reliable targets middle of field).  Beane addressed this already.  It's time for Dorsey to scheme around his multiple weapons, and more importantly the defense to step up come playoffs.  Defense has let us down against KC 2x, Cincy, & almost Indy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.