Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I don't disagree.   Not everyone chases a ring, and even if they are looking for a ring, the dollars still are important.   

But some guys are different. 

Von Miller came to Buffalo, and he could have done better elsewhere.  He could have been closer to home, in a friendlier tax environment (which in his case could have been worth a million alone), in a warmer climate, and still on a contender.  

Chris Paul's contract may not have changed, but he wouldn't agree to go to just any team to be a backup point guard.   He's happy to be in Golden State for one reason: a shot at a ring. 

Brady played for less for several seasons in New England.   

Oh for sure, different things factor in for different guys. As much as some fans refuse to see it, these people are humans as well and things factor in for them much the same it would for you and me when thinking about switching places of employment. Things like taxes, quality of life in the area you're uprooting to and about a thousand other factors. Picking somewhere because of a ring or even at times it's the biggest paycheck I don't believe is as much of a thing as fans make it out to be. Sure there are some that will, but if I'm betting I would say less than 20% of players base their choice on just one of those 2 factors.

There have been many well documented cases of Buffalo losing out on FAs because the guy's wife didn't want to move to Buffalo...lol. 

We have been told that it was NE and Tenn that had contract offers out for Hopkins this late in the game...and he took the deal from a team where he is familiar with one coach and had a good relationship (Vrabel) over the team that employs a guy that reportedly trashed Hopkins for having his kids mom's around and compared him to Aaron Hernandez. Relationships matter lol

Disappointed the Bills spent $9M bringing in another DE [Leonard Floyd] instead of using that money to try and bring in Hopkins. The amount of assets this team has spent on the D-line since McDermott/Beane took over has been ridiculous! 

Don’t blame Hopkins for taking the money considering all the wear and tear football players put their bodies through.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Oh for sure, different things factor in for different guys. As much as some fans refuse to see it, these people are humans as well and things factor in for them much the same it would for you and me when thinking about switching places of employment. Things like taxes, quality of life in the area you're uprooting to and about a thousand other factors. Picking somewhere because of a ring or even at times it's the biggest paycheck I don't believe is as much of a thing as fans make it out to be. Sure there are some that will, but if I'm betting I would say less than 20% of players base their choice on just one of those 2 factors.

There have been many well documented cases of Buffalo losing out on FAs because the guy's wife didn't want to move to Buffalo...lol. 

We have been told that it was NE and Tenn that had contract offers out for Hopkins this late in the game...and he took the deal from a team where he is familiar with one coach and had a good relationship (Vrabel) over the team that employs a guy that reportedly trashed Hopkins for having his kids mom's around and compared him to Aaron Hernandez. Relationships matter lol

less than 20% is right.

12 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Disappointed the Bills spent $9M bringing in another DE [Leonard Floyd] instead of using that money to try and bring in Hopkins. The amount of assets this team has spent on the D-line since McDermott/Beane took over has been ridiculous! 

Don’t blame Hopkins for taking the money considering all the wear and tear football players put their bodies through.

The problem as Joe Marino on his pod has also pointed out a number of times, is that precisely because the D-line has been unsatisfactory despite its investment value relative to some other positions, is why the Bills needed to keep tinkering with it in order to keep it from remaining a liability--going against who we do, makes that an imperative. That said, obviously I wish D-Hop was a Bill today too.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Chiefs can afford the risk, they are SB champs twice… the Bills have blown several opportunities and need a guy like Hopkins to get them over the top IMO… couple with their mediocre line… but oh well McBeane will keep with their philosophy of defense rules. 

That wasn't really my point, but sure, the Bills could have used Hopkins. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Chiefs can afford the risk, they are SB champs twice… the Bills have blown several opportunities and need a guy like Hopkins to get them over the top IMO… couple with their mediocre line… but oh well McBeane will keep with their philosophy of defense rules. 

LOL, would you say this offseason was more focused on defensive acquisitions?    

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I can't say there are many great receivers I really like, as people or personalities or teammates.  Not OBJ, not DHop, even Diggs rankles me.  I admire their great skill, but I always wonder if they make their teams better.  DHop had Watson and Murray as QBs, and they didn't win.  Lots of reasons, maybe, but he was the answer for neither team.  I wish him well, but I'll be surprised if he makes one of those QBs an all-star.  OBJ, too.  The one success OBJ had was as a role player with the Rams. 

I like Tyreek Hill.   He just goes out and does his job.  He knows he's a special talent, but he never seems to make it about Tyreek.  

I agree with you, on the whole the WRs as people are a harder to root for position group.  DHop has had prima donna tendencies, and the reports of poor practice patterns was a real concern to me (and probably Beane/McD).

You like Tyreek Hill?  How/why?  My god no.  He's made it about Tyreek plenty.  KC moved him.  That's KC, not exactly a pillar of morals.  Remember when he wouldn't restructure for KC?  And please don't forget the whole college saga/behaviors that had him slip down the draft.  

I like M Evans, and wouldn't mind Tyler Lockett/C Godwin/H Renfro/A Thielen.

2 hours ago, arcane said:

If Toney and Skyy Moore count as investments that show high prioritization relative to the Bills'additions...

I wouldn't trade Shakir, Harty and sherfield for Moore and Toney

I want better receivers too but your "at least the chiefs" stretch just tore your groin 

Skyy Moore had largely the same season that Shakir had last year. Neither could find snaps. Neither appeared to gain the coaching staff's trust. Moore was nothing special last year. 

Toney mave have the worst hamstrings in NFL history. There's a chance he misses a ton of time every year.

How people can legitimately say that those 2 are better investments than Shakir and Harty at this point because Shakir couldn't find the field and Harty has had injury issues is laughable. Now, 3 years down the road perhaps it's a different tune if Toney gorilla glues those hamstrings together and Moore finds a map so he knows where to go on the field...but for now it's the same picture.

42 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

There are a number of ways we could have had enough space left over for Hopkins. It is frustrating to see us make the same mistake as last offseason despite even more evidence that Davis is not ready to be a full time WR2. I have trouble envisioning how our offense is going to fare against more talented offenses in the playoffs. I guess if Allen plays at his ceiling for the entire season and everyone that we brought in this offseason meets their expectations we can overcome an inefficient WR2 but it's a lot to ask.

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Of course he's going to pull 1k yards, he's going to be the unquestioned #1 WR in that relatively weak WR room.  No way we get that sort of value out of him on our team at anywhere close to the money the Titans gave him.  In what world would it make sense to give him $10m+/year when we honestly don't really need him?  We added Cook and Kinkaid, Knox will benefit from better O-line play freeing him to go out and catch balls, and our WR signings are underrated.  Davis is fine as WR2.

That is point. Hopefully (key word hope) we see Cook get better in year 2, we see Kincaid contribute as a rookie, we see Knox play better, we get production from journeyman-type WR, and Davis can look like a #2. With Hopkins, you are buying essentially a sure thing for a #2 target. He and Diggs would essentially have been 1a and 1b. We are now banking on hope. If it pays off, great and we saved some some cash for a few depth special team-type guys. If it fails, then were those depth players worth it? 

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Skyy Moore had largely the same season that Shakir had last year. Neither could find snaps. Neither appeared to gain the coaching staff's trust. Moore was nothing special last year. 

Toney mave have the worst hamstrings in NFL history. There's a chance he misses a ton of time every year.

How people can legitimately say that those 2 are better investments than Shakir and Harty at this point because Shakir couldn't find the field and Harty has had injury issues is laughable. Now, 3 years down the road perhaps it's a different tune if Toney gorilla glues those hamstrings together and Moore finds a map so he knows where to go on the field...but for now it's the same picture.

With Kelce its much easier to take risks on the rest of the supporting cast. We dont have anyone like Kelce. 

Sure, but there's also something called the Players' Association that would scream bloody murder if players started taking discounts like that.  It's one thing for a fading player at the end of his career or someone coming off a debilitating injury to take less money to sign with a winner; it's another for someone to do it who is arguably still in his prime years and hasn't blown out both knees or something like that.  You'd better believe the NFLPA pressures its players to get the best deals they can.  Unlike with management collusion, that's not an unfair labor practice.  And it's also why you never see players grumbling about other guys holding out.  They know a rising tide lifts all boats.

Edited by BRH

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

With Kelce its much easier to take risks on the rest of the supporting cast. We dont have anyone like Kelce. 

Spoiler alert: No team has someone like Kelce. He's a one of one at this point from a skills and mismatch level. This doesn't mean there is no other team in the NFL can take risks on supporting cast.

This is also being a tad misleading as Kelce is their top target. We have Diggs who, production wise is on the same level. 

In my OP I compared how Moore and Shakir had the same season. Also how Harty and Toney were both red alert injury risks. Now add to that the production of Kelce vs Diggs is equivalent. On to of that we still have Davis, Knox and Kincaid. KC seems like they are the ones a bit thinner to me.

• Agree 1

I don't blame him for taking the money.  I'd rather have a couple million in my pocket for myself and my family than a Super Bowl ring.  That may not be popular, but I'd take the $$$$$$ all day and twice on Sunday.    

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Him going to Tenn feels like a win for us. I don't think we were ever gonna make the cap room to bring him here once he had been released and Tenn are not potential contender for any more than sneaking into the playoffs in 2023 even with him. 

And I think we get a year off from the Titans this year too, right?

The Bills made some difficult decisions. Signing Oliver certainly looked to seal the deal that Hopkins wasn't coming to Buffalo. Maybe I'm wrong here because I'm not good with the cap and money restrictions. 

If my premise is somewhat plausible, i'd rather have Dhop and traded Oliver for a mid draft pick or two. I think Dhop impacts the team more and gives the Bills a better chance to win. With Beane really concentrating on the offense, I'm surprised he couldn't or didn't get it done. 

I think opposing teams would have hated to see Dhop go to Buffalo. I doubt Oliver is putting any fear in opposing offenses. I doubt they are game planning for him. Dhop on the other hand certainly creates many issues for opposing defenses. 

I'm pretty sure it's not as simple as I'm stating. Lots of variables in play. I can't help but to feel a little let down in the decision not to create some cap room for DHop. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Spoiler alert: No team has someone like Kelce. He's a one of one at this point from a skills and mismatch level. This doesn't mean there is no other team in the NFL can take risks on supporting cast.

This is also being a tad misleading as Kelce is their top target. We have Diggs who, production wise is on the same level. 

In my OP I compared how Moore and Shakir had the same season. Also how Harty and Toney were both red alert injury risks. Now add to that the production of Kelce vs Diggs is equivalent. On to of that we still have Davis, Knox and Kincaid. KC seems like they are the ones a bit thinner to me.

No team has Kelce but that is why CIN needs Chase, Higgins and Boyd. That is why MIA needs Hill and Waddle. The Bills need a Diggs and somebody. The hope is that somebody is Davis (looked possible entering last season, not so much anymore), Knox or Kincaid, one of the journeyman in Harty or Sherfield. Until then the Bills are just Diggs and the supporting cast. The teams mentioned above are the who we need to beat this year to achieve our goals. I think we are well behind all of them in threats to catch the ball until we have a solid #2 option. 

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

Their OL is also at different level then the Bills. I believe they were #2 last year and the Bills were #26. 

When you look at the KC Chiefs vs Buffalo they have a super top OC / HC that is at a genius level. Their offensive line didn't allow a single sack against that Eagle defense. Does anyone else recall what they did to the Buffalo O line when they last met? That Eagle defense was way better this season.

I don't see the KC WR corps as better than the Buffalo Bills at all. It's that damned TE Travis Kelce that makes that offense so potent.

So, QB vs QB..even

OC vs OC Chiefs by 1000 miles. Chiefs

O line vs O line, perhaps the Bill caught up a bit this offseason...maybe. Chiefs

WR Corps vs WR corps... Buffalo can ya DIGGS it! Bills

TE vs TE...Chiefs...for now. Dalton Kincade? Chiefs. 

Still, Buffalo has beaten the Chiefs in the past two regular seasons during the season. We will very soon see what the Buffalo offense will look like in 2023. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.