Isaiah Simmons might be an answer for the Bills at MLB

gjv

Isaiah Simmons has played the majority of his snaps at OLB and CB, but has played 508 snaps at MLB for the Cards. I would assume that's a sufficient sample size of plays at MLB for a reasonable evaluation. The Cardinals have declined his 5th-year option. Simmons' salary for next season is an affordable 1.4 mil with a cap hit of 6.5 mil. Should his 508 snaps at MLB show well, perhaps a trade for Simmons would be the Bill's answer at MLB for next season.?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think if Bills didn’t feel Bernard or Williams could hold the job down, they would’ve made a move many months ago.

This.

They drafted Bernard with a 3rd last season. Beane wants to see if he can be the guy and get a return on the investment. They re-signed AJ Klein and Tyrel Dodson as insurance and doubled down in Drafting Dorian Williams (who can play both Middle and Outside).

Whether or not anyone thinks that's enough - that's what he's done with the position. A Draft Pick last year, 2 re-signings, and another Draft pick this year. He's addressed MLB a lot more than people think.

Posters are acting like Kylo Ren with the "more, more, MORE!" meme across the board. Asking for a top DE, a MLB trade, a WR trade, an OT, a Center, and/or another QB.

At this stage, after the Poona Ford and Latavius Murray signings, we need to come up with some money, again, after scraping the well over and over already, just to sign our Draft Picks.

Maybe there's a small finishing touch for depth here or there. But until we do something like an extension or two at DT - I wouldn't expect much, if anything more.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think if Bills didn’t feel Bernard or Williams could hold the job down, they would’ve made a move many months ago.

Ive heard Simmons is poor vs run and getting off blocks too. Built like a LB but very much a safety.

Dodson will likely be the MLB.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, gjv said:

Isaiah Simmons has played the majority of his snaps at OLB and CB, but has played 508 snaps at MLB for the Cards. I would assume that's a sufficient sample size of plays at MLB for a reasonable evaluation. The Cardinals have declined his 5th-year option. Simmons' salary for next season is an affordable 1.4 mil with a cap hit of 6.5 mil. Should his 508 snaps at MLB show well, perhaps a trade for Simmons would be the Bill's answer at MLB for next season.?

I don't know but probably would have better luck with what we got as of now Dodson, Spector etc. 

I'm not sure what the reason is that when you came across this particular players name made you think he might be the answer at MLB?

8 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I'm not sure what the reason is that when you came across this particular players name made you think he might be the answer at MLB?

Random thoughts are the genesis of all great threads. 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, gjv said:

If Isaiah Simmons is the answer, what was the question?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, gjv said:

Ok. So, how did he look in those 508 snaps? 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Random thoughts are the genesis of all great threads. 

Including…………..the Random Thoughts thread! I am nothing if not full of random thoughts.   I’m still working on coherent thoughts. Always a work in progress.  😋

I have no idea what kind of a fit Simmons might be, but I’m sure Beane & Co are leaving no stone unturned (despite what they say publicly). I’d feel a lot better with someone who has done this before. We have too much talent to waste by leaving a weak spot in the middle of the D to be exploited. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Who is the most talented football player that might be a buy low, high ceiling, linebacker?

He'd be a better safety than MLB. You have a nasty habit of trying to put highly athletic bad processing football players into the MLB position. 

I had high hopes for him too but it’s been 4 years at this point he is what he is a sub package player that doesn’t have a real position 

• Like (+1) 1

I really don’t understand why some people are calling Beane a liar just because they don’t share the same opinion. Beane has said over and over that they might have the replacement in house. He also talked glowingly about brown and also about adding a “pass catcher” that might not be a WR. It’s time to face the music people…Beane is happy with who he has at MLB. Get over it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hmm. Seems intriguing. The Cardinals are a dumpster fire organization, so it might be worth it to see if he could thrive in a better environment.

His measurables are pretty freaky. 6'4", 240 lbs, 4.39 40-yard dash.

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ive heard Simmons is poor vs run and getting off blocks too. Built like a LB but very much a safety.

So he's a poor man's Tremaine Edmunds?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, gjv said:

Definitely a reasonable proposal and something I hope our Bills at least conduct some research on.  Additionally, I don’t think the Cardinals organization has the structure in place for players to achieve the “best version of themselves” (As we so often hear about with the Bills).  Based on that alone this situation deserves some analysis. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.