1,076 Yards, TE Rookie Record = 1961

Mikie2times

I always thought this was one of the more remarkable stats in NFL lore. With the massive advancement in the passing game and more games being played, 62 years later, Mike Ditka STILL holds the record for TE receiving yards by a rookie at 1,076. Kyle Pitts would have broken the record if it wasn't for injury. Kyle Pitts was also one of the best TE prospects of all time. To think about how many elite TE's the league has seen the last 62 years. It really is remarkable that this record has held up. Do we think Kincaid has a chance?  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, KzooMike said:

I always thought this was one of the more remarkable stats in NFL lore. With the massive advancement in the passing game and more games being played, 62 years later, Mike Ditka STILL holds the record for TE receiving yards by a rookie at 1,076. Kyle Pitts would have broken the record if it wasn't for injury. Kyle Pitts was also one of the best TE prospects of all time. To think about how many elite TE's the league has seen the last 62 years. It really is remarkable that this record has held up. Do we think Kincaid has a chance?  

This will be hard I’m expecting Dalton to get around 600 yards and 5 TDs as I am taking Coach at face value about not having Josh do as much….translation a little more of a balanced attack and quick throws to the receivers to do things after the catch. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I think it’s actually possible. I think he has 3 more games than Ditka did. Also, Kincaid has a winning combination of being a great receiver, the team not concerned about him being a good blocker and an excellent QB and passing offense. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Question - Will there need to be a asterisk put by who ever breaks it because of the amount of games played when Ditka did it ? 

I would hope that if a modern day TE did break his record that has stood for so many years that they could break the record in either the same or a lessor amount of games than Mike did then there wouldn't have to be any excuses like the ones that say the RB's didn't break the 2K record in 14 games like OJ .

5 minutes ago, T master said:

Question - Will there need to be a asterisk put by who ever breaks it because of the amount of games played when Ditka did it ? 

I would hope that if a modern day TE did break his record that has stood for so many years that they could break the record in either the same or a lessor amount of games than Mike did then there wouldn't have to be any excuses like the ones that say the RB's didn't break the 2K record in 14 games like OJ .

Yeah, I agree. The record should be average yards per game instead of total yards. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Yeah, I agree. The record should be average yards per game instead of total yards. 

With a minimum number of games played in a season to qualify.

Remember when we weren't even on the yards per punt charts due to lack of participation?  Good times.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

If Kincaid breaks that record, we are retooling the entire receiver corps next year.  I see zero chance of it. If he breaks 40 catches, I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

Answer: No. to me that’s an argument made by older fans to try and hold onto something. It’s the same thing as when people say “when men played like men.” 
If he breaks the rookie record it doesn’t matter how many games he played. Elite athletes back in Ditka’s time had a major advantage that todays players don’t. They weren’t always going up against other elite athletes. If Kincaid breaks it now, he’s doing it against much tougher competition so doing it in more games kinda washes each other out 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

NO. Unless we 100000% change our playbook, I have our TE going 600-700 yards max the first year. And I am sure some on these boards will go flip with me just by throwing out those numbers...

That Ditka owns this record is amazing.  He played a 14-game season back when running backs still ruled the gridiron.  

Even with 3 extra games, I don't think Kincaid will come close.  Josh has too many weapons.  Diggs may be a future HOFer...  Shakir and Knox will get their share...  2 of our 4 backs are legit receiving threats - if Dorsey decides to use them...  I even like our backup wideouts this year.  

• Agree 1

Possible?  Of course.  Probable?  I don't think so.  It would mean the coaches completely lose confidence in Knox as a receiver early on in the season and Dorsey has to be inclined to incorporate tight end as a far more integral part of the offense than he did last season.  It's likely that pass receptions by tight ends will increase quite a bit because of Kincaid, but I don't think that the Bills thought poorly of Knox in the past.  I think they still like Knox.  I think the modest contribution by Knox compared with some lofty expectations of Kincaid, have more to do with Dorsey's philosophy than any opinion in the organization about Knox.  So it's Dorsey's philosophy that has to change for Kincaid to reach lofty levels.

3 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I think its a highly unlikely he can break that record, doesn't feel realistic without injuries playing a role in it.  Not because of ability, but I don't think he will get enough touches with how deep the offense is.  From wanting to run the ball more than last year, getting our RB's also involved in the pass attack more and all the mouths we have to feed as receiving targets at WR and TE...I just don't see him getting enough targets.  

I think a more realistic good season from him will be more in that 600-700 yard range given all the weapons on this team right now.

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Ditka could also be the most successful coach among superstar athletes.  Extremely rare. 

Most overrated coach of all time.  Only one Super Bowl win and appearance with that defense is pathetic.  Horrible coaching job with the Saints.  Hell of a player though.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.