RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

bingo- 

he may not be the super physical mauler but he’s certainly a more capable blocker than beas or lil dirty, and he can build that part of his game up while still contributing 

I mean, it’s all relative right whenever people talk about him not being a very good blocker they mean a very good blocker for a tight end. This guy will still totally maul a defensive back

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

When you first started at your job, were you instantly great at all aspects of the job?  Or did you learn, adapt, and get better based off your experiences?  Same with Dorsey, he will learn, adapt and get better at utilizing this new tool in his took kit.  That's my opinion anyway

I'm not totally sold in Dorsey but there were a few things working against him last year in my opinion.

- Poor offensive line play. This is still somewhat of a concern but I do like the guys that we brought in this offseason. No superstar but we did upgrade here. This is a problem for any coordinator but I think it's especially a problem for a OC trying to break in new concepts into an offense

- Gabe Davis health. This isn't really an excuse for his drops but he just never seemed fully healthy. Obviously that's a concern by itself but I think a healthier Davis allows him to run more routes

- Lack of a safety valve for JA. I think this is where Kincaid most helps. Rookie TE's struggle but if he can even play 8-10 snaps a game in the slot, he can give us a nice middle of the field option and hopefully he can pick up the NFL TE job quickly and be a factor there too.

- I'm a big fan of 2 TE sets. I just think it makes the defense actually have to think about what's coming. I do think we got too predictable last year. We still had a good offense despite that so just becoming a little more unpredictable would be a big help

- I also think Dorsey and the coaching staff weren't fully committed to running Dorsey's system. To me I saw almost saw like an 70% commitment to what Dorsey wanted to do and the rest hanging on to Daboll's stuff. Obviously there are going to be similarities between the two but if you aren't fully committed to something new, you are going to see struggles. Dorsey may not be the right answer but if you aren't fully committed to it, you aren't going to see true results.

Winning a Super Bowl still comes down to Josh. So giving him more weapons is never a bad thing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I would’ve preferred Anton Harrison (a full time player) and the 4th rd pick, but I’m glad it’s a pass catcher and not DT. 

I hope they were trying to trade up for one of the WRs 

If Jacksonville thought that’s who we wanted - they don’t trade.  Jacksonville took Harrison at 27 so safe to assume that was their guy and Dallas takes Kincaid.  

What would we have done in that scenario?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just looking at by betting app and the odds of the Bills taking a TE with their first pick was paying 35-1(!!!). Nobody saw this coming!

I totally expected them to wait on TE, similar to when they picked Knox in a solid TE class. There are lots of other solid TEs in this draft but the Bills went for the best.

The more I look at the pick the happier I am with it. While I don't think Kincaid is going to be an every snap player, I think that there are some really great ways he can be used and his presence should be a big relief for Diggs and Davis. While not a great blocker, he is at least a willing blocker. If he can chip on blocks while helping Spencer Brown (or his replacement) that can also help the screen game we never seem to get going. How do defenses respond to him being on the field? Do you stay heavy? If so, he can beat most LB on slant routes. Are you putting a Nickel CB on him? He is going to outmuscle both. Are you going to put a safety or starting CB on him? Great, now Gabe Davis is one on one. 

Never mind what you can do in the run game or bootlegs by working in a base set or putting one in motion and overloading one side.

Dorsey has been handed a very interesting new toy. If he can't do anything with Kincaid it's time to move on. 

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I mean, it’s all relative right whenever people talk about him not being a very good blocker they mean a very good blocker for a tight end. This guy will still totally maul a defensive back

I was coming here to say that, Robert Woods is not a good blocker for a TE but is well known for doing an incredible job on DBs. Give Kincaid some coaching and likely he will be good enough to stop a LB on his own, and he is a great receiver, so I don't get the complaint.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm like always wrong but I did say this on February 28...

"Tight end could be a possibility early in the draft. Bringing in a tight end would also potentially upgrade the offense and Beane mentioned the idea that playing two tight ends could keep teams in their base defense."

I think the truth winds up being what they say during combine time before true lying season begins. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

With that logic though we should just blindly follow Beane?

Basham over creed? Star contract? Trent Murphy? Epenesa? Ed Oliver over Simmonds/Wilkins?

Allen, Edmunds, Teller, Bass, Gabe, Dane, Harrison Phillips, Beasley, Morse, Von. Like every other GM in the league, there are hits and misses in the draft and Free Agency. My favorite example is how KC gets so much props for the Isaiah Pacheco pick. He was a 7th round pick who was a pleasant surprise, but people here either forget or over look the fact that he replaced a 1st round bust at RB by KC. Again, hits and misses for every GM, even the SB winner. Blindly follow? I'm not sure what you mean by this. He's the GM, not you. You don't have to follow or agree with him. Pretty sure he doesn't care. He's put together one of the most talented and deeper teams in the NFL, without the benefit of hindsight. I'm with John From Riverside. Beane knows what he's doing and he's one of the better GM's in the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I like that NFL.COM has his NFL comparison as Zach Ertz, and Daniel Jeremiah (who I trust more than most talking heads) has him as his #11 prospect in the draft. He describes him as a “more explosive Zach Ertz” coming out of college. I think they’ve been paying attention to our grousing and ramblings!!!  The Zach Ertz thread is finally paying off!!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Or you can use him in motion as a pin blocker - you don't really need to sustain that (in fact in many cases like TE screens and Play action, you don't want to sustain that block).  

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Allen, Edmunds, Teller, Bass, Gabe, Dane, Harrison Phillips, Beasley, Morse, Von. Like every other GM in the league, there are hits and misses in the draft and Free Agency. My favorite example is how KC gets so much props for the Isaiah Pacheco pick. He was a 7th round pick who was a pleasant surprise, but people here either forget or over look the fact that he replaced a 1st round bust at RB by KC. Again, hits and misses for every GM, even the SB winner. Blindly follow? I'm not sure what you mean by this. He's the GM, not you. You don't have to follow or agree with him. Pretty sure he doesn't care. He's put together one of the most talented and deeper teams in the NFL, without the benefit of hindsight. I'm with John From Riverside. Beane knows what he's doing and he's one of the better GM's in the league.

I missed the earlier part of this thread but do people actually think Beane is a bad GM? You can argue he is not the best but to argue he is not easily top 10 is absurd. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.