The Story Behind the Song (got any?)

BringBackFergy

Rod Stewart’s “Tonight’s the Night”

Watched a documentary where Rod was younger and wanted to go Trick or Treating with his friends. They decided, instead, to make a simple four course meal while dressed in costumes. One girl wasn’t interested in oysters or shellfish, so Rod was trying to coax her into trying seafood for the first time. 

Stay away from my window
Stay away from my back door too
Disconnect the telephone line
Relax baby and draw that blind

Kick off your shoes and sit right down
Loosen off that pretty french gown
Let me pour you a good long drink
Ooh baby, don't you hesitate 'cause

Tonight’s the night you try oysters or scallops. 

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Rod Stewart’s “Tonight’s the Night”

Watched a documentary where Rod was younger and wanted to go Trick or Treating with his friends. They decided, instead, to make a simple four course meal while dressed in costumes. One girl wasn’t interested in oysters or shellfish, so Rod was trying to coax her into trying seafood for the first time. 

Yeah - and The Who's "Squeeze Box" is a totally innocent little ditty about a musical instrument.

"In and out and in and out ..."

This is a real one.  Aerosmith was writing the songs for Toys in the Attic.  They had the melody, but couldn't think of a hook in the chorus.  They took break and went to see young Frankenstein at the movies.  They saw Marty Feldman (Igor) saying this line  which gave one of their bigger hits its title.  "Walk this way."

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

I've heard that "Free Bird" was actually about a time when Ronnie Zan Vant won a frozen turkey at a thanksgiving raffle.

image.jpeg.f50520f8c5b60b18cb17259ca69d987a.jpeg

image.jpeg.d7e77c0d959bfda00b4c2aee5775583c.jpeg

You get it, or you don’t.  CLASSIC! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I heard the Hollies do He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother in the car yesterday. We had two sons, and it touched me. I went home and looked it up, and up pops this  in video form (which seems to be eluding me). 

image.jpeg.38ce4b4d45df4e20ffb2880717a0b4ba.jpeg

Edited by Augie

I remember reading that "MMMBop" is actually pretty dark in terms of the lyrics, which is interesting because it's the most upbeat music & melody in history.  Kind of about how very little in our life really stands the test of time, and before you know it, it's all over.

The music from "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve is actually an orchestral version of "The Last Time" by The Rolling Stones (which they stole from an old Gospel hymn).  The Verve was only allowed to sample a small section it but a TRS manager argued they took too much and in the end lost songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards and all the money from it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

The music from "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve is actually an orchestral version of "The Last Time" by The Rolling Stones (which they stole from an old Gospel hymn).  The Verve was only allowed to sample a small section it but a TRS manager argued they took too much and in the end lost songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards and all the money from it.

Well, I’m glad Jagger and Richards won’t go hungry, though they look like they could use a cheeseburger, some fries and maybe a milkshake. 

It’s funny how that music universe works, and who makes money and how much. We had some friends in that world that opened my eyes to give me a tiny glimpse behind the scenes. Entertainment is entertainment. The stars get paid, just like Josh makes more than a long snapper. 

Two songs by Rush - Malignant Narcissism and New World Man.

Malignant Narcissism: Rush was recording their Snakes and Arrows album in the winter of 2007 in the Catskills Mountains of NY. Fender sent Geddy a Jaco Pastorius Signature Fretless Bass prototype for Geddy to play with and share his thoughts. He came up with a bass line so cool, that producer Nick Raskulinecz recorded the bass line through Geddy's vocal mic. (Geddy was finishing up vocals for the album). Nick told Geddy that this needs to be on the album, and for him, Alex, and Neil to come up with a song using the bass line. Neil was still at the studio but sent his drums back to California as he finished up his drum parts for the album. So with Neil using a 4 piece studio drum kit, And Geddy and Alex staying up all night working on their parts, 24 hours later Malignant Narcissism was on the album.

New World Man: Rush producer Terry Brown for the Signals Album wanted to have an equal distribution of music on Side 1 and Side 2 of the Signals cassette. They had 3 minutes and 57 seconds left to fill. So they challenged themselves to write the shortest song Rush had ever recorded to that point (dubbed Project 3:57), and New World Man, their highest Hot 100 Billboard Song ever, was born.

Their shortest song ever recorded? Malignant Narcissism. 

Edited by Draconator
  • Like (+1) 1

I've got one. The Pretenders wrote the song "back on the chain gang" after the drug overdose death of the original lead guitarist James Honeyman Scott

"Back on the Chain Gang" was recorded after James Honeyman-Scott, the Pretenders guitarist, died of a drug overdose at the age of 25 on June 16, 1982. This came two days after the Pretenders fired their longtime bassist Pete Farndon because of his drug problem.

white powdery drugs are the devil.

The powers that be
That force us to live like we do
Bring me to my knees
When I see what they've done to you

Well, I'll die as I stand here today
Knowing that deep in my heart
They'll fall to ruin one day
For making us part

I found a picture of you, oh-oh
Those were the happiest days of my life
Like a break in the battle was your part, oh-oh
In the wretched life of a lonely heart

Now I'm back on the train, yeah
Oh, back on the chain gang

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I've got one. The Pretenders wrote the song "back on the chain gang" after the drug overdose death of the original lead guitarist James Honeyman Scott

white powdery drugs are the devil.

I tried to embed Neil Young with The Needle and The Damage Done, but maybe it’s best I failed. So sad, and so true. 

Edited by Augie

"Woodstock," made famous by CSN, was written by Joni Mitchell. She didn't actually perform at Woodstock because of a prior booking, but she was friends with C, S, & N, whose stories about the festival inspired her to write the song.

"Me and My Uncle," the song that the Grateful Dead performed live more than any other song, was written by John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas. A few musicians were partying heavily in a hotel room, and Phillips strapped on a guitar and wrote the song on the fly. Someone had the presence of mind to turn on a tape recorder while he played it. Sometime later, Judy Collins, who had been at the party, listened to the tape, liked the song, and recorded it, citing Phillips as the writer. A few months later, he received a royalty check for a song he didn't remember writing. He called his manager, who told him that Collins recorded it. He called her and said he didn't write the song, so she played him the tape of himself performing it. He later joked that his memory of having written the song became clearer with every royalty check.

• Like (+1) 2

"Plane Crash" by moe. is about the bass player's fear of flying. Early in the band's career, they toured by bus or RV because he refused to fly. Eventually, that was interfering with touring, so he overcame his fear and started flying.

waaay back in the 70's Rick Derringer wrote a song called "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo"

I knew that BB King had a song where he mentioned he was a "hoochie coochie" man. And I wanted to know what Hoochie Koo / Hoochie coochie really meant

and found this: 

The Hoochie-coochie is a kind of erotic dance, similar to a belly dance. When the term was first coined it was also used as a form of baby talk, either as a pet name or as an alternative to 'lovey-dovey'. More recently, it has also been used as the name for sexual activity.

and Ricks' song influence was similar

"Hoochie Koo" is short for "Hoochie Koochie," which is sexual slang popularized by Muddy Waters in his song "Hoochie Coochie Man." In this song, Derringer finds a lady who really lights his fuse; he looks forward to a little Hoochie Koo.

This was first released on the Johnny Winter And album (1970), with Derringer and the McCoys (#1 "Hang On Sloopy") backing up Winter. Derringer, who wrote the song, decided to re-record it for his first solo single. It was his biggest hit as a solo artist.

In 1985, this was included on "The Wrestling Album," a collection of songs by various WWF wrestlers. This was the only song recorded by a real musician, although Derringer wrote "Real American" for the album, which became Hulk Hogan's theme song. A version featuring wrestling announcer Mean Gene Okerland appeared on Piledriver - The Wrestling Album II in 1987.

Edited by muppy

It's widely believed that "Don't Fear the Reaper" is about a guy talking his girlfriend into a suicide pact, but the guy who wrote it said he was just trying to say that we shouldn't fear death. He had a heart condition and began contemplating the possibility of his own early demise. Realizing that death is inevitable, he wrote the song.

And he's still alive.

15 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, and if you listen to the Stones version of the song you can't hear it at all.  You can only hear it in the orchestral cover of it.

• Agree 1

John Lennon wrote, "Happiness Is a Warm Gun," because he was a firearms enthusiast.

When I hold you in my arms
And I feel my finger on your trigger
I know nobody can do me no harm
Because ...

Happiness is a warm gun

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Gugny said:

John Lennon wrote, "Happiness Is a Warm Gun," because he was a firearms enthusiast.

Because ...

Happiness is a warm gun

I read somewhere “Wonderful Christmas Time” was written as an ode to hearing impaired children who never had to listen to that abomination of a song. They had a wonderful Christmas. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

I read somewhere “Wonderful Christmas Time” was written as an ode to hearing impaired children who never had to listen to that abomination of a song. They had a wonderful Christmas. 

This reminded me of this heartwarming story ...

• Haha (+1) 3

Stevie Wonder wrote "Superstition" for Jeff Beck to record, as a thank-you for Beck having played on one of Stevie's albums. But the record company insisted that Stevie record it himself. Beck did eventually record a cover of the song.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/jeff-beck-stevie-wonder

The original version of "Sympathy for the Devil" included the line, "I shouted out, 'Who killed John Kennedy?'" The day after the Stones recorded it, Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, so Mick went back to the studio and re-recorded the line to say, "I shouted out, 'Who killed the Kennedys?'"

6 hours ago, muppy said:

waaay back in the 70's Rick Derringer wrote a song called "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo"

I knew that BB King had a song where he mentioned he was a "hoochie coochie" man. And I wanted to know what Hoochie Koo / Hoochie coochie really meant

and found this: 

and Ricks' song influence was similar

Minnie the Moocher
She was a lowdown hoochie coocher

Cab Calloway 1931

Still strangely compelling today, Cab Calloway's “Minnie the Moocher” tells the cautionary tale of a good-hearted woman's fatal descent into drug addiction— although the casual listener would never guess the theme was so dark from the jovial melody and scat chorus of “Hi-dee hi-dee hi-dee hi!”

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

The original version of "Sympathy for the Devil" included the line, "I shouted out, 'Who killed John Kennedy?'" The day after the Stones recorded it, Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, so Mick went back to the studio and re-recorded the line to say, "I shouted out, 'Who killed the Kennedys?'"

I was very little, but my two primary memories of the Kennedys were the horse drawn carriage with casket at JFK’s funeral while watching in the living room with my parents (because my sister had a friend over and I annoyed them so they got the basement to themselves), then telling my mom Bobby had been shot before I left for school. I don’t think she believed me, and I didn’t realize how stunning that was. 

Those are strangely vivid memories. 

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread. 

The final track recorded for Revolver, ‘She Said She Said’ was inspired by an LSD-influenced conversation between John Lennon and actor Peter Fonda. 

During The Beatles’ US tour in the summer of 1965, they rented a house in Los Angeles’ Mulholland Drive. On 24 August they played host to Roger McGuinn and David Crosby of The Byrds, and the two parties, apart from Paul McCartney, spent the day tripping on LSD.

The actor Peter Fonda arrived at the house, also on acid. He attempted to comfort Harrison, who thought he was dying.

“I told him there was nothing to be afraid of and that all he needed to do was relax. I said that I knew what it was like to be dead because when I was 10 years old I’d accidentally shot myself in the stomach and my heart stopped beating three times while I was on the operating table because I’d lost so much blood.”

John was passing at the time and heard me saying ‘I know what it’s like to be dead’. He looked at me and said, ‘You’re making me feel like I’ve never been born. Who put all that s**t in your head?’

Lennon recounted the incident in 1980 in one of his final interviews, speaking to a journalist from Playboy magazine.

“It’s an interesting track. The guitars are great on it. That was written after an acid trip in LA during a break in The Beatles’ tour where we were having fun with The Byrds and lots of girls. Some from Playboy, I believe. Peter Fonda came in when we were on acid and he kept coming up to me and sitting next to me and whispering, ‘I know what it’s like to be dead.’

He was describing an acid trip he’d been on. We didn’t want to hear about that! We were on an acid trip and the sun was shining and the girls were dancing and the whole thing was beautiful and Sixties, and this guy – who I really didn’t know; he hadn’t made Easy Rider or anything – kept coming over, wearing shades, saying, ‘I know what it’s like to be dead,’ and we kept leaving him because he was so boring! And I used it for the song, but I changed it to ‘she’ instead of ‘he’. It was scary. You know, a guy… when you’re flying high and [whispers] ‘I know what it’s like to be dead, man.’ I remembered the incident. Don’t tell me about it! I don’t want to know what it’s like to be dead!”

John Lennon
All We Are Saying, David Sheff

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

12 hours ago, WhoTom said:

It's widely believed that "Don't Fear the Reaper" is about a guy talking his girlfriend into a suicide pact, but the guy who wrote it said he was just trying to say that we shouldn't fear death. He had a heart condition and began contemplating the possibility of his own early demise. Realizing that death is inevitable, he wrote the song.

And he's still alive.

No doubt the result of cowbell commissions.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:13 AM, Gugny said:

Because ...

Happiness is a warm gun

Reminds me of a story my dad likes to tell.

Back in 1980 he was kitchen manager at a restaurant/bar in a small college town. Day after Lennon was killed the college radio station (which was always on in the kitchen) was playing Beatles/Lennon solo songs all day and were taking requests. One of the characters that worked in the kitchen called in and requested live on the air, you guessed it, "Happiness Is a Warm Gun."

• Haha (+1) 1

Lou Reed- Perfect Day (1972)

It's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spend it with you / Such a perfect day - you just keep me hanging on / You just keep me hanging on

At first listen, the song appears to be a simple story about cherishing time spent with a love one but it took on a darker tone when critics interpreted it as Reed singing about his battle with drug addiction.

Ending with the refrain You're going to reap / Just what you sow makes it harder to justifiably explain away as a simple love song.

The drug claims undoubtedly inspired Danny Boyle's 1996 film Trainspotting, where it was used during a scene in which the lead character Renton, played by Ewan McGregor, overdoses on heroin.

One of Reed's most straightforward songs, compositionally, it was covered by a number of artists and released as a single in 1997 for the BBC's Children in Need appeal.

Copy and pasted from https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-24704260

Jimi Hendrix's classic song Hey Joe was inspired by the divorce of his dear friend John Lennon.  John's eldest son Julian was struggling to cope with the high profile divorce of his parents and Yoko's general bull#### and Hendrix penned an imaginative song about "shooting that old lady down" to cheer him up.  While everyone knows the chorus, few know the origin.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Jimi Hendrix's classic song Hey Joe was inspired by the divorce of his dear friend John Lennon.  John's eldest son Julian was struggling to cope with the high profile divorce of his parents and Yoko's general bull#### and Hendrix penned an imaginative song about "shooting that old lady down" to cheer him up.  While everyone knows the chorus, few know the origin.

Hilarious but not true,  hahaha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.