MLB Jack Campbell #53 in the top 100 of The Athletic... is this our guy???

7 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

I really don't see it with this guy. Play recognition looks like it's lacking and can't shed a block. Cool LB name and good measurables. 

Not an impact player. I know he'll get drafted way earlier, but seems more like a 3rd round pick imho. 

I agree…Campbell reminds me of Paul Pozlusny- a solid LB, but very unspectacular…

I’m just not as concerned about MLB as some fans seem to be…

20 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My gut says Simpson is their guy. 

To me, Campbell just doesn't play like his hair is on fire, he is methodical in his movements...really the anti-Tremaine. But there are times in games, like the Michigan game this year where you see that closing speed. Or that Kentucky bowl game that he could have sat out but played and crushed it. That Kentucky game in those clips is from his junior year, so I don't put a ton of stock in it. 

I actually prefer Simpson over Campbell, specifically because of his speed and pass rush capability 

On 3/30/2023 at 12:50 AM, HurlyBurly51 said:

He has him #53, so stating the obvious seems a reach at 27.  Not sure how realistic it would be to get him in the 2nd, but that would be pretty sweet.

Every mock I've done has him gone before our 2nd round pick. We'd have to trade up for him. I think our best bet is trade down from 1st round if we want him

4 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I had passed over Freeland because I didn’t think he did well at the Senior Bowl. Of course he blew up the Combine so I had to go back. I think he is going to be a second round pick because of his athletic upside tho I think he is behind Bergeron and Harrison as a talent. 

Rewatching him with the BYU OLine I thought he showed enough to project as an eventual starting tackle. He actually reminds me of Spencer Brown. He is quick so he is able to wall off defenders in the run game and he is able to get to them on the second level easily. Not as good at pass protection but he is certainly fast on his feet and does a good job keeping tied to his guard to mitigate the inside rush that gets him a bit. But I agree overall, I would be disappointed if he was out OT solution.

Hmm. I see the Spencer Brown likeness, but Spencer Brown was a raw player with many fewer collegiate starts where the lack of pass protection technique and anchor was a concern but you could still see ceiling and he went round 3. I think Freeland is as technically deficient in pass pro (maybe even moreso) and is a four year starter. I have a 4th round grade on him. I know he will probably go before that, but I sincerely hope it isn't to the Bills. I hate his BYU film as much as I hated his senior bowl. 

24 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I agree…Campbell reminds me of Paul Pozlusny- a solid LB, but very unspectacular…

I actually prefer Simpson over Campbell, specifically because of his speed and pass rush capability 

I love Simpson. I just think he is a bit more projection than Cambell, but will likely be better in the long run if he develops. But it's definitely more risky, but the kid oozes process. 

My Campbell love fest is just all about instinctual play. That's why I like him and the workout he had proves he could do it. Basically, I want the anti-Tremaine.

Sanders to me is the biggest boom and bust, but I think he has the longest way to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m glad I’m not a college scout. I didn’t watch the entirety of either video clip but for what I saw there was a whole lot of standing around and some rather pedestrian being ‘around the ball carrier’ in a whole lot of plays. 

Well with spread offenses, RPO game, inverted qb veer stuff, and H counter stuff, linebackers are now taught to slow-play stuff. That is where a lot of that standing around is coming from. Most DC's want the QB to give the ball rather than pull it and rip The philosophy is we will stop the run with the other guys in the box and take away the pull (that's the explosive play). Campbell's slow play at times was likely a part of the game plan.

Watch Luke Kuechly vs Colin Kaepernick against Nevada...Kuechly does not look like a world-beater in his all 22 clips. Most linebackers don't. He looks slow at times and gets smashed in the run game, but he's a hall of famer.  It's all about projection. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 3/29/2023 at 11:39 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

We all know the hole to fill. Yes it's possible the Edmunds replacement is on our roster, but c'mon... who really doesn't think we're adding an ILB???? 

Jack Campbell has been the buzz since the Combine. Yet, The Athletic just came out with their top 100. Here's what they said about him:

Campbell has excellent size to take on blocks in the box, and he’s more than willing to do so. An effective communicator pre-snap, Campbell plays with good awareness to discern play concepts and effectively play the run. He flashes the ability to stack and shed climbing offensive linemen while being a sound tackler.

But he will let the game come to him at times instead of being the aggressor. He is a good athlete, but it doesn’t always show because he plays in a controlled manner — there are times you wish he used his gifts more.

Campbell’s awareness does carry over against the pass. He is at his best in zone, where he can read the game, make plays on the ball and get into passing lanes. He’s also a fluid enough mover to hold his own in man.

Campbell has the size and athleticism to quickly adjust to the NFL. He doesn’t always play to his testing numbers, but if he becomes more comfortable, he has the ideal traits and play style to be a three-down linebacker.

I don't know about anyone else, but there were many parts of that report that absolutely screamed Buffalo.

It'd be amazing if we got him in the 2nd, but wouldn't be shocked if we took him in the 1st.

I think he's the perfect fit for us.  Watching him on film, his instincts are amazing.  Edmunds had all the physical gifts to be a great LB, but to me, lacked the instincts.  Campbell looks like the total package.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2023 at 6:28 AM, Manther said:

Right, agreed.  I want a Olinemen or WR.  Offense and help for JA!

If Beane swings a trade for DHop or signs OBJ, the need to draft a WR high in this less than spectacular WR draft class is gone.

OT is fairly deep in this year's draft and there's going to be quality lineman to be had well outside the first round.

I think our best bet is to trade out of the first into earlier in the second, where we will still probably be able to snag Campbell as well as pick up some additional picks in the process.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Well with spread offenses, RPO game, inverted qb veer stuff, and H counter stuff, linebackers are now taught to slow-play stuff. That is where a lot of that standing around is coming from. Most DC's want the QB to give the ball rather than pull it and rip The philosophy is we will stop the run with the other guys in the box and take away the pull (that's the explosive play). Campbell's slow play at times was likely a part of the game plan.

Watch Luke Kuechly vs Colin Kaepernick against Nevada...Kuechly does not look like a world-beater in his all 22 clips. Most linebackers don't. He looks slow at times and gets smashed in the run game, but he's a hall of famer.  It's all about projection. 

To me, Kuechly actually appears tenacious on this film.

49 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

To me, Kuechly actually appears tenacious on this film.

Oh for sure at times. He hits, but he misses tackles. He looks slow in some plays and gets caught in the trash. He make a huge play on the pick with the return, but he has his ups and downs in that game which I suppose was my point. Not much different than Campbell imo. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I honestly think those that are so concerned over middle linebacker are either old timers or they have been weened into thinking the only solution to losing a player to free agency, retirement, or injury is to replace them with a first round pick.

Im not concerned either. This is 2023. It’s a passing league. We have two players locked in at WR beyond this year and most people are talking about yet another defensive player. Bernard has potential and saw a small sample size last year. At some point, this regime is gonna have to trust their own process and quit trying to push that motto off on us. Give Bernard, Dotson, and spectar a chance and keep loading up on weapons and protection for Allen. 

I also get the feeling the chiefs and bengals are sitting below us hoping and praying we take a LB. That way more offensive talent falls to them.

Nobody is scared if we take a LB. They don’t want us to get more weapons for our generational qb. That’s what will get us over the hump, not yet another top defensive draft pick. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Oh for sure at times. He hits, but he misses tackles. He looks slow in some plays and gets caught in the trash. He make a huge play on the pick with the return, but he has his ups and downs in that game which I suppose was my point. Not much different than Campbell imo. 

Man idk. I see #40 all over the place. I saw him miss maybe 1 tackle, on a play that he diagnosed well (reverse) and ran across the field, still put a hit on the guy and it didn't go for big gain. He was killing it on special teams and was virtually in on about every play. Keuchly looks like a top 10 pick in that film imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My gut says Simpson is their guy. 

To me, Campbell just doesn't play like his hair is on fire, he is methodical in his movements...really the anti-Tremaine. But there are times in games, like the Michigan game this year where you see that closing speed. Or that Kentucky bowl game that he could have sat out but played and crushed it. That Kentucky game in those clips is from his junior year, so I don't put a ton of stock in it. 

Correct. The oft observed "weakness" is that he does not always play up to his physical ability. True but as weaknesses go I will take that one before many others. And it is a mistake to imply that he doesn't or can't also play to that level because he does. What you want is to see it more consistently but that's what nfl coaching and an nfl strength and conditioning program should do for him as for others coming into the league. 
I agree the Bills may prefer Simpson. That's a pick that's not without (more) risk.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

What a throwback, I remember watching that cut up prior to the 2011 draft desperate for the Bills to find a QB.

It actually reinforced to me how different Kuechley was compared to Campbell. Tho granted it is against Nevada and not BIG football.

:16 - chased Kaep to the sideline

1:07 - avoids the RT, fills the outside gap and stops Kaep

1:40 - gets driven back by Guard

1:45 - fights off the guard and stops RB at the LOS

2:26 - comes from depth to meet the RB just beyond the LOS on the swing pass

2:57 a Flows with the play to the right, Nevada runs the reverse, Kuechley scrapes down the line and meets the WR just beyond the LOS. Incredible change of direction and range.

3:07 drop into zone for the pick. Campbell did have a similar play against Stroud.

5:35 - starts filling the gap for the play action handoff and then chases down the TE Virgil Green on the Bootleg pass

5:45 avoids the OL and knifes into the backfield for a stuff

it almost looks like a highlight tape, it’s crazy how good he was. I like Campbell and he is a good player but I don’t think he has the range Kuechley did. I guess we will all see in a few years tho!

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LEBills said:

What a throwback, I remember watching that cut up prior to the 2011 draft desperate for the Bills to find a QB.

It actually reinforced to me how different Kuechley was compared to Campbell. Tho granted it is against Nevada and not BIG football.

:16 - chased Kaep to the sideline

1:07 - avoids the RT, fills the outside gap and stops Kaep

1:40 - gets driven back by Guard

1:45 - fights off the guard and stops RB at the LOS

2:26 - comes from depth to meet the RB just beyond the LOS on the swing pass

2:57 a Flows with the play to the right, Nevada runs the reverse, Kuechley scrapes down the line and meets the WR just beyond the LOS. Incredible change of direction and range.

3:07 drop into zone for the pick. Campbell did have a similar play against Stroud.

5:35 - starts filling the gap for the play action handoff and then chases down the TE Virgil Green on the Bootleg pass

5:45 avoids the OL and knifes into the backfield for a stuff

it almost looks like a highlight tape, it’s crazy how good he was. I like Campbell and he is a good player but I don’t think he has the range Kuechley did. I guess we will all see in a few years tho!

I have seen Campbell go sideline to sideline a few times. Especially in the Michigan game. The Michigan and Ohio State games kind of stick out to me as some of his best. That Kentucky film from his junior season is no bueno. But yes I agree that Kuechly is in a different league. If Cambell can be 75% of Keuchly, you have an all-pro, and the back end of the first, that ain't bad. 

NFL.com posted an article of all 32 team needs, heading into the draft.  Interestingly, they believe that the BILLS are the only team with a first round pick, in need of linebacker.  Good odds for getting our pick of the litter.

The other teams in need?

Cleveland Browns

Miami Dolphins

The Browns do NOT have a pick in the second round either, but Miami picks at 51 with the Bills at 59.  There is a "likelihood" that the Dolphins could swoop in and take a linebacker ahead of the Bills, and that would drive me insane.... lol....

So I think that it is NOT safe to just hope that "our guy" is available at 59.  

We have a few choices. 

1.  Stick and pick at 27, a bit of a so called reach with other quality, higher ranked players still on the board.

2.  Trade down marginally to get our guy, but not too far that Miami could leap-frog us in the second round.  I like the Seahawks at 37 who have that extra 2nd rounder from Denver.  They may want to use that pick to move up to 27.  Campbell at 37 sounds about right.

3.  Pick OT in round 1 (or whatever BPA there is....) and then be AGGRESSIVE in round 2 to pick ahead of Miami, again to get our starting linebacker.....

Just looking at team needs.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-first-round-order-top-three-needs-for-all-32-teams

Edited by Yantha

19 hours ago, Doc said:

It doesn't work the same way.  In the draft a) there is an order for selecting players that another team can jump ahead in unexpectedly and take the player you want and b) the players are unknowns in the NFL.  In FA many teams have a shot at a player that has shown he can play in the NFL, but the player ultimately decides where he wants to go.

In this case, it's pretty well known that the Bills will want to draft a MLB somewhere, likely high because they lost their starter and want to get a high quality replacement.  The Steelers are looking to add a MLB as well.  Let's say the Bills have decided Campbell will be a stud.  They have the 27th pick and the Steelers' 2nd pick in the draft is at 32.  Is it worth losing Campbell and leaving you with possible a lesser quality player, all for at best a 3rd rounder?

If the Bills truly believe:

A)  The general consensus on Jack Campbell as a mid-2nd/early 3rd Round prospect is way-off...

B)  He is truly a stud 1st Round MLB prospect that is the Best Player Available at our pick...

C)  Trading down will cost us him AND all the other prospects of equal value...

Then yes... it absolutely makes sense for them to take him at #27.

But if the primary motivation is fear that we leave the draft without a starting caliber MLB, and that is why Campbell needs to be pushed up the board, then the Bills are screwing themselves.  

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

A)  The general consensus on Jack Campbell as a mid-2nd/early 3rd Round prospect is way-off...

B)  He is truly a stud 1st Round MLB prospect that is the Best Player Available at our pick...

But if the primary motivation is fear that we leave the draft without a starting caliber MLB, and that is why Campbell needs to be pushed up the board, then the Bills are screwing themselves.  

Great point- almost like, if there is fear of missing out on a MLB,  will they allow it to persuade them into thinking Campbell is more talented than he is, to ensure they draft him early? 👍

Edited by JaCrispy

45 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I'll take D....all of the above.

38 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Great point- almost like, if there is fear of missing out on a MLB,  will they allow it to persuade them into thinking Campbell is more talented than he is, to ensure they draft him early? 👍

Well Jerry's in front of us and the 5 teams behind us could all stand to add inexpensive youth in the middle of their D's. No way he gets to 34.

The Steelers 2nd pick is 33.  

If I could trade down no more than 3 spots to the Saints or Philly, otherwise I'm pulling the trigger.

Edited by nosejob

Bills absolutely need to find a linebacker in this draft. The 3 guys currently on board are all backups. If they can trade back from 27 and still get Campbell or Simpson (prefer Campbell) great. With the extra pick they can maybe scoop Mims after the front runners have all gone in the first. I think Mims can bring lots to the table. Way more than Downs imo.

Of course it would be great if the Bills could sign a top shelf veteran. I don't know where Hop will land but Arizona is definitely moving him.

Haven't followed this thread but how could this guy not be the pick if he's available? I see them saying he's possibly a 2nd round guy. Sometimes these scouts overthink it. He's a very good player. He has the size and if he's a little slow then you make up for that with instincts. From watching his videos it looks like he has a good feel for the flow of the play and he fills the holes (that's what she said). Something Edmunds could never do despite how they told us for years how much potential he had

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Bills absolutely need to find a linebacker in this draft. The 3 guys currently on board are all backups. If they can trade back from 27 and still get Campbell or Simpson (prefer Campbell) great. With the extra pick they can maybe scoop Mims after the front runners have all gone in the first. I think Mims can bring lots to the table. Way more than Downs imo.

Of course it would be great if the Bills could sign a top shelf veteran. I don't know where Hop will land but Arizona is definitely moving him.

In my fantasy, Robinson slides to us.  Either get a 3rd from the Saints or a 3rd and late rd. from Philly. No to Cincy, or K.C.

13 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Well Jerry's in front of us and the 5 teams behind us could all stand to add inexpensive youth in the middle of their D's. No way he gets to 34.

The Steelers 2nd pick is 33.  

If I could trade down no more than 3 spots to the Saints or Philly, otherwise I'm pulling the trigger.

Yeah the Steelers want him bad so unless it's 28-32  we're stuck taking him @ 27.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I would expect that if they take Campbell (or someone else, I don't know who), it's because they feel he's the best MLB in the draft.  I doubt one is selected before the pick.

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

I would expect that if they take Campbell (or someone else, I don't know who), it's because they feel he's the best MLB in the draft.  I doubt one is selected before the pick.

You may be right, but if I'm guessing it'll be like....4 maybe 5 QBs.....   4 to 5 DL.... 4 to 5 OTs ....2 to 3 CBs.... 1 or 2 S....2 TEs.   So looking at 18 to 22  pretty much locked in.

After that will be a free for all.  It would be hard to say a team in the bottom 5  is "reaching".

Edited by nosejob

5 minutes ago, nosejob said:

You may be right, but if I'm guessing it'll be like....4 maybe 5 QBs.....   4 to 5 DL.... 4 to 5 OTs ....2 to 3 CBs.... 1 or 2 S....2 TEs.   So looking at 18 to 22  pretty much locked in.

After that will be a free for all.  It would be hard to say a team in the bottom 5  is "reaching".

I've always wanted to see this master list that people go of off when they talk about "reaching."  You'd think there wouldn't be so many busts in the 1st round...

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I've always wanted to see this master list that people go of off when they talk about "reaching."  You'd think there wouldn't be so many busts in the 1st round...

Not to mention, I believe there are 4 teams with 2 1st rounders.  BTW, reaching could be thought off when a team takes a player earlier than projected by the media.

Edited by nosejob

Again, there are zero teams ahead of us in the first round with MLB as a top need.

And in round 2, it's only Miami.

If we don't pick MLB in round 1 or in a trade down above Miami, there's a very good chance we miss out on a solid MLB that is ready to start right away.  It's too important of a position to just let it slide.

I like our starting RT right now way more than our big fat question mark at MLB.

The Bills need offensive help at 27 either a tackle that can solidify the O-line or a WR that can help take pressure off Diggs and give Josh more options. Campbell would be a great add at 59 but at 27 the Bills need to get Josh more help. 2 out of the top 3 picks including pick 27 should be on the offensive side of the ball.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:53 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I think we will start seeing Campbell mocked more in the first round and it may change people's perspectives of his value. 

Like Luke Keuchy in 2012...early mock drafts had him early 2 late 1...then the process played out and he started to be in the top 15 discussions. 

See this is kinda the reason I'm wondering if Campbell will be the guy we target. McDermott was the Panthers DC when Kuechly was drafted and for his first 5 years in the league.

As for the desire for Sanders because of his pass rushing ability, was Kuechly a great pass rusher? Campbell seems like more of a true old school well-rounded MLB with good run stopping and coverage ability and great instincts. Sanders sounds more raw.

I just think as McDermott's 1st year calling the defense, he'd look at a Kuechly-like MLB with googly eyes.

We already have our pass rushing/blitzing LB in Milano.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

See this is kinda the reason I'm wondering if Campbell will be the guy we target. McDermott was the Panthers DC when Kuechly was drafted and for his first 5 years in the league.

As for the desire for Sanders because of his pass rushing ability, was Kuechly a great pass rusher? Campbell seems like more of a true old school well-rounded MLB with good run stopping and coverage ability and great instincts. Sanders sounds more raw.

I just think as McDermott's 1st year calling the defense, he'd look at a Kuechly-like MLB with googly eyes.

He was hoping TE would be his super-sized/athletic Kuechly.  But that was never to be because of his lack of instincts.  Not exactly TE's fault because he was never a true MLB.  I can see MLB being the 1st pick but I don't know who he will select.  But I hope that he doesn't focus solely on Campbell because Kuechly's mentoring him and ignore reasons to select another player.

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As Gregg Cosell says, Campbell is not the HOF Keuchly but he's probably 75% of Keuchly and that should translate into multiple pro bowls. 
Bills are drafting the Edmunds replacement this year imo. He's got to be one of the top 3 guys too because we need someone who can reliably start and contribute. The three we've got onboard now are all backups. Suggests maybe a trade down or a LB at 27. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

As Gregg Cosell says, Campbell is not the HOF Keuchly but he's probably 75% of Keuchly and that should translate into multiple pro bowls. 
Bills are drafting the Edmunds replacement this year imo. He's got to be one of the top 3 guys too because we need someone who can reliably start and contribute. The three we've got onboard now are all backups. Suggests maybe a trade down or a LB at 27. 

McD won't trade down if he's identified the MLB he wants (again, the Bills should have the first pick of one) and with the Steelers sitting there at 32 and ostensibly look for a MLB.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

McD won't trade down if he's identified the MLB he wants (again, the Bills should have the first pick of one) and with the Steelers sitting there at 32 and ostensibly look for a MLB.

Yeah that makes sense if he knows exactly who he wants, which is likely, so he pulls the trigger at 27. But I still wonder if all three of the front runners are on the Board at 27 whether he might trade back, especially if he knows who Pittsburg wants.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.