MLB Jack Campbell #53 in the top 100 of The Athletic... is this our guy???

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Yeah that makes sense if he knows exactly who he wants, which is likely, so he pulls the trigger at 27. But I still wonder if all three of the front runners are on the Board at 27 whether he might trade back, especially if he knows who Pittsburg wants.

There's no way to be sure who they want.

• Sad 1

I've often stated that NFL fans would be much better served by ignoring highlight packages and instead looking for condensed games or "player A vs team A" videos.

This is particularly true for non-skill position players. To watch a player over the course of 65-70 snaps during a game instead of watching that player's highlights will make a big difference in how well an observer understands a player.

That said, here are such videos devoted to Jack Campbell:

Vs. Kentucky:

Vs. Iowa State:

Vs. Michigan:

The added bonus is that you don't have to listen to lousy highlight soundtracks and redundant hype editing.

As for the player, I feel like Campbell has a chance to be a Leighton Vander Esch type of player.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I've often stated that NFL fans would be much better served by ignoring highlight packages and instead looking for condensed games or "player A vs team A" videos.

This is particularly true for non-skill position players. To watch a player over the course of 65-70 snaps during a game instead of watching that player's highlights will make a big difference in how well an observer understands a player.

Vs. Kentucky:

Vs. Iowa State:

Vs. Michigan:

The added bonus is that you don't have to listen to lousy highlight soundtracks and redundant hype editing.

As for the player, I feel like Campbell has a chance to be a Leighton Vander Esch type of player.

Hurt and rarely available?

• Sad 1

Up to 18th overall on Walterfootball. Moving up quickly.

18. Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa.Previously: 23 Avg. 26.1 per 8
04/05/23: Team sources really like Campbell and think he will go in the back half of the first round in the 2023 NFL Draft. They call him a taller version of Chad Muma and say he does some things that remind them of Luke Kuechly. The 6-foot-5, 249-pound Campbell has good size, strength, and enough athleticism to be a three-down starter. He is very instinctive, smart, and showed more fluid pass coverage skills than expected at the combine.

Edited by Bigvinny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Vs. Kentucky:

Vs. Iowa State:

Vs. Michigan:

I appreciate you posting these. I watched the first two. The first one is from the '21/'22 season. The second one is from this past season. I didn't realize this until after watching them both. What I noticed is that he looked much more comfortable in the second one. Block shedding isn't great like the scouting reports say but it was better than the first video from the previous season. Overall his instincts in zone coverage look outstanding. I didn't see a single pass completed in his direction. So I see great instincts and progress from one year to the next. Most years he probably is a 2nd round player but in a weak draft bottom of the 1st round is reasonable value for him IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

If he was like Leighton Vander Esch excepting that he was injury-free, would you be happy with Campbell at #27?

No. I think the LVE comparison is a good one. But he topped out as a rookie. He was in a good class and he was the most pro-ready to start day 1 but what you saw was the maximum that was there. Leonard and Warner drafted later but with higher upsides went past him by year 2. Okay there probably isn't a Leonard and a Warner in this class. 2018 was a very strong draft. But there are two higher upside guys there even just at linebacker (before you talk more premium positions) and both might still be on the board. If the Bills are only thinking about winning a Superbowl in 2023 then Jack Campbell at #27 makes sense. It is the same argument as "who is gonna make a bigger difference to our offense as a rookie than Bijan?" But long term I think there are potentially better uses of the selection, personally.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No. I think the LVE comparison is a good one. But he topped out as a rookie. He was in a good class and he was the most pro-ready to start day 1 but what you saw was the maximum that was there. Leonard and Warner drafted later but with higher upsides went past him by year 2. Okay there probably isn't a Leonard and a Warner in this class. 2018 was a very strong draft. But there are two higher upside guys there even just at linebacker (before you talk more premium positions) and both might still be on the board. If the Bills are only thinking about winning a Superbowl in 2023 then Jack Campbell at #27 makes sense. It is the same argument as "who is gonna make a bigger difference to our offense as a rookie than Bijan?" But long term I think there are potentially better uses of the selection, personally.

I was hoping for LVE mashed with Kuechly

9 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

If he was like Leighton Vander Esch excepting that he was injury-free, would you be happy with Campbell at #27?

Vander Doodle, in addition to being injury prone, also stinks.  If Campbell is a healthy Vander Doodle, stay away.

• Sad 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:26 AM, Chaos said:

Seems unrealistic. Campbell and Johnson wiil be gone before those picks. There will also likely be better recievers than Mims at 55. 

Not to mention the Jets have 2 picks before that and their biggest need is Dline and LB....and the goods for A  Aron haven;t been delivered yet.

I've seen some Logan Wilson comps thrown around. Again, I really like Campbell, brought him up a long time ago and I think he surely has the highest floor, without the upside of maybe a Sanders or Simpson. I think it just depends on what you want to do. If I want a guy to plug a hole who will give me top production on a rookie deal and helps me win a Super Bowl, I am taking Campbell. Perhaps, long term, he isn't the upside investment. But if I am getting Logan Wilson at 27 in a weak draft, I am going with it 100%. 

Side note, bowl game vs Kentucky, a game Will Levis sat out and Campbell could have totally sat out, he decides to play. His grandpa is in town to watch him play and the night before the game grandpa gets hit by a car and dies. Campbell's parents don't tell him because they know how much he wants to finish things out and play with his teammates, they wait to tell him until after the game. It kind of shows you how important football is to him and his family.  

I don't know what his ceiling is going to be, but I can tell you that this kid will not fail. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Wilson came out with some of the same issues with block shedding a bit. Wilson was the first pick of the third round in a loaded draft class as a smaller school guy. 

Cambell is bigger and slightly more athletic. Split the difference, he is probably a high second-round pick. Considering where the Bills are picking, they probably have to take him in the first. 

download (9).jpeg

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Eyeroll 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:57 AM, Rico said:

zzzzzzzz. If he’s the next Pos, I hope someone takes him before us.

Don't worry Bro, he's not the next Pos.

His RAS is 9.98 in comparison to Pos who was 8.7...So I'm not sure where the comparison is coming from. Campbell is definitely a better overall athlete, and a better player coming out. In fact, statistically he's a better overall athlete than Tremaine Edmunds...Campbell is literally the 7th best RAS athlete since the stats have been compiled. Right behind Luke Keuchly. And that includes all edge LB's...B-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

I’m not in favor of selecting LB with our first overall regardless of player.,

Agreed and I like Campbell. It would need to be a generational type LB and Campbell doesn’t seem like he’s that type. It also seems like bad team building. Draft a guy in the first, let him walk, and then draft another guy in the 1st 4 years later? Most LBs are a product of the d line in front of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.