Bills re-sign OT Quessenberry

Warriorspikes51

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Have you watched other teams? We played teams down multiple starting OL that did not miss a beat. Whenever we were down a gut the line crumbled. Is it a crime to want to try some new blood? 

yes read my last reply. It just looks like other backups are good because our D was terrible at getting pressure. 

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair.

I'll say this: I don't have a ton of complaints about Brandon Beane, but of the few that I do have, a key one is that he can remain committed to players he drafted or "believes in" for too long, past the point at which all available evidence has suggested that he's wrong. He seems to fall prey to "sunk cost fallacy" and to remain too willing to stick it out with players that don't deserve it.

I'm not saying Spencer Brown is one of those guys, for sure. I think it's too early to say.

Yeah, there are what you might call "type I" and "type II" errors in draft-and-develop; "type I would be reaching a false positive conclusion that a guy's "best football is ahead of him" and he can still develop into the player he was drafted to be.  "Type II" would be reaching a false negative conclusion, and giving up on a player as "not gonna cut it" too early.

Beane stuck with Cody Ford through 3 seasons before trading him, and looks likely to stick with Spencer Brown through 3 seasons.  So the Spencer Brown "type II" error (if so it proves) may take place on the same time frame.

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

Ironically, the one time Beane DID give up pretty quickly and trade a drafted player away, said player immediately became an All-Pro elsewhere. Unfortunately, that incident only seems to have increased Beane's willingness to stick it out with other, lesser players.

I assume you're speaking of Wyatt Teller, and actually, I don't think either of those errors were committed with Teller.  For one thing, Teller's development with the Browns (again, assuming that's who you're talking about) did not take place on the timeframe you speak of.  Teller started 9 games for the Browns the year we traded him, 11 games (where he was starting to look good) in his 3rd year, and became a Pro Bowler (not an All-Pro) in his 4th season - a much more gradual development than "immediately became an All-Pro elsewhere" implies.

I think the error with Wyatt Teller was in how the team fundamentally values OL traits.  Beane demands positional flexibility from backup OLmen or guys who might be backup OLmen that season - they have to be able to play both sides as G and ideally perhaps C as well.  So keeping a guy to develop at LG or RG is assigned a lower priority than keeping a guy who can switch to either side and maybe play C.  That's why the Bills kept Ryan Bates, Ike Boettger, and Spencer Long over Teller.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Process said:

I really hope this isn't a sign of faith in Brown as a starter. Ideally he would be the one to fill the role of primary back/swing tackle and we would find a starter that isn't a complete turnstile. 

But if Q comes cheap then it wouldn't be bad to have both him and Brown as backups and this would be a nice signing/depth.

Hopefully they still bring in someone that can at least compete and push for the starting job.

Beane is filling holes and building depth in the roster.. so he doesn't have to 'reach" in the draft . Have to get to 90 for camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billsguy said:

The Bills have apparently decided the position to save money is offensive tackle. Just keep the same guys that failed last year and hope Josh Allen doesn't notice. How is your elbow feeling Josh?

It’s a tough spot similar to WR. They have a player they really like there on a rookie contract. They aren’t willing to draft their replacement yet. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

It baffles me that every March people completely forget that we need to go into camp with 90 players!

Need able bodies, folks!

He’s not just a body. He’s their swing OT.  Only thing that changes it is if the draft falls perfectly for them and an OT they love is there in the 1st or 2nd.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s not just a body. He’s their swing OT.  Only thing that changes it is if the draft falls perfectly for them and an OT they love is there in the 1st or 2nd.

Sure, but the last part is kinda my point. It's just a single backup signing. Doesnt stop them from bringing in others.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Roster is basically set minus Edmunds replacement and some DL depth.

Veteran pass rusher will be the next signing. I fully believe they’ll sign Jordan Phillips after the draft. Maybe they also sign another vet DT.

Then that leaves MLB for the draft. 

excuse me gotta go projectile vomit

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Him and Tommy Doyle who'll probably go into the season on the PUP list/IR from his injury last season.

2 minutes ago, LEBills said:

As long as he is OT4 or 5 and for little money it’s an ok signing. Can’t go into the season with him as OT3 again

He will be the 3rd OT and he will be very cheap.

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

excuse me gotta go projectile vomit

Funny how we now hate last years preseason roster that was Super Bowl favorites. What changed?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Not thrilled about this but it could be worse I guess.

I will however be irritated if we are not drafting OL on day 1 or two. Josh deserves blue ribbon protection. Beane owes him that.

Completely agree. Quessenberry damn near ended Josh's season. I don't like him backing up either side. We better land 2 OL guys in the first 4 rounds or it will be a big middle finger to Josh.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

we saw them play like absolute garbage after the GB game, more or less?

Man our expectations are crazy. They struggled the 2nd half vs a tough schedule but still won games with many key injuries.

I went into the offseason wanting OL and DL improvements. So far I don’t see the improvements. But I don’t get the negativity. It’s basically the same team when healthy that we thought could win a Super Bowl. The hole is the player this board hated entering last year.

• Like (+1) 1

This, to me, signals we will likely draft a Tackle early.  

They can say they believe in Spencer Brown all they want, but I can’t imagine they believe in him enough for only Q and Doyle to be depth/competition. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Man our expectations are crazy. They struggled the 2nd half vs a tough schedule but still won games with many key injuries.

I went into the offseason wanting OL and DL improvements. So far I don’t see the improvements. But I don’t get the negativity. It’s basically the same team when healthy that we thought could win a Super Bowl. The hole is the player this board hated entering last year.

Not everyone here hated Edmunds. I'd rather have kept him and jettisoned Oliver.

• Like (+1) 1

I have full complete faith and trust in the Beane & McDermott tandem. Time is always the truth teller, but I think given the budget constraints,  Beane has so far had a magnificent draft. Just need to sign and draft an ILB to replace Edmunds, and Beane can go into the draft ready to sign the best available in each round of the draft. Signing Quessenberry helps that cause.         

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not everyone here hated Edmunds. I'd rather have kept him and jettisoned Oliver.

Before last year you wanted to sign Edmunds to an extension? I didn’t come across many that did.

Oliver is basically the same situation. Average player. No big moments. No big stats. High 1st round pick in a contract season.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Before last year you wanted to sign Edmunds to an extension? I didn’t come across many that did.

Oliver is basically the same situation. Average player. No big moments. No big stats. High 1st round pick in a contract season.

I think Edmunds still has upside.

Oliver, I'm not so sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This, to me, signals we will likely draft a Tackle early.  

They can say they believe in Spencer Brown all they want, but I can’t imagine they believe in him enough for only Q and Doyle to be depth/competition. 

That’s exactly what they did last year coming off back surgery. 

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I think Edmunds still has upside.

Oliver, I'm not so sure.

I don’t believe you wanted Edmunds signed to an extension before last season. 

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Him and Tommy Doyle who'll probably go into the season on the PUP list/IR from his injury last season.

Your probably right. They still have Ryan Van Demark OT from Conn who had a lot of pre draft buzz listed on the roster but apparently didn't show much during camp. They also have Alex Anderson from UCLA who was called up for 1 or 2 games (not sure if he actually played) Seems like I've been waiting forever for a PS lineman to develop & make the team.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s exactly what they did last year coming off back surgery. 

I don’t believe you wanted Edmunds signed to an extension before last season. 

Oh, I know, but I guess they would live by the “fool me once” motto… but maybe not.  

I love Brown’s potential, but man… that would be a tough pill to swallow. 

3 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

I wonder how much input McD is having on these offensive signings. I'm sure he wants Beane to draft all defense this year. Sean just hoping Allen can cover all the weaknesses on offense. 

This is McDermott’s team 100%. He has given Beane more and more power every year but it’s McDermott running the show.

15 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Your probably right. They still have Ryan Van Demark OT from Conn who had a lot of pre draft buzz listed on the roster but apparently didn't show much during camp. They also have Alex Anderson from UCLA who was called up for 1 or 2 games (not sure if he actually played) Seems like I've been waiting forever for a PS lineman to develop & make the team.

Good point. Colts drafted Van Demark but cut him to poach Tenuta from Bills. Bills then grabbed Van Demark for practice squad. I also have hopes either Van Demark or Anderson show progress after a year with Bills training staff.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.