Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

1 minute ago, Success said:

C'mon, man.

I've gotten some ridicule on this thread (I actually thought it would just get a few responses).  But that's a bit over the top.

deleted because you seem like a nice dude. Apologies.

I disagree with your post tho.

Poyer isn’t getting us over the top to win a Super Bowl. Signing special teamers? Who gives a crap. A backup guard? Ok.

I think this front office and staff has again let our star QB down this offseason. Now we rely on rookies to get us to the next level.

not buying it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Regardless of who we bring in to replace Edmunds, I don't have to like his game.  I don't think he sucked.  But he was not a game changer, and did not dominate.  His lack of instincts made him look slow and out of position more then a little.  That being said.  The Bears overpaid for him.  It will be interesting to see the trajectory of his career from this point forward.  I like Milano's game a whole lot better.

You’re forgetting he was. being used in a defense with Milano and 5 in the secondary every down. He played all game without substitution and called the signals from the age of 21 to 24. He averaged well over 100 tackles and the defense was in the top 3 in every defensive metric. He was much better last season instinctively and if you can’t acknowledge that you’re in the vast minority. The guy’s just getting started and he’s a physical freak with speed and length. He would have  been paid by any GM who watched his tape.

3 minutes ago, McBean said:

Poyer isn’t getting us over the top to win a Super Bowl. Signing special teamers? Who gives a crap. A backup guard? Ok.

I think this front office and staff has again let our star QB down this offseason. Now we rely on rookies to get us to the next level.

not buying it.

Thanks.

If I could, I would re-write the OP.  My expectations were really zero for this FA period, because of our situation. We simply can't spend like most other teams right now.  

Literally, my main priority was "sign starting-caliber guard."  Which we did.  I happen to also think Allen will really elevate Harty - he's got great speed & hands, and gets good separation (which JA loves) - but I get that opinions vary on that.

I also don't think the team is in as bad a shape as many here. For stretches last season, we were the best team in the league (early on).  Losing our big splash last year set us back significantly.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

lmao, let’s just gloss over all the DE’s he’s drafted and the trash OL 

I can't argue that at all but considering the head coach in willing to put the blame on others shoulders as well and not just Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Regime has continually whiffed in free agency and the draft. The Bengals added Orlando Brown, the Chiefs added Juwan Taylor. We are going to trot out Spencer Brown and a prayer again. 

I assume that we’ll draft OL but I have zero confidence that Beane and our scouts can identify talent.

If Beane does something stupid like TE then he’s definitely finished here.

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There’s no magic or skill to restructuring contracts to create cap space. That’s not what would make Beane a top GM.

We can’t give him credit for the Diggs trade either. That was more of a desperation/panic move after Antonio Brown left him at the alter.  The player did work out tho.

Edited by Governor
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There’s no magic or skill to restructuring contracts to create cap space. That’s not what would make Beane a top GM.

The magic is all in the pockets of the Pegula’s.   Beane literally has a blank check.   Not true for all GM’s. 

4 minutes ago, Governor said:

We can’t give him credit for the Diggs trade either. That was more of a desperation/panic move after Antonio Brown left him at the alter.  The player did work out tho.

Of course you can give him credit for that. Seems silly to say you can’t.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Success said:

Thanks.

If I could, I would re-write the OP.  My expectations were really zero for this FA period, because of our situation. We simply can't spend like most other teams right now.  

Literally, my main priority was "sign starting-caliber guard."  Which we did.  I happen to also think Allen will really elevate Harty - he's got great speed & hands, and gets good separation (which JA loves) - but I get that opinions vary on that.

I also don't think the team is in as bad a shape as many here. For stretches last season, we were the best team in the league (early on).  Losing our big splash last year set us back significantly.

I agree.  As I said somewhere, with one spot to fill, the Bills are a solid contending team.  MLB will take some doing (Wagner?), but otherwise the roster is set and solid.  Plenty of places to improve but no holes.   And the draft likely will bring a few contributors.

It's a good job by Beane.  He is good at free agency..  Looking longer term, however, the roster isn't as strong as it could have been with some better drafting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Unfortunately I can't say we've improved. We signed another meh guard, and now have a huge hole at MLB. I'm starting to lose a little bit of confidence with Beane in the draft. We are now faced with the following holes. Beane needs to hit the draft out of the park, or we will start to regress.

Top draft needs

1. MLB

2. WR2, with WR1 upside to replace Diggs in a few years.

3. Interior lineman (upgrade G position with potential to replace Mitch in 2-3 years)

4. Safety (Hyde coming back from major injury, and Poyat battled injury all year. They are both getting up there in age)

5. DT to replace Oliver, as this is his last year as a Bill.

Not expecting us to sign Wagner, but it would be a huge get. As it stands now, we go into the draft with a desperate need. Hard to stick with BPA. If we do go LB early, let's please go for a guy with elite instincts over elite athleticism.

I’m just not comfortable not signing a veteran middle linebacker. It makes me feel like we’re going to have to reach with that first pick which you don’t wanna do.

Was totally OK with letting Edmonds go if the price tag was too high but we need a back up plan and I’m totally OK with drafting a linebacker. I just don’t want to draft for need with that first pick

2 hours ago, McBean said:

not buying it.

Listen, I'm not hoisting Brandon up on my shoulders and parading him around. He's made some good picks and bad ones. I'm still waiting for the biggest fish in FA for us which would be Wagner. This signing is critical. If BB can pull off a reasonable 2 yr deal we can go into the draft focusing on additional OL/WR help in the first 4 rounds. But if we're expecting guys like Klein, Bernard, Dodson or Spector to replace Tremaine,  we're in trouble.  More work to be done.

• Agree 1

Who's this "solid starter at G" you speak of? McGovern? Seriously?

3 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Unfortunately I can't say we've improved. We signed another meh guard, and now have a huge hole at MLB. I'm starting to lose a little bit of confidence with Beane in the draft. We are now faced with the following holes. Beane needs to hit the draft out of the park, or we will start to regress.

Top draft needs

1. MLB
2. WR2, with WR1 upside to replace Diggs in a few years.
3. Interior lineman (upgrade G position with potential to replace Mitch in 2-3 years)
4. Safety (Hyde coming back from major injury, and Poyat battled injury all year. They are both getting up there in age)
5. DT to replace Oliver, as this is his last year as a Bill.

Not expecting us to sign Wagner, but it would be a huge get. As it stands now, we go into the draft with a desperate need. Hard to stick with BPA. If we do go LB early, let's please go for a guy with elite instincts over elite athleticism.

Upgrading the IOL and RT remains the biggest need by far.

7 hours ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

He still has time but as of now this team has not improved and you could argue they have taken a step back after losing Edmunds. We need to see what he paid for Poyer before giving that a grade and as of now the Dolphins may have the best team on paper in the division.  The Chiefs won the Super Bowl last year because their GM had an amazing offseason both with trades/free agent signing and most important and amazing draft. Why is restructuring contracts some huge deal?  unless your using the cap space to bring in difference making player then it's really not doing anything positive .  The Bills need a big play RB and perhaps an upgrade at #2 receiver. We need to improve our offence ,  because no matter how much assets/resources the Bills stick into their defence they always seem to suck in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

He is a top GM. 

But what he did so far is solidly decent. Some good smart signings. 

Getting under the cap was something pretty much all of us knew would happen and knew how as well.

This is no magic trick. Solid moves, a lot of grinding. I don't see reason to be much more optimistic than you were a week ago. But a week ago there was excellent reason to be optimistic. The end of the season was crushing, but next year has looked good pretty much as soon as you got over that Cincy loss.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

Twelve months ago I'd have endorsed this take, but I am in a holding pattern on Beane's drafting this time around. And I was a big fan of his from day one.

He needs to assist his QB by dramatically improving the OL (McGovern is NOT enough) and then arming him with proper skill position threats. Above all else - he needs to get value out of his draft picks next month, which he has failed to do the last two drafts.

If he can do this, I will be back to driving the Beane bandwagon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I mean… Half the league had to get under the cap in the last 7 days. 
I didn’t expect a booming free agency but I wouldn’t say he’s “winning the offseason” either. 
I like Beane and I’m all for giving him his praises and accepting he’s had some ugly losses during his tenure. I don’t think we need to pat his back for anything yet this year. 

when has wining the off-season ever resulted in any real wining in the post season?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.