Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

This work by Beane is totally in keeping with the McBeane's process.   1. Maintain/upgrade talent, 2. don't go after shiny, expensive, aged bad boy FAs, 3. pull 2-3 starters out of the draft every year.   Maintain a great locker room / QB room culture (don't let any player feel like they are alone in WNY in December- make it a family)  He is doing exactly that again.   This team will be top 5 for years to come.   

Trust the Process.  It ain't flashy, but it works.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ProcessTruster said:

This work by Beane is totally in keeping with the McBeane's process.   1. Maintain/upgrade talent, 2. don't go after shiny, expensive, aged bad boy FAs, 3. pull 2-3 starters out of the draft every year.   Maintain a great locker room / QB room culture (don't let any player feel like they are alone in WNY in December- make it a family)  He is doing exactly that again.   This team will be top 5 for years to come.   

It would be nice if it could "work" its way to a Super Bowl championship at some point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I like Beane a lot and  think he has done a great job. But we as fans invest a lot of time, money, emotion into each and every season. I’m 43, I’m sure some here are older, younger whatever. We have an Elite Qb in Allen, now entering into year 6 and has to sniff an MVP or Super Bowl appearance. Why is that?

Diggs was openly candid about asking that very some question why the same thing is happening year after year?  It’s a fair question to ask what has held us back from reaching the big game. 

Now you have some  media raising the idea that Mcd is not the man.. I don’t know, I like Mcd but maybe hard decisions need to be made. 

I think I echo a lot of sentiments that the bar is now higher than trust process.  
We are better position that 90 percent of the league with just our Qb.. give him whatever the heck he wants or needs. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

All that Beane is a wizard, use your sorcery is starting to look more like black magic

Beane is good.  We’ll see about great… TBD

The wizardry was more fans not being used to having a rich owner. 

4 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I like Beane a lot and  think he has done a great job. But we as fans invest a lot of time, money, emotion into each and every season. I’m 43, I’m sure some here are older, younger whatever. We have an Elite Qb in Allen, now entering into year 6 and has to sniff an MVP or Super Bowl appearance. Why is that?

Diggs was openly candid about asking that very some question why the same thing is happening year after year?  It’s a fair question to ask what has held us back from reaching the big game. 

Now you have some  media raising the idea that Mcd is not the man.. I don’t know, I like Mcd but maybe hard decisions need to be made. 

I think I echo a lot of sentiments that the bar is now higher than trust process.  
We are better position that 90 percent of the league with just our Qb.. give him whatever the heck he wants or needs. 

Exactly. Don't get me wrong both Beane and McDermott have done a great job in turning the franchise around. But they need to own the recent playoff failures. Is the roster good enough (Beane) and is the coaching good enough (McDermott) to get us over the hump? Division will be a lot tougher this year with the Fins and Jets improving. Like you said the bar has been raised.

• Agree 1

Show me the baby!

right now I need to see Beane bring in difference makers.....   I need to see a great draft with drafted players actually making a big impact/impresion their rookie year

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Governor said:

Beane’s “body of work” hasn’t been good. He gets credit for Josh and that’s really it. Mostly misses from there on out and they were bad times to miss, as you can see. We needed those building blocks and struck out swinging. Some of these defensive picks will likely be out of the league 2 years from now. Some would probably be out of the league right now if they weren’t on our team. That’s bad.

The post I replied to was not anywhere near giving credit to Beane for bringing in Josh. Quite the opposite. I replied strictly to the insinuation that Beane is lucky to have Josh. That’s total 💩
Some of the mob loses their minds and keeps bringing up without Josh, we would be lucky to win 6 games. Tell that to Cincy, KC, Philly and any team with a top qb. Ok , we haven’t won a SB and the mob has the pitchforks out. But the idea that Beane is lucky to have Josh is just asinine. 
And now you reply to my post and take it somewhere I didn’t go. 
Nothing in your reply to me had anything to do with what I said. Nothing. The mob needs to calm the eff down.  You start spewing nonsense to me in response to my post. I know my response is rather lengthy, but the thread was meant to be a positive thread. But the mob takes over, even though there are plenty of negative threads to jump on. 
Just eff the positive threads, the mob is pissed.  like a bunch of selfish richards: “how dare anyone be positive hear at Toxic Bills Drive!? I’ll show you.”  
Positive posters have basically given up posting. Wonder why? Bunch of mad Richard heads always spewing venom at our positive threads, that’s why. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Cincinnati the past two seasons.  Philadelphia last year.  San Francisco.  What are we doing here?

When Mike Brown and John Lynch and crew are out-wizarding you, something's wrong.  

Maybe they're working on something, who knows, but early returns are not promising.  Reeks of more of the same packaged as different.  

• Agree 1

I don't understand the infatuation with players like Matakevich and Dodson as must haves, but I appreciate that he's a responsible steward of the free agent money.  The contracts he negotiates in free agency aren't absurdly long or above market salary wise.  We aren't doing Dockery/Walker free agent deals these days.    

I don't understand the infatuation with players like Matakevich and Dodson as must haves, but I appreciate that he's a responsible steward of the free agent money.  The contracts he negotiates in free agency aren't absurdly long or above market salary wise.  We aren't doing Dockery/Walker free agent deals these days.    

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Hope you're right. Top five for years to come?? We'll see are they top five now? Maybe.

16 hours ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

Honestly, maybe the best thing the Bills have going for them this year is the microscope being off from them on the national stage. Sure, there will be a few who pick them to do it. But it's not going to be this overwhelming wave of the highest expectation possible.

It'll be interesting to see if Edmunds ever eclipses the last year or so here in Buffalo. I definitely don't believe he's the top MLB, and to have to pay him that way would put this team in a bind. Yes, paying Milano who may be the best pass-focused LB out there makes sense. To me it seems that Edmunds' best qualities are more common amongst MLB's, and you could potentially find a guy who's value hasn't been enhanced by getting to play on Josh Allen-generated national TV.

Beane definitely has to get this draft right. Too many needs to be jerking around taking CB's whose stock has fallen.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the moves but nothing gets me totally excited.

I like the potential for McGovern and Deonte Harris.

I like that Bates probably moves back to LG where I think he's stronger and an upgrade over Saffold.  I anticipate McGovern is a better RG than Bates.  Bates IMO made his name as a LG in 2021.  I don't feel comfortable with Spencer Brown at RT.  We don't need a star RT but also don't need a liability like Brown is.

Jeremy White brought up a good point.  You have to be really, really special in something if you're a 5'6 and playing in the NFL.  

Looks like the Bills are giving him that shot to untap it.

We need another WR and I suspect we aren't done looking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I thought there might be some disagreement - but the way some are talking about Beane is disconnected, imo.

At minimum, he came into a franchise that was absolutely woeful for decades, and turned them into a top contender.

And we were in 2022. I keep saying it - but in the first couple of months, we were among the best, if not the best.  We looked great.  Miller elevated the play of so many guys on that D - Groot, Oliver, Epenesa.  We had a real pass rush.

We had a LOT of things go against us this past season. Injuries to Hyde & Miller, Phillips & Poyer playing hurt down the stretch, 2 blizzards, one relocation, a guy almost dying on the field in front of his teammates.  Winning a SB is about overcoming adversity, but it hit a tipping point (imo).  

Not much Beane can do about that. But he built a team we ALL thought could win a SB last year.  That has to count for something.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I thought there might be some disagreement - but the way some are talking about Beane is disconnected, imo.

At minimum, he came into a franchise that was absolutely woeful for decades, and turned them into a top contender.

And we were in 2022. I keep saying it - but in the first couple of months, we were among the best, if not the best.  We looked great.  Miller elevated the play of so many guys on that D - Groot, Oliver, Epenesa.  We had a real pass rush.

We had a LOT of things go against us this past season. Injuries to Hyde & Miller, Phillips & Poyer playing hurt down the stretch, 2 blizzards, one relocation, a guy almost dying on the field in front of his teammates.  Winning a SB is about overcoming adversity, but it hit a tipping point (imo).  

Not much Beane can do about that. But he built a team we ALL thought could win a SB last year.  That has to count for something.

My feeling is you may have over evaluated Beane in your OP. I like him and think he's above average even but you seem to think of him more highly than most I suspect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

My feeling is you may have over evaluated Beane in your OP. I like him and think he's above average even but you seem to think of him more highly than most I suspect.

In hindsight, "magic trick" was perhaps a poor choice of words.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.