Looks like the thug mentality of the Bengals comes from the top down

Draconator

Ohio state law requires all employers to provide workers compensation benefits to their employees, either through self-insurance or the state fund so likely Bengals owners believe they can pay less than Ohio charges but this would affect other athletes as well.  But if they have option to self-insure there is no need to change law for them to do it.

This feels like much ado about nothing.

I worked for an employer that changed our ability go in the red on PTO by 2 days instead of 5. Normally not the biggest deal. But we could not roll time over and our PTO reset on our start date. 

So if you started in October, November, December you basically could never take off for the holidays. 

Anyways HR always said “blame Cuomo for changing state law”. When they’d bring it up in company meetings I would always ask “does the state prevent you from providing more than the bare minimum, or is that a choice you’ve made?”.

Anyways, I have to imagine the CBA has its own language around workers comp right? RIGHT?!

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I worked for an employer that changed our ability go in the red on PTO by 2 days instead of 5. Normally not the biggest deal. But we could not roll time over and our PTO reset on our start date. 

So if you started in October, November, December you basically could never take off for the holidays. 

Anyways HR always said “blame Cuomo for changing state law”. When they’d bring it up in company meetings I would always ask “does the state prevent you from providing more than the bare minimum, or is that a choice you’ve made?”.

Anyways, I have to imagine the CBA has its own language around workers comp right? RIGHT?!

Probably is, but an email blast like that about a franchise notorious for not paying players isn’t ideal for them.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, SCBills said:

Probably is, but an email blast like that about a franchise notorious for not paying players isn’t ideal for them.  

Terrible. The Bengals are getting pretty good and their ownership lacks free cash flow compared to the rest of the league. Perfect timing for a (well deserved) public shaming

14 hours ago, chongli said:

Jesus. That’s bonkers. I’m legitimately shocked the NFLPA doesn’t have a comprehensive plan in place of state funded workers comp. 

Shame on the league. I know care for retired players has been tough to come by.  But I didn’t realize it was this tough.

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Mike Brown is about to write a check and put $150mm into an escrow account when he extends Burrow.  Things must be tight around the Brown house, and after looking under couch cushions for $150mm with no luck, he decided to try and save a buck on worker's comp insurance premiums instead.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mike Brown is about to write a check and put $150mm into an escrow account when he extends Burrow.  Things must be tight around the Brown house, and after looking under couch cushions for $150mm with no luck, he decided to try and save a buck on worker's comp insurance premiums instead.

as hilarious as this sounds on its face, given that we’re talking about an NFL owner, this ABSOLUTELY tracks and I would be unsurprised if true.

• Like (+1) 2

Workman's Comp coverage for an athlete making more than $100k per game is kind of ridiculous.  WC wasn't meant for application to the NFL or  highly paid workers in general.  Take the WC fund and use it for workers that really need  to tap that fund when injured on the job .  In the abstract,  I actually can see where the Bengals are coming from.   The WC fund is not a bottomless pool of $$.   The optics of this are really bad for the team and they should have considered that, but fundamentally their position makes some sense.   An NFL type workplace injury could drain the fund unnecessarily (bc the team/player has more than enough dough to pay) and the fund is designed/meant for the quadriplegic phone company worker making $20/hr with 4 kids 

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Workman's Comp coverage for an athlete making more than $100k per game is kind of ridiculous.  WC wasn't meant for application to the NFL or  highly paid workers in general.  Take the WC fund and use it for workers that really need  to tap that fund when injured on the job .  In the abstract,  I actually can see where the Bengals are coming from.   The WC fund is not a bottomless pool of $$.   The optics of this are really bad for the team and they should have considered that, but fundamentally their position makes some sense.   An NFL type workplace injury could drain the fund unnecessarily (bc the team/player has more than enough dough to pay) and the fund is designed/meant for the quadriplegic phone company worker making $20/hr with 4 kids 

Yeah the important optics are that it's something that ownership has to pay for though.    NYSIF charges a figure based on per $100 paid to employee.......so essentially a tax rate.    It's significant........it's in the millions in annual contributions that an NFL team has to make and I'd expect it to be more like 8 figures given the high risk nature of the job.   You have to offer an alternative privately funded option if you are taking it away though.   

I've been perplexed how this notoriously frugal franchise has been able to steal some free agents that the Bills were also interested in.    DJ Reader in particular.   Why do players sign on with that team?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Typical behavior of one percenters to do what they can to make others lives more difficult, 

• Eyeroll 1

Well they are contract employees or contract labor as we use to say & although i never made the kind of money they make being contract labor we use to get a 10/99 at the end of the year for tax purposes & such & health ins. was also on us so this doesn't really surprise me .

One would think that all of that would be laid out by the NFLPA when they did their main talks for the players but must be some kind of loop hole they are trying to exploit which i would think is not going to make the players happy in any way .

10 hours ago, Mango said:

I have unlimited PTO so I can't relate to this

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The "others" are also one percenters.

Not as one percent as the owner 😂

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Typical behavior of one percenters to do what they can to make others lives more difficult, 

If it was typical we would all be having our workers compenstation taken away. Since this seems to be a unique situation (even among the 32 NFL teams) it is actually the opposite of typical. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

If it was typical we would all be having our workers compenstation taken away. Since this seems to be a unique situation (even among the 32 NFL teams) it is actually the opposite of typical. 

It’s typical that it’s a one percenter that would do this…, 

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

Your level of envy is amazingingly high. Are you actually green colored? 

Lol, 

I am so envious that I spend my winters on my sailboat in the Bahamas 🇧🇸 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2023 at 10:20 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the important optics are that it's something that ownership has to pay for though.    NYSIF charges a figure based on per $100 paid to employee.......so essentially a tax rate.    It's significant........it's in the millions in annual contributions that an NFL team has to make and I'd expect it to be more like 8 figures given the high risk nature of the job.   You have to offer an alternative privately funded option if you are taking it away though.   

I've been perplexed how this notoriously frugal franchise has been able to steal some free agents that the Bills were also interested in.    DJ Reader in particular.   Why do players sign on with that team?

In Ohio the only options are the state fund and companies self insuring. The state does not allow any competition from carriers.

Workers’ compensation prevents workers from suing employers for injuries sustained on the job. While that legal avenue is fraught with roadblocks I’m not sure how the Bengals would be able to avoid litigation in the future. Maybe through clauses in the contracts they offer? This seems like a tough and volatile way to claw back some money - especially by a team that got an unbelievably good deal from the county on their last stadium deal and is getting handed a $400M check at the start of this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2023 at 12:01 AM, boyst said:

Wow this seems like fair reporting 🤣🤣

Fair? It's called the truth... either they are stripping it away or they aren't, and they are trying to. This state is a cesspool of the worst kinds of people and I can't wait to leave.

"The Bengals are self-insured and do not draw from the workers' compensation fund distributed by the state. But should state law be altered, it could also limit the amount the team is liable to distribute in cases of permanent partial disability that deal with workplace injuries."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35845344/bengals-aim-alter-worker-comp-laws-ohio-nflpa-says

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Fair? It's called the truth... either they are stripping it away or they aren't, and they are trying to. This state is a cesspool of the worst kinds of people and I can't wait to leave.

"The Bengals are self-insured and do not draw from the workers' compensation fund distributed by the state. But should state law be altered, it could also limit the amount the team is liable to distribute in cases of permanent partial disability that deal with workplace injuries."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35845344/bengals-aim-alter-worker-comp-laws-ohio-nflpa-says

So.... Move to ny, Cali, mass, jersey, Michigan, or Washington. 

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

One of those evil one percenters yourself ehh?

Ya see I’m not rich by any measure,  being wealthy is not an issue, being wealthy and being a dick to others is no Bueno, 

Edited by Don Otreply

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.