Here come the restructures

78thealltimegreat

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I can get that far.

Where I get lost is the $7M out after the 2024 season and the Bills no longer having Von on the roster or the books at all after that. 

Does restructuring ensure Von is on the books for 5 more years? Or does it just up the buy out cost?

He’s pretty much locked up for 2 possibly 3 more seasons.  After that they can get out but it will come with some dead money 

51 minutes ago, Mango said:

I can get that far.

Where I get lost is the $7M out after the 2024 season and the Bills no longer having Von on the roster or the books at all after that. 

Does restructuring ensure Von is on the books for 5 more years? Or does it just up the buy out cost?

It just ups the dead money when they part ways. That $7M will increase substantially. If Von is cut before the 2025 season I expect him to be designated a June 1st cut. That would push some dead cap to the following season. So yeah, if that happens he will be on the books for 5 total years - 3 seasons he plays plus 2 years with dead money. 

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It just ups the dead money when they part ways. That $7M will increase substantially. If Von is cut before the 2025 season I expect him to be designated a June 1st cut. That would push some dead cap to the following season. So yeah, if that happens he will be on the books for 5 total years - 3 seasons he plays plus 2 years with dead money. 

That’s what I thought. But I wasn’t sure.

IMHO restructuring 34 year old Von after a second ACL injury to keep him on the books for 5 years is wildly short sighted. 

Our roster is in the middle of a mild reset with money tight against the cap for 2 years. Von is a contract you want to get off the books at the right time. Not a contract you want to use to borrow from the future.

55 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

He’s pretty much locked up for 2 possibly 3 more seasons.  After that they can get out but it will come with some dead money 

I get that part. That’s easy. At the time of signing Miller at his value part of the upside was the cheap get out after year 3. Which is why I’m looking for confirmation on what happens with a restructure.

I thought it would significantly increase rhe $7M buy out and possibly keep Miller on the books for 5 years. Somebody smarter than me seems to also think that is the case. Which seems wildly irresponsible. 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

That’s what I thought. But I wasn’t sure.

IMHO restructuring 34 year old Von after a second ACL injury to keep him on the books for 5 years is wildly short sighted. 

Our roster is in the middle of a mild reset with money tight against the cap for 2 years. Von is a contract you want to get off the books at the right time. Not a contract you want to use to borrow from the future.

So ideally where, in a perfect setting, would you be taking space from? Looking at the contracts for the next few years I concur that tight is the appropriate phrase. Not much wiggle room without rearranging numbers that sit atop of the pile. 

14 hours ago, Draconator said:

But isn't it generally true that if you at least attempt to speak the native language, the locals treat you with more respect than if you just start blurring out stuff in English?

100% correct in my experience too.

Been to Paris and made a regional side trip twice. Any attempt in French opened up the English pretty quickly. 'Bon jour. Parlez-vous anglais? Je suis Américaine. just that simple, the accent and the fact you were American or Canadian opened up the English if it was known, or helpful points and gestures.

I would guess about 2/3 of Parisians speak some level of English. Get 20-30 minutes outside of Paris and that might drop to 1/3 at best - so if Augie plans on being anywhere outside of Paris it will help.

I found myself stuck in a tiny rail side town between Paris and Chantilly on the weekend and the train I was on was not going all the way to Chantilly. Whoops. The only people around to help were the local les habitants. An 80 year old man who probably hadn't spoke much English since the Allies rolled through in liberation was dead set to help us out once he realized we were Americans, but he did not speak English, and we had a few years of classes between us. We made it to Chantilly.

Same held true in India.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Almost a no brainer to spread Millers roster bonus over 4 years for the cap savings this year.  Even with the injury, $52m over 3 years wasn’t exorbitant plus he helps recruit other free agents.  If we end up with $14m in total dead money spread over 2025 and 2026 ($7m each year) when the cap is projected to be upwards of $300m, you’re talking less than 2.5% of the cap.  

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Well, what glaring need do you see for that matter? What glaring need did you see last year?

Not if they treat out of the first

2022 CB Elam - Let Wallace walk and spent free agency money on Miller

2021 DE Rousseau - was there any position more in need than DE?

2020 WR - Trade for Diggs - WR group was the worst in NFL

2019 DT - Oliver - Kyle Williams retired

2018 QB and MLB 

2017 CB - Let Gilmore leave draft White (McD not Beane)

Literally every year he drafts for need because there is a hole to fill yet people on here seem to think otherwise.  

This year will be no different except there are more holes to fill. He will draft OL or WR early after signing a veteran to play MLB and moving Benfird to safety

• Like (+1) 1

Aren't we waiting on cuts and salary reductions as well?  I would have thought that information about releases would have happened by now given that the Bills seem like the kind of organization that would want to give cut players the best opportunity to sign elsewhere, which would be before or as the free agency period begins.

17 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Aren't we waiting on cuts and salary reductions as well?  I would have thought that information about releases would have happened by now given that the Bills seem like the kind of organization that would want to give cut players the best opportunity to sign elsewhere, which would be before or as the free agency period begins.

The best players leaving this year just happen to be free agents - Edmunds and Poyer so no salary cuts needed. 

Also they really don't have anyone to cut for salary savings except maybe Morse or Dawkins. And the OL is the worst unit on the team. So I see restructures and letting some expensive guys walk as the only way to get cap money to spend later. 

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

2022 CB Elam - Let Wallace walk and spent free agency money on Miller

2021 DE Rousseau - was there any position more in need than DE?

2020 WR - Trade for Diggs - WR group was the worst in NFL

2019 DT - Oliver - Kyle Williams retired

2018 QB and MLB 

2017 CB - Let Gilmore leave draft White (McD not Beane)

Literally every year he drafts for need because there is a hole to fill yet people on here seem to think otherwise.  

I agree.

Flip side of that is that our OL has had holes every single one of those 6 years listed but we've yet to spend a single first round pick at the position and have only spent one day two pick at the position over those six years I believe. 

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I truly think they are eyeing safety in the first.

Yikes!

• Like (+1) 1

Spreading Von’s dead money to later years, should he not play past year 3, is what it is …

We have a ton of contracts we’ll be able to get out of in the next few years as well.  Diggs, White, Hyde, Milano, Morse, Dawkins, Oliver etc., all those guys will be coming off the books and/or could come off the books by the time the dead cap hits hit for Von.  

A few mil spread into those years isn’t a big deal at all … IF Beane starts drafting better. 

Edited by SCBills

I agree that there are not a lot of players that are cut candidates, but I thought that McKenzie, Settle, Neal and Hines would at least be considerations for release or possibly salary reductions.  Other possibility was contract extensions.  Nothing about this either.  Very quiet at OBD.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Beane never goes into the Draft with a glaring hole in the roster.  He will work free agency like he does every year to fill the holes in the roster and walk into the Draft able to go in any direction.  That's his MO.

come on

12 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

its not like any of this was not expected. The unexpected will be Dawkins, White, Digs, Milano. 

White could bounce back and play at a pro-bowl level .. he could also look more like last years version. 

Id wait before I do anything with his contract.  

We could very well have a dominant secondary if White bounces back, Elam gets his footing, Hyde returns to form and we have adequate play at the other Safety spot.  Taron is always very good in the nickel spot.  

White & Hyde could also be irreversibly diminished.  

Doing anything with White’s contract, to me, is way too risky. 

Just trade Oliver and extend Daquan Jones.  That’s a much safer, and far more effective way to free up similar cap space. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.