McDermott wants a ‘nastier edge’ to his Defense post Frazier

Chandler#81

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I'm sure he is as long as we spend major resources upgrading our D this offseason

I got a sinking feeling we are going to short arm the O upgrades most of us view and way past due

We absolutely can't short arm offensive additions this offseason.  McD will just have to be frugal and creative in finding defensive guys. 75% of this draft/ FA MUST be offense with emphasis on OL/ WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think it's less about spin than seeing that teams with the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Chris Jones, and Frank Clark get to Super Bowls. The Bills don't have that sort of guy, and McDermott DID have guys like that in Carolina in 2013 (his best defense ever). The problem is that Greg Hardy was a violent criminal. But the Carolina defense that year was utterly awesome. I honestly think that the Carolina folks were traumatized by that event and have tried to avoid guys like that. That may be going out the window now. It brings benefits, but there are real risks too.  

As others have noted, why does it take 6 off-seasons for this to understand?  Was the "process" that ensued in 2017-19 incapable of meshing the "trust" preached by the HC and having guys who are bully-types?

It seems a little too convenient now, and yes it carries risk...which is what happens when your scheme/personnel choices have not succeeded.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Quite possibly, but has it ever been made clear, other than in passing remarks during pressers, that LF was really the "brains" behind the D?  I'm not sure it has, everything about how this team runs appears to be shrouded in at least some level of secrecy.  

Either way, 6 years in ... 

Hard saying, but LF started for the 1985 Bears, you would think he knows something about physical football.

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

I've drafted Lukas Van Ness with our 1st round pick on occasion in mock drafts. I think he's going to be a stud. With Von being older and coming off of injury, along with A.J. playing out his last year on contract, it's a need. I also think this is Von's last year with us. That would basically leave us with Groot and Boogie after next season.

Beane mentioned Benford as a safety a few times. I think he'll be a good one. Plus the versatility is helpful if a CB is injured. 

Yeah, let’s get mean & nasty with Lukas Van Ness.

image.thumb.jpeg.063de6345489e0510235213e708debff.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

It's one thing to talk about it but they need to do a better job at identifying more physical and aggressive Defensive players in the draft.  I really enjoyed the 30 for 30 on the 2000 Ravens and came away from it thinking this Defense could use a few nut jobs on it.  

5 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I actually think Benford will be a very good safety… but personally have a hard time moving him because he showed flashes of being an above average CB. 

we need to play a more aggressive man corner vs our previous 10 yards off the LOS zone on 3rd and 3.

moving benford to safety better suits his skill set vs playing him as man bump n run corner

42 minutes ago, Rico said:

Hard saying, but LF started for the 1985 Bears, you would think he knows something about physical football.

Indeed, which further raises questions as to what's really going on behind the scenes regarding coaching.  At the end of the day we simply don't know, McD has never made it clear.  

I do think that fans are growing tired of this secretive approach yet lacking the required results.  Notice we haven't heard much about "The Process" anymore.  

50 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

As others have noted, why does it take 6 off-seasons for this to understand?  Was the "process" that ensued in 2017-19 incapable of meshing the "trust" preached by the HC and having guys who are bully-types?

It seems a little too convenient now, and yes it carries risk...which is what happens when your scheme/personnel choices have not succeeded.  

They bet it all on that First Window (2020-2022).

It failed and they didn’t win.

Since they are all still in their positions, they have to say Something and attempt to re-brand.

58 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Why?  I’ll say it again: coaching is almost always a symptom of ownership’s level of urgency, for better or worse.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

we need to play a more aggressive man corner vs our previous 10 yards off the LOS zone on 3rd and 3.

moving benford to safety better suits his skill set vs playing him as man bump n run corner

I think he's alright in press coverage, the challenge is his foot speed and acceleration out of breaks will be tested.  

Elam prefers press man, and probably will be the boundary corner to follow. 

Tre is an overall good corner with no real weakness in his game other than probably deep ball tracking.  Teams tested him when we started playing more man, and he just wasn't up to the task.  He also seemed to lack some confidence down the stretch. 

Dane is an OK zone corner, but he was just a touch late all year long.  Its gotta be so frustrating to know that like... you're there.  You read the route right, you know what you need to do, but you can't break it up.  

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The defense is good very good but the scheme needs to take on a different dimension in the playoffs. This zone scheme works so well against mid level or lower QB’s but against elite QB’s in the playoffs they need some other way to play.

The goal originally was pressure - but teams are content to throw underneath against us.  Good coaches then have plans for our defense on 3rd downs.  Reid will isolate you with kelce, bunch, motion, and just find ways to kill you.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Dane is an OK zone corner, but he was just a touch late all year long.  Its gotta be so frustrating to know that like... you're there.  You read the route right, you know what you need to do, but you can't break it up.  

Not sure it was so much about being a touch late, more that he just had some fantastic catches made on him where he did literally nothing wrong. There was a stretch in the middle of the year where it was one a game and honestly, he couldn't have done much about them. Played the route perfectly, sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say "the other guy gets paid too." There are physical limitations with Dane and they will always be there but he only gave up 59% completion, 3 touchdowns and an 82 passer rating when targeted and that is even with those freak plays against him. 

In an ideal world he is our third corner in 2023, Tre comes back to form, Kaiir takes a step forward and you have Dane as a reliable backup. But I think he took more heat off some fans than he deserved in 2022. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

Pitchforks and knives will be out in full force if the Bills draft any defensive player in the 1st round. Besides I am more interested in who Beane (the guy who has the final say with the draft per TP) is going to draft. 

Then get ‘em ready.

MLB or Safety…. Bank on it

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure it was so much about being a touch late, more that he just had some fantastic catches made on him where he did literally nothing wrong. There was a stretch in the middle of the year where it was one a game and honestly, he couldn't have done much about them. Played the route perfectly, sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say "the other guy gets paid too." There are physical limitations with Dane and they will always be there but he only gave up 59% completion, 3 touchdowns and an 82 passer rating when targeted and that is even with those freak plays against him. 

In an ideal world he is our third corner in 2023, Tre comes back to form, Kaiir takes a step forward and you have Dane as a reliable backup. But I think he took more heat off some fans than he deserved in 2022. 

I felt like similarly - Tre had a bunch of PI penalties last year, and i felt like there were several bad calls against him.  Just bad luck all around at times for them.  

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

If ya can’t beat ‘em, Beat ‘em Up! A bigger challenge if we don’t have Poyer and Edmunds, but a change I’d really like to see. Bend but don’t beak keeps the opponent in the game and our 3 regular season loses were a result of this. Offenses have such an advantage today that kickin’ the crap out of them becomes a necessity!

🤡🤡

It's been his team and his Defense all along.  Why is this some sort of revelation?  His Defenses in Carolina were very nasty with a bully mentality, so why was this not the way of things from the get go?!?!  The problem wasn't with Frazier, the problem rests with Sean.  You have to look under the hood to "solve the problem in the engine"

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.