McDermott wants a ‘nastier edge’ to his Defense post Frazier

Chandler#81

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Pitchforks and knives will be out in full force if the Bills draft any defensive player in the 1st round. Besides I am more interested in who Beane (the guy who has the final say with the draft per TP) is going to draft. 

TP?? Toilet Paper? 🤔  Is that where you’re getting your information from? Cuz Terry Pegula has no clue who to Draft. He pays McBeane to do this work.

Edited by Chandler#81

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

TP?? Toilet Paper? 🤔  Is that where you’re getting your information from! Cuz Terry Pegula has no clue who to Draft. He pays McBeane to do this work.

Terry does know how his team is run. In an interview when they were first hired, he said both men report to him Sean has final say on the coaching/football side of things and Brandon does with the roster building with FA/draft. Just repeating what Terry said in that interview. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, london_bills said:

Forget the Nastier edge defence, make the offence better!! Nastier OL

Exactly this, It’s as if Sean can’t see the forest through the trees, O-line Sean, O-line…, you can’t go forward without protecting the most likely reason you may win the championship…, 

I will at present chock this up to rah rah coach-ism stuff, one can only hope so anyways…,

Sadly though,  I’m thinking that it will be another D-line guy in the first round…

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Exactly this, It’s as if Sean can’t see the forest through the trees, O-line Sean, O-line…, you can’t go forward without protecting the most likely reason you may win the championship…, 

I will at present chock this up to rah rah coach-ism stuff, one can only hope so anyways…,

Sadly though,  I’m thinking that it will be another D-line guy in the first round…

Well, it it’s BPA…

Just now, BobbyC81 said:

Well, it it’s BPA…

all draft pick are for a perceived need, that will never change, 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I think it was the ucl injury.  Our O will be fine , injuries aside. 

But I love this mentality from McD. He's evolving 

Talk is cheap this time of year and McD is adept at saying something that in reality means nothing.  I will believe he's evolving when the organization devotes more to the offense than cheap 1 year UFA deals, more over-drafted RBs, and late round flyers on offensive line/skill talent.  

35 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Terry does know how his team is run. In an interview when they were first hired, he said both men report to him Sean has final say on the coaching/football side of things and Brandon does with the roster building with FA/draft. Just repeating what Terry said in that interview. 

I've seen reports the Pegula's later regretted somewhat ceding so much control over the Bills to McBeane.  And consider why...McD took the job after the Pegula's had witnessed so much dysfunction from the Rex/Whaley years.  It's no surprise the HC used that opportunity to have so much authority.  Besides, ownership had already been through 2 HC's in less than 3 years of ownership.  

That said, unless Beane is as big a fan of defense, I don't see how anyone can deduce 5 of 7 RD1 picks used there as anything but the HC shaping the draft board to his preference for that side of the ball. 

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I disagree with the HC. the first half of the year what we were doing is shorter passing. and it was working great... no one really stopped that style of play... I think the OC made mid-season adjustments that adversely affected this offense. 

McD is not going to throw him under the bus but I feel we all saw it.

I think the only game where we had shorter passing was the opener.  We went downfield a lot in game #2 against the Titans.

We went short too much where Allen after the Lions game that going deep is good...I knew he was going to be aggressive the rest of the year.

I'm up and down on how I feel about it.  Yes, Allen should have on multiple occasions take the underneath throw to convert the first instead of picking up 30.  However, I believe the majority of the time, that deep WR was open.  

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

Why are you so adamant about Benford moving to safety? The kid showed a bit at corner so why waste THAT development and have him adjust to safety?

Hyde will be back, Hamlin is questionable but I suppose they could bring back Marlowe and Johnson. 

Draft or sign an ACTUAL safety.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

I actually think Benford will be a very good safety… but personally have a hard time moving him because he showed flashes of being an above average CB. 

I've drafted Lukas Van Ness with our 1st round pick on occasion in mock drafts. I think he's going to be a stud. With Von being older and coming off of injury, along with A.J. playing out his last year on contract, it's a need. I also think this is Von's last year with us. That would basically leave us with Groot and Boogie after next season.

Beane mentioned Benford as a safety a few times. I think he'll be a good one. Plus the versatility is helpful if a CB is injured. 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Why are you so adamant about Benford moving to safety? The kid showed a bit at corner so why waste THAT development and have him adjust to safety?

Hyde will be back, Hamlin is questionable but I suppose they could bring back Marlowe and Johnson. 

Draft or sign an ACTUAL safety.

Im not adamant on Benford to Safety.  I’m one of the guys that stayed it’s a bigger leap than most think going from CB to S.  I said he’s had some college experience and may work, but it’s a big “if”.

If it works out, great, but if not I’m fine with his development at CB.

don’t read and infer things I haven’t said.  I am much more

measured in my opinions on this team.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

If ya can’t beat ‘em, Beat ‘em Up! A bigger challenge if we don’t have Poyer and Edmunds, but a change I’d really like to see. Bend but don’t beak keeps the opponent in the game and our 3 regular season loses were a result of this. Offenses have such an advantage today that kickin’ the crap out of them becomes a necessity!

This reminds me of "building a bully" aspirations of the painful Rex Ryan era. I am kinda surprised McD saying it well into his career.

Also, it worries me that he is softening us for another D heavy draft which will be extremely frustrating and deflating. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What happened to the last guy who said they were "going to build a bully"?

Jeez, he might as well have opened with ""Is this thing on? Because it's getting ready to be on".

There's nothing nasty about this Defense.

It’s about as nasty as a roadside mattress. 

• Haha (+1) 4

5 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'm 50/50 on the offense.  I think Allen's injury was more significant than we believed but also we need some upgrades at WR and OL to help Allen out.  Too dependent on Allen last season.

After hearing the doctor explanations as to why he likely was throwing deep so often after that injury it makes sense...easier throws for the arm to make due to the angle and putting less stress on that area of the elbow due to trajectory.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Bengals exposed the softness of this defense in both games. Was pathetic watching an offense physically manhandle a defense like that.   Milano is really our only guy that consistently brings violence on every hit.  Hamlin too before his unfortunate situation.  Maybe they’re coached to think too much rather than seek and hit.  Maybe there’s too many vets on that side of ball who’ve been paid and wanna walk away from the game without permanent injury.  And all the injuries and the Hamlin episode certainly didn’t help in terms of getting the defense to play more physical.  

50 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Talk is cheap this time of year and McD is adept at saying something that in reality means nothing.  I will believe he's evolving when the organization devotes more to the offense than cheap 1 year UFA deals, more over-drafted RBs, and late round flyers on offensive line/skill talent.  

Ya know, entirely on point here.  Although I think that it's worse than nothing, he might have been better to not have said anything here.  

Otherwise, he's had 6 seasons now to install his version of whatever it is he wants.  In addition to passively throwing Frasier under the bus here, it's taken him what, 6 seasons to figure out what he wants?  If so, was he really the best hire to begin with.  I shudder to think of where we'd be right now on his watch without Allen.  Peterman probably would have been starting two seasons, then they would have likely drafted another QB in 2019 with Murray, Jones, Haskins, and Lock being the "prizes" there.  

LIstening to that he says "... and sometimes when you're a new coordinator and your fastball's out there and they know it, and people adjust, so let's give credit to the opponent and some of the defenses we faced middle to end of the year.  But that said, there's, to me a chance to improve and adjust to what we've done."  

Seriously?  He says that if in-season adjustments are difficult to undertake.  Is there any sense in even mentioning in-game adjustments.  

Let's simply give our defensive opponents credit for outplaying us.  Nice job guys!!  (speaking to our opponent defenses and defensive players and coaches.)   

And while he's figuring it out for next season, other coaches are changing up their ways too and are clearly much better at in-game/in-season adjustments where we rank poorly and have on McD's watch.  

Brings to mind the "He's a tough one!" scene from My Cousin Vinny.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.