Rip the BandAid off

Iraq Vet

Yes restructure JA17 contract.  But it is time to make a few cuts or trades.  Restructuring always hurts in the long run.  I am not suggesting huge cuts and a full rebuild. 

We did not make the Super Bowl.  But JA17 will be here a while, so I am willing to make few cuts.  Just so we have an opportunity to a quick creation of long term cap space.  

Trades

M Hyde is very tradeable. and getting up there in age.  Hamlin will be back.

ED Oliver will get us a huge trade, he is a nice player, but we need the room. 

AJ Epenesa he is Eric Flowers.  All potential that is never realized.  We will get a 4th rounder.

Mitch Morris... injury prone.  I don't want to cut him or Restructure. We will get 5th. (too much dead money)

Easy restructures or new contracts

Reggie Gilliam.... add a year and restructure ( or a flat out cut)

Dion Dawkins a mild restructure

Tre White Mild restructure

Spencer Brown..  (I believe he will be great one day, lock him in now)

Nyhiem Hines.. full restructure and add a year. 

Cuts

Isaiah Mckenzie (or a long term low pay restructure  instead of cutting)

Siran Neal... nice player.. but way over paid... there are nice Safeties in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 5
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Dislike 5

Hyde: At 32 and coming off a serious injury, would get us a 6th, maybe.

Ed: I agree if the compensation is right.

AJE: Disagree, he actually had a nice season and stepped up when Avon went down. 

Morse: Disagree-ish, that opens another hole with a weak OL FA class. 

Reggie - Great FB, no not cut just use him.

Dawkins - Decent chance he’s restructured

Tre - Wasn’t he already restructured once? That’s just kicking guaranteed money down the line.

Brown - Has a long way to go to earn that extension.

Hynes - Very possible his deal is restructured 

McK - Agree, won’t be right away

Neal - I’d be surprised 

Restructuring Allen and Von’s deals are almost guaranteed. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

Yes restructure JA17 contract.  But it is time to make a few cuts or trades.  Restructuring always hurts in the long run.  I am not suggesting huge cuts and a full rebuild. 

We did not make the Super Bowl.  But JA17 will be here a while, so I am willing to make few cuts.  Just so we have an opportunity to a quick creation of long term cap space.  

Trades

AJ Epenesa he is Eric Flowers.  All potential that is never realized.  We will get a 4th rounder.

Mitch Morris... injury prone.  I don't want to cut him or Restructure. We will get 5th. (too much dead money)

Cuts

Siran Neal... nice player.. but way over paid... there are nice Safeties in the draft. 

I agree with just about all of this. But I would keep Mitch Morse, at least for another year. Good centers and interior lineman are hard to find. Staart by finding 1 more solid guard and tackle then look for a replacement at center.

And Gilliam? I'll go with the flat out cut. Not enough contribution. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

I laugh at how you think you can force another team to trade with you, and give you what you want in return.

There are plenty of contracts that could be restructured and there is something to be said about continuity. 

Bills already have 24 free agents ; trading and cutting so many more could backfire.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I like Morse a lot, but if the staff has any future plans of moving Bates to Center, I'd start that transition immediately and make sure we sign, and draft, a stud LG & RG to start the revamp of our IOL.  If they don't, then maybe we should keep him and address C next year in the draft. 

Ed Oliver needs to be traded.  I honestly think it's FO malpractice to keep him, with his cap hit, on this team.  We could really use the 10.5M elsewhere, we could really use an extra draft pick or two and we have zero DT's under contract for '24.  Extend Daquan Jones and either sign or draft a legit DT to start next to him on a multi-year/rookie contract.

I'd keep Hyde.  I firmly believe we should let Poyer and Edmunds walk, so having Hyde back there as a vet presence is worthwhile.   

I'd also keep AJE.  He's a solid rotational DE.  Not what we hoped he would be, but he's good enough to be a rotational piece on this Defense.  I'd probably be ok with him getting a second contract here as DE4 to be honest. 

Spencer Brown has so much potential.  I also believe we need to see it through with him.  That also means making sure LT-LG-C-RG are above average players so he can be the up and down piece until he, hopefully, figures it out. 

Agree on McKenzie and Neal.  There's no room anymore to pay legitimate money to fringe/ST guys. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3

To the OP: Just curious...how do you "restructure" a current player's exisiting contract if they don't want to, and just say (to the Bills' front office), "Nah, I'm good, dog."? Or are you saying if they aren't willing to restructure, just Cut them?

37 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

Trades

Cuts

I'm in on trading Oliver he hasn't lived up to his draft status & is inconsistent with out someone else on the D line to help him out Mckenzie i would cut there are a ton of guys out there just like him fast & inconsistent that you can get in the draft for less money & could have a bigger upside .

Neal seeing as he has versatility being that of ST's, corner & safety his contract is much easier to see as a more useful part of cap money & could be a good player to have around seeing as the amount of safety's on the team as of now is low & he knows the D unless it changes now .

Gilliam i can see if utilized in a much better way with in the scheme he has shown that he can be a outlet for Josh & has good hands pls is a good blocker when needed in the back field or for a lead blocker so he also has some versatility which makes his contract look to be better than a player that only has 1 thing to offer .

I hate that Morse is in the position he is given his concussions but the Bills definitely need someone that can take his place & there are a few in the draft that look like they have that potential so i hope they draft his replacement because i think he is one hit away from retirement if he's thinking of life after football .

Edited by T master

Sorry but as others have pointed out your value is just terrible. You’ll have to take the homer glasses off and realize the players listed do not carry much value. 
Beane would be lucky to snag a 5th rounder for anyone you mentioned. 
Oliver has not shown anything that another team is going to trade anything good for him AND have to give him a shiny new contract. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hamlin is terrible; Oliver will not bring back much at all.

Not sure you'll get a 4th for Epenessa, that seems hopeful.

We're in a bit of a bind, and our way out of it will be to do some brilliant drafting.

Not sure we have it in us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Hamlin is terrible; Oliver will not bring back much at all.

Not sure you'll get a 4th for Epenessa, that seems hopeful.

We're in a bit of a bind, and our way out of it will be to do some brilliant drafting.

Not sure we have it in us.

Hamlin won't be back any time soon!! 

14 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

No one is trading for Mitch Morse or Micah Hyde given their injury history

No one is giving up a 4th rounder for AJ Epenesa.  Maybe a 6th or 7th

If a team wants Ed Oliver, they will wait a year for him to hit Free Agency

Some people obviously do not know how trades work, they act like it's Madden.  The OP is so far off

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Sorry but as others have pointed out your value is just terrible. You’ll have to take the homer glasses off and realize the players listed do not carry much value. 
Beane would be lucky to snag a 5th rounder for anyone you mentioned. 
Oliver has not shown anything that another team is going to trade anything good for him AND have to give him a shiny new contract. 

I tend to trust, somewhat, what the guys over at Cover 1 say... and they seem to think, based on talking to others in different markets, that Oliver brings back a Day 2 pick and a Day 3 pick. 

I'd trade him for simply a 4th, but he does seem to have some value. 

1 hour ago, Iraq Vet said:

I just love this line of thinking.....”this guy is a worthless, piece of junk player....we will get a fourth round pick for him!”

Cone on, man!🙄

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I like Morse a lot, but if the staff has any future plans of moving Bates to Center, I'd start that transition immediately and make sure we sign, and draft, a stud LG & RG to start the revamp of our IOL.  If they don't, then maybe we should keep him and address C next year in the draft. 

Ed Oliver needs to be traded.  I honestly think it's FO malpractice to keep him, with his cap hit, on this team.  We could really use the 10.5M elsewhere, we could really use an extra draft pick or two and we have zero DT's under contract for '24.  Extend Daquan Jones and either sign or draft a legit DT to start next to him on a multi-year/rookie contract.

I'd keep Hyde.  I firmly believe we should let Poyer and Edmunds walk, so having Hyde back there as a vet presence is worthwhile.   

I'd also keep AJE.  He's a solid rotational DE.  Not what we hoped he would be, but he's good enough to be a rotational piece on this Defense.  I'd probably be ok with him getting a second contract here as DE4 to be honest. 

Spencer Brown has so much potential.  I also believe we need to see it through with him.  That also means making sure LT-LG-C-RG are above average players so he can be the up and down piece until he, hopefully, figures it out. 

Agree on McKenzie and Neal.  There's no room anymore to pay legitimate money to fringe/ST guys. 

Oliver has been okay, a 5/10. He flashes here and there, and is steady most other times.

Beane said there is more meat on the bone for growth. Problem is, that should have happened this year. Because now he's on a 5th year option, and if you're not going to extend him, you don't get the $10.5M in cap space. I think a decent FA DT could replace his production, and there is no getting around his size, it limits him. 

If he improves this season, then you're right back to a dilemma about whether to hand him a 2nd contract. Yet another defensive player getting a 2nd contract. 

I would keep Epenesa just so that the team is not tempted to take another draft asset (especially R1, R2, R3) and pour it into the defensive line.  

This team has 6 picks right now with needs all over the offensive line starter and depth, WR, S, LB, we're weak at backup QB, there is no #2 TE on this team.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.