Looks like Poyer is more than willing to leave and play for Miami of all places.

Tipster19

5 minutes ago, balln said:

Ooof. I always wonder. Do the bills have to overpay bc of New York taxes. Why isn’t there an adjustment for teams for cap. Seems like a competitive advantage for teams in states w forgiving tax laws

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

• Agree 2

Poyer is done. He’s played great for us, a true warrior. 

But he’s an aging vet playing through multiple injuries who’s looking to get paid. I get it from his point of view, but unless he comes back on a somewhat team friendly deal I can’t see us retaining him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 13

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

To keep it simple, NY state income tax is 10.9%, Florida is 0.  That's a pretty significant difference

• Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

To keep it simple, NY state income tax is 10.9%, Florida is 0.  That's a pretty significant difference

I'm sure at this point in his career he wants to go to a team he thinks has a shot at winning it all. He played against Miami 3xs this year. Read between the lines. 

A Poyer on a Miami team certainly bolsters their chances to dethrone the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are 50 different income state tax codes. They range from a top rate of zero percent in several states to 13.3% in California.  In NYS the state income tax on $10MM would 964,000.  I Florida, it would be zero.  That might make a difference in decision making. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I'm sure at this point in his career he wants to go to a team he thinks has a shot at winning it all. He played against Miami 3xs this year. Read between the lines. 

They was very close to doing it last year

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think Poyer is walking because he thinks Miami is better than Buffalo. He is walking because the Bills don't want to pay him. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 20

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

There are 50 different income state tax codes. They range from a top rate of zero percent in several states to 13.3% in California.  In NYS the state income tax on $10MM would 964,000.  I Florida, it would be zero.  That might make a difference in decision making. 

I wonder how roster bonuses and signing bonuses get taxed by state.  If they have residence in Florida - I wonder if thats zero tax.

4 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

I wonder how roster bonuses and signing bonuses get taxed by state.  If they have residence in Florida - I wonder if thats zero tax.

It is taxed based on where you earn the Money.  NYS certainly taxes the bonuses for Bills players.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Poyer is done. He’s played great for us, a true warrior. 

But he’s an aging vet playing through multiple injuries who’s looking to get paid. I get it from his point of view, but unless he comes back on a somewhat team friendly deal I can’t see us retaining him.

I agree with this. It's a shame, he put everything on the line for this team, but father time is undefeated, its a shame that team two years ago was sabotaged by it's own coaching staff with seconds left.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

and Fangio is a great DC

21 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It is taxed based on where you earn the Money.  NYS certainly taxes the bonuses for Bills players.

https://www.hodgsonruss.com/media/publication/434_How States Handle Signing Bonuses for Athletes.pdf

This is a very interesting article.  BLUF - it appears that signing bonuses are taxed based on your residency at the time they are paid.  So an athlete with residence in florida will not pay tax on a signing bonus.   Interesting....they even use a NY example in this article with court cases to support it. 

Intresting.  Im sure NFL players, teams and their agents and CPAs are all over the legalities of htis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This would be true only if rich people didn’t have tax professionals on their payroll who know how to exploit the code to where they pay less tax than an E-1 in the military.  No I’m not kidding.  My active duty Navy cousin paid $1,300 to the federal government and $600 to the state.  

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This would be true only if rich people didn’t have tax professionals on their payroll who know how to exploit the code to where they pay less tax than an E-1 in the military.  No I’m not kidding.  My active duty Navy cousin paid $1,300 to the federal government and $600 to the state.  

I’m not sure I understand. Do you think your cousin paid a lot? Or a little? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.