Excluding QB, who has the better roster, Bills or Jets?

Ethan in Cleveland

Excluding QB, which roster is better?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Excluding QB, which roster is better?

• Bills
    • Jets

Jets just had two rookies named DROY and OROY. Their DL is great. I'd take Moseley over Edmunds. Dawkins and Morse are probably the best two OL of both teams but after that the rest are not that great. Knox is probably the best TE. Jets are younger at some key positions as well.

Cap space is interesting. Despite Wilson on a rookie deal they don't have much cap to work with. That may make a move for a veteran QB hard to do.

• Like (+1) 2

as of right now for 2023 jets do, and it's not close.

the important thing to realize, and what will make beane a zero or a hero in the next 12 months, is that you can re set an nfl roster pretty quickly, you just have to get multiple hits in FA and the draft.

d'quan and miller along w phillips and lawson were net net not expensive (miller is 17 a year for 3, but he's a monster, the rest were cheap) additions and they upgraded higher paid guys we sent packing the prior year.  we need that at OL and WR, and to find some gems in the draft.

i think gunner bill pointed out that kc reset their whole flippin team in 2 years, we can do the same.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, colin said:

as of right now for 2023 jets do, and it's not close.

the important thing to realize, and what will make beane a zero or a hero in the next 12 months, is that you can re set an nfl roster pretty quickly, you just have to get multiple hits in FA and the draft.

d'quan and miller along w phillips and lawson were net net not expensive (miller is 17 a year for 3, but he's a monster, the rest were cheap) additions and they upgraded higher paid guys we sent packing the prior year.  we need that at OL and WR, and to find some gems in the draft.

i think gunner bill pointed out that kc reset their whole flippin team in 2 years, we can do the same.

“a zero to a hero”

”reset the whole team”

Are you talking about the Bills or the Texans? Or the Jets?

This board has lost its mind. Im out. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills might not even be favorites to win the AFC east division. Miami and the Jets have closed the gap. Might even be better. Allen is the big difference that still gives a slight edge to the Bills

The bills are currently second in odds to win the Superbowl next year. Way ahead of anyone else in the AFCE. And they will be heavy favorites to win the division.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

How much money you gonna put on the other teams?

• Agree 4

22 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills might not even be favorites to win the AFC east division. Miami and the Jets have closed the gap. Might even be better. Allen is the big difference that still gives a slight edge to the Bills

They closed the gap? NE was closer in 2021. Slight edge lol? Miami was the closest this year 4.5 games back.😂

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

For the regular season but in the playoffs the "everything else" is holding the Bills back.

That's not what this thread is about. Why do you feel it's necessary to keep regurgitating the same thing over and over again? Pretty sure by now everyone knows what your thoughts are on the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it is the Bills but I think it is close. I look at it this way, if you put together a composite starting 21 (excluding QBs) what does it look like? To me:

Offense:

QB - excluded

RB - Breece Hall (NYJ)

TE - Dawson Knox (BUF)

WR1 - Stefon Diggs (BUF)

WR2 - Garrett Wilson (NYJ)

WR3 - Gabriel Davis (BUF)

LT - Dion Dawkins (BUF)

LG - Alijah Vera-Tucker (NYJ)

C - Mitch Morse (BUF)

RG - Laken Tomlinson (NYJ)

RT - Spencer Brown (BUF) 

Defense:

DE - Von Miller (BUF)

1T - Daquon Jones (BUF)

3T - Quinnen Williams (NYJ)

DE - Greg Rousseau (BUF)

MLB - Tremaine Edmunds (BUF)

WLB - Matt Milano (BUF)

SLB/Nickel - Taron Johnson (BUF)

CB - Sauce Gardner (NYJ)

S - Jordan Poyer (BUF)

S - Micah Hyde (BUF)

CB - DJ Reed (NYJ)

Obviously that includes some close calls and a couple of the Bills I have included - Edmunds and Poyer - are impending free agents. I do think it is close and from a Jets perspective you look at the average age of the 7 Jets I have included and you feel good about where you are moving forward. If they can bring in a solid vet Quarterback they are without doubt a playoff team to my mind and they are definitely closing the gap fast but overall I still feel the Bills have a roster edge... it is just that a lot of our guys are older and a lot of theirs are younger that makes you feel like they are a rising team. 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

They closed the gap? NE was closer in 2021. Slight edge lol? Miami was the closest this year 4.5 games back.😂

That's not what this thread is about. Why do you feel it's necessary to keep regurgitating the same thing over and over again? Pretty sure by now everyone knows what your thoughts are on the playoffs. 

Ok the regular season then going forward. Right now, it's hard to answer until we go thru FA and the draft. But the Fins and Jets have closed the gap. Allen is the best QB in the division, but I am not sure the Bills have the best roster. The Bills are the favorite to win the division but if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised. Again, this is my answer now. That may change after the offseason moves are made by all 4 teams.

• Agree 1

Just now, MJS said:

The Bills and it's not close. The Bills are a top 5 team in the NFL. The Jets are not even top 10.

The Jets won 7 games last year with White, Wilson, Flacco as their QB. They get a halfway decent QB then they will be trouble. The Bills have a great QB but the roster as a whole is overrated. IMHO. It's closer than you think.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Gregg said:

Ok the regular season then going forward. Right now, it's hard to answer until we go thru FA and the draft. But the Fins and Jets have closed the gap. Allen is the best QB in the division, but I am not sure the Bills have the best roster. The Bills are the favorite to win the division but if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised. Again, this is my answer now. That may change after the offseason moves are made by all 4 teams.

The Bills do have the best roster and will come opening day 2023. QB counts for far more than any other player on a team, especially a top 2 or 3 QB. We've had plenty of years in the past with a really good roster, but couldn't get anything that resembled a franchise QB, like the Jets roster currently sits. Until they get a QB everything else doesn’t matter, they won't be a true contender to unseat us or go deep in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Jets won 7 games last year with White, Wilson, Flacco as their QB. They get a halfway decent QB then they will be trouble. The Bills have a great QB but the roster as a whole is overrated. IMHO. It's closer than you think.

You are what your record says you are. Until they prove it, they are a 7 win team in the midst of a 12 year playoff drought.

Thr Dolphins are better than them, and the Dolphins are not as good as the Bills. But they are a lot closer.

• Disagree 2

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

You are what your record says you are. Until they prove it, they are a 7 win team in the midst of a 12 year playoff drought.

Thr Dolphins are better than them, and the Dolphins are not as good as the Bills. But they are a lot closer.

The Dolphins do have a good roster, but it will be interesting to see what happens with their QB situation. At the "Pro Bowl games" they said Tua still hasn't cleared concussion protocol. Does he come back next year or retire? He had 2 confirmed concussions this past season and he probably had one in the first Bills game, but it wasn't called a concussion.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew21PA said:

You said it though

they don’t have a qb

weve had some great rosters and no qb…didn’t sniff the playoffs 

the jets and dolphins will blow it like they always do

This^

Tua isn't bad. He put up some great numbers at times, but he also had several stinkers. 

Jets reminded me of the 2014 Bills. Fantastic defense, excellent WRs. Kyle Orton at QB. Whiffing on Wilson and us wiffing on EJ really tanked an excellent roster 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Radar said:

If the Jets had a quarterback comparable to Allen they're the better roster. Like their defense better. Actually Miami is moving up on us in my opinion. This is becoming a pretty strong division.

Yup, if they get Carr or Rodgers we can kiss goodbye anymore 6-0 afce records. The Jets & Fish will be all over us.  I just don't trust our coaching infrastructure anymore. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup, if they get Carr or Rodgers we can kiss goodbye anymore 6-0 afce records. The Jets & Fish will be all over us.  I just don't trust our coaching infrastructure anymore. 

Seeing some of the reports/rumors (nothing guaranteed yet) but it looks like Carr will be heading to NO.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

lol Mac Jones..ok, I imagined it. Should I be scared?

The Jets did beat the Bills with Zach Wilson. What made it worse was they started that winning drive at their 5 and basically ran the ball down the Bills throats. They have a physical football team. I expect another 2 tough games against them next year.

Jets and it's not close. there might only be a couple positions where they aren't as strong and one of them is Kicker.

That said, QB matters more than the rest combined. If they can't sign a good player there, they wont be a real threat to anything.

Edited by BullBuchanan

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Jets and it's not close. there might only be a couple positions where they aren't as strong and one of them is Kicker.

That said, QB matters more than the rest combined. If they can't sign a good player there, they wont be a real threat to anything.

If Carr goes to NO and Rodgers doesn't go to the Jets, then I could see them getting Jimmy G and resigning White as the backup. I don't see Wilson having a future there.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Radar said:

If the Jets had a quarterback comparable to Allen they're the better roster. Like their defense better. Actually Miami is moving up on us in my opinion. This is becoming a pretty strong division.

That’s the problem good luck finding another Josh Allen cause they just drafted 2 guys in the top 3 the last 5 years who don’t have his skill level if you combined them together. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the Jets get Aaron Rodgers, they will be right up there with the Bills for a year or two.  I don't foresee Rodgers playing/being effective much beyond that.  A guy like Brady who played at a high level into his mid-40's is an anomoly.  Rodgers is likely more like Drew Brees and most of the others, and he'll start to lose his effectiveness around age 40 (he's already lost some of it).  Allen will be around much longer.  If the Jets get Derek Carr, they will be better than they are, but not significantly.  I do think they have a pretty good roster, outside of QB, and definitely one comparable to the Bills.  We can't overlook that the beat us with Zach Wilson at QB this season.

Like most of us, I am disappointed with how the Bills' season ended, both in the 2nd half and in the playoffs.  I do think that they need to make some changes and improvements to get their edge back next season, but I don't think the sky is falling.  I would agree that if they play all of next season the way they did in the 2nd half of this past season and bow out in the playoffs like they did, then significant changes will be needed after next season.  If they play like they played in the 1st half of this past season and in the 21-22 playoffs (minus the 13 seconds), they will be fine.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I remember the No QB part… 

The only thing I can think of is the late 90's Bills. They had a really good defense led by Ted Washington. But we had QB controversy with Flutie and Johnson. I always thought the Bills could have won the Super Bowl if MCM didn't happen. At the very least they would have had a good chance to get there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.