๐ŸŽถWe love like you!๐ŸŽต

๐ŸŽตYou're not near us,๐ŸŽถ

๐ŸŽถWe're blue. ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŽต

๐ŸŽตOh, Daboll, we love you!๐ŸŽถ

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, chongli said:

COTY Vote Totals (voting by AP):

ย 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/09/2022-nfl-coach-of-the-year-brian-daboll/

ย 

1. Brian Daboll (16 first-place votes and 123 total)

2. Mike Kyle Shanahan (12 first-place votes, 100 total)

3. Doug Pederson (five first-place votes, 75 total)

4. Sean McDermott (seven first-place votes, 48 total)

5. Nick Sirianni (six, 45)

6. Kevin Oโ€™Connell (one, 23)

7. Dan Campbell (one, 15)

8. Andy Reid (two, 10)

9. Pete Carroll (six total points)

10. Mike Tomlin (five total points)ย 

ย 

ย 

I would have had no issue with any of these coaches winning COTY, but I think that Daboll is the most deserving.ย  In all the pre-season predictions, nobody thought the Giants would come close to having a winning record much less make the playoffs -- and actually win a playoff game (even though it didn't count in the COTY voting).

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, The Red King said:

ย 

We didn't win a playoff game.ย  The Giants did.

Regardless, it's a similar start for Daboll's coaching tenure and he rightfully received recognition. Even Dan Campbell got a first place vote and he didn't even make the playoffs.

ย 

You wanna know how many votes McD got in his first year?.... A big fat ZERO

19 hours ago, chongli said:

COTY Vote Totals (voting by AP):

ย 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/09/2022-nfl-coach-of-the-year-brian-daboll/

ย 

1. Brian Daboll (16 first-place votes and 123 total)

2. Mike Kyle Shanahan (12 first-place votes, 100 total)

3. Doug Pederson (five first-place votes, 75 total)

4. Sean McDermott (seven first-place votes, 48 total)

5. Nick Sirianni (six, 45)

6. Kevin Oโ€™Connell (one, 23)

7. Dan Campbell (one, 15)

8. Andy Reid (two, 10)

9. Pete Carroll (six total points)

10. Mike Tomlin (five total points)ย 

ย 

No respect for Taylor and the Bengals !

On 2/10/2023 at 6:06 PM, LeGOATski said:

Regardless, it's a similar start for Daboll's coaching tenure and he rightfully received recognition. Even Dan Campbell got a first place vote and he didn't even make the playoffs.

ย 

You wanna know how many votes McD got in his first year?.... A big fat ZERO

ย 

That was due to the general opinion of Buffalo Bills at time in NFL.ย 

A series of coaches which were unsuccessful in Buffalo and any improvement was short term so dismissed.

Bills getting into playoffs was considered a fluke and credited to Bengals despite if games were played in different order with same results Bengals would not have "helped" Bills into playoffs.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

ย 

That was due to the general opinion of Buffalo Bills at time in NFL.ย 

A series of coaches which were unsuccessful in Buffalo and any improvement was short term so dismissed.

Bills getting into playoffs was considered a fluke and credited to Bengals despite if games were played in different order with same results Bengals would not have "helped" Bills into playoffs.

What's been the general opinion of the Lions? They last made the playoffs in 2016 and haven't won a playoff game in like 30 years. Yet Dan Campbell got a first place vote for COTY....

ย 

Very odd to me.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:20 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Carroll deserved just as much as Daboll. But I think the award always goes to the coach of the biggest surprise team or the coach of a team that dominates the league.

ย 

Daboll and Carrol are probably the biggest surprises last year. Pederson also but Trevor Lawrence was supposed to be in the playoffs at some point.ย 

ย 

Carroll absolutely deserved it over Daboll.ย  He did some weird voodoo to reanimate Geno Smith's corpse into a top 10 QB (I didn't know he was still in the league!).ย 

ย 

But this should have been a slam dunk to Shanahan.ย  Goes undefeated with their rookie 4th stringer to the NFCC.ย ย 

ย 

Put Daboll and those Giants in the AFCE and they are a 5 win team.ย ย 

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

What's been the general opinion of the Lions? They last made the playoffs in 2016 and haven't won a playoff game in like 30 years. Yet Dan Campbell got a first place vote for COTY....

ย 

Very odd to me.

ย 

Not odd at all---fully deserved.ย  He came in last year, they were the worst team in the league.ย  A year later, they start 2-6 and go on a 7-2 run, beating GB twice (including in Lambeau, despite their playoff hopes dashed by some of the worst officiating all year in the Seahawks game---that allowed Seattle in and kept Detroit out).

ย 

He won 9 games--same as Daboll---with a QB that had been tossed away by "future HOF HC" McVay.ย  He went 5-1 in a Division that includes the Vikings and the Packers.ย  Daboll got buried by his division, winning a single game.

ย 

Campbell did a better job than Daboll.ย  ย He deserved far more consideration for COTY.

ย 

ย 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

ย 

Not odd at all---fully deserved.ย  He came in last year, they were the worst team in the league.ย  A year later, they start 2-6 and go on a 7-2 run, beating GB twice (including in Lambeau, despite their playoff hopes dashed by some of the worst officiating all year in the Seahawks game---that allowed Seattle in and kept Detroit out).

ย 

He won 9 games--same as Daboll---with a QB that had been tossed away by "future HOF HC" McVay.ย  He went 5-1 in a Division that includes the Vikings and the Packers.ย  Daboll got buried by his division, winning a single game.

ย 

Campbell did a better job than Daboll.ย  ย He deserved far more consideration for COTY.

ย 

ย 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

On 2/10/2023 at 3:48 AM, Doc Brown said:

The last three coordinators turned coaches who won it their first season were Sean McVay, Matt Nagy, and Kevin Stefanski.ย  McVay was able to maintain it by spending like a teenager with a credit card.ย  Nagy was a massive failure after his first year.ย  Stefanski has struggled since winning it.ย  The true test with Daboll is whether he'll be able to win year in and year out like McDerdott, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, etc... have.

ย 

ย 

I predict he will not make it.

ย 

Said it many times........and I think he proved my point to a great extent with his play calling in 2021........he is very Sam Wyche like.

ย 

For some coaches it's a fine line between innovative and ill-conceived.

ย 

First harbinger for Giants fans might have been in that divisional game versus Philly when he went for it on 4th and rather long at midfield down 7-0 in the first quarter..........what little chance they had of pulling an upset ended right there.

ย 

ย 

• Agree 1

On 2/9/2023 at 10:48 PM, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, McD kinda did the same thing in his first year. Brought a crappy roster to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB and broke a 17 year playoff drought. But it's Buffalo and not NYC.

The team McD took over had records of 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9 the previous 3 seasons. He guided them to 9-7 his first year and made the playoffs because of a fluke play by another team. I think he did well, but that doesnโ€™t exactly sound like CoTY material to me.

ย 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2023 at 10:37 PM, Big Turk said:

Well deserved for Dabs.

ย 

Kind of shocking how McD hasn't won one yet with as much as he has turned this team around.

ย 

McDโ€™s time is past. ย Unless they win a SB, but then the award is already given outโ€”which is nuts. ย Eagles coach has a good argument to win it also. ย 

• Agree 1

On 2/9/2023 at 9:44 PM, DapperCam said:

COTY award is actually the โ€œcoach that turned a god awful roster to be somewhat respectableโ€ award. Otherwiseย Belichick would have won it for a decade straight and Reid would have won it for the last 5 years including this year.

ย 

That's my take as well, I knew Pederson or Daboll was getting it.

ย 

Reid is obviously the best coach right now, only one that's close is Shanahan (sp?) In San Francisco.ย 

ย 

Can't give it to him every year though.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

The team McD took over had records of 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9 the previous 3 seasons. He guided them to 9-7 his first year and made the playoffs because of a fluke play by another team. I think he did well, but that doesnโ€™t exactly sound like CoTY material to me.

ย 

ย 

Those teams prior didn't trade away a bunch of good players either...everyone thought they were intentionally tanking, even the Buffalo media

ย 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

ย 

Those teams prior didn't trade away a bunch of good players either...everyone thought they were intentionally tanking, even the Buffalo media

ย 

You should go back and look at the 2017 roster. Itโ€™s not as bad as you are implying, particularly on defense. I wish the Bills had that defense against Cincinnati.

Edited by vincec

On 2/9/2023 at 10:37 PM, Big Turk said:

Well deserved for Dabs.

ย 

Kind of shocking how McD hasn't won one yet with as much as he has turned this team around.

Daboll has done more with a lot less. ย McDermott pretty much put himself onto the hot seat. ย Heโ€™s not doing anything special at the present and has largely under performed with the roster. ย We were expected to be in the Super Bowl. ย Instead thirteen seconds and a blow out loss are cementing his end but he can keep knocking on doors when heโ€™s fired eventually he might kick a door downZ

15 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Daboll has done more with a lot less. ย McDermott pretty much put himself onto the hot seat. ย Heโ€™s not doing anything special at the present and has largely under performed with the roster. ย We were expected to be in the Super Bowl. ย Instead thirteen seconds and a blow out loss are cementing his end but he can keep knocking on doors when heโ€™s fired eventually he might kick a door downZ

ย 

McD's seat is ice cold. He is going NOWHERE unless he has more than 1 losing season in a row.

ย 

These ludicrous takes as if McD is in danger of losing his job are some of the dumbest I have ever seen on this board and that says a lot.

ย 

You are in fantasy land if you think he is going anywhere.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, vincec said:

ย 

It was worth votes if other guys (see Dan Campbell) who didn't even make the playoffs in a weak division got votes. The Bills played 6 playoff teams that year including the SB-bound Patriots twice and the 9-7 Chargers who barely missed the postseason (because of the Bills).

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

If that was anywhere near worth my time, I probably would. It's better just to nod and smile when talking to Mr. WEO.

ย 

Yes, no doubt your time is priceless. lol.ย  see below.ย 

ย 

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It was worth votes if other guys (see Dan Campbell) who didn't even make the playoffs in a weak division got votes. The Bills played 6 playoff teams that year including the SB-bound Patriots twice and the 9-7 Chargers who barely missed the postseason (because of the Bills).

ย 

Now it's a "weak division" with the Packers and Vikings?

ย 

And the Lions played 8 playoff teams this year (1 of them twice).ย  Plus they beat Green Bay twice--all with a bad Defense.ย  But their Offense, far better than Daboll's turned them from 1-6 into 8-2 to finish the season.ย  In fact the Lions went from 25th in points scored to 5th inย  1 year.ย 

19 hours ago, Big Turk said:

ย 

McD's seat is ice cold. He is going NOWHERE unless he has more than 1 losing season in a row.

ย 

These ludicrous takes as if McD is in danger of losing his job are some of the dumbest I have ever seen on this board and that says a lot.

ย 

Not with the UCL tear of Josh. ย That seat just got so much hotter. ย A one more throw Coach and we saw how it worked out for Mike Shannahan. ย His seat now isnโ€™t as cold as it once was. ย Thereโ€™s a lot of question marks regarding why Dorsey and McDermott didnโ€™t replace him and allow for a full healing process. ย You can have the records player safety is. More important than the game. ย 

On 2/12/2023 at 7:40 PM, Big Turk said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

Wrong take. ย I would say there is no way in hell he was going to go anywhere THIS season, but he could be in very hot water as early as next season. ย It all depends on what happens and how things look.

ย 

I think we are definitely in for a regression next year from this year, which in itself is another regression from a few years ago. ย We are going backward. ย It depends on how that looks, how much that accelerates, and what are the circumstances surrounding our season next year.

ย 

Ultimately, this sort of thing hinges purely on what Terry Pegula thinks, and he's an idiot. ย So who knows what will happen. ย I'm a super huge Sabres fan and have followed his actions very closely for a long time with THAT organization. ย He's the worst owner in the NHL, most likely.

ย 

He seems to have gotten lucky at the moment with GM Adams, and Adams has hired a really solid HC...drafting has been great...but Pegula remains the lowest information sports fan you've ever heard of.

ย 

How long will it take for Pegula to realize "Maybe McDermott isn't the guy?"

Who the hell knows, but McDermott could and SHOULD be in very hot water, as soon as next season, if the season looks a certain way.

ย 

Then again, we COULD win the SB next YEAR!

ย 

But to suggest McDermott is hired for life, is, I think, ridiculous.

ย 

ย 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:40 PM, Big Turk said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

1000% Correct

ย 

However, of all the fantasy land takes on here from the 'arm chair experts' who seem to think they know their way around the team better than the actual coach and actual GM - this is a take I don't mind.

The reasoning? its a great litmus test to assess if you are dealing with someone who can have an intelligent and coherent conversation about the state of affairs and this upcoming season.

If you cant see the forest through the trees in regard to one of the most common sense, easiest conclusions that's almost written in stone..... well then I just cant take a conversation about something not so cut and dry seriously.ย 

Football has a large share of fans who turn on the TV every Sunday and yell at the TV to fire everyone, while not understanding the intricacies of what they are watching and thats totally fine. It sure does make having legitimate conversations difficult though. Especially when the last few years things have morphed into such a 'what have you done for me lately' type of league where people are judged by their last game rather than their season(s) and body of work as a whole.

Which, is all to say, comments like that make it easy to know who to take seriously and who to not.

I don't advocate becoming complacent and being scared of change when necessary, but its worrisome how quickly people forget how bad things were and what a crap show Rex and company were. Most of the time when someone is canned for not being able to get a club OVER the hump. the result is the next man in cant even get the TO the hump. Do I have day dreams of what an offensive HC could do for this club? sure.ย  But they are only that - day dreams.ย 

This club has a good things going and McD isnt going anywhere until things fall off a cliff and probably then is given a year to climb back up.

Those who think otherwise may want to reassess what they think they know, or at least keep it under their hats to avoid looking silly.ย ย 

Daboll earned it for what he did for the NYG

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

McDermott isn't going anywhere, but my confidence in him is at its lowest since he came here. Same for our OC and DC nobody seems to know how to adjust schemes.

Same for Beane, the over drafting of certain positions and his inability to draft OL or create one has diminshed my view of him

ย 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.