If Brandon Beane doesn’t protect Josh Allen this offseason, how much will your enthusiasm die?

Buffalo_Stampede

If Allen isn’t protected, the season is over before it started because we will not go anywhere past another blowout in the playoffs. And no, replacing Saffold with a new starter but bringing back Dawkins, Morse, Bates, and Brown and hoping for “improvement” is not acceptable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Title sums it up. I don’t care about anything else. The OL nearly ended the career of Josh Allen in 2022. 

Edmunds and Poyer? Don’t care. Protect Josh Allen over everything else. Leslie Frazier and the coaches? Don’t care. Our QB takes too many hits. Fix it. 

I'm with you..........and you address needs in free agency and via trade where you can expect immediate results.

The draft you gotta' let come to you for the most part...........you don't draft Cody Ford just because "we need a tackle" (as Brandon Beane famously said on Bills Embedded)........you pick the best available player at a premium position in round 1.........and try to do the same in round 2.    If that's defense it's unfortunate timing........but so be it.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Title sums it up. I don’t care about anything else. The OL nearly ended the career of Josh Allen in 2022. 

Edmunds and Poyer? Don’t care. Protect Josh Allen over everything else. Leslie Frazier and the coaches? Don’t care. Our QB takes too many hits. Fix it. 

Well frankly that should've been the strategy 5 years ago.  Let's play this fun game called "pick the defensive bust".  Meanwhile coaches get to take no accountability while their jobs are protected. This team has failed Josh in every possible way. 

1 hour ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

-3 dB

Eventually you'll go deaf....

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

So let’s say Oline is the priority. Ok, that is understandable.

But my problem is, over and over again, when we get to the playoffs, PASS RUSH IS THE PROBLEM as soon as we face off with one of these Top 5 QBs.

Meanwhile, when we see those same QBs struggle, why does it happen? Pressure. Consistent pressure, without relying on the blitz. 

Yes. I realize how much draft capital we have WASTED on the DL… but what do you do if the DL remains insufficient? Knowing it is a critical piece to a Super Bowl team. 

It’s kind of like teams that miss on a franchise QB in the draft. Just because you tried once and failed, does it mean you have to wait before you try again? No. You have to keep making it a top priority until you get it right. 

fortunately, we have that piece in Allen.  

But I would argue that DL is going to be slightly more important than OL for us. They should both be priorities, but there seems to be so many successful starting OL in the league that were Day 2 picks, so I would say, load up on OL in Rounds 3-6, but in Rounds 1&2… I think there are other players/positions that can have a bigger impact for this team, especially in the playoffs. 

Yeah we’ve got Von, but coming off an ACL, he might never be the same player again for all we know. Do we bank on that? Because if it’s not him, and we meet the Chiefs/Bengals in the playoffs again, it WILL be the lack of a pass rush as the reason our defense gets completely run over and just how pissed off would that make us?

OL and DL. Both very important. But one thing I keep noticing is more often than not, when teams make a run in the playoffs, when they take down the top offenses in the NFL en route to the Super Bowl and then WIN the Super Bowl, they also had success against top QBs because they deployed an elite pass rush that cripples the entire offense.  

And when they lose, like the Bills in 2020, 2021 and 2022… their pass rush was usually lacking.  

it’s how the giants beat Brady twice

its how the Bucs beat Mahomes

its how the bengals shut down the bills offense

and it’s how KC beat the bengals 

oh yeah, and it’s how the Rams closed out last years Super Bowl too

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

But my problem is, over and over again, when we get to the playoffs, PASS RUSH IS THE PROBLEM as soon as we face off with one of these Top 5 QBs.

Meanwhile, when we see those same QBs struggle, why does it happen? Pressure. Consistent pressure, without relying on the blitz. 

Yes. I realize how much draft capital we have WASTED on the DL… but what do you do if the DL remains insufficient? Knowing it is a critical piece to a Super Bowl team. 

It’s kind of like teams that miss on a franchise QB in the draft. Just because you tried once and failed, does it mean you have to wait before you try again? No. You have to keep making it a top priority until you get it right. 

But I would argue that DL is going to be slightly more important than OL for us. They should both be priorities, but there seems to be so many successful starting OL in the league that were Day 2 picks, so I would say, load up on OL in Rounds 3-6, but in Rounds 1&2… I think there are other players/positions that can have a bigger impact for this team, especially in the playoffs. 

Yeah we’ve got Von, but coming off an ACL, he might never be the same player again for all we know. Do we bank on that? Because if it’s not him, and we meet the Chiefs/Bengals in the playoffs again, it WILL be the lack of a pass rush as the reason our defense gets completely run over and just how pissed off would that make us?

OL and DL. Both very important. But one thing I keep noticing is more often than not, when teams make a run in the playoffs, when they take down the top offenses in the NFL en route to the Super Bowl and then WIN the Super Bowl, they also had success against top QBs because they deployed an elite pass rush that cripples the entire offense.  

And when they lose, like the Bills in 2020, 2021 and 2022… their pass rush was usually lacking.  

At least we have something that can improve the pass rush immediately in Von Miller. We know the injury and age aren’t ideal but this is the position Brandon Beane has put us in. We also have young players that can improve.

OL must be the priority this offseason. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well frankly that should've been the strategy 5 years ago.  Let's play this fun game called "pick the defensive bust".  Meanwhile coaches get to take no accountability while their jobs are protected. This team has failed Josh in every possible way. 

Eventually you'll go deaf....

Trust me there is accountability. You just don’t fire coaches for being out coached by the Chiefs and Bengals in the playoffs.

It will eventually catch up and cost jobs but when you’re 1-2 games away from the Super Bowl every year you don’t make drastic changes to the coaching staff.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The draft you gotta' let come to you for the most part...........you don't draft Cody Ford just because "we need a tackle" (as Brandon Beane famously said on Bills Embedded)    

He actually said this? And it was released by the team?

6 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

We are weak at the LOS on both sides of the ball. At least when Von was out there, we could generate a pass rush. Does anyone expect a 34-year-old to remain healthy for the entire season next year. I hope so but I wouldn't count on it. Lot of pressure on Beane in this draft. I don't expect the Bills to be major players in FA. We are probably going to have trouble resigning our own. Any real improvement will have come from the draft IMHO. Beane has to have a draft this year that JD had last year for the Jets with Breece, Wilson and Sauce.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gregg said:

We are weak at the LOS on both sides of the ball. At least when Von was out there, we could generate a pass rush. Does anyone expect a 34-year-old to remain healthy for the entire season next year. I hope so but I wouldn't count on it. Lot of pressure on Beane in this draft. I don't expect the Bills to be major players in FA. We are probably going to have trouble resigning our own. Any real improvement will have come from the draft IMHO. Beane has to have a draft this year that JD had last year for the Jets with Breece, Wilson and Sauce.

Jets were picking at the top of the draft. Imo, Beane has to let some talent on D walk, spend FA resources on offense, and then I would still prioritize offense with the draft, though bpa at premium spots regardless is also a rational plan. Regardless, to the fella complaining about the lack of pass rush, we've taken a lot of swings at improving the DL. We haven't done the same with OL -- and when we have, we draft Cody Ford. I think you build the offense so it can consistently and reliably outscore the opponent. Make certain that even if Frazier's passive D is up against a top qb in the playoffs or the D has an off day, you still have the potential to win. I don't think it's optimal to keep trying to fix the pass rush at the top of the draft, personally. I'd go the other way and try to make the mercurial offense solidly reliable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Jets were picking at the top of the draft. Imo, Beane has to let some talent on D walk, spend FA resources on offense, and then I would still prioritize offense with the draft, though bpa at premium spots regardless is also a rational plan. Regardless, to the fella complaining about the lack of pass rush, we've taken a lot of swings at improving the DL. We haven't done the same with OL -- and when we have, we draft Cody Ford. I think you build the offense so it can consistently and reliably outscore the opponent. Make certain that even if Frazier's passive D is up against a top qb in the playoffs or the D has an off day, you still have the potential to win. I don't think it's optimal to keep trying to fix the pass rush at the top of the draft, personally. I'd go the other way and try to make the mercurial offense solidly reliable.

Agree. I prefer they look to improve the OL first then WR-2 to go opposite Diggs. This would slide Davis to WR-3 where he could probably do very well. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

pretty sure OL is where Beane is going #1, so no worries there.  DL #2 if one grades out at 54.   Between Gabe, Beas, Crowder and Shakir, Y and Z  WRs will be sorted out, IMO.  WR #3 pick maybe, or another OL.   Plenty of guys coming back to get WR figured out.   

No real FA signings as there is no $$.   Pray that Von comes back strong and fast as a ton of cap $$ stuck there.   

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

pretty sure OL is where Beane is going #1, so no worries there.  DL #2 if one grades out at 54.   Between Gabe, Beas, Crowder and Shakir, Y and Z  WRs will be sorted out, IMO.  WR #3 pick maybe, or another OL.   Plenty of guys coming back to get WR figured out.   

No real FA signings as there is no $$.   Pray that Von comes back strong and fast as a ton of cap $$ stuck there.   

Davis is the WR#3. WR#2 needs an upgrade. You're incorrect about the quality of wr in the room.

• Agree 1

Should Beane and McDermott not make a concerted effort shift resources to improve the O-line and address the OCs and DCs overall scheme they will have not done what needs to happen to make the team better. I have some hope that they fully understand this, and have some uncertainty that they will achieve the goal. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The rest of it that’s left from Frazier not being fired. 

I’m still unclear on this. Is his contract up? Aren’t we waiting to hear that either he has a new contract or they’re pursuing a new DC?

Edited by Airseven

15 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I’m still unclear on this. Is his contract up? Aren’t we waiting to hear that either he has a new contract or they’re pursuing a new DC?

I’d think that ship has sailed. Every DC candidate worth anything has been snatched up. At this point it would likely be foolish to move on from Frazier. Would have had to do that 2 weeks ago. 

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Picking up Miller was an error.

Too old.

Stay away from old dudes.

13 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’d think that ship has sailed. Every DC candidate worth anything has been snatched up. At this point it would likely be foolish to move on from Frazier. Would have had to do that 2 weeks ago. 

Unless McDermott decides not to bring in another DC and decides to call the defense himself.

12 hours ago, MWK said:

If Allen isn’t protected, the season is over before it started because we will not go anywhere past another blowout in the playoffs. And no, replacing Saffold with a new starter but bringing back Dawkins, Morse, Bates, and Brown and hoping for “improvement” is not acceptable.

At a minimum, they need to draft a G and T and then have a good training camp fight to determine who starts.  I don't care about rookies vs vets.  May the best man win.

11 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Agree.  But we need both, if we don't fix the OL, the other teams pass rush will be our problem.

Overall, we have missed on a ton of DE and OL picks, sometimes missing on DE (Basham) while not drafting the impact OL (Humphrey).  We need pass rush, as well as not playing a weak cover zone with CBs 5-10 yards off WRs.  On offense, we need to protect JA.  

Edited by RyanC883

10 hours ago, Jim said:

He actually said this? And it was released by the team?

Yes.   

It was a bad look and aged terribly.......Ford didn't even make it thru camp as a tackle :lol:....but it made for the kind of "fan-like" mindset that much of the fanbase loves to see from management.

Since then I think they've kept things that might make them look stupid on the cutting floor when editing their Bills Imbedded stuff.

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm with you..........and you address needs in free agency and via trade where you can expect immediate results.

The draft you gotta' let come to you for the most part...........you don't draft Cody Ford just because "we need a tackle" (as Brandon Beane famously said on Bills Embedded)........you pick the best available player at a premium position in round 1.........and try to do the same in round 2.    If that's defense it's unfortunate timing........but so be it.    

Of course you realize...

This statement:

"you don't draft Cody Ford just because "we need a tackle"

Is usually said by teams that say:

"you pick the best available player at a premium position in round 1.........and try to do the same in round 2."

The teams that live by the adage.."You can find them in the later rounds"  Are the ones that rarely do.

A team like Philly or Baltimore, who sometimes do find an OL in the later rounds, does so because they put the priority on that part of the team.  They aren't afraid to use a first or a second if they think the quality is there.  And, they are infinitely better at evaluating who is going to be quality vs. who is not.

I tend to agree, I think a team that doesn't have the importance of the OL is the team that says..."He's 6'5" and 315", OK, let's draft him.  we need somebody. Well, every OL in the draft is 6'5" and 315 lbs.

The results show.  In 5 years, the Beane regime found 1 mid-late round pick (below the 2nd round) who was worth it.

And they cut him.

Its something with this franchise on that area of team building.  You have to go back to Jason Peters to find a mid to late round OL pick who is worth something..(1/2 credit for Brad Butler, years ago).

OL improvement through the draft is crucial this year. But as crucial, if not more, is finding the talent evaluators who can recognize quality.  If I'm Beane I realize that this area of evaluation isn't my strong suit and I hire an OL guru for the upcoming draft.  If allowed, I'd hire a guy like Arkansas Head Coach and OL Guru Sam Pittman to review tape and meet with prospects.  But then, he's probably too busy doing his own recruiting. But you get the idea.

In a final ironic note...the past 2 years I've watched this defense composed of 1st and 2nd round difference makers fail to show for their final game.  I remember sitting in Arrowhead a little over a year ago, waiting for one of them to make a play.

A sack

a pressure

a tipped pass

a forced fumble.

Anything.

But it never came.

It was worse this year, as I watched a DL comprised of mostly first and 2nd round picks get blown up in the run game and fail to get any pressure on Burrow, who was sitting comfortably behind a B level Oline. 

• Like (+1) 2

If the defensive minded head coach wants to keep his job, he'll need to coach up the young defensive players and stop wasting the career of an elite QB with this garbage OL and WR group. I can't take another Boogie Basham or AJ Espinosa pick. We don't have money for Edmunds or Poyer.

Edited by GerstAusGosheim
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, phxbacker said:

He said in his press conference the only thing he gets on Josh about is taking hits.
I hope he realized that he can make that happen just as much as Josh can.

I don't really understand Beane critcizing Allen for something that is primarily Beanes fault. Fix the oline. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CookieG said:

Of course you realize...

This statement:

"you don't draft Cody Ford just because "we need a tackle"

Is usually said by teams that say:

"you pick the best available player at a premium position in round 1.........and try to do the same in round 2."

The teams that live by the adage.."You can find them in the later rounds"  Are the ones that rarely do.

A team like Philly or Baltimore, who sometimes do find an OL in the later rounds, does so because they put the priority on that part of the team.  They aren't afraid to use a first or a second if they think the quality is there.  And, they are infinitely better at evaluating who is going to be quality vs. who is not.

I tend to agree, I think a team that doesn't have the importance of the OL is the team that says..."He's 6'5" and 315", OK, let's draft him.  we need somebody. Well, every OL in the draft is 6'5" and 315 lbs.

The results show.  In 5 years, the Beane regime found 1 mid-late round pick (below the 2nd round) who was worth it.

And they cut him.

Its something with this franchise on that area of team building.  You have to go back to Jason Peters to find a mid to late round OL pick who is worth something..(1/2 credit for Brad Butler, years ago).

OL improvement through the draft is crucial this year. But as crucial, if not more, is finding the talent evaluators who can recognize quality.  If I'm Beane I realize that this area of evaluation isn't my strong suit and I hire an OL guru for the upcoming draft.  If allowed, I'd hire a guy like Arkansas Head Coach and OL Guru Sam Pittman to review tape and meet with prospects.  But then, he's probably too busy doing his own recruiting. But you get the idea.

In a final ironic note...the past 2 years I've watched this defense composed of 1st and 2nd round difference makers fail to show for their final game.  I remember sitting in Arrowhead a little over a year ago, waiting for one of them to make a play.

A sack

a pressure

a tipped pass

a forced fumble.

Anything.

But it never came.

It was worse this year, as I watched a DL comprised of mostly first and 2nd round picks get blown up in the run game and fail to get any pressure on Burrow, who was sitting comfortably behind a B level Oline. 

The Eagles have invested a bit more in their OL but a lot of their success is due to longevity they got from Jason Peters and later Jason Kelce and Lane Johnson.......that allowed them time to develop young OL.

Their OL isn't all first rounders........their LT Mailata is a 7th......C Kelce was a 6th.......Seumalo was a 3rd rounder who is just breaking out now at age 29.

They've had periods where their OL was seen as bad and that lead to Andre Dillard selection.......who has basically been a bust........though he's coming around and might even be a Bills guard target in UFA this offseason.

I’m a enthusiastic Buffalo Bills fan regardless of any new ownership yes PSE could be replaced by selling does it matter not really, general manager Brandon Beane could be replaced does it matter not really, players could be replaced like Josh Allen or Stefon Diggs does it matter not really whatever players come and go over the years. The Bills fan in me is just win Super Bowl championships. BSF don’t you have any loyalty? Yes the Buffalo Bills franchise and Championship team members 1964 and 1965 Bills members I am loyal but not to losers next. So BSF in your fan world your more loyal to John Tavares of the Buffalo Bandits over Sean McDermott of the Buffalo Bills because John Tavares won 4 titles for Buffalo? Yes because John Tavares is a Buffalo champion for life you can’t take that away from him. While Bills Sean McDermott and Josh Allen have won nothing zero championships for Buffalo so far? I am more loyal to UB Bulls linebacker James Patterson that won three college bowl game championships for UB Bulls football than Josh Allen that won zero championships nothing for the Buffalo Bills. BSF that isn’t fair? Yes it is it is called having higher standards regardless the Buffalo sports team in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 2/7/2023 at 11:23 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Well, that definitely isn’t happening. I would expect the “draft for immediate need” to hit overdrive this time around since his job depends on it. He might even pull a Ralph and draft a Spiller type player/shiny new toy to distract the fans. Desperation time.

Edited by Governor

23 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

We don’t have anyone on the staff that can identify future defensive line talent. 

At this point we have to outscore everyone and load up the offense. It probably won’t be enough to win it anyway but it’s our last option. Josh would certainly request a trade if nothing is done. A man can only take so much.

So yeah, we’re likely facing a wildcard exit the next 2 years while our new linemen and WR’s get acclimated to the game, and that’s if they’re any good which is doubtful going by previous drafts.

We aren’t close.

Edited by Governor

23 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

A healthy Von Miller and a healthy secondary will improve the pass rush.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.