Chargers - Mike Williams and Joey Bosa hurt in meaningless game

Big Blitz

Chargers coach defending playing his starters in a completely meaningless game, Mike Williams fractured his back and is out, Bosa also injured.
Chargers coach Brandon Staley on Thursday defended his decision to play his starters against the Broncos.

"It's difficult to decide who plays and who doesn't and who is more valuable than the rest," Staley said. "What you are trying to do is set a standard for your program about how you do things. That is what I believe in, and I didn't want anybody to get hurt in [the game], regardless of their status, because everybody is important."

There are different schools of thought on resting players in meaningless games ... but saying it is difficult deciding who is more valuable to your team?

He should have asked me, I could have easily told him that.

What a moron.

Edited by Turk71
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, papazoid said:

chargers are a preferred destination by sean payton

staley is toast

I think Dallas is Payton’s first choice, followed closely by the Chargers job. McCarthy and/or Staley both could be fired if their teams lose this weekend if those teams believe they can get Payton in there. 

6 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Reading the Chargers' board, there is speculation that the decision to play the starters in a meaningless game was not Staley's. Along with analytics, he is big into sports science. He doesn't play starters in preseason and doesn't practice on Wednesdays because he doesn't want the players' bodies to take the abuse and is big into resting players rather than getting additional reps. So either the players wanted to play because of contract incentives or Spanos forced his hand. I have no idea if this is true, but that's what they're saying.

They also get into the endless debates about QB rankings and feel that Herbert is disrespected. For some reason, Josh being ranked above Herbert is the one that get's under their skin the most. 

Don't see how.  Williams just got a massive contract.  

He’s missed most of the season anyway.  So what stats could he have possibly been trying make?

Its more believable the team - several of them missed most of the season Williams and Allen the two main ones - just wanted to get more reps together and momentum going in to the post season because Herbert has been very just meh.  

I’m sure the players were fine with it but the Coach absolutely has final say. 

Your made of glass WR didn’t need to play.  I’m not sure he’s fully recovered from that ankle sprain anyway.  

On 1/9/2023 at 8:23 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Staley is the biggest problem in that building. He’s lucky he’s playing a pretty weak opponent this week

I think the Chargers lose to the lesser opponent on the road this week!

On 1/9/2023 at 10:06 AM, Eastport bills said:

Mike is made of glass and Joey gets hurt a lot. The Chargers are ripe for a 1st rd dismissal.

Agreed, one and done this year.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:23 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Staley is the biggest problem in that building. He’s lucky he’s playing a pretty weak opponent this week

They won’t be that weak at home in Jax , with a better head coach.   The Bills have usually struggled here against lesser talented teams , like last year and with Blake Bortles at Qb in the Bills playoff loss here. Just saying , at home they can be a tough out. With all the charger injuries, a Jax win wouldn’t be a huge shock.  ( not a big jags fan as it’s a franchise that just put crappy products on the field after Coughlin left and Wayne Weaver sold the team to this guy bent on fostering his London obsession).
Have always been a Bills fan but I was an original club STH for the jags as my first office was below the original group of cardiologists and city financial guys who were instrumental in the early bids moving forward before they needed a huge money guy in Weaver.   Met him and his wife and they were very genuinely kind people interested in Jax.   Current owner does a lot IN Jax , but is more a globalist, and I am not sure he ever understood the NFL and actual American football. 

Edited by DrPJax

9 hours ago, Billznut said:

I think Dallas is Payton’s first choice, followed closely by the Chargers job. McCarthy and/or Staley both could be fired if their teams lose this weekend if those teams believe they can get Payton in there. 

I'm betting on Denver. Can Payton coexist with Jerry's meddling ways? If you look at Denver's team, it's eerily similar to his Saints teams. 

10 hours ago, Billznut said:

Sure hope he goes to Chargers. 1) The Chiefs need competition in their division!!!  2) Keeps him away from AFC East. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Manther said:

I think the Chargers lose to the lesser opponent on the road this week!

Agreed, one and done this year.

I’m not sure Jax is the lesser opponent. They killed the chargers earlier this year. Lawrence is used to playing and winning in playoff games in college. Pederson is experienced winning in the playoffs. They have a great defense. Not having mike Williams will really hurt the lac offense.  

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

IF Staley wasn’t an absolute, in game buffoon already, like Cliff Clownsbury, you might give him a pass here for this idiocy! On second thought- NOOOOOOO! Get out you useless hack, who is 100% responsible for this year’s Chargers Train Wreck!

If the Chargers lose tonight, his week 18 decisions this year and last might be enough to get him fired. 

Enter Sean Payton - what coach wouldn't want to work with Justin Herbert ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Who do we think has a better chance to go into KC next week and beat the Chiefs? Chargers w/o Williams?  I think I’d rather see the Jags advance.  Chargers just never seem to get it done vs KC and I don’t think Herbert’s up to the task.

I understand what Staley is trying to say. But backups are backups and it is what it is. They play when a starter is injured or the game is already won or if it is a meaningless game. The starters are more important players. They aren’t more important people. But it’s a game not a court room or an emergency room. He rolled the dice and lost. He’s not the first. Patriots did the same with Wes Welker and he tore his knee.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, mannc said:

Who do we think has a better chance to go into KC next week and beat the Chiefs? Chargers w/o Williams?  I think I’d rather see the Jags advance.  Chargers just never seem to get it done vs KC and I don’t think Herbert’s up to the task.

Based on how well Herbert has played down the stretch, I think he’s up for it. Idiocy in coaching is the thing that really makes me question whether the Chargers have it in them to take out the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.