Packers-Lions flexed to SNF

Big Blitz

7 minutes ago, CoffeeDrip said:

Bills play Sunday at 1. I’m ok with it.

A rare event this year. A Bills game at 1:00 Sunday. Even though I love the Bills getting primetime games, the 1:00 start on Sunday is my favorite time for a Bills game to start.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If the Bills lose tonight and KC wins on Saturday, then yes.

Also if the Bills win tonight and KC loses on Saturday

16 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Makes sense as this is a massive game.

NFL is drooling over the packers late season surge and potential for them to make the tourney and go on a deep playoff run, which I think is exactly what will happen if they beat Lions and get in.

GB is not going to the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

it’s the right call.  Regardless of jags and titans, this is the most interesting game, with two exciting offenses.

edit: jags and titans on Saturday.  Ok, that works, too.

I haven’t paid much attention, but Isn’t there a chance that lions/packers means nothing if seattle wins at home vs the rams?

get ready for some away team ref cooking in seattle.  

the nfl would much rather the packers or lions make the playoffs rather than Seattle imo. 

5 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Won't the Lions be eliminated if the Seahawks beat the Rams ?

Think so

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Makes sense as this is a massive game.

NFL is drooling over the packers late season surge and potential for them to make the tourney and go on a deep playoff run, which I think is exactly what will happen if they beat Lions and get in.

Do they get in if they win?  Or do they need seattle to lose as well?  Which is why this matchup doesn’t make any sense for snf.  It could mean NADA

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I haven’t paid much attention, but Isn’t there a chance that lions/packers means nothing if seattle wins at home vs the rams?

get ready for some away team ref cooking in seattle.  

the nfl would much rather the packers or lions make the playoffs rather than Seattle imo. 

Think so

Do they get in if they win?  Or do they need seattle to lose as well?  Which is why this matchup doesn’t make any sense for snf.  It could mean NADA

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfc-playoff-clinching-scenarios-for-week-18-of-2022-nfl-season

If green bay wins they are in.  Seattle is in the 7th spot, but needs GB to lose.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfc-playoff-clinching-scenarios-for-week-18-of-2022-nfl-season

If green bay wins they are in.  Seattle is in the 7th spot, but needs GB to lose.

Oh dam….  Thanks. I wonder why they have seattle listed in the 7th spot.  How does that make sense if they have the same record

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Oh dam….  Thanks. I wonder why they have seattle listed in the 7th spot.  How does that make sense if they have the same record

A tiebreaker must flip the other way with wins by GB and Seattle next weekend. 

8 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know, New Era, maybe common opponents?

I don’t know, could be. I didn’t dig.

Figured it out. Detroit holds head to head tiebreaker over GB, but Seattle has the head to head over Detroit. If it were just between Seattle and GB then GB would be in the 7th slot. 

Edited by LeviF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I hear ya, ef digging on a day like today!!

I think it’s Conference Wins, but could be wrong.

it’s still strange to me though. gB is already 1 up on them, so I’d think they would be listed higher.

14 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

GB has a better conference record than Seattle 6/5 vs 5/6.

Yeah, that’s it….but why is seattle listed in the 7 slot then….that’s what makes no sense to me 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

it’s still strange to me though. gB is already 1 up on them, so I’d think they would be listed higher.

Yeah, that’s it….but why is seattle listed in the 7 slot then….that’s what makes no sense to me 

I'll admit up front, Im in no way sure how the tie breakers go, but maybe opponents record or even common opponents record? Which could flip-flop with GB playing Detroit and Seattle playing LA. Both are common opponents.🤷

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Green Bay would have better conference record, but Seattle beat Detroit.  So Seattle has tiebreaker on Detroit, but not GB. 

Three-way tie right now must have common opponents tiebreaker or something that gives the nod to Seattle

Edited by Casey D
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

New Era, I need this freaking game to start.  I may or may not be currently bouncing off the walls!

Go Bills!

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

New Era, I need this freaking game to start.  I may or may not be currently bouncing off the walls!

Go Bills!

Ha!!  Yeah me too-  about to jump in the shower and head to the bar now!!  Fired up!!

• Like (+1) 1

I know it may be unfair for the teams playing Saturday and I am happy for the lions to get a primetime game but the NFL probably should’ve waited until after tonight’s game to set everything up. Hear me out on why intrigue was lost: 

Bengals lose tonight and the Bengals vs Ravens game is for the division.

Saturdays early game could’ve been Jags vs Titans and the late Saturday game Detroit vs GB and then CIN vs BLT is for the division Sunday night. 

Huge ratings would’ve been had on Saturday and Sunday night and the lions if they win the game and the rest of the country would be watching a lame Seattle vs rams game to see if they get in. 

Now saying all of this I’m selfishly fine with chiefs vs raiders being the Saturday early game because now the Bills will have a chance to rest starters depending on the outcome of tonight’s game and next Saturdays game. 

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I know it may be unfair for the teams playing Saturday and I am happy for the lions to get a primetime game but the NFL probably should’ve waited until after tonight’s game to set everything up. Hear me out on why intrigue was lost: 

Bengals lose tonight and the Bengals vs Ravens game is for the division.

Saturdays early game could’ve been Jags vs Titans and the late Saturday game Detroit vs GB and then CIN vs BLT is for the division Sunday night. 

Huge ratings would’ve been had on Saturday and Sunday night and the lions if they win the game and the rest of the country would be watching a lame Seattle vs rams game to see if they get in. 

Now saying all of this I’m selfishly fine with chiefs vs raiders being the Saturday early game because now the Bills will have a chance to rest starters depending on the outcome of tonight’s game and next Saturdays game. 

They must know Lamar is out.  

No way they’re putting that Ravens team on SNF back to back weeks.  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Currently GB is 6-5 vs the NFC & Seattle is 5-6. They didn't play eachother so it would go to the conference record tiebreaker.

Lions, Seahawks & Packers all even at 8-8. I have no idea why GB is 9, possibly because they are 3-2 in the NFC North while the Lions are 4-1.

I remember back in the 1970s the Bears won an obscure point differential tiebreaker over the Redskins.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like it would have been smarter to make Lions/Packers the Saturday Night game and Titans/Jaguars the Sunday Night game.  I know the Lions/Packers will be meaningful no matter what but if the Seahawks win the Lions will be out and just playing spoiler.  Would have been better to show that game on primetime Saturday when you know for sure the Lions will still be alive in the playoff race.

Edited by Talley56
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

Green Bay would have better conference record, but Seattle beat Detroit.  So Seattle has tiebreaker on Detroit, but not GB. 

Three-way tie right now must have common opponents tiebreaker or something that gives the nod to Seattle

33 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

Currently GB is 6-5 vs the NFC & Seattle is 5-6. They didn't play eachother so it would go to the conference record tiebreaker.

Lions, Seahawks & Packers all even at 8-8. I have no idea why GB is 9, possibly because they are 3-2 in the NFC North while the Lions are 4-1.

I remember back in the 1970s the Bears won an obscure point differential tiebreaker over the Redskins.

There is not a 3-way tie technically; only a 2-way tie between SEA and DET. Division tie breakers are used first between GB and DET to rank them in the NFC North division. DET beat GB earlier, so they are ranked ahead of GB.

Then the conference tie is now between DET and SEA (GB is already eliminated because of the above). Since SEA beat DET earlier, they are ranked higher than DET in the playoff standings, for now. 

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

It's because when multiple teams are involved in a wildcard tiebreaker, the first step is to break the tie between any teams that are in the same division. The Lions currently win the tiebreaker with the Packers because they won their head-to-head matchup. So the Packers are out of the equation. Then the tiebreaker goes to the Lions and Seahawks. The Seahawks win because they beat the Lions head-to-head. So the Seahawks are currently in 7th. Eighth and ninth go back to the Lions beating the Pack, so Lions are currently 8th and the Packers 9th.

If the Packers beat the Lions next week they will no longer be tied. And even if the Seahawks also win they will lose the tiebreaker to the Packers due to conference record. That will give the 7th to the Packers.

As a note to the Bears/Redskins story, somewhere, I think around 20 years ago, the league changed the tiebreakers, and point differential, while still on the list, is much farther down the. I'm almost positive since that change no tiebreaker has gone further than strength of victory. My two cents.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Tuco said:

As a note to the Bears/Redskins story, somewhere, I think around 20 years ago, the league changed the tiebreakers, and point differential, while still on the list, is much farther down the. I'm almost positive since that change no tiebreaker has gone further than strength of victory. My two cents.

That is correct.

I liked it better when there were 6 teams in the playoffs. It's almost like the NHL & NBA now, nearly half the teams get in.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

That is correct.

I liked it better when there were 6 teams in the playoffs. It's almost like the NHL & NBA now, nearly half the teams get in.

I liked it better when there were six , five team divisions and only 5 from each conference got in. Half your games were divisional. All division winners got a bye while the wildcards played. But I guess I'm old. Even when they went to 6 teams it was still better when the league had 30 teams and 6 divisions.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.