Status of the AFCE going forward

Inigo Montoya

Jets:

I think the Jets stay put with Mike White. I'm not sure there is anyone out there worth bringing in. The Jets have built a terrific all-around roster that maybe rivals the Bills outside of the QB position. Good they get someone like Derek Carr via Trade? And how much of an upgrade would he be over Mike White? Carr is one of those bi-polar QB's where any week you never really know what you are going to get.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dolphins; 

Cap Space;  Negative $6.7 mm (26th in the NFL)

Draft Capital;  No 1st or 4th rounder.  One pick in each of the other rounds.  Projected draft position 18-22 range.

The Dolphins amassed a war chest of cap space and draft picks over the last couple of season but all of that is gone now. They should have two 1st rounders this year but lost a 1st rounder for tampering with Brady and then traded away their other 1st rounder for Bradley Chubb.  The issue with the Dolphins starts and stops with Tua.   He played well in the beginning of the season but it looks like defenses have caught up with his game and now he's struggling.  Despite the best 1/2 WR tandem in the NFL, Tua is not getting the job done.  The Phins have solid pieces on their roster but they're learning the hard way that without a legit QB it is hard to win a championship.  With a big question mark at QB and no draft capital to draft or trade for one, they might be forced to go into the free agent market and overpay for a Garoppolo, Minshew, Brady, or Rodgers.  My guess is they ultimately give Tua one more year to straighten things out and if he can't they'll have a 1st rounder in 2024 and can jump back into the QB draft sweepstakes.  The Dolphins are not a bad team and they play the Bills hard, but I think they have a ceiling below the Bills with Tua under center.

Jets;  

Cap Space; $15.9 mm  (15th in the NFL)

Draft Capital;  They have all of their picks except a 5th rounder, and have five 6th rounders.  Should be drafting in the 15-18 range.

Like the Dolphins, the Jets had a mountain of draft capital and cap space over the last couple of seasons and Joe Douglas has spent it building a solid roster adding talent on both sides of the ball.  Unfortunately for Joe Douglas, he also drafted Zach Wilson.  This is reportedly not a great QB draft, and the Jets could roll the dice with another 1st round QB again or jump into the Garoppolo, Minshew, Rodgers, Brady sweepstakes.   I think a game managing Garoppolo would be a good fit there.  Their defense is legit and they have quality skill position players and will get Breece Hall back next season.  They just need a QB.  Let's hope they don't find one. 

Patriots;   

Cap Space;  $54 mm  (4th in the NFL)

Draft Capital; They have all of their picks and an extra 3rd/4th rounder, and three 6th rounders.  Should be drafting in the 15-18 range.

Their roster is devoid of any significant talent.  Belichick has eliminated any chance Mac had to develop this season with his bizarre 'no offensive coordinator" move.  That team is more than a single draft and free agency away from relevance.  I know players will follow the money to a point,  but I don't think a lot of free agents want to go to New England anymore.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert Kraft clean house this off season and turn the franchise keys over to some fresh blood.  The status quo with Belichick going forward means more .500 season in Foxborough.  I think as long as Bill is calling the shots there they are going to continue to struggle.  From best coach in the league to anchor in three short years.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy or franchise.  The Pats are at least two seasons away from giving the Bills any trouble.

Bills;

Cap Space;  Negative $3.5 mm  (25th in the NFL)

Draft Capital;  The Bills have their 1st-6th round selections, and an extra 6th.  They traded their 7th for Dean Marlowe.  They will have the last pick of the 1st round 🙂

We all know where the Bills are as a franchise, no need to summarize.

In short, none of our AFCE competitors have a franchise QB, and not much of a chance to get one outside of the free agent market.  An aging Brady and Rodgers in the division doesn't scare me like it used to. I don't think they have much left in the tank.  Minshew has moxy but isn't a franchise QB.  Garoppolo is a game manager who could work for the Jets or Dolphins but wouldn't move the dial much in New England.  If Josh stays healthy I think we have at least 1-2 more seasons where the Bills are the class of the division.  It's hard to win in this league without a franchise QB.  It can be done, the 49ers come to mind, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule.

Phins:

Tua is going nowhere! Nobody seriously thinks that. Despite his problems, this is a QB with a near league-leading passer rating, and at time I last checked, the #1 and #9 most productive WRs this year. He led the pro bowl voting. There will be no Brady, garapollo, or Rodgers in Miami. Don't get me wrong here, my first sentence isn't just about tua playing elsewhere, it's also applicable to the phins with tua- going nowhere.

With the landscape of the AFC, the fish need to learn how to play in the cold. All they took away from buffalo was a moral victory, and I continue to believe that though their stadium is dangerous for opposing players early in the season, it's an advantage for opponents late in the season when cold weather teams feel like it's summer and phin players are hiding behind d the heaters in ~50° weather.

Their McD is still in diapers, but he has shown enough to think he might be a real good offensive coach if he can reel in some bad decisions (like throwing constantly even though running was working vs us)

Overall the roster is pretty loaded, though they lack resources to improve upon it this off-season. They will have to hope for growth from tua and McD. And that's the right approach imo if I were a fan of them 

Jets:

No mention of mikewhite? If I was a jet fan, I'd be handing the keys to this kid. He hasn't exactly looked like a manning out there, but to quote R Lee Ermy "he's got guts, and guts is enough". Jets should move on from Wilson, Flacca, and anyone else they have and bring in fresh blood, but for now it's mikewhite s job to lose. And the locker room loves him! I'd be shocked if they went for any of the FAs mentioned unless garapollo wants to join and open competition w/ white.

Saleh is a solid coach. A little bit of the Dan Campbell "heart on his sleeve" type, but a good, likable coach nonetheless. I'm sure jet fans like watching him get animated on the sidelines. As with the phins, I think the correct course of action is to roll with White and Saleh and hope they grow into competence. The defense is top-notch dominant, and Breeece hall is the truth.

New Jersey fans have plenty reason to be cautiously optimistic.

Pats

🥱

That is all. The whole team sucks and nobody wants to play for hoodie anymore.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

2 years Hill will be on the backsidr of his career, so im fine with it.

Agreed. Speed typically doesn't age well, and that team is all about expensive speed athletes. Other than QB, Miami is built to win now, or next year. But poor Dolphins: their window of opportunity coincides with ours.

The Jets are going to be a pain in the @$$ for a few years, the Phins are pretty good all around, with a healthy Tua or a decent game manager, they are going to be in games.  The Pats need to hire a GM and re-build.  The Bills have to add some weapons for Allen.  The Bills will win the division virtually every year as it stands, bc Allen. 

11 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Provided Josh is healthy we can hit the snooze button on our way to division championships until one of the other three teams picks up a franchise QB. 

We lost 2 division games this year.  Jets had an epic draft last year.  All they need at qb is middle of the pack and if they have another decent draft they will be very tough. 

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dolphins; 

Draft Capital;  No 1st or 4th rounder.  One pick in each of the other rounds.  Projected draft position 18-22 range.

The Dolphins amassed a war chest of cap space and draft picks over the last couple of season but all of that is gone now. They should have two 1st rounders this year but lost a 1st rounder for tampering with Brady and then traded away their other 1st rounder for Bradley Chubb.  The issue with the Dolphins starts and stops with Tua.   He played well in the beginning of the season but it looks like defenses have caught up with his game and now he's struggling.  Despite the best 1/2 WR tandem in the NFL, Tua is not getting the job done.  The Phins have solid pieces on their roster but they're learning the hard way that without a legit QB it is hard to win a championship.  With a big question mark at QB and no draft capital to draft or trade for one, they might be forced to go into the free agent market and overpay for a Garoppolo, Minshew, Brady, or Rodgers.  My guess is they ultimately give Tua one more year to straighten things out and if he can't they'll have a 1st rounder in 2024 and can jump back into the QB draft sweepstakes.  The Dolphins are not a bad team and they play the Bills hard, but I think they have a ceiling below the Bills with Tua under center.

Jets;  

Draft Capital;  They have all of their picks except a 5th rounder, and have five 6th rounders.  Should be drafting in the 15-18 range.

Like the Dolphins, the Jets had a mountain of draft capital and cap space over the last couple of seasons and Joe Douglas has spent it building a solid roster adding talent on both sides of the ball.  Unfortunately for Joe Douglas, he also drafted Zach Wilson.  This is reportedly not a great QB draft, and the Jets could roll the dice with another 1st round QB again or jump into the Garoppolo, Minshew, Rodgers, Brady sweepstakes.   I think a game managing Garoppolo would be a good fit there.  Their defense is legit and they have quality skill position players and will get Breece Hall back next season.  They just need a QB.  Let's hope they don't find one. 

Patriots;   

Draft Capital; They have all of their picks and an extra 3rd/4th rounder, and three 6th rounders.  Should be drafting in the 15-18 range.

Their roster is devoid of any significant talent.  Belichick has eliminated any chance Mac had to develop this season with his bizarre 'no offensive coordinator" move.  That team is more than a single draft and free agency away from relevance.  I know players will follow the money to a point,  but I don't think a lot of free agents want to go to New England anymore.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert Kraft clean house this off season and turn the franchise keys over to some fresh blood.  The status quo with Belichick going forward means more .500 season in Foxborough.  I think as long as Bill is calling the shots there they are going to continue to struggle.  From best coach in the league to anchor in three short years.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy or franchise.  The Pats are at least two seasons away from giving the Bills any trouble.

Bills;

Draft Capital;  The Bills have their 1st-6th round selections, and an extra 6th.  They traded their 7th for Dean Marlowe.  They will have the last pick of the 1st round 🙂

In short, none of our AFCE competitors have a franchise QB, and not much of a chance to get one outside of the free agent market.  An aging Brady and Rodgers in the division doesn't scare me like it used to. I don't think they have much left in the tank.  Minshew has moxy but isn't a franchise QB.  Garoppolo is a game manager who could work for the Jets or Dolphins but wouldn't move the dial much in New England.  If Josh stays healthy I think we have at least 1-2 more seasons where the Bills are the class of the division.  It's hard to win in this league without a franchise QB.  It can be done, the 49ers come to mind, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule.

I could see either the Pats* or the Jets making a bid for Gardner Minshew. I think Minshew would be a pretty good fit in New Jersey.

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hard to believe but I think that’s true. Yikes

Yes…

win out they are 9-8.

Pats loss make them a 9+ loss team

jets have tiebreaker with Miami because of season sweep.

whomever finishes 2nd place at 9-8 gets a WC spot

at 8-9 in 2nd place gets complicated.

this could occur with NE WL, FINS LL, and Jets LW. All 3 at 8-9, Pats get 2nd in tiebreakers.

thrn the tiebreaks come into play.

any/ all of Pittsburgh, JAX/ TEN, Raiders, and Chargers can be 8-9. If Raiders and   chargers are tied at 8-9, Raiders in 2nd.

then it goes to tiebreaks.  That Raiders-Patsfinish could come back to haunt .

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dolphins; 

Jets;  

Patriots;   

Bills;

Miami has their 1st. In 23.

they had SF 1st that they traded to Denver for Chubb.  They got SF 1st from their trade up in 21 draft to 3rd OA to draft that QB.

12 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Miami has their 1st. In 23.

they had SF 1st that they traded to Denver for Chubb.  They got SF 1st from their trade up in 21 draft to 3rd OA to draft that QB.

I believe Miami lost its 1st round pick due to "Tampering" charges against Tom Brady.  THe 2nd 1st rounder was traded for Chubb.

I could see the Jets going after someone like Jimmy G or Mayfield. Mike White is a nice story for them, but he is an average starter at best or great backup. Not the long-term answer. The next franchise (potential) QB for them is either playing in HS or college. I hope they never find one and remain in QB hell.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe Bills are due for a pick that becomes a stud immediately which will keep us secure at the top.   When is the last time we had that?  Jets absolutely crushed the last draft, GB gets Watson, NO gets Olave, etc…. I mean, it’s only been since 1970 that the Bills actually had a rookie of the year in Dennis Shaw. 

When is the last the Bills had a pick become an immediate stud?

Hope like hell it’s on the O Line.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Phins:

Tua is going nowhere! Nobody seriously thinks that. Despite his problems, this is a QB with a near league-leading passer rating, and at time I last checked, the #1 and #9 most productive WRs this year. He led the pro bowl voting. There will be no Brady, garapollo, or Rodgers in Miami. Don't get me wrong here, my first sentence isn't just about tua playing elsewhere, it's also applicable to the phins with tua- going nowhere.

With the landscape of the AFC, the fish need to learn how to play in the cold. All they took away from buffalo was a moral victory, and I continue to believe that though their stadium is dangerous for opposing players early in the season, it's an advantage for opponents late in the season when cold weather teams feel like it's summer and phin players are hiding behind d the heaters in ~50° weather.

Their McD is still in diapers, but he has shown enough to think he might be a real good offensive coach if he can reel in some bad decisions (like throwing constantly even though running was working vs us)

Overall the roster is pretty loaded, though they lack resources to improve upon it this off-season. They will have to hope for growth from tua and McD. And that's the right approach imo if I were a fan of them 

Jets:

No mention of mikewhite? If I was a jet fan, I'd be handing the keys to this kid. He hasn't exactly looked like a manning out there, but to quote R Lee Ermy "he's got guts, and guts is enough". Jets should move on from Wilson, Flacca, and anyone else they have and bring in fresh blood, but for now it's mikewhite s job to lose. And the locker room loves him! I'd be shocked if they went for any of the FAs mentioned unless garapollo wants to join and open competition w/ white.

Saleh is a solid coach. A little bit of the Dan Campbell "heart on his sleeve" type, but a good, likable coach nonetheless. I'm sure jet fans like watching him get animated on the sidelines. As with the phins, I think the correct course of action is to roll with White and Saleh and hope they grow into competence. The defense is top-notch dominant, and Breeece hall is the truth.

New Jersey fans have plenty reason to be cautiously optimistic.

Pats

🥱

That is all. The whole team sucks and nobody wants to play for hoodie anymore.

Well played wrt Tua/Dolphins going nowhere.

But I'll be surprised if the Jets go into next season with Mike White as the starter. Garoppolo with White as the backup would make sense for them.

The Jets and Dolphins are a QB away. Maybe the Jets more so than Miami. The Jets with Tua are likely scarier than Miami is  at their peak. 

If I am either franchise I likely consider having serious talks with Payton and what his plans for QB would be. I think both current staffs have both teams in a decent spot, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on Payton and a new QB. 

What’s Interesting is for 20 years the AFCE has one QB in it. Fast forward and the first rounds of Answers to the new 1QB (Allen) seems to have failed. 

22 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Jets:

I think the Jets stay put with Mike White. I'm not sure there is anyone out there worth bringing in. The Jets have built a terrific all-around roster that maybe rivals the Bills outside of the QB position. Good they get someone like Derek Carr via Trade? And how much of an upgrade would he be over Mike White? Carr is one of those bi-polar QB's where any week you never really know what you are going to get.

They will be all in on Jimmy G and Mayfield. Watch. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bockeye said:

I believe Bills are due for a pick that becomes a stud immediately which will keep us secure at the top.   When is the last time we had that?  Jets absolutely crushed the last draft, GB gets Watson, NO gets Olave, etc…. I mean, it’s only been since 1970 that the Bills actually had a rookie of the year in Dennis Shaw. 

When is the last the Bills had a pick become an immediate stud?

Hope like hell it’s on the O Line.  

Don't forget George Pickens with the Steelers.  He is having a stand out rookie season.  He has been un-coverable just like Wilson.  Once both teams have a good enough QB these two are going to be shining lights of the NFL

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

What’s Interesting is for 20 years the AFCE has one QB in it. Fast forward and the first rounds of Answers to the new 1QB (Allen) seems to have failed. 

They will be all in on Jimmy G and Mayfield. Watch. 

They’ll get Carson Wentz and they’ll like it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/26/2022 at 7:13 AM, eball said:

Mike White has shown some moxie and could make the Jets the best of the group (behind Buffalo of course), but he has already shown a propensity for injury in his two seasons.

IF Mike White is the real deal, which he looks like he could be, the Jets will be serious competition for the Bills.  They have a lot of young talent, especially on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.