Status of the AFCE going forward

Inigo Montoya

15 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The Jets are going to be a pain in the @$$ for a few years, the Phins are pretty good all around, with a healthy Tua or a decent game manager, they are going to be in games.  The Pats need to hire a GM and re-build.  The Bills have to add some weapons for Allen.  The Bills will win the division virtually every year as it stands, bc Allen. 

I’m not sure how sustainable their roster will be though.  All those guys they got early in this draft will need big contracts a few years down the road and they will likely be hovering around .500 going forward and picking later in the draft. The best way to ensure long term success is still franchise qb and Mike white is not quite there. They are definitely on the right track a lot more so than the dolphins though 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

They will be all in on Jimmy G and Mayfield. Watch. 

This is correct.  I hope for Mayfield's sake that he stays in Los Angeles because the Jets as a franchise are miserable at developing quarterbacks.  Garoppolo makes a ton of sense for both parties.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know, man...

I read on the Dolphins forum that the Dolphins are "Better than Buffalo now and going forward". 

Here, see for yourself!

https://finheaven.com/threads/we-are-better-team-than-buffalo-now-and-going-forward.376281/

We are better Team than Buffalo now and going forward.

1. This is year one for Mike as a Coach and he already ahead of Sean Mc Dermott
2. Our Dline and pass rush barring major injuries is going to be elite. Chubb will come along
and Phillips is going to be a Probowler
3. Tua and thw WR units are only going to get better in this system
4. Wilson and Monstert are going to be a major running attack combo that even our coach can not ignore.
5. Defense will not have the rash of injuries to secondary like this year.
6. Josh Allen is going to wear his body down as he keeps running and abusing it.
7. If Buffalo does not get to the Superbowl this year they will drop off.
8. We will find a way to get everyone paid by letting Gesicki and Jones walk
and over restructring.
9. We were one game out of the division even with our QB out 3.5 games
10. Tua can play in the snow and heat.

• Haha (+1) 2

Mayfield will spontaneously combust at the podium by week 5 playing in the NYC market.

The Patriots are an interesting one.  Lots of cap room. It does seem like they have a ton of holes, a very average roster... but somehow remain competitive.  I wonder if they can dislodge Lamar Jackson.  If Im a Patriots fan, Im really hoping they can belichick and rebuild the football program with a modern-day executive/coach.

The Dolphins dont concern me too much.  They are good, but they are a 1-2 trick pony:  WR speed and good pass rush.  That is easily beat and probably maxes out at 9-11 wins in any season.  They also have a short window.

The Jets are a bit of a concern with their young playmakers.  With Jimmy G or something (if he can stay healthy), I can see them becoming kind of a San Francisco East type of team.  Just a pain in the butt.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't know, man...

I read on the Dolphins forum that the Dolphins are "Better than Buffalo now and going forward". 

Here, see for yourself!

https://finheaven.com/threads/we-are-better-team-than-buffalo-now-and-going-forward.376281/

The Bills were 1 game out in 2007 as well.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

I could see the Jets going after someone like Jimmy G or Mayfield. Mike White is a nice story for them, but he is an average starter at best or great backup. Not the long-term answer. The next franchise (potential) QB for them is either playing in HS or college. I hope they never find one and remain in QB hell.

I don't want to see that happen but I'm thinking Jimmy G will be their answer next season.

Jimmy G is not re-signing in SF and with his style of play he would fit perfectly with the Jets.

I could also see Jimmy G wanting to kick the Pats* butts twice a year being a big incentive.

He will bet on himself and be in the limelight in NYC and sign something like a 3 year $120M deal.

Like I said, don't want to see it but it just makes too much sense.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't want to see that happen but I'm thinking Jimmy G will be their answer next season.

Jimmy G is not re-signing in SF and with his style of play he would fit perfectly with the Jets.

I could also see Jimmy G wanting to kick the Pats* butts twice a year being a big incentive.

He will bet on himself and be in the limelight in NYC and sign something like a 3 year $120M deal.

I can’t see Jimmy G getting that big of a contract, but the rest of it makes too much sense.  I could see them coughing up 30M - ish a year, but not much more.

It seems the other teams in the AFC East are getting closer to Buffalo and we are going to have a very competitive division for years to come.  Which is why I really want us to secure the bye and win the SB this year.  IF the East gets more competitive in the future it will be even harder to get the one seed and the bye.  Of course you can still get to the big game and win it without the one seed, but it gets tougher.   The time to strike is now.

Per Jason La Confora. Zach Wilson may not be the only one leaving the Jets. Supposedly Johnson isn't really sold on Saleh. Here is what he posted about it.

This is killing [owner Woody Johnson] trust me, I know him well ... All of that booing is driving him crazy. He already wasn’t really sold on this coach. He’s going to want [offensive coordinator Mike] LaFleur out and some changes to that staff. He can’t help himself. Weren’t they 6-3 at the bye? And now they’re getting booed out of their own stadium at Christmas. I’m telling you, something is going to happen there”

LaFleur followed head coach Robert Saleh from the 49ers to become the Jets’ offensive coordinator in 2021. The Jets under LaFleur and Saleh’s coaching that year were 4-13.

• Shocked 1

On 12/26/2022 at 7:54 AM, MJS said:

I think it is less so that Tua has been figured out and more so that he is playing better teams now. He has played better this season, but the stretches of games where he played the best were all against bad teams. Now that he is playing better teams, he looks a lot worse.

He is just another decent QB who needs to significantly develop to be considered a franchise QB, which is an uphill battle for him because he doesn't have elite physical traits to fall back on.

I would argue both.

Their own fanbase admits, teams that man their WR's with over the help do better than pure zone teams.

We were mostly zone and not snuggling up to their WR like the teams where Tua had a rough time. there is video evidence proof of this.

I would say its both better teams and they are figuring out that tua is throwing to places on the field and their star WR's are just running to that spot. Can't do that when there is a man on top of the WR's as well.

I would argue both.

20 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't know, man...

Here, see for yourself!

1. This is year one for Mike as a Coach and he already ahead of Sean Mc Dermott
2. Our Dline and pass rush barring major injuries is going to be elite. Chubb will come along
and Phillips is going to be a Probowler
3. Tua and thw WR units are only going to get better in this system
4. Wilson and Monstert are going to be a major running attack combo that even our coach can not ignore.
5. Defense will not have the rash of injuries to secondary like this year.
6. Josh Allen is going to wear his body down as he keeps running and abusing it.
7. If Buffalo does not get to the Superbowl this year they will drop off.
8. We will find a way to get everyone paid by letting Gesicki and Jones walk
and over restructring.
10. Tua can play in the snow and heat.

There is is. Coming from the fans that QB has never had a completely healthy football season without missing games. 

19 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Jimmy G is perfect sense it re-creates the SF Suberbowl year with him. 

top end Salah Defende. Top Running game (when Breece is back). Jimmy G just don’t lose us games and win a few when needed. 

this is the easiest QB to Coach Marriage you can predict. And will be around a 35M a year contract but they have their QB going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Greg S said:

Per Jason La Confora. Zach Wilson may not be the only one leaving the Jets. Supposedly Johnson isn't really sold on Saleh. Here is what he posted about it.

This is killing [owner Woody Johnson] trust me, I know him well ... All of that booing is driving him crazy. He already wasn’t really sold on this coach. He’s going to want [offensive coordinator Mike] LaFleur out and some changes to that staff. He can’t help himself. Weren’t they 6-3 at the bye? And now they’re getting booed out of their own stadium at Christmas. I’m telling you, something is going to happen there”

LaFleur followed head coach Robert Saleh from the 49ers to become the Jets’ offensive coordinator in 2021. The Jets under LaFleur and Saleh’s coaching that year were 4-13.

La Conjecture. 

if Johnson’s and Jets move on from Saleh they will go right back in the pits of the AFCE 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

La Conjecture. 

if Johnson’s and Jets move on from Saleh they will go right back in the pits of the AFCE 

Story could be BS. Never underestimate the stupidity of Woody Johnson. After starting 6-3 they are now 7-8. So, 1-5 in their last 6. While WJ was kept in the loop on the Saleh hire, he was in England when this happened. Now that he is back and involved with the team maybe his opinion of Saleh has changed. Who knows what is going on. Hope it's the Jets being SOJ.

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Story could be BS. Never underestimate the stupidity of Woody Johnson. After starting 6-3 they are now 7-8. So, 1-5 in their last 6. While WJ was kept in the loop on the Saleh hire, he was in England when this happened. Now that he is back and involved with the team maybe his opinion of Saleh has changed. Who knows what is going on. Hope it's the Jets being SOJ.

I get it. But I also don’t give any grain of salt that comes out of the lying La Conjecture 

One thing has come into play since I made the OP, Tua's new concussion will muddy the waters further for the Dolphins going forward.  Even if they believe Tua is a solid enough QB to give a second contract to, now his durability is a major concern.  He had durability concerns coming out of college and now he's been stacking concussions.

Any second QB contract at market value will have greater than $100mm in guaranteed money on the line.  The top ten active QB contracts in the NFL right now all have over $100 mm guaranteed.  That may be a tough pill to swallow for the Dolphins.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

One thing has come into play since I made the OP, Tua's new concussion will muddy the waters further for the Dolphins going forward.  Even if they believe Tua is a solid enough QB to give a second contract to, now his durability is a major concern.  He had durability concerns coming out of college and now he's been stacking concussions.

Any second QB contract at market value will have greater than $100mm in guaranteed money on the line.  The top ten active QB contracts in the NFL right now all have over $100 mm guaranteed.  That may be a tough pill to swallow for the Dolphins.

Well there is nothing they can do about it for the future. 

Tua will be their qB in 23. Which also means they will pick up his 5th year option for 24. 

They are in cap hell and most 23 picks gone (had 2 1st ready to move in from Tua) lost one due to owner tampering and the other trading for a AVG DE in Chubb. Compounded that problem giving him 120M. 

21 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m not sure how sustainable their roster will be though.  All those guys they got early in this draft will need big contracts a few years down the road and they will likely be hovering around .500 going forward and picking later in the draft. The best way to ensure long term success is still franchise qb and Mike white is not quite there. They are definitely on the right track a lot more so than the dolphins though 

I believe Tua is a much better QB and will bring a lot more stability to the Dolphins organization than Mike White. 

As Benny The Butcher said:

"You know who the Beasts of the AFC East,

We gonna grind this thing out for 17 weeks,

Hatin' on the Bills then you way off..

Talk is cheap...  

Meet us in the playoffs..."

Edited by Big Turk

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I believe Tua is a much better QB and will bring a lot more stability to the Dolphins organization than Mike White. 

I don't see him having a long career. Three concussions this year alone. I am no doctor, but he probably should think about retirement. His quality of life is much more important than his NFL career.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.