Status of the AFCE going forward

Inigo Montoya

17 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

It seems the other teams in the AFC East are getting closer to Buffalo and we are going to have a very competitive division for years to come.  Which is why I really want us to secure the bye and win the SB this year.  IF the East gets more competitive in the future it will be even harder to get the one seed and the bye.  Of course you can still get to the big game and win it without the one seed, but it gets tougher.   The time to strike is now.

It always seems that way. But just like the Brady Years none of what it seems is reality if the QB play isn’t there. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I believe Tua is a much better QB and will bring a lot more stability to the Dolphins organization than Mike White. 

I think the dolphins know what they have in tua and they will definitely be looking to upgrade when his contract is up…he’ll probably get another starting job somewhere though. mike white is still a pretty big question mark 

18 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

It seems the other teams in the AFC East are getting closer to Buffalo and we are going to have a very competitive division for years to come.  Which is why I really want us to secure the bye and win the SB this year.  IF the East gets more competitive in the future it will be even harder to get the one seed and the bye.  Of course you can still get to the big game and win it without the one seed, but it gets tougher.   The time to strike is now.

I think the jets are on the right track but the other two teams are going to go backwards.  We’re just spoiled as a fan base and think sweeping the division should be easy so people are panicky 😁. The Tom Brady pats hardly ever swept the division.

josh needs one more division sweep to tie the Tom Brady era pats 

• Like (+1) 2

How comfortable would Bills fans feel going against a Tua led offense behind an OL that Tom Brady had for 2 decades?  

the answer should be not comfortable at all. If MIA can actually build an OL and keep Tua Upright they would instantly be a top team EVERY year. 

and Why I would love MIA dipping their toe back into the thing that is the unknown lotto ticket at QB. 

Edited by MAJBobby

20 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I can’t see Jimmy G getting that big of a contract, but the rest of it makes too much sense.  I could see them coughing up 30M - ish a year, but not much more.

Just looked up Jimmy G's Market Value in Spotrac and it's right between our numbers at $35M per year.

I'll go with that.  Also, what @MAJBobbycited.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

How comfortable would Bills fans feel going against a Tua led offense behind an OL that Tom Brady had for 2 decades?  

the answer should be not comfortable at all. If MIA can actually build an OL and keep Tua Upright they would instantly be a top team EVERY year. 

and Why I would love MIA dipping their toe back into the thing that is the unknown lotto ticket at QB. 

I would not be comfortable if they got a better O-line, but only if they still had Hill and Wabble. Take that speed away, and Tua's threat factor drops significantly. Tua underthrows nearly all of his long passes. The only reason they're completions is because the DBs have to give those guys 8- 10 yard cushions. They stop or comeback to the ball almost all the time.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

I would not be comfortable if they got a better O-line, but only if they still had Hill and Wabble. Take that speed away, and Tua's threat factor drops significantly. Tua underthrows nearly all of his long passes. The only reason they're completions is because the DBs have to give those guys 8- 10 yard cushions. They stop or comeback to the ball almost all the time.

Agree but Hill and Waddle are not leaving anytime soon either. 

I think the Jets are going to go after Jimmy G hard or trade up for a QB and have Mike White as the placeholder and Flacco as the mentor. They have a nice roster and will have the cap space to add some pieces but they lack a QB and that’s going to set them back from being anything more than a “good” team.

Dolphins have a lot of talent on the roster but don’t have a ton of draft capital nor do they have great cap space. They also have a fragile and limited QB in Tua. Even if they manage to patch up the Oline and add a piece or two to the defense they will be in a similar situation to the Jets tough but nothing more.

The Pats have the draft capital and cap space to make serious moves but they also don’t have a good QB and are the least talented of the three AFCE teams. Once again I can see them going on a big spending spree to add some playmakers on offense but as long as Mac Jones is their QB and they are unable to acquire real difference makers at WR they will be a solid but unspectacular team.

The AFCE is likely going to be a tough division going forward. All 3 teams will likely have good defenses and will supplement their offensive talent in some fashion. The Jets are the most threatening in my opinion because they aren’t locked into a mediocre QB situation but acquiring a QB for them won’t be easy either.

The Bills should still be able to handle the division but it won’t be an cakewalk at any point in the next 2 years in my opinion.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I’d feel quite comfortable honestly,  I’m more worried they’ll move on from tua than I am that they’d keep him.  They really don’t have the draft capital/cap space to shore up the oline any further anyway and armstead I’d assume will have a short career based on his injury history.

If you take tuas first read away in the middle of the field he looks absolutely lost regardless of how much time he has in the pocket. Their offensive scheme effectiveness seems to fall off the closer they get to the opposing end zone … they may not even be a top 10 offense in ppg by the time the season is up.  They rely on clearing out space in the middle of the field with the speedy wr threats they have and there’s big time diminishing returns the closer they get to the end zone.

They’re pretty terrible on the defensive side too  so they aren’t built well to compete with the bills long term imo.  Maybe when they dump their defensive coordinator things will improve.  Jets are much more on the right track. 

I think it’s gotten to the point where even if you believe that tua is good,  you’ve gotta weigh the injury risk and consider moving on.  He has just missed too many big games in his short career especially if he misses the game this weekend.  Two possibly 3 concussions for a qb in one season is bad news.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Gonna say Carr to the Pats for Jones + picks and then the Raiders become one of several teams attempting to trade up with Cardinals for a QB. Garoppolo heads back to the northeast signing a free agent contract with Jets. 

Edited by Airseven

9 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think the jets are on the right track but the other two teams are going to go backwards.  We’re just spoiled as a fan base and think sweeping the division should be easy so people are panicky 😁. The Tom Brady pats hardly ever swept the division.

josh needs one more division sweep to tie the Tom Brady era pats 

The Patriots won 17  AFC East Division crown in 19 seasons (since 2001).   The Dolphins and Jets won once each.   The Bills have quite a ways to match that statistics

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.