Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes - The Athletic's 2022 NFL Persons of the Year

Draconator

Paywall - But a good portion of folks here have subscriptions to The Athletic. A good read.

https://theathletic.com/4005716/2022/12/22/patrick-mahomes-josh-allen-nfl-sportsperson/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

In December, The Athletic highlighted the coaches, athletes and other figures who made the biggest impact in the U.S. sports we cover, as well as in the fields of sports business, media and culture. Last in the series are our NFL honorees: Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen. In January, Mahomes and Allen went against each other in an epic AFC divisional-round playoff game won by the Chiefs, 42-36, in overtime. Now, in the 2022 season, both are playing like MVPs and remain on a path for another AFC playoff clash.

As the fresh-faced figures navigated their climbs up the NFL ranks — one at a seemingly meteoric pace, the other in more steady, but similarly impressive fashion — the takeover seemed inevitable.

It wasn’t a matter of if the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes and Bills’ Josh Allen would secure their places among the league’s elite quarterbacks, but instead simply a matter of when.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

These two young men deserve this honor.  They are incredible talents, and incredible people.  Their parents also deserve awards for raising these men. 

I hope Mr. Pegula has put a team together around Josh that that can consistently compete with the Chiefs. 

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm sure the NFL would love to have another playoff game between these two. They're a gold mine.

But it looks like KC and Cincy will meet first.

Lot of horses before carts in that second sentence. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chaos said:

These two young men deserve this honor.  They are incredible talents, and incredible people.  Their parents also deserve awards for raising these men. 

I hope Mr. Pegula has put a team together around Josh that that can consistently compete with the Chiefs. 

Have you not seen or heard of the QB maker? Aka Mahommes mamma? I don’t think she deserves credit for raising him. Maybe his dad but….

23 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Horses are supposed to go before the cart🤪

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Always good to see journalist and media types actually using their brains, and this is a great example. Good decision to included both, and well deserved for both. They are the face(s) of the NFL now.

....on top of this Josh finally made his first pro bowl....Josh and Patrick are going to be the faces of the league for years to come.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....on top of this Josh finally made his first pro bowl....Josh and Patrick are going to be the faces of the league for years to come.

2nd he made it in the year without one, also 3rd if you count him being offered getting in as an alternate, he said no.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep, I think the Bengals lose at least one of their next three.

Ah, you think cinci gets in with the WC rather than win the division?  I’m think more along the lines of KC winning out and us losing one giving us the 2 seed

We're so used to the Chiefs winning that they seem unbeatable, while we've watched the Bills notch a series of close wins.  Well, guess what, the Chiefs are winning close games too.  Which of them is better on any given day really depends on which players are injured.

I think it's going to come down to, the Bills need to beat the Bengals in Cincinnati, once.  Either on 2 January or in the playoffs.  My strong preference is the 2 January game of course, letting (probably) the Bils AND Chiefs have the incredible records of 14-3.  The Bills get the 1 seed.

If the Bills lose to the Bengals on 2 January, and all three top teams win out, the Bills get the 3 seed since they and the Bengals both are 13-4.  So then 2 beats 7 and 3 beats 6, and either 4 or 5 wins.  Then KC plays 4/5, and the Bills are back playing the Bengals, in Cincinnati.  If they can win there, they're back to KC.  The Bills need to beat both of their peers, on the road, in consecutive games.  

I don't think the Bengals are good enough to beat the Bills twice, but let's not find out, OK?  So if the Bills win on 2 Jan:  Then KC is 2 seed and Cinci is 3 seed.  The playoffs start, and 2 beats 7 while 3 beats 6, and 4 plays 5.  Next week 4/5 comes to Buffalo before heading home for the season, while Cinci goes to KC, and one of the Bills' peers is eliminated with the other one coming to Buffalo for the AFCCG.  

A lot is riding on that 2 Jan game.  If Burrow can beat the Bills/Josh, then the duopoly The Athletic is proposing looks pretty shaky.  

Edited by Utah John

11 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm sure the NFL would love to have another playoff game between these two. They're a gold mine.

But it looks like KC and Cincy will meet first.

if the NFL wants it they can instruct zebras to help usually by not enforcing penalties on plays Chiefs strong in.  They did it for years with Pat(hetic)s.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ah, you think cinci gets in with the WC rather than win the division?  I’m think more along the lines of KC winning out and us losing one giving us the 2 seed

I think KC and Cincy will get the 2 and 3 seeds and meet in the divisional round, as happened to us and the Chiefs last year. 

27 minutes ago, BRH said:

I think KC and Cincy will get the 2 and 3 seeds and meet in the divisional round, as happened to us and the Chiefs last year. 

Ok, that’s what I originally thought.  I think we can go undefeated but I think it’s about a 60% chance atm-  Fields could present a challenge if our offense can’t move the ball consistently. His legs could be enough to keep them close and hope for a TO or 2. Cinci on MNF is the 2nd game of the behind buff @ KC imo.  I like our chances but I’d call it almost 50/50 right 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

You got it right.  KC will guaranteed 100% win out.  They have a cake walk left, 3 losing chump teams. The Bills still have a very tough team left. The Bengals who were in the super bowl last year.  And the game is in THEIR PLACE.  If the Bills want the number 1 seed they HAVE to run out. That's a tall order, a REAL TALL order.  I see KC winning the 1st seed and getting homefield throughout.

Well, the Bill's brass, blocked themselves from going to a super bowl. They have no one to blame but themselves.   They gave KC the draft pick to pick Mahomes.  Now Mahomes won't let them get into the super bowl.  He's just too good. I still maintain the city of Buffalo is jinxed.

Edited by HugeHeffner11
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

You got it right.  KC will guaranteed 100% win out.  They have a cake walk left, 3 losing chump teams. The Bills still have a very tough team left. The Bengals who were in the super bowl last year.  And the game is in THEIR PLACE.  If the Bills want the number 1 seed they HAVE to run out. That's a tall order, a REAL TALL order.  I see KC winning the 1st seed and getting homefield throughout.

Well, the Bill's brass, blocked themselves from going to a super bowl. They have no one to blame but themselves.   They gave KC the draft pick to pick Mahomes.  Now Mahomes won't let them get into the super bowl.  He's just too good. I still maintain the city of Buffalo is jinxed.

So a cake schedule or drafting Mahommes? Which is it? If the bills and chiefs meet in the playoffs again, bills will beat them regardless of where. 

1 hour ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

Become a man.  Maybe one day. 

2 hours ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

'still maintain' is redundant

The rest of this post is also terrible

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

Hahahah lmaooooo

stop posting here 

16 hours ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

Didn't you die a few years ago?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.